[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT remakes worse than the originals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 17

File: 51yB49yT7iL.jpg (60KB, 290x500px) Image search: [Google]
51yB49yT7iL.jpg
60KB, 290x500px
ITT remakes worse than the originals
>>
>>377952967
Pic unrelated.
At least you should start the thread with a picture of SH HD.
>>
>>377952967
why is it worse
>>
>>377953241
-Classes level instead of characters, and every new class you get both generic and unique starts at level 1
-Level and class restrictions on equipment
-A crafting system that only lets you craft one copy of an item at a time, and most of what you'll be crafting are more crafting ingredients with no other uses
>>
>>377953947
Also, it made all classes unisex with some like wizard and witch having their movesets combined and less unique roles to fulfill during battle.
>>
>>377953947
Not OP but I agree and want to add on
+special attacks (making it easy to take out the leader)
+no insta perma death, making it easy to bum rush a leader with no consequences
+having to learn and equip so many skills to make classes function.... tedious

I'm not aying it isn't 'good', but if you played through the Original and it's one of your favs, then the remake seems very grindy and easy at the same time.

Also Kachua getting nerfed.
Come on let my princess cast ANY FUCKING SPELL. She was so perfect.
>>
>>377953947
>Classes level instead of characters
Becaus its fun grinding level 1 characters.
>>
>>377956176
But in the Original you
+Never HAD to take level 1 guys. Story chars joined at your level and you could recruit enemy units your level or higher
+ If you did take a level 1 later then the start of the game you could easily use training mode to bring them up.

And in case you're being serious, not it's fun to move around on the map and win the battles.
>>
OP here
Sorry, i made a mistake. Pic unrelated.
>>
Being able to recruit whatever you want in this kind of game was really cool
I still remember my army of octopuses I'd occasionally use
>>
>>377957735
>use training mode to bring them up.
Yeah man, meaningless battles against myself are what I play strategy games for.
>>
Does anyone know where to find a working SNES rom with the translation patch? The only ones I can find all freeze at the start of the first battle.
>>
It's a been a long time since I played this but OP is right. I remember the bullshit of recurring characters losing their skills. It's basically no fun allowed the game. Play the ps or snes versions instead.
>>
>>377953947
fuck off retard. TO fans have three digit IQs and don't fall for these meme flaws.

The game is deeply flawed but none of the reasons you mention are why.
>>
>tfw no true best version of TO with the gameplay of the SNES/PSX version but content of PSP version

it would be the uncontested best SRPG ever.
>>
>>377960106
The gameplay is better on the PSP it's just unbalanced. OG is shallow and unbalanced.
>>
>>377959939
By all means, tell us the real reason the game is flawed.
>>
>>377960598
I've done it multiple times years ago newfag. It's flawed because of terrible class/weapon/skill balance.

leveling classes is good, because OP classes are meant for the world tarot/newgame+. Crafting is a minor in convince, it's poorly designed as shit sure.but you should only be crafting weapons, failure rates are not high and you can just reload a save before you start crafting. It's not a big part of the game.
>>
File: just pretending.jpg (29KB, 349x642px) Image search: [Google]
just pretending.jpg
29KB, 349x642px
>>377952967
>>
All remakes suck, play them on their original system.
>>
>>377960598
The balance is pretty bad in general
Fast classes and archers are significantly better than the slower classes
>>
>>377961089
I've been on /v/ since 2005, and inbalance is par for the genre's course. NG+ isn't a good enough justification for changes that only compromise the game on NG.
>>
>>377961564
That was also the case in the original.
>>
>>377953947
And on the other hand we get
>Significantly better renditions of the entire soundtrack
>Vastly improved translation
>World system
>More content (stages, sidequests, characters, dialogue)
>Able to skip random battles
>Significant balance changes like indirect counters, the weather system, the jump stat, finishing moves, physical attack types, environmental objects, and more

But yeah the remake is totally shit because the crafting system that's completely new to it isn't convenient.

>>377961945
But if you over level your classes in NG you get severely punished for it through enemy scaling by level tiers.
>>
>>377961945
This isn't fire emblem "mounted units are OP and archers/knights are not very good" the balance of LUCT is so bad it needs to be played a certain way just to get through without intense tedium. Everything is LUCT is OP is near unusable shit.

