[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Far Cry 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7

File: far-cry2.jpg (165KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
far-cry2.jpg
165KB, 1280x960px
This game is the best game ever made
>>
My opinion on this is on the other side of the map and needs malaria pills. Please travel to the top right side of the map to get info, then the bottom left side of the map to complete my opinion mission.
>>
I really couldn't get into FC1, is 2 better?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncHZuq5j8Vo
>>
>>377995696
It's completely different.
FC2 is like a console STALKER.
Like the modern Far Cry games, it's an open world FPS. However, the game was actually challenging since the enemy AI was hyperaware and aggressive. Also, UI elements were kept to a minimum and weapons actually had recoil.
>>
>>377994949
Certainly not the best but it was the high point of the Far Cry franchise.

Is Far Cry the only franchise where none of the games have any plot similarities or continuations with each other?
>>
>>377994949
It was boring as shit and the map was so empty and lifeless. And quoting Nietzsche doesn't make a story good.
>>
>>377996186
>FC2 is like a console STALKER.

Wtf this isn't true at all.
>>
Far Cry 2 is bad.
>>
>jamming
>a double barrel shotgun
>an ak-47
>a bolt action rifle
>>
>>377995696
For a given value of better. Its a mid point between arcade and simulation.

You can heal really easily, though not on the level of CoD regenerating health. you also need medkits, but those are not a problem.
It does not really hold your hand, guns need to be maintained or changed because they jam otherwise. There is a relative variety in missions on the surface, but they mostly boil down to doing the same thing over and over.

Also, not everyone likes that you suffer from malaria and have to maintain a supply of pills. You also more or less play the game twice: get your reputation up with a faction to move the plot forward, get betrayed, rince and repeat. Also, manned checkpoints everywhere that are refreshed once you move far enough. Essentially, you will fight you way through everytime you move anywhere.

It has arcade mechanics but demands some involvement from the player. For instance, unlocking proper guns means walking around looking for diamonds that you then use to buy a supply of weapons in safe houses. Those work very well, by comparison with the pieces of shit you will find on anyone you kill. On the other hand, it means you have to regularly go to a safe house in order to change your weapons.
>>
I know it was such a small thing, but I really liked how you could play between and side against the various warlords from all sides at the end. It's only a shame that you were ultimately forced to go along with Jackal's plan - it would've been interesting to have the option of sticking with the warlords or even becoming one.
>>
>>377994949
Original Far Cry is unironically my favourite FPS of all time.

2 is just boring after 5 or so hours.
>>
>>377994949
I've started this a while back and pick it up every so often and got a few questions. Should I really limit the game to 45 fps? Does travel ever get less boring? I'm early into the game and travel almost exclusively on the river, almost never fight an outpost and just end up going from quest giver to mission point.

I like how the rockets can go stupid on you.
>>
>>377996492
Your fault for picking up guns dropped by shitty cheap poor militia
>>
>>377997370
>Should I really limit the game to 45 fps?
where the fuck did this come from?
>>
>>377997370
>Should I really limit the game to 45 fps?
I never did this and didn't notice any problems, although I don't know what issue you're referring to.

>Does travel ever get less boring?
Not really. You could use one of the turret trucks and engage all the checkpoints you come across, but you experience much more gun wear and supply usage that way. On my playthrough, I just became lazy and used the bus system to quick-travel to whichever bus stop was the closest, and grabbed one of the vehicles to drive to the objective from there.
>>
>>377994949
>People who shit on this game unironically praised MGSV's map
>>
>>377998829
>>377998717
It was a suggested fix on the steam discussions for things like silent phone calls and conversations not triggering.

I'll just save more often because it looks like ass.
>>
>>377997254

Have you played Crysis?

It's like Far Cry but much better.
>>
>>377999614
I liked Crysis a lot, but less than FC. It's not quite as tough, and the second half isn't quite as good as the first one. Still a nice game, I wish CryTek didn't fall.
>>
File: 230959_full.jpg (95KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
230959_full.jpg
95KB, 1000x663px
>>377999890

Crysis is my favorite game. I only play on Delta difficulty and tend to not rely on cheap tactics like silencers and cloak.

