[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What RPG or MMORPG is closest to the experience of table top

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1-dnd-logo.png (158KB, 600x171px) Image search: [Google]
1-dnd-logo.png
158KB, 600x171px
What RPG or MMORPG is closest to the experience of table top DnD?

Also you now realize that table top
DnD > Every RPG ever.
>>
>>377955281
Persistent worlds of Neverwinter nights.
>>
>>377955281
>What RPG or MMORPG is closest to the experience of table top DnD?
Joining the RP server of any MMO and hoping to find something other than ERP.

>Also you now realize that table top DnD > Every RPG ever.
D&D, no. D&D is a shit system, just like almost every tabletop system, for roleplaying. "Here's a 300 page book about a wargames system, oh, a few pages have some non-combat RP stuff I guess."
A much more interesting system for genuine roleplaying would be a "Drama System" like Hillfolk.
>>
>>377956032

Disagree and those 300 page rule books are there as a guideline as well as to add additional depth. By no means are they mandatory. If you lack the creativity to tailor the system to how your group wishes to play that's on you. There is an immense amount of content available to draw from among all editions of D&D that Hillfolk doesn't even come close.
>>
>>377955281
From what I remember, the old Neverwinter Nights games allowed you to piece together a campaign and then allow others to remotely access your campaigns and play in them.

Past that, there is Tabletop Simulator, Roll20, and so on.

Past that, there are the actual D&D games (if you have a fetish for the mechanics) or the more immersive sim games like Witcher/Mass Effect (for characters) or the ever popular Deus Ex/Fallout (for worlds).

>Also you now realize that table top DnD > Every RPG ever.
That's some pretty bad taste.

I mean, if you specifically want to play D&D, then sure. D&D would be better than something like Fate Core at dungeon crawling. But if you just want a general fantasy setting, then there are plenty of other systems which could handle that. Savage Worlds, RuneQuest, Burning Wheel, and many others. A lot of them actually have interesting campaign settings, and don't fret themselves over a clunky as shit system while still giving you all the skills "necessary to roleplay".

Although I'm only familiar with AD&D, D&D3e, and D&D4e, so I don't know how well D&D5e turned out. Although I've heard it wasn't great, just not as invasive.
>>
>>377957531

Having played the tabletop games you named among many others I can tell you that none of them are any fun following their systems to a T. Campaign settings being more interesting than another is pretty subjective and with enough creativity you can make any setting tons of fun.
>>
>>377958218
True, but in something like Savage World, you can play a character focused on summoning magic by just leveling up your Summoning Magic skill and otherwise sticking with RP reactions. In D&D, you need to focus on entering some sort of Summoning Prestige Class which involves specific feats gained every three levels and a required skill rank, and hope your DM hasn't disallowed it because it wasn't in a book they own, while wondering which of the summoning rules and spellcasting options your DM is ignoring for the sake of simplicity and which ones they are studiously keeping track of.
>>
File: Wizardry 4.png (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry 4.png
172KB, 1920x1080px
>>377955281
Wizardry 1, 2, 3
Wizardry 4 after you beat the first three games
The Dark Spire for DS
>>
>>377955281
DivOS2 is getting a GM mode.
>>
>>377958898
>after you beat the first three games
>implying that is going to help
>>
>>377955281
Single Player: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Multiplayer: Divinity: Original Sin

Real talk though, Divinity OS blows every other game the fuck out of the water when it comes to being a "DnD" experience. Not quite as fun alone as with friends though.
>>
>>377958982
At least you will learn about some basic mechanics and the monsters you will summon. For everything else is fucked.
>>
>>377956032
if you want to pretend to be someone else so badly then just join a LARP or an eRPG group, faggot. What makes D&D fun is going on an adventure with your friends and killing shit. RP autists like you ruin campaigns
>>
>>377958898
I played only w8 and it was really hard, I haven't even finished it.
Is it casual game compared to old ones?
>>
>>377955281
https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_one
https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_two
https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_three
>>
>>377958865