The class leveling does not compromise newgame at all. If you want to use OP classes you can grind them.Otherwise it is a non-issue.
>>
>>377962208
The best part is when idiots grind not realizing equipment is more important than stats by far. They face mobs with weapons they don't have access too and can't proceed.
>>
Sword of Mana
>>
FF1 GBA
>>
War of the Lions
>>
>>377962373
>Everything is LUCT is OP is near unusable shit.
But if everything is overpowered, doesn't that make it balanced?
>>
The chariot system is also pretty genius. It keeps the heavy RNG but lets you mitigate the consequences of a bad roll. You sacrifice an ideal position or attack instead of getting nothing and potentially having to restart and it's built into the world.
>>
File: 1485762154753.jpg (52KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1485762154753.jpg
52KB, 600x604px
>>377962754
>>
>>377962141
I thought we were talking about the game across all platforms honestly
>>
>>377962768
Everything is either OP or severely Under-powered mostly the latter. it isn't until late Newgame+ more things becomes OP. You really can't just use what you want early on. Certain skills must be equipped and leveled early on, certain classes just suck so bad you need an OP class to carry them if you use them. Many weapons are just terrible and have bad skills and most of the magic types are trash until very late game when magic becomes the most OP thing in the game
>>
When will Square hire Matsuno to remake FFT with an expanded script
>>
>>377961545
REmake is better than original RE in every way.
>>
>>377963140
Another problem with skill leveling is that by nature of their range, bows/crossbows will be attacks way more often than other weapons. So they level faster, and leveling takes so long they will be the only things you max until newgame+. this just makes them even more OP as they get big damage bonus and access to weapon arts faster, and of course both bows and crossbows have OP weapon arts.

LUCT just has so many little things numbers things wrong with it that could be fixed in a mod.
>>
>they left in to be continued on LUCT

there is still hope.

unless matsuno recycled all his ogre battle saga ideas into his other games.
>>
>>377963461

except voice-acting
>>
>>377963140
You make it sound like it's impossible to get through the game without consulting a guide to figure out all the best units and strategies, but I never had such trouble. I just used the units I wanted to, and only had trouble with a few suicidal NPCs and that one mission against the necromancer about 1/4 through the game.
>>
>>377959939
The class leveling system alone is enough to make the game objectively bad. The retarded skill system, crafting, damage mechanics, AI etc. are just shit icing on the trash cake.

Though to be fair, SRPGs as a whole are a broken genre and the only one I'd seriously defend is Fire Emblem 12.
>>
File: SS_0023.png (159KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
SS_0023.png
159KB, 480x272px
>>377962208
Most of that is unnecessary fluff that doesn't improve the core gameplay You can listen to the soundtrack on YouTube and the new translation has some baffling lines like pic related.

Enemy equipment scaling stops around level 27 or so.
>>
>>377963958
What's supposed to be baffling about that line?
>>
>>377962824
WotL is an even bigger case of this than Wheel of Fate.
>>
>>377963876
You don't need to look at a guide at all, it's just a lot of menus and shit thrown onto a brand new player. What is good and bad is pretty self evident early on. You just have to take advantage of it.

You also can't try to just take down bosses to end levels. You need to fight enemies to boost skill levels.
>>
>>377963949
Class leveling is not an issue. At all. an issue is lack of ability to inherent skill points/grind them effectively. AS well as the game not punishing death at all.
>>
>>377964038
He's talking like I killed Lans Tartare, when I didn't and there's no reason for him to think I did.
>>
>>377963461
Remake is a remake of a remake, it's a remake of the dual shock version so it doesn't count
>>
>>377963371
When all the top brass die and get replaced.
>>
>>377964113
>it's just a lot of menus and shit thrown onto a brand new player.
Which no one should take issue with unless they're retarded and/or have never touched any SRPG before.
>What is good and bad is pretty self evident early on. You just have to take advantage of it.
Like pretty much any game.
>You also can't try to just take down bosses to end levels. You need to fight enemies to boost skill levels.
Like any SRPG. You won't do very well in Fire Emblem if you unequip your weapons and try to bum rush every stage then only fight the boss.
>>
>>377964343
>Like any SRPG. You won't do very well in Fire Emblem if you unequip your weapons and try to bum rush every stage then only fight the boss.
There's not even any incentive for you to try that the way there is in Tactics Ogre.
>>
>>377964506
I don't know why you would think that there was any incentive to try that in Tactics Ogre either, because I certainly wouldn't.
>>
>>377964343

come back when you learn how to think. First off "everyone else does it!" is not an argument something isn't bad, secondly, everyone else does not do it and not as bad as LUCT. It's a false equivalency.

> You won't do very well in Fire Emblem if you unequip your weapons and try to bum rush every stage then only fight the boss

you don't even understand what i'm saying. And no you absolutely can beat fire emblem trying to finish chapter ASAP without routing everyone. that's what low turn counts runs are.
>>
>>377964585
Sure there is. You can give a ninja or archer a bunch of elemental orbs, give them the strongest available weapon, and have a support character boost their speed. In Fire Emblem, turn frequency and movement range are fixed.
>>
>>377964585
You end the chapter faster, it's a strategy game, you strategically took out the boss, and the game levels you the same anyway, it's just you miss out on leveling skills but not routing the enemy which is very important and not as obvious as losing out on exp.
>>
>>377964279
Isn't the main character framed for things he didn't do?
>>
>>377964712
> First off "everyone else does it!" is not an argument something isn't bad,
I fail to see what's bad about it, and you haven't explained why it's bad, only saying that it is bad.
> And no you absolutely can beat fire emblem trying to finish chapter ASAP without routing everyone. that's what low turn counts runs are.
Do not pretend that a low turn count run means not killing anyone but the boss. Neither of us are stupid enough to believe that.

