[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the world be better if valve never happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

Would the world be better if valve never happened?
>>
>>378003621
Probably not. Impossible to tell if another big company would be the standard for digital distribution. Think of a world where everyone uses Origin or Uplay
>>
would the world be better if OP didn't happen?
>>
Yes
less jews always a good thing
>>
Gabe prevented the jewing of the industry more than the shit he has tried (paid mods)

Imagine if you couldn't refund No man's sky
>>
>>378003703
Steam is the perfect DRM: it allows third party DRM while promising collecting data of its users
That data then can be sold and used for R&D
>>
>>378003703
I'm thinking of a world where micro transactions never happened
>>
>>378003621
yee
>>
>>378003739
No man's sky today is more finished(polished) and has more content than those western games you praise so much bought for ''only'' 49,99+tax
>>
>still buying pc games at the store
>downloading and installing patches manually
>a games post-launch content schedule is 6 months max
>>
>>378003797
Micro transactions are the fault of MMOs and facebook, not valve
>>
File: 1437532282929.webm (1MB, 450x472px) Image search: [Google]
1437532282929.webm
1MB, 450x472px
>>378003797
>tfw everyone bitched like crazy over horse armour
>now people pay thousands for skins to dress up their knife in pretty colours
We've fallen so far. I wonder what will be perfectly acceptable in 10 or 20 years.
>>
>>378003850
that's not an excuse for leading up to and including the games launch
>>
File: 1494999299748.jpg (17KB, 457x396px) Image search: [Google]
1494999299748.jpg
17KB, 457x396px
>>378003850
>49,99+tax
>not waiting for an 80% discount
>>
>>378003965
micro transactions were a thing long before horse armor
>>
>>378003621
even considering that i hate their current business model in general and trading cards / digital stickers for bajillion dollars, they at least don't FORCE you to buy those to play the games on steam platform (and their goldsrc/source first person titles and countless mods have been a ton of fun)
>>
>>378004034
Of course, but that was the biggest exposure to the mainstream microtransactions had had in full priced games. It was certainly a milestone.
>>
>>378003965
>Not dressing up your knifu waifu in pretty colours
What a fag
>>
>>378003989
you idiots should have waited 3~4 months to buy a game to see if the devs patched the game
It's my standard for western games since 2013
>>
I've amassed a 200+ Steam library for pretty much pocket money, so no
>>
>>378004141
Is the "multiplayer" still a lie?
They didn't even bother to put the sticker that denied the multiplayer part in my country
>>
File: inv 2.png (114KB, 889x524px) Image search: [Google]
inv 2.png
114KB, 889x524px
>>378004169
>made over $400 just begging for games on /b/
:^)
>>
I wish nuvalve never happened. I mean, they had a pretty spotless game record
>hl 1/2
>Portal 1/2
>l4d 1/2
>tf2
They inspired and kickstarted many genres.
If they kept going like that they would raise the standard for games today and other devs would have to fall in line.
>>
>>378003621
>lootboxes never happen
Yes
>>
>>378003621
PC gaming would be, no fucking doubt about it. Steam is DRM, plain and simple. It is becoming more and more difficult to find games on physical media or gog.com because Steam seems to be absorbing everything. The prices are usually inflated, you can't even play some of the games offline, and you need the Steam app installed to run anything you purchase. People shit on companies like Microsoft with DRM-riddled X1 launch and then swallow every last drop of Valve's cum while neglecting to realize that it isn't any better. Valve is a cancer that needs to be destroyed.
>>
File: 1494999699516.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494999699516.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>378004301
>All the hl devs have left valve
>Nuvalve will never make hl 3
>>
>people unironically defending the phone number bullshit
>>
>>378004503
I hate that shit, makes trading a fucking pain in the ass. Anything to do with phone authentication can fuck off.
>>
>>378003965
>2037
>Full priced game (200gb download) comes with the loading screen and menu screen
>Have to pay $9.99 for the tutorial
>Have to pay another $9.99 for each individual mission
>Locked into useless stock equipment unless you pay $2.99 for each piece of equipment
>Boss battles are skipped unless you pay $4.99 to unlock them
>Multiplayer requires just one easy payment of $49.99 plus micro-transactions