I haven't played Far Cry since Crysis came out, but I used to consider it unfair in difficulty. Should I give it another shot?

I unironically love the movie
>>
>>378000128
Well, if you play Crysis without cloak you shouldn't have too much troubles with Far Cry. Google "AMD x64 patch" and maybe "AMD x64 content pack", the former gives you a folder with some x64 binaries, improves stability on any x64 OS (I still had occasional crashes), the latter has some new textures, but they're occasionally glitchy so I'm not sure they are worth it.

Grass doesn't conceal your movement, but stuff like bushes and rocks do. Don't be afraid to retreat. At some point, the game just clicked with me.
>>
>>378000375

I'll give this a shot. Does the Steam version have all this? I have a physical copy and the Steam version. I know Crysis' Steam version is a pain to mess with.
>>
>>377994949
>Clear little village thing of enemies
>Walk away to collect diamonds
>Come back, they've respawned
>Gun explodes, run away
>Die of malaria

Honestly anon this is one of my top 5 least fun games of all time. This might actually be number 1.
>>
>>378000736
>Does the Steam version have all this?
Nope, but I had no problems installing the patches over it. You'll just have to create a separate shortcut to the x64 exes, they'll be in their own folder. The version of the x64 exe is something like 1.32 or so, and I don't think that version has the infamous "enemies shooting through walls" bug. Then again, I never really encountered in on 1.4, except maybe for one place on the boat map.
>>
>FC4 gets announced
>all these threads pop-up saying FC1 was the best game in the series
>FF to FC5 announcement
>Suddenly FC2's cock gets sucked

I guess next year when FC6 gets announced it will be FC3 that gets praised as the GOTYEY
>>
>>377996186
>FC2 is like a console STALKER.
That is a grave insult to stalker, and stalker is a buggy piece of shit.
>>
>>378001186
I sure do love history revisionism
>>
Far Cry 2 has been praised at least since 3 came out tho.
>>
>>377995696
It really benefits from mods that fix some of the more annoying issues, like respawning check points and guns that degrade too quickly
>>
>>378000128
Holy shit, I completely forgot there's a fucking Far Cry movie by none other than Uwe himself
>>
FC2 is a flawed diamond, and yes I did that on purpose.
>>
>>378002348
There's nothing diamond in the boring piece of shit FC2 is
I genuinely believe people think this way because this was their first time with FC franchise, just like people praising GTA IV. This place is full of 7th gen kiddies.
>>
>>378002514
4th gen kiddie here, I enjoyed Far Cry ok but 2 did a lot of things I really loved and the setting is miles ahead.
>>
File: 816553-942192_20070822_004.jpg (431KB, 1280x785px) Image search: [Google]
816553-942192_20070822_004.jpg
431KB, 1280x785px
>>377994949
Modded? Absolutely. But even vanilla game raised some ridiculous complaints like the Malaria medicine that not even once factored in when I played.
>>
>>378002514
My first Farcry was Instincts :^)
>>
>>378002758
>the African civil war setting was wasted on Far Cry 2
Imagine if 2 was le wacky pirates and drugs island and Africa got the better gameplay.
>>
>>377996292
What about Final Fantasy?
>>
File: Mapos.jpg (111KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
Mapos.jpg
111KB, 600x375px
Why has there been no game to come out that's ripped off the best part of Farcry 2?
>>
>>378001186
FC2 has always been a game with mixed reception, some people appreciate what it tried to do despite its numerous flaws and some think it completely ruins the game.
>>
>>377994949
TWO
SANDBOXES
SHITS AMAZING
>>
>>377994949
COLD BEEAH?
>>
>>378002986
As an Australian, you have no idea how satisfying it was to hear enemies with South African accents.
>>
>>378003348
Uh why?
>>
The thing about FC2 is that like Dead Money it's always going to be hit and miss with people. Some people will always enjoy it for what it was and others need a serious dose of git gud. Honestly, the primary issue with it and Dead Money is that it doesn't hold your hand and you really can't play it however you want and most people don't like to adapt.
>>
>>378003492
Because they're the fucking worst.
>>
Fuck anyone who buys Ubisoft garbage
>>
>>378004425
Hi high-school~!
>>
>>377994949
Dunno if it's the BEST game, but it's one of the best FPS games, and deceptively deep in terms of story telling and message.
>>
>>378005476
In that it provides the illusion of depth? Sure. All it really breaks down to is "Both sides of this civil war will do shady shit to win, and the arms dealer has an altruistic goal that doesn't justify the means he uses to achieve it."
>>
>>378005901
Which is leagues deeper than anything recent.
>>
>>378006072
True. I should post Far Cry 2 in those Spec Ops The Line circlejerk threads and make them all scramble to find more layers to their "art" game.
>>
>>378005901
You could argue that it's up its own ass in the meta department, but if you really think about how the game progresses, and how every single "good" thing you try to do turns out, the game really stands out from every other game with a moral message.