>>377964878
>You can give a ninja or archer a bunch of elemental orbs, give them the strongest available weapon, and have a support character boost their speed.
You can do it, but why would you? There's no incentive, other than to finish the stage faster, and that's not much of one.
>In Fire Emblem, turn frequency and movement range are fixed.
Yeah, let's just ignore dancers and the rescue system.

>>377965039
Except you don't get any reward for ending the chapter faster.
>>
>>377965070
You get framed for the Baramus massacre on the chaos route. That's it.
>>
>>377965121
the reward is ending the chapter faster you dunce. it's a strategy game. I want to move on with the story and plan my moves to win fast.

You're a fool.
>>
>>377965121
>rescue system.
That decreases movement range, not increases.
>>
>>377965413
what? he's talking about rescue chains (hopefully). They also have limited warp staves.
>>
>>377964212
I mean the easiest way to play the game is just to stack archers and ninjas (or any other starting class), so the only reason to even bother with the other classes is for the novelty. The game has the audacity to make you WORK for that novelty, then kicks it out from under you by making the new classes, even once grinded up, turn out to be boring as shit and barely different from what you already had. The whole thing is just insulting. One of the worst experiences I've ever had in gaming.
>>
>>377965401
That's a real world reward, not an in-game reward. Your impatience is not an incentive for anyone else.

>>377965413
That depends entirely on the unit, as you can use rescue with a high-movement unit to move a low-movement unit faster than they would otherwise. Super Robot Wars has the same premise with its battleships, but likewise you wouldn't want to just bum rush the boss in those games either. And also what >>377965527 said.
>>
>>377965121
>Do not pretend that a low turn count run means not killing anyone but the boss. Neither of us are stupid enough to believe that.

You obviously do what you need to to complete the chapter, including killing the handful of enemies in your way, the same is true in LUCT except you have to kill most enemies to level skills up. FE is easier and have pre-promotes/good bases that can carry you even with limited level ups.
>>
>>377965868
You're comparing apples and oranges. You have to grind in FE if you want to level characters and upgrade them, just as you would in LUCT. Likewise, if you were to do a low turn count run of LUCT, you obviously wouldn't be doing that, just like you wouldn't be doing that in FE.
It's also somewhat silly to compare FE in such a manner given FE has many different games with significantly different balance and game flow between them.
>>
>>377965847
>wow you enjoy playing strategy games strategically and not just routing everything wtf

it has nothing to do with being impatient you autistic. You can spend more time thinking about your move in some strategy games than it would take you to just kill everything.

and why is an in game reward inherently valuable? especially when that in game reward is just more damage via skill leveling that takes too long because of bad design?
>>
>>377966221
Again, your impatience is not an incentive. You getting personal satisfaction out of playing the game a certain way has nothing to do with game mechanics.
>why is an in game reward inherently valuable?
Because it's actually tangible, unlike you stroking your ego over how masterful you were to bum rush the boss and end the stage immediately.
>especially when that in game reward is just more damage via skill leveling that takes too long because of bad design?
Saying it's bad design does not make it bad design. You keep claiming the game is grindy, but my own experience says otherwise. Either provide objective reasoning or fuck off.
>>
>>377966205
No one does low turn count runs in LUCT. that's stupid. You are just focusing on clearing the chapter and not killing everyone.

Low turn count runs are only really done in fire emblem 6-10 and mainly the GBA games. As well as SD but that's just because of broken infinite range warping.
>>
>>377966562
You are objectively retarded.

>tangible
>video game reward

>being so autistic you would have more fun getting useless in game rewards than actually playing the game well

Anon you don't think it's grindy because you like to rout everything, you don't try to clear the chapter with any sort of strategy. and the game is an insane grind post game if you want to get everything because it plays like a fucking MMO
>>
New Ogre title where you finally can play as Lodis and murder for the Pope when?
>>
>>377967028
So basically you kept bum rushing the boss, ignoring 90% of where your resources are meant to come from in the process, and then complained about being underlevelled and needing to go back and grind to make up for it.
It's like seeing a "tfw too smart for video games" thread but without any sense of irony.
>>
>people still don't realize that the game was re-balanced to be more grindy to appease japanese fans.
Trust me it could have been even worse.
>>
>>377967225
>under leveled