IMO that sounds like more of an issue with your DM than D&D its self. The rules are merely a guideline and when given more freedom you can use the much more substantial content D&D offers to allow yourself a lot more versatility. I'm not saying Savage World is not as good but D&D can be played the same way as long as you are open minded, which your DM seems to not have been.
>>
File: link disaproval.jpg (221KB, 666x624px) Image search: [Google]
link disaproval.jpg
221KB, 666x624px
>>377955281
>DnD > Every RPG ever
You REALLY need to try other tabletop systems dude. There's so much more out there.
>>
>>377955281
Except the quality depends on finding multiple other people who are highly skilled at improv. I'll take scripted video games.
>>
>>377959504
D&D is trash for adventuring and killing shit.
>>
>>377959957

You don't need to rely on tons of improv if you have a well prepared DM.
>>
>>377958898
Wizardry 4 is text book artificial difficulty. The entire endgame revolves around extensive knowledge of the real life LARPing groups that the developers were a part of. Unless you were one of the few people with usenet access in the 80s then the entire fucking thing would make no sense to you.

This is a step beyond the player requiring knowledge outside. In the same game there is a puzzle that requires extensive understanding of the chakra tree of life, and the game has zero material in game to help with this. However, you can at least go to the fucking library and eventually figure it out.

To get the good ending(s) in Wizardry 4, you need to know the LARP character of one of the developers and his weakness. Good luck finding out anything about that fucker if you aren't in the developer's circle of friends. Even then Wizardry was known to be a difficult series, and Sir-Tech let it get to their heads. They thankfully realized what they did in that game was extremely retarded, and dialed it down in the later games (which are still plenty difficult, but not retarded like 4).
>>
>>377959439
Divinity Original sin 2 GM mode is looking pretty solid.
>>
>>377959691
For what I understand you have original Wizardry games (1,2,3,4 and 5) and the last trilogy (6, 7 and 8) are new and different.

You can say 8 is easier but you're not really saying much. Also, 8 is unique even compared with 6 and 7.
>>
>>377959718
>sounds like more of an issue with your DM than D&D its self
I hear this all the time, but having encountered the problem with multiple DMs - and only with D&D systems - I find that relatively hard to buy. Plus, most of these D&D systems really do try to enforce some relatively poor habits into their players. Most other systems will generally encourage some sort of quick resolution or even just flubbing it, while D&D heavily emphasizes rolling and checking skills. Hell, just the amount fo time you spend selecting character skills will influence how much focus the players put on using them, as opposed to another system where checking skills is just a common stat roll or something automatically assigned.

>rules are merely a guideline
Yes, but I don't buy a system to ignore the rules. I'd also prefer if the rules I paid for were not ass when they do get used.

Although I will note that AD&D typically didn't have most of these problems. It's mostly been the WotC versions which do, which again tends to point to something with the systems rather than a select number of people who just happen to be running the same systems.
>>
>>377960398

And I've encountered this issue among many tabletop games including D&D. With various DM's as well. I'd argue that no tabletop system is great, but D&D has the most established amount of lore, locations, compendiums of weapons, armor, etc than any other game I've come across. In some of the D&D rule books it even stresses only referring to the rules as you see fit.

Also, what you are criticizing is pretty subjective in its self. Not everyone wants that level of simplicity and a set number of skills to draw from adds another layer of depth to your character. If you don't want to deal with those components of the game you can tailor it, but at least D&D offers it for those that do.
>>
>>377955281
Drakensang
>>
File: 1494596805407.jpg (56KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494596805407.jpg
56KB, 640x480px
>>377957531
>From what I remember, the old Neverwinter Nights games allowed you to piece together a campaign and then allow others to remotely access your campaigns and play in them.

Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNxDMZhiGtU&t=7672s

Hope it turns out right.

>>377955281

Baulders Gate is the closest one to a DnD session (a DnD session where the DM has favoritism for you and you are the snowflake character while the others just watch and have drama inbetween).

>Also you now realize that table top
DnD > Every RPG ever.

You are retarded, DnD is good, but the whole expirence relies on the DM and how good is he, a novice DM can give you nightmares because he sucks, a DM with more experience but that is a asshole will make the whole thing feel like a chore to play.
>>
>>377959439
>Single Player: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

This is the worst suggestion i have seen in a long time.

DD is barely a fucking RPG, is a action game with stats tacked in, in a boring open world and a waifu creator.
>>
File: 1407784652599.webm (356KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1407784652599.webm
356KB, 640x360px
>>377960281
>artificial difficulty
>>
>>377955281
I'd rather play a shitty vidya RPG than deal with 5E at all and would definitely play it over joining some dumbass' core only 3.X game.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.