>Go on new-nu-neo-/v/ to complain about how back when I was a child we actually got a game
>"What are you, poor?"
>>
>>378004601
Deus Ex is already close to you m80. 1 time usage in game items and praxis kits to level up/make the game easier. Not to mention the attempted augment your pre-order shit and locking out missions to certain versions of the game
>>
>>378004431
I dont want to suck Gabes cock too much but valve until recently was an almost model company. They had great games that almost no one else put so much effort and detail in, they revolutionized many aspects of gaming and supported them. Now all they do is add hats to a 10 year old game and jew people with steam, since they have monopoly on that kind of things
>>
>>378004527
>retards kept getting jewed, so Valve added trade confirmations
>retards still keep getting jewed, so Valve moved trade confirmations to phones and now you have to manually confirm every trade on your phone
Valve needs to stop trying to babysit these kids, lets the retards lose their items
>>
>>378004601
Sounds like a future where EA and facebook control the industry.

Good thing the Oculuss failed horribly after being aquired by facebook
>>
>>378004601
> he thinks 200gbs will take more than a a few moments to download in 2037
> he thinks 200gbs will be anything other than a lightweight game by 2037
>>
File: 7ce6011d79f908fac6651df0d02ad0cc.jpg (192KB, 837x1219px) Image search: [Google]
7ce6011d79f908fac6651df0d02ad0cc.jpg
192KB, 837x1219px
>>378003621
No.

>Every game is great and each games has spawned tons of fantastic mods
>Pioneered non-jewish F2P
>Made a monolithic digital distirution platform that prevented the proliferation of tons of smaller ones (we already have Origin, Uplay, Blizzard, Beth.net, etc, imagine how worse it would be otherwise.)
>Pioneered methods to compensate modders
>Pioneered universial trading and weird stuff like the community market
>Integrated stuff like groups, curators, and profiles in ways not then seen
>Always innovating with weird shit
>Surprisingly non-jewish

My only problem with them is that they haven't made anything big recently and seem more interested in making VR experiments than actual content. They made source 2 for a reason, there has to be new games coming sooner or later. Valve is the only company I still respect.
>>
>>378004717
>deus ex
>a game set 20 minutes into the future

Is this a genius satire?
>>
>>378004834
>Defending paid mods
This is literally the only wrong thing they did, other than stopping the production of good games and letting the devs of such games leave
>>
>>378004834
What about cdproject?
>>
>>378003621
it's safe to say that while not perfect, they set an acceptable standard that could've easily be alot worse without them
>>
File: 1492685248197.png (101KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
1492685248197.png
101KB, 500x331px
>>378004834
>pay for cosmetics
>pay for mods
>use our DRM on top of everyone else's DRM
>A percentage of your money gets ripped from the Dev's hands into our pockets, literally just because we said so
>these pre-approved people will tell you what games to buy
>we will find out more ways to make you pay for things, such as trading cards, keys, badges, fucking emoticons

>Surprisingly non-jewish
>>
>>378004834
good valve died with l4d2. a game that came a year after the incompelete l4d1 for a full price featuring the shit that was supposed to be in the first game so it won't be broken

i used to love valve and gaben too. it's time to stop shilling for them they assholes now

>>378004996
the true saviors of gaming
>>
>Half Life 2
>one of the most well know and technically impressive games ever made
>end it on cliffhanger
>10 years and still nothing
So much wasted time.
>>
>>378005153
In retrospect, painkiller came earlier and made much better use of havok, i.e. Basically just ragdolls
>>
EA or Microsoft would control the monopoly on digital distribution so probably not.
>>
>>378003621
I played to much TF2 to hate valve
>>
Who ruined modern gaming more in the 00s?
Valve or Nintendo?
Nintendo introduced the most casual console of all time, which later evolved into smartphone games we have now
Valve introduced Steam and greatly influenced the DRM and microtransactions cancer
>>
>>378005282
I had so much fun with that game, shame about the sequels
>>
>>378005837
I'll give Nintendo a pass because they didn't really have anything to do with the smartphone cancer. That was all apple. The wood didn't even really have that much of an impact on gaming since most buyers treated it as a toy and never bought any games for it
>>
>>378004946
Honestly even that isn't bad, they did it because they've stated for the last 30 years modders should be paid for their work because it's a ton of effort to mod. And I don't disagree with that, it's jsut stupid-hard to make it work right and the best way is just a fucking tip jar
>>
>>378005040
>make you pay
>>378005040
>>these pre-approved people will tell you what games to buy

It's almost like their a business that wants to sell you things.