do you even play the game? And no, I didn't do this. I did it for a while until I realized I needed to increase skill levels to do competent damage and was then forced to rout everything. I never had to grind. The game is poorly designed by punishing you for effectively completing the chapter objective.
>>
>>377967512
The opposite. Class levels was an attempt to cut down on training mode grinding, but it backfired massively just like soul memory in Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>377967512
They could have just saved that shit for post game. It's actually cool how much shit there is to unlock and how OP you can get, but it didn't need to get in the way of the main game.
>>
File: Ravness.jpg (105KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ravness.jpg
105KB, 1000x1200px
Don't mind me, just osting best girl.
>>
>>377967805
class levels do no matter. they are not hard to level up fast. getting skill points to new characters is a bigger issue.
>>
>>377967643
>do you even play the game?
Yeah, and skills have levels. Which you just complained about needing to level. Hence your skills were underlevelled. And your gear likely was too.
>I never had to grind.
So then where's the problem?
>The game is poorly designed by punishing you for effectively completing the chapter objective.
Just because you think bum rushing the boss and ignoring all other enemies is the epitome of strategy doesn't make it so.
>>
File: 1399529827890.png (342KB, 601x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1399529827890.png
342KB, 601x1050px
>>377967837
>>
>>377967805
Class levels mean shit when you don't have points to buy skills.
>>377967837
Disgusting Phoraena sisters/Ozma or BUST
>>
>>377967940
Both made it much slower bringing low level characters up to parity than the original training mode method.
>>
Cressida BEST GIRL
>>
>>377967837
'Sup, Agrias?
>>
>>377968383
>Phoraena
>Cressida
What the fuck are these names?
>>
>>377966587
I do LTC runs of FE5, what do you want to know?

I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about.
>>
>>377968083
I'm not going for Low turn count runs. If I wanted to beat the game asap I'd just make everyone an archer which is as boring as just routing everything, but at least it's faster. I wanted to not have to go out of my way to kill most enemies on the map, a big flaw with the game in general is lack of chapter objectives.
>>
>>377957956
Different anon - the remake doesn't have you grind classes. It has you grind rank.

Every unit has individual skills, 10 slots, and some of these skills have rank. You want that knight to be a wizard? Sure! Same level, even! But to actually be useful, you need to have the skills:
-Magic (pick an affinity)
-Augment Magic (of same affinity)
-Expand Mind
-Channeling
-Spellstrike
-Spellcraft
-Anatomy (because you're going to be fighting humans most of the game)

That's 7 of 10 slots just to be viable as any wizard class, which you need pts for to invest.

And now, ranks. Certain skills like Augment (element) and -ology have 8 levels of rank. These individual skills gain rank on SUCCESSFULLY using said skill on a target (ie your knight gains jack shit in sword rank if he misses). Also the target has to match whatever the skill is intended for (ie dracology better be hitting dragons or you're not going to gain levels there)

Now add above all that the AI leveling random encounters based around the avg of your fielded army, and assiging skills and ranks to their abilities to make the fight 'fair.' No, the computer gives no shits about what Skills you have on, just that you've got an army of lvl 50 wizards. Wizards who can't do jack shit damage because their augment is entry level, and/or the thing they're attacking is some sort of -ology you didn't bother leveling up or didn't think it'd be a unit you'll be fighting.

The game punishes you for not being explorative with your job choices, and worse, if you level your units in a job too fast, you'll raise the encounter lvl and be fighting units you can't hope to win a fight against because the units you fielded don't have the rank to match the enemy damage output.
>>
>>377968629
You wanting to finish stages as fast as possible is your own problem, and it's not one I sympathise with, or an objective issue in a game where most people would normally be routing the enemy.
>a big flaw with the game in general is lack of chapter objectives.
I do agree on that point.
>>
>>377968607
Cressida is a greek name.
>>
>>377968621
V seems like a better game for normal play. it has great enemy placement and maps and is good difficulty. LTC runs are partly because the games are usually easy and not being able to do rescue chains makes LTC bland. I would never bother running V ltc, partly because of that awful fan translation though.
>>
>>377968710
>The game punishes you for not being explorative with your job choices, and worse, if you level your units in a job too fast, you'll raise the encounter lvl and be fighting units you can't hope to win a fight against because the units you fielded don't have the rank to match the enemy damage output.
This really isn't a valid problem because in order to hit the level tiers at which point enemies are boosted to their next rank you need to grind a fuckload. Way more than you do to just be able to beat stages.
>>
>>377968762
play a different genre.
>>
>>377969090
But most SRPGs operate the same. SRPGs that don't want you to rout the enemy each stage are a minority. Such a minority that I can't think of a single one that doesn't encourage it.
>>
>>377968710
yeah it sucks how essential the skills you need are, If you don't equip them all and start leveling them early the game is a nightmare. So many skills just suck hard, but it's worse that so many skills are essential. I'd rather have all skills be mediocre than some be mandatory.
>>
When I grow up I want to be a Knight of Lodis!
>>
>>377969252
obviously routing the enemy is optimal. it's the equivalent of grinding in a normal RPG. it lets bad players get by.
>>
>>377968845
FE5 is my favourite game by far both for normal play and for LTC runs. It's not actually as hard its reputation would suggest, enemies are generally quite weak and there's many solutions to the 'puzzles' the game presents. I'm working on a 0% growths warpless LTC run and hope to complete an ironman run with those same conditions.
You can definitely do rescue chains in FE5, it's the game that introduced the system. There's a lot of complexity in the game and the tactics involved in a LTC run are very varied and interesting. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're already quite familiar with the game but I've had a lot of fun.