It took me several play throughs to really grasp it, but the game turns traditional story telling on its head in a way that the majority of people don't notice because it runs so contrary to traditional narratives.

What you've described is the very superficial layer of it.
>>
>>378006134
I mean, they're both based on the same source material so they couldn't weasel their way out of it. Far Cry 2 is just a lot more subtle about it.
>>
>>378006214
>how every single "good" thing you try to do turns out
You don't get to do any good thing. You work for one side to fuck over the other, and then the other way round.

>>378006708
are you ok anon
>>
>>377994949
why he hold he gun upside down!!>?
>>
Nah mang

https://youtu.be/HNh5d0LnAow
>>
Someone post that vid of the weather fx we never got
>>
>>377994949
You master the game within 10 minutes and the first hour of gameplay is repeated over and over again simply to drive the story.
Anon, you have fucking garbage taste.
>>
>>378007069
>dat RPG malfunction
This is why this game is great.
>>
This game was trash when it came out. It goes to show you how bad the industry has gotten when these underage fags play it and think it's a hidden gem.
>>
>>378007326
Fuck, you reminded me about the best detail.

THE FUCKING RPGs BOUNCE IF THEY HIT AT AN OBLIQUE ANGLE.

I wish recording software was popular back when I played this, I'd love to have video of some of the banked shots I made.
>>
>>378007491
That's in the video.
That and the mortar were some of the fucking best. Also, that one grenade launcher.
>>
>>377994949
could have been the greatest game ever
unfortunately it's just one big missed opportunity
>>
>>378006753
I don't think you finished the game.
Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about. Spoilers, obviously.

You get buddies randomly. They help you, often saving your life, and you do likewise. Most people who aren't sociopaths will find themselves endeared to these characters (when I first played I had Frank Bilders for the second half of the game, who I found really endearing, probably the best buddy).
Most people will use the quicksave/quickload option to make sure they save their buddy in case shit goes south on a mission. Spending time and effort making sure your friends stay alive is punished by forcing you into arguably the hardest encounter in the whole game when they all betray you.
If you had callously let them all die like a piece of shit, there would be less people to fight during that encounter.

Sure, some games have a "no good deed goes unpunished" moment here and there, but nothing as insidious or overarching as this.

If you apply this lens to the rest of the story, you'll see this trend of punishing you for playing the game like any other; expecting to be rewarded for acting like a hero. Very few other games go against that narrative with the ENTIRE game. Side quests, sure. But not the entire fucking thing.

Even your last act to be a hero gets you fucking killed no matter what.

I don't expect people to really catch all of that, but I'm very into storytelling that departs from the standard fodder of good vs evil, paragon vs renegade, black vs white, etc. (K.J. Parker's Engineer Series, for example).
>>
>>378010224
I didn't finish the game, I got bored at some point. I know the buddies betray you, but that just seems like a "haha gotcha" moment. Not exactly realistic when they'd risk their asses to save you from the worst encounters you can get yourself into, either.
>>
>>377999438
if you don't sprint or move when you pull out the phone it wont be silent. convos aren't triggering because you dont have your game at 60 frames and vsync on
>>
>>378010407
You don't think a group of mercenaries who are paid to kill people would try to kill you for money? I agree that it would be more realistic if one or two buddies sided with you (especially the one you bust out of captivity near the middle of the game and save from torture and execution). But the game isn't about realism. It's about fucking you over again and again for assuming you know how the story is going to go because you've played so many game with same narrative already.