Do people actually think Steam is evil for putting trading cards and emoticons in as tradable items? kek.
>>
>>378005837
how exactly they influenced DRM? It was popular since the dawn of the industry and was never going away in general - if anything, valve has introduced the least obtrusive version of DRM, as compared even with the latter EA, Ubisoft vile attempts in managing it.
Microtransactions were popularised by mobile platforms (initially, App store).

On the light note, here's interesting overview of DRM history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEbpMgiL7U
>>
valve is the best thing to happen to PC gaming

bunch of ungrateful little shits desu
>>
File: Half life 2.jpg (398KB, 1139x1138px) Image search: [Google]
Half life 2.jpg
398KB, 1139x1138px
>>
>>378006163
A tip jar doesn't sound that bad, I have nothing against donations to good modders, but paying to someone that literally just put the model of a weapon from a game to another game is just too jewish
>>
>>378006329
This is the last thing I saw before my first GPU died

Thanks Garry's mod for giving nukes that literally nuked my GPU
>>
>>378003621
the world would be better without platform war shitposting
>>
>>378006163
>>378006367
Most of the outcry over paid mods was that very little of that money was actually going to go to the modder. Most of the money was going to be split between Valve and the developers.
>>
>>378006570
>Killing Nintendo for making consoles mainstream

I'm trying to imagine this timeline, but it ends in horror
>>
>>378003739
Because Steam Refunds was definitely done because Gaben loves you, not because of EU and AUS consumer protection laws.
>>
>>378006269
No. Carmack is. And like Stallman, Gaben is riding on the coattails of Giants or however that phrase goes
>>
>>378003621

On the one hand, we wouldn't have gotten Half Life, Half Life 2, Portal or TF2.
On the other hand, we wouldn't have gotten nu-TF2, DotA 2 or the deluge of early access garbage.
>>
>>378006706
>Carmack
Wasn't he the guy the sold his soul to Zuckerberg for about 4 billion dollars?
>>
>>378005040
>A percentage of your money gets ripped from the Dev's hands into our pockets, literally just because we said so
Retail does that too. Arguably devs get more money with valve because of economies of scale, if 5 people buy a game that's 75% off it's more money than if 1 bought it at full price.
>>
>>378006825
Not before giving us the source code to all his games
>>
>>378006825
He was already working for Oculus before the acquisition.
>>
>>378003621
Yes.

PC cucks were a mistake - Gay Ben
>>
No, they've contributed a lot to gaming in various ways. The only downside to everything they've done is what's become of them now. Valve is pretty much at a point where they can sit on their asses for however long they want because they've created an endless well of money for themselves.
>>
>>378003621
no
>>
>>378005040
>>A percentage of your money gets ripped from the Dev's hands into our pockets, literally just because we said so
Are you aware that this is how every reseller in the history of stores has operated
They sell a thing from someone else and get a part of the price as a compensation for their efforts
>>
Most of the complaints against Valve are poorly-thought baseless bitching.
>waah valve gets a cut when they sell a thing for someone else!
>waah valve gives you free trading cards for having a fucking game running and thern they have the audacity to get a cut when you sell them to toher people!
>waah games bought in their store have DRM if the publishers or devs selling them want that to be, surely they wouldn't have drm elsewhere!1
This Valve hate train is such an artificial piece of shit, retards parrotting other retards while living in their imaginary wolrd where without Valkve, everything would be fucking splendid
>>
>>378003965
There's a HUGE difference.
Horse armor is bullshit. But skins for weapons/knives are great, do you have any idea how much money you can make?