One day FE5 will get a proper translation. One day.
>>
>>377968710
>-Anatomy (because you're going to be fighting humans most of the game)
And then comes the post-game content and your anatomy skill means shit.
>>
>>377969449
Nah, grinding is typically separated. FE has the arenas, and later games have random battles. FFT and TO have random battles too. SRW is surprisingly restricted, though the new games have DLC rewards out the arse.

Routing is the intended way to play for an average player. Bum rushing the boss is not.
>>
>>377969412
I really wish KOL would get a translation like LUCT. It's so clunky but there is a great story in there.
>>377969508
>It's not actually as hard its reputation would sugges

I know, i've beaten it, it's just harder than the other games in an easy series. I also got fucked my first time because In an escape chapter I only got a few people and leif through thinking once leif leaves everyone else does and had to play will like 4 characters.
>>
>>377969664
The average player is bad. JRPG as a genre were designed for bad players who want to substitute time for skill.
>>
>>377969779
What we really need is a Ogre Battle 64 remaster. Such a shame that game is still stuck on the n64. The only thing the game really needs is better map detail and graphics the rest can stay.
>>
>>377969920
>I'm good at the game, therefore I keep making bad decisions that put me at a disadvantage and this is clearly the game's fault and not mine for refusing to play it as intended
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>377968629
>>377967643
OK I think I understand what you're saying. I know that LUCT is poorly balanced but I don't know whether or not this specific issue is indicative of bad design.
>The game is poorly designed by punishing you for effectively completing the chapter objective.
That's how many SRPGs work and I don't think it's inherently wrong. In order to achieve the highest score, i.e. the lowest turncount, you pass up on various resources that could be obtained from a more slow and thorough clear of the map. You may need to balance the advantages of a rout with your goal of low turncounts because you will find yourself underpowered if you always aim to assassinate the leader. A good player is one that can clear the entire game in the lowest overall number of turns because they can plan out tactics that let them clear maps while being 'underpowered' and can maximize the resources gained from every turn.
>>
>>377968762
>You wanting to finish stages as fast as possible is your own problem, and it's not one I sympathise with, or an objective issue in a game where most people would normally be routing the enemy

Not him, but I have to disagree, I don't think its merely about wanting to finish the game as fast as possible, when I saw that you could end battles by killing the enemy leader I automatically assumed that was the goal, its similar to many strategy/wargames where you have some sort of HQ or leader unit to capture/destroy, you don't go around killing every single enemy unit because that is wasteful and strategy should be about managing limited resources which includes time, if the game has some sort of esoteric badly designed systems that makes commom strategy ineffective it is flawed.
'''
>>
>>377968948
It can become a problem late and post game if you want Deneb (was there a gamble during game creation to see who can come up with the most bullshit way of getting a new character or something?), have to do Galgastani deathmarch for Crissida, started doing PotD, and/or worse, finished pirates graveyard and permanently boosted enemy army levels to be 2 instead of 4 levels away from your fielded army avg.

If you don't experiment early and let someone like Canopus and Arycelle/Aloser not bail your ass every fight with archery, the units aren't going to level. And when you get new party members, their ability to be viable in a side role becomes harder to do, for example, having Denam stop being a knight late game and be a cleric class or rune fencer so he can light attune his own weapon, doing this early game is easy. Doing this late game is a point of annoyance every battle unless you trick out your AI to grind for you.
>>
>>377970315
>Aloser
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPP
>>
>>377963463
If they have modded FFT why hasn't anyone tried modding this game?
>>
>>377970237
Your first mistake was assuming that the S in SRPG stood for strategy.
>>
>>377970196
> A good player is one that can clear the entire game in the lowest overall number of turns because they can plan out tactics that let them clear maps while being 'underpowered'

and you can't do this in LUCT unless you use nothing but archer/crossbowmen You simply can't do enough damage late game. it's dumb. You would need to tread a careful line killing just enough enemies to get enough skill points. This is more like a speedrun tactic than a play the game with normal strategy style.
>>
Why do American call trpg srpg?
>>
>>377970473
That's probably it, I just thought they were going to be wargames but with pretty graphics.
>>
>>377970453
Because the community is too small it doesn't have the final fantasy name, and is less fun to play even though it would have better game play if it were given some polish.
>>
>>377970843
Some of them can be like some fire emblems.and obviously advance wars though not an rpg. Stay away from disgaea.
>>
>>377970678
How is coming up with specific tactics for a speedrun any different than coming up to specific tactics for getting as few turns as possible?
>>
>>377970753
Because tactical and strategy are synonyms.
>>
>>377970753
SRPG is the Japanese term, though. TRPG is the western name for it, which hardly anyone uses.