I'd agree the betrayal was just a "gotcha" moment, EXCEPT for the fact that you can directly influence its outcome well in advance, incidentally or on purpose on a second play through.
It's really about the first time experience, though. That realisation that all the time you spent keeping your friends alive bites you in the ass because, holy shit, this game doesn't hold your hand EVEN WHEN YOU THINK IT'S LITERALLY HOLDING YOUR HAND BY HAVING AN NPC SAVE YOU FROM DEATH BECAUSE, GET FUCKED IDIOT, YOU'RE GOING TO SAVE THEM RIGHT BACK AND FUCK YOURSELF OVER.

I freely acknowledge that most gaymurz don't give a shit about this kind of shit. I'm just trying to explain why the game is so loved by the people who get it.
>>
>>378011282
>holy shit, this game doesn't hold your hand EVEN WHEN YOU THINK IT'S LITERALLY HOLDING YOUR HAND
I have a hard time believing the encounter is that hard, anyway. The game was pretty challenging when I only had a basic rifle with iron sights and two magazines and a pistol with 2 magazines, but once you get syrette upgrades, actually good guns etc. it becomes pretty easy. Do they take away your equipment for the final fight?
>>
File: 1489395376777.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1489395376777.gif
2MB, 300x169px
>>377994949
>respawning checkpoints: the game
>best anything
>>
FC2 is the worst game in the series and the only good part was this map >>378002889
>Look at all these people and shit going about their life in the intro
>Game starts
>It's fucking empty
>YOU HAVE MALARIA NOW
>GO DRIVE HALF THE MAP ACROSS FOR MISSIONS
>NOW DO IT AGAIN
>>
This game was really atmospheric, you can't deny this. I could feel the heat coming from my monitor in a way.
>>
Africa wins again.
>>
File: 1484116617364.jpg (678KB, 2071x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1484116617364.jpg
678KB, 2071x3000px
>>377994949
3>1>4>2
>>
>>377994949

No. Not even close. And I really like Far Cry 2. The reason? The super quick respawning checkpoints/patrols and the incredibly lifeless world outside of the combat areas.

I get the point of the malaria from a narrative perspective, but gameplay wise it's an annoying thing you have to go do periodically, and it doesn't endear the people caught in the crossfire to the player because they're blackmailing you into it.

Personally, I love how fast and brutal combat is, and the tenseness of the weapons degrading as you use them. I also like that all purchases are handled in conflict diamonds.

I just wish the game had more things to do, more people to interact with, and none of the malaria/blackmail shit. Give me people to interact with, who get me to care about the setting.

By more things to do, I don't mean "climb tower #937" or "clear rebel base #64".
>>
File: 1495393015877.png (142KB, 486x417px) Image search: [Google]
1495393015877.png
142KB, 486x417px
Far Cry 3 with Ziggy's mod was probadly one of the best FPS experiences I've been ever had.

2 is nice, but the checkpoint respawning and the autistic gem searching required to get weapons make it a slightly less experience.
>>
>>378000128
Crysis is the FPS I finished the most times with Half-Life and FEAR. A true masterpiece in a lot of aspects.

But I don't get all the hate for the second half. Aliens aren't that bad, and even with aliens, we still fight a lot of koreans, this time with shit nanosuits. Then we have god tier scenery like the giant bubble forming around the island, and the ending on the ship with rain on every surface, the alien mothership and your GPU melting was pure kino.

It's a shame they never got the chance to make a sequel.
>>
>>378014558
>even with aliens, we still fight a lot of koreans, this time with shit nanosuits
You're confusing regular Crysis and Warhead, Warhead fixed alien AI to be less dumb and mixed Korean and Alien encounters pretty well.

