[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with a game being a 'normie' game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I've only used 4chan for /lit/ and /fit/ for a few years now but decided to check this board out since I play a bit of video games, either a linear single player game or an online shooter or moba.
I've seen a lot of complaining about some popular games here that I like, some people bring up fair points and some counter those points but there are so many that critique games here for being 'normie' games, what does that even mean and how is that a critique?
>This game is bad because it's popular and people who aren't losers like me play it
>>
>>377936923
Because "normie" games tend to be casualified, mainstream-pandering trash.
Welcome to /v/ - Video Games, the contrarian's board of choice.
>>
>>377936923
>>This game is bad because it's popular and people who aren't losers like me play it
It's the other way around. Game is popular because it's bad.
>>
>>377936923
Because it attracts normies to this internet video game forum and normies ruins everything.
>>
>>377936923

Casual games are generally looked down upon, because of the fact they are easy.
Now casual games are usually fine by itself and don't get much flak (you don't see /v/ rage over games like PartyBabyz or whatever). It's when people pretend they're hardcore pros and 1337 gamers because they're decent at some casual game.

That's what annoys most people on /v/ and those people are what we call 'normies'.
>>
all you need to know is that you normalfags need to fuck off
>>
>>377936923
Tell me your favorite vidja gaems, OP, and I'll tell you why they're shit.
>>
>>377936923
Because they are for mass consumption and are devoided of unique features which would make them original and unique.
>>
>>377936923
If you enjoy video games at all and want to continue to, leave this board.

And build a gaming PC if you haven't already.
>>
>>377936923
>what does that even mean and how is that a critique?

normie games:
>shallow
>easy
>handholding
>lack challenge and depth
>riddled with scummy microtransactions and DLC
>attract playerbase of dumb kids and oblivious normies

normie games are to vidya what capeshit is to cinema, or what comic books are to literature
>often have lootboxes, card packs or some related shit that is explicitly designed to mimick gambling and trigger addiction
>>
>>377938037
But why do you hate on the game if people pretend they're hardcore because they play it instead of the actual people who you seem to be annoyed with.

>>377938203
Okay my favorite games would probably be Mortal Kombat (2011), Bioshock and the first God of War game.
>>
>>377936923
1. Company makes game with bad mechanics or company practices.
2. Gets tons of casual players due to aesthetics or advertising.
3. Other companies decide the best way to get more players is to casualize their games.
4. Noncasual gamers now have less games to play
5. Casuals don't buy many games. One company does super well and the rest fail.

And the cycle continues.
>>
>>377938534
I guess I understand the hate for 'normie' games from that view point. Seems like a fair analysis since I'm incredibly tired of capeshit and can't stand super hero comic books.
>>
File: He's going to get you.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
He's going to get you.webm
1MB, 854x480px
>>377936923
With many of these games, they're simply released into the market at the right time (like how DOTA and League players were ready for a replacement by the time Overwatch came out) and the popularity begets more popularity, regardless of the quality.
>>
>>377939019
>>377938534
Although I don't really think it's fair to compare a casual online shooter game that's meant for some mindless fun at the end of the day and a game like STALKER or mgs2 which this board seems to praise a lot. They're built and made for different reasons so I guess I can now see why you guys get annoyed when 'normies' praise a casual game that's meant to be fun, easy and attract a broad player base as the best thing they've played.
>>
/v/ likes to think that they are superior to normies who play simple mainstream games, but /v/ doesn't really play those hard and skill-based games. Everyday there's million Overwatch bitching threads but zero Quake threads.
>>
>>377936923
Normie games can be good, I mean look at Witcher 3, Elderscrolls, etc.

But they often lack depth and difficulty that more serious gamers are seeking. Its not a bad thing in itself, but around here its a negative.
>>
>>377938674
Not the guy who asked you, but....

Those are all good, but somone will shit on bioshock because it got really popular. Just give it 5 minutes, if that.
>>
>>377939550
>The Elder Scrolls
>good
Man, I wonder who could possibly be behind this post?
>>
>>377936923
Nothing, though /v/ likes to use the term Normie to mean anything thats popular or casualized.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.