>>377971207
SRPG doesn't mean strategy RPG, though.
>>
>>377971117
because speed running is autistic. You are trying to break the game and carry out a pre-planned flowchart. You are not doing it on the fly.
>>
>>377971334
How are low turn runs not autistic?
>>
>>377971106
Yeah I love Advance wars to death but never tried FE, which one would you recommend in this sense?
>>
>>377971301
It does to non gooks. Simulation rpg doesn't make any sense.
>>377971603
The GBA ones, mostly FE7. Although 8 is a easier low turn count if you want to start with that. It's all about using mounted units to rescue chain others to get them to certain points of the map in as few turns as possible.

You should probably play the games normally first though.
>>
>>377968383
>Cressida
good fuck lord the unholy hell I went through recruiting that slut
at least she's worth it

Best grill is Ozma anyway, this is not debatable.
>>
>>377971931
>It does to non gooks. Simulation rpg doesn't make any sense.
Neither does strategy RPG when as has been established in this thread they very rarely require or encourage strategy.
>>
>>377970678
>and you can't do this in LUCT unless you use nothing but archer/crossbowmen You simply can't do enough damage late game. it's dumb.
That's a fair complaint, I don't like how LUCT rewards you for having all your units in the same class.

>You would need to tread a careful line killing just enough enemies to get enough skill points. This is more like a speedrun tactic than a play the game with normal strategy style.
Basically, yes. The 'perfect' run would be some sort of 'speedrun' that treads a careful line. A normal run would be less perfect and might slow down a bit to kill more enemies and stuff.
That's obviously not possible in a first playthrough, but the principle of balancing the advantages of routing maps and making the most of your turns remains the same. If you're playing the game blind you might end up going too fast and end up too weak, but you can still finish the game by grinding random battles.
I'm not very good a SRPGs so I fought most enemies I came across in the story maps and ended up at level 19 after the last boss, but I'm sure that more skilled players can beat the game at much lower levels. Ask around, maybe some people will have some tips.
>>
>>377970753
>>377971301
>>377971931
>>377972182
The Japanese call these games SRPGs for Simulation RPG. By "simulation" they are referring to the prussian war simulation military training boardgames from which the genre was inspired. In the west, we use TRPG for Tactical RPG more often. This describes the gameplay rather than the origin, so I prefer TRPG.
>>
>>377972182
strategy makes perfect sense. They do encourage strategy, they just can't give you rewards to make you OP for playing well as they would mean you don't need to play strategically anymore. If you are routing you are playing the RPG part not the strategy part,
>>
>>377972460
POR did a good job with this by giving you bonus exp if you beat the chapter in less turns, it would even out the exp you lose from killing less enemies. Too bad the game is piss easy regardless.
>>
>>377972460
>Would rather use a nonsense genre term that makes the two parts of the term mutually exclusive than use the proper term because he doesn't understand it
This is a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>377972764
You gotta be careful going down that road because then you end up with Valkyria "belgian waffle girl wins war singlehandedly" Chronicles.
>>
>>377972781
You are just in denial that the games are meant to be played strategically. So you think strategy is less appropriate than simulation. When simulation could be used for anything. And it fails to simulate a war like a flight simulator or driving game simulates driving/flying.
>>
>>377972930
Valkyria Chronicles' problem was that turn count was basically the sole deciding factor, instead of one of many.
>>
>>377957829
>it's too late
>>
>>377972930
Ike can already do that in POR. give him an elixir and he can body the whole game solo. it just takes more turns. The game lacks any tension of failure, it's just to get past the chapter faster.
>>
>>377973182
And the fact that the most OP character is also in the most OP class.
>>
>>377973163
No, I think we should just not use a pretend made up name because people are too stupid to think about the meaning of the acronym they're typing out instead of the original name.
>When simulation could be used for anything. And it fails to simulate a war like a flight simulator or driving game simulates driving/flying.
You really are retarded. Refer to >>377972453
>>
It can be problematic when a game rewards you for playing well, because the game will just keep getting easier and easier for good players who want to be challenged.
>>
>>377973336
Tactical is made up the same as strategy. it's meant to describe the gameplay. why are you sperging. Both are replacing simulation in the same way. Are you just mad because they both start with S?
>>
>>377973550
I don't think tactical is any better.
>>
>>377973598
fuck off weeb
>>
File: 1493259235732.jpg (177KB, 595x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1493259235732.jpg
177KB, 595x1024px
>>377973668
>>
>>377973740
what part of fuck off weeb don't you understand?
>>
>>377958334
Search for SNES patch 1.2 rom,

I just wanna know who here who defends the remake actually played the original through?