That's the difference from actual jewery and /v/ memeshit, knives/weapon skins will never be jew faggotry as long as you can make money from them. Name a single AAA company that literally allows you to buy games for free.

I spent 5 bucks on skins, made 150 bucks from skins, Valve are gods.
>>
>>378008450
>Name a single AAA company that literally allows you to buy games for free.
Playstation 3
>>
>>378004776
>le valve makes only hats meme
That and a new graphics engine, an entirely new physics engine, VR stuff, steambox, steamOS, updates for their most popular games, and 3 games are in the making.

There isn't a single company that does as much as Valve.
>>
>>378003739

You can, I just took it back to Walmart.

And I didn't have to worry about a two hour time limit.
>>
>>378008559
>, an entirely new physics engine
Is it 2004?
>>
>>378003621
>>
>>378004834
>>Surprisingly non-jewish
What
>>
>>378009681
They are currently making Source 2, and will give it entirely for free, unlike the actual jews at Unreal or Unity or Cryengine or whatever. But they've been using Source for ages, it makes sense to upgrade it.

The cool part is their new entirely homemade physics engine. Seriously, they already have Havok and can implement it better than any other studio out there, and yet they made a new one. Half-Life 3 or Episode 3 or both, Portal 2, L4D3, and source ports of CS:GO and TF2 are coming.
>>
File: 1492455729776.png (469KB, 998x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492455729776.png
469KB, 998x360px
>>378003797
>implying it's Valve that started it
>>
>>378004601
>>Multiplayer requires just one easy payment of $49.99 plus micro-transactions
Implying they wouldnt go for the sub based just like callofdudy
>>
>>378010365
They made it socially acceptable. When Oblivion tried it we booed it the fuck out, but when Valve did it to TF2, suddenly it's all memes and happy sunshine flowers of the "Hat Simulator"
>>
>>378010293
>entirely for free
>but requires you to use steam
RMS says: No

I think UE4 is actually more free.
>>
The first non-valve digital distribution service would've been EA and anyone believing them being better than Valve in a position where they have a monopoly is insane.
>>
No videogames don't affect global affairs. To think a software company would impact socio economic issues would be absurd.
>>
>>378010979
>no videogames don't
so all of them do?
>>
>>378010742
>but requires you to use steam
Can't really argue with that anon, tho personally it doesn't bother me at all, I've been using Steam since the very beginning when it was green and was used only for Valve games, never had issues with it.

But then one can say that Unreal engine requires you to get the unreal launcher (unless it changed), and Source 2 will be free to use and you won't have to give Valve money from the finished product. Unreal gives you the engine for free, but will take a cut on every sale you make from your game.

By free I meant literally free, as in money, not freedom.
>>
>>378003621
GOD NO.

Without Valve, every major publisher would have their own shitty digital distribution platform. You would need to have 20 different Uplay's installed on your computer....

AND they would all be SO much worse. Valve set the bar very high for digital distribution platforms, and other companies have had to follow suit.

I imagine if Steam didn't exist, things like Uplay and Origin and the plethora of other platforms would have monthly fees to play on them, akin to xbox and playstation.
>>
>>378011491
I also mean that in the money sense

>Unreal engine
>5% cut beyond 3k$
>Steam
>30% cut from all sales
>>
>>378010580
The difference is that with TF2, people that create the skins are paid, you can buy/trade/sell the hats, and make money from them, be it steam money, or real paypal money. That's the difference with every other company that actually tries to fuck you, and it's the complete opposite of jewish shit.

It has absolutely nothing to do with horse armors that can't be customized/sold/traded, or any other game that has skins.
>>
>>378011695
Oh sorry anon, I see your point. But in that case, with Source 2 Steam takes 30%, while UE takes 5% but Steam will ALSO take 30% if the game is on steam.
I now realise how dumb this sounds, but in the end, you get less fucked with Valve.

And someone will always take a cut. If you use Source 2, and release your game on consoles without releasing it on PC, Sony and Crosoft will take a cut.

Either way you're fucked, now the trick is the find the dick that hurts the less.
>>
it would be better if they didnt make that guy turn his head when you load up portal 2

jumped out me fucking seat
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.