Crysis 3 isn't bad at all.
>>
>>378002514
The setting, music, buddy system and UI are great though. Makes it very atmospheric.
>>
>>378014856
A turd is a turd no matter how well it lights up a room. You gonna smell it regardless. One of the few games i dropped and don't intend to continue unless i run out of vidya
>>
>>377994949
that's not Call of Duty m8
>>
Fuck off Ubishills. I'm not buying your new game.
>>
>>378014797
>You're confusing regular Crysis and Warhead
Oh, aren't there nanosuit koreans in base Crysis? I want to replay it now, it's been a long time.
Otherwise yeah, Warhead did plenty right, and Psycho a beast.
>Crysis 3 isn't bad at all.
I just couldn't play it past the 4h mark. The nanosuit was already perfect but they dumbed it to stupid levels, level design was plain average, progression wasn't really engaging, and while it looked great and better than Crysis, it's no way near as beautiful as it could/should have been, thanks consoles.

It shouldn't be called Crysis IMO, Crysis was something else, one of the best FPS ever made and a game that was years ahead of its time in every aspect, Crysis 3 is just a good looking FPS.
>>
It's very mediocre. It has good ideas but the execution is ass.
>>
>>378017320
There are nanosuit Koreans in base Crysis, you just don't fight any of them after the Core mission. And aliens in the base game were just dumb, they fixed it in Warhead by giving them squad AI so some will suppress you while others flank, which makes them actually pretty fun. Warhead also mixes cold/tropical environments so you go from fighting aliens to Koreans to aliens to Koreans again, and the level design doesn't turn into a corridor in the second half, too. The airfield is the perfect culmination to the game, a huge open playground of destruction.

Too bad Warhead also nerfs Korean damage to the point where it's hard to die even on Delta unless you're facing guys with Gauss rifles (in which case, you get one-shot, RIP!).
>>
The way they handled the minimalist UI is objectively 10/10 masterpiece material.
>>
far cry is absolutely garbage always was always will be
>>
>>377994949
For me its the worst videogame ive ever played and I couldn't make to finish. And I played a lot of shit games like Ride to Hell for example. Far Cry 2 is exactly opposite what I expect from video game. They tried to make it so realistic and they fucked up very hard. Beyond retarded mechanics like 2 opposite terrorist groups having bases like 50 meters from each others lol? The fucking weapons broke in middle of the fight but only for you not to your enemies. Fucking idiotic outpost respawn system where you kill whole outpost and all of them respawn like 1 minute after. Not to mention a fucking most retarded one with implementing this Malaria bullshit in a video game to make the game longer and justify collecting useless shit that dont push story further I mean really? Who thought that was a good idea might have autism.
>>
>>377994949
I appreciate what Far Cry 2 was trying to do but it felt more like a good proof of concept; which Far Cry 3 then proceeded to shit upon.
>>
>>378017978
Welp, guess I'll download Crysis and Warhead now and play them until tomorrow.
>The airfield is the perfect culmination to the game
Fuck, I have a save at this exact moment on my old as fuck PC in Bulgaria. Simpler times, before everything went to shit.
>>
It had some nice ideas and it's a fun middleground between something like stalker and CoD stuff. I was playing it recently but I dropped it because of several reasons:
>Respawning checkpoints
>Missions that move you from opposite parts of the map
>Slow cars
>Map is almost all jungle with very few interesting landscapes
>Fauna is almost unexistant
>Most life you will find are enemies in checkpoints that are more of an annoyance than a fun obstacle to overcome
>Several characters but they're all silent when they're on your hands.
So many opportunities lost with this one. You had an old russian, cute brown girls, irish and scotish cunts, a south afrikan dude.

Hunting for diamonds and weapons were fun I'll give it that.
>>
>>377995696
no it's trash
>>
>>378018505
Also unskipabble retarded opening sequence like why? Beautiful open world BUT empty and lifeless as fuck. The UI was utter shit like WHY when you bring out your map and scanner it literally takes your whole screen and you can't see shit ahead of you lol. Why? This shit game triggers me as nothing on this world.
>>
>>378000975
I remember once hitting an outpost with a single mortar shell and it set off a chain reaction of wildfires and explosions that killed every enemy in the village. Good times
>>
>>377996292
Zelda
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.