All I hear is "nah ah that stuff you don't like is GOOOOD I LIKE IT"
>>
>>377975427
The original is a simple unbalanced game with bad prose. It's fine because it's less frustrating/tedious that LUCT can be.
>>
>>377975427
The original game is archer spam 24/7 and doing anything else makes you retarded.
>>
>>377975427
All I hear is "nah ah that stuff you like is BAAAAD I DON'T LIKE IT"
>>
>>377953241
>>377953947
>>377956038
Adding to these.
Later in the game enemies do not even get more skills, only two or three at most and usually shitty ones.
Game just gets easy and repetitive
>>
Ninjas and archers were broken in the original too. Let's not forget armour wasn't very good either. Both versions are flawed in different ways. I think it's worth playing with the increased grinding for the superior translation, art, and music.
>>
http://www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1

There's a balance hack now.
>>
File: neat.jpg (18KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
neat.jpg
18KB, 250x202px
>>377979837
>>
>>377979837
>- Unique characters have lower stats and their totals are roughly the same, normal characters have 280 points, specials have 300 and uniques 320 (uniques important to the story like Denam, Catiua or Zenobians get 10 extra). As a point of reference, by the same grading system vanilla Ozma would have 400 points total
>- All weapons of the same type have the same weight and RT penalty
>- All "+1" weapons are renamed to another variant of the weapon, for instance, the upgrade for 'Shamshir' is 'Scimitar'
>- Weapons with divine element no longer have a hidden bonus versus undead, that's reserved for Baldur gear
>- The ATK growth in endgame weapons is lower and the spread is equalized so the strongest weapon in every class has roughly the same power when compared to baseline
>- Elemental damage spells now inflict aversion to the opposite element instead.
>- Visual aftereffects that hit every panel on some area spells (like thunderflare) were removed to speed up animations, it also means terrain won't be affected but that was a minor factor anyway.
>- Arcana can't be used in combat anymore, you can only learn spells from them.
>- Skills that boost stats are removed, there are greater native stat differences between classes instead.

What the hell was he thinking with these?
>>
When are we getting the other Tactics Ogre games? haha I can't wait for the eventual sequels haha
>>
>>377952967
ITT: Horseshit opinions
>>
>>377981783
>- All "+1" weapons are renamed to another variant of the weapon, for instance, the upgrade for 'Shamshir' is 'Scimitar'
No +1 shit is a good change. Is the name the issue you have?
>- Arcana can't be used in combat anymore, you can only learn spells from them.
Makes cleric worth taking since you can't just use scrolls.

I won't defend the rest, you should comment on the mod page. It's still WIP.
>>
>>377982832
>No +1 shit is a good change. Is the name the issue you have?
Having actual names is nice for flavour, but the game already has a heap of weapons and as the names would suggest the +1 forms are all just direct upgrades of the standard versions. Giving them different names means needing to remember a whole bunch of new names to associate with the original weapons. Changing the names would be a better idea if the stats were changed to not just be direct upgrades too.
>Makes cleric worth taking since you can't just use scrolls.
Did Cleric have all the arcana effects? I can't recall. That still seems rather exclusionary though, it's not like he removed elemental damage items or other items with equivalent spell/skill effects.
>>
>>377962208
>Significantly better renditions of the entire soundtrack
*leans into the mic* wrong
>>
>>377983202
Nice filters faggot.
>>
>>377983602
Fuck me, meant for >>377982074
>>
What's the best SRPG not named Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics?
>>
>>377983085
Arcana in battle was a problem for Clerics (and other support spells) because it made them worthless for the battles that you'd actually want to bring them along for (undead fights) because you could just spam Exorcism for 0 MP with scrolls. I guess it also stops Paradigm Shift abuse too.
>>
>>377983202
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOPNgyTEJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETTvTDRd88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdumA8ylTSQ
Yeah man, that tinny synth orchestra is so much better than an actual orchestra.
>>
>>377983793
I don't think there is one. Fire emblem is waifu tier-trash, for instance.
>>
>>377952967
>hellgate was renamed as "palace of the dead"
Dropped.
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 965x1400px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 965x1400px
>>377983793
Nigger you serious?

Growlanser is also acceptable
>>
>>377986865
Growlanser isn't an SRPG.
>>
>>377984598
a cleric with a lobber can be good in general not just for undead.
>>
>>377983793
Fire emblem. Awakening games onward are persona tier spinoff.
>>
File: file.png (445KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
445KB, 600x340px
>>377987067
Alright anon Ill bite.

How is growlanser not a SRPG?
>>
>>377982074
"people" who use upscaling filters have a special place for them in hell. Also you're wrong kiddo. Nothing of value was lost by making the game more menu-based, FeMC is the better written route and full party control is a godsend. Can't wait for the FES dfence force to tell me how artficial difficulty from relying on party AI RNG is a good thing.
>>
>>377987324
No grid.
>>
>>377987503
don't respond to foolish people.
>>
File: 589712_88910_front.jpg (94KB, 640x909px) Image search: [Google]
589712_88910_front.jpg
94KB, 640x909px
>>
>>377987324
Is this made by that hentai artist?
>>
File: Growlanser_IV_Pamela.png (229KB, 344x804px) Image search: [Google]
Growlanser_IV_Pamela.png
229KB, 344x804px
>>377987741
Kind of a dumb question considering you would be hard pressed to find a single artist who hasn't drawn hentai. But yes
>>
>>377987979
Seems like the ps2 games were better than the ps1. I might pick this up in the future..
>>
>>377986865
Langrisser, sure. But Langrisser 3? You've got a bit of explaining to do.
>>
File: GIV_Crevanille_&_Remus_Artwork.png (2MB, 1000x1484px) Image search: [Google]
GIV_Crevanille_&_Remus_Artwork.png
2MB, 1000x1484px
>>377987324
Can you fug the shota? I've heard conflicting reports.
>>
>>377988487
If you're talking about Growlanser, play Growlanser IV on PSP. It's the best in the series. Growlanser II is also very good but it's a sequel to Growlanser I which isn't translated. Growlanser III is ok. Growlanser V is subpar.
Also note that all growlanser games have undub patches.

>>377987324
I count it as a SRPG because I'm not too clear on definitions but I could understand if someone disagreed. The battle system is essentially RTwP.
>>
>>377987324
Because it's just an RPG that doesn't have a battlefield transition and only a very small number of encounters are ever more than a few units and not over in as many minutes.
>>
>>377987193
A cleric with a lobber is worse than a rogue or valkyrie with one, is the thing. They really fucked up healing potency too much in the PSP version. Cleric is basically dead weight after the mid 20's because heal spells simply do not scale with the amount of damage enemies do, nevermind their mp costs being prohibitively high.
>>
File: Get the cross.jpg (15KB, 480x712px) Image search: [Google]
Get the cross.jpg
15KB, 480x712px
>>377952967
>Browse /v/
>See this
>>
>>377952967
this would have been better in every way if not for that horrid "crafting" system
>>
>>377987503
>Nothing of value was lost by making the game more menu-based
It unarguably detracts from the atmosphere, but the exploration impact is minor. Having the animated cutscenes replaced with a few stills and text is not.
>FeMC is the better written route
What a fucking joke. It's the exact same shit with replaced social links and they didn't even fix the script to make everyone refer to MC as a girl in it.
>and full party control is a godsend.
And also makes the game easy as piss because it wasn't designed for it.

You however completely neglect to mention that because they were too lazy to make new animations for FeMC that they restricted her to slashing weapons and did the same thing to MC too, which fucks with your freedom in party composition because Persona 3 had three different physical attack types.
>>
>>377989635
>after the mid 20's
You'll reach the end of the game around level 20 so that's not a big deal

>>377989562
There's something like 60 story battles and the unnecessary battles can be avoided
>>
>>377989969
>There's something like 60 story battles and the unnecessary battles can be avoided
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I just said.
>>
>>377953947
>-Classes level instead of characters, and every new class you get both generic and unique starts at level 1
The original class system was just as shit, especially linking class level to kills. In a game with healing/support classes.

The TO PSP remake should have just used FFT's class system and been done with it. Keep the mark system of course, that's fine actually.

>-Level and class restrictions on equipment
>-A crafting system that only lets you craft one copy of an item at a time, and most of what you'll be crafting are more crafting ingredients with no other uses

These two are interrelated for obvious reasons. The craft system sucks dick, but someone who abused it would just make endgame gear. Both should be removed entirely because obviously the craft system wasn't good enough.

>>377956038
>+special attacks (making it easy to take out the leader)
Yeah TP moves belong in FFXI, not TO.

>+no insta perma death, making it easy to bum rush a leader with no consequences
Honestly, again, FFT was just fine with 1 life + 3 turns to rez them. Like the class system, I don't know why they didn't just implement FFT's downed status too.

>+having to learn and equip so many skills to make classes function.... tedious
Sort of agree. The fact that they implemented a pants-on-head retarded shared class level system is completely compromised by the fact that the skill system exists. You're going to have to grind that unit on that class anyway, regardless of whether it's LV1 or LV25. The skills make the character.

>I'm not aying it isn't 'good', but if you played through the Original and it's one of your favs, then the remake seems very grindy

Honestly I'd go so far to say that the original was just as flawed, but simply in different ways. Any system that has EXP per action (including FFT) is doomed to be grindy and exploitable.

Both games and both remakes should have just used party EXP, unit LV, and a good soldier shop that scales.
>>
>>377963578
>unless matsuno recycled all his ogre battle saga ideas into his other games.

Matsuno doesn't even work at Square anymore. There's no hope.
>>
>>377969920
finally someone understands
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.