[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Listen up /v/, I want to learn to code. How many of you fuckers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 404
Thread images: 48

File: coding1.jpg (298KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
coding1.jpg
298KB, 2000x1500px
Listen up /v/, I want to learn to code.
How many of you fuckers here know how to do it? Where did you start? How are your projects coming along? Got anything to show off?
I downloaded Visual Studio 2015 and have no clue how to work it, is this a good program to start with?
Should I buy a book from amazon or is learning from the web a better option? I have multiple monitors like everyone should.
>>
>>377869607
Delete that shit inmediatly.

Install Linux and then install all the build essential packages.

Open up Gedit in one screen, and google on the other one.

Look up how to write a hello world on C.

Go on from there, try to write a calculator. Then keep going. You'll eventually get the hang of it.
>>
Pick up a c++ book and using cloud9
>>
What are you trying to program? A video game?

>>377870268
>>377870393
Good memes
>>
>>377869607
Go to codecademy.com and do Python.

There's literally no easier way to learn.
>>
>I want to learn to code
>posts html

lmao
>>
>>377870393
I had a few programming books, but I donated them after they started collecting dust. Why not just use google or stack overflow?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>377870872
libgen.io
>>
File: nwn_014_l[1].gif (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nwn_014_l[1].gif
44KB, 640x480px
I learned by playing NWN and then messing around in the toolset and making my own campaign. There are a ton of scripts already "built in" like spell scripts that you can look at and modify to see what they do.

That said, even though the language is based on C, it's missing important features like arrays.
>>
>>377869607
reported

fuck off, retard
>>
honestly, there is really only one way to learn how to program

fucking do it

Just start writing code, read a book yeah but always keep coding as well and implement knowledge as you come across it
>>
>>377870496
>A video game
Yeah, I have some neat ideas, but for now I just want to learn how to code something basic.

>>377870268
I'm not really sure about Linux, what's the advantages over win7?

>>377870393
Differences between C++, C#, Python & and all the rest?
>>
>>377871180
In C++ you actually need to handle memory, unlike Python/C#/Java where its completely abstracted away
>>
Ignore the linuxtards who recommend you code using fucking emacs or something

Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs around and has a lot of great features for newbies. There's a lot of resources available to learn something like C++, I would recommend looking up thenewboston on youtube. There's an app on ios/android called sololearn that is fairly good as well.
>>
>>377869607

www.google.com
>>
Take a class on basic HTML/CSS/Javascript then learn languages from there
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
>Want to code and make games
>Find out you need a wide knowledge of math
>>
>>377871443
h-how much math?
>>
>>377871509

All.
>>
>>377869607
>>/g/
>>
>>377871509
Discrete Math, Linear Algebra and some Calculus.

Honestly if your a brainlet and dont understand any of it, you weren't meant to make games with anything other than gamemaker.
>>
>>377869607
It's alright to learn on don't listen to these edge lords trying to steer you off. Your first language doesn't matter, try a couple and which ever sits with you the best work from there. OOP languages are all pretty much the same stuff so you aren't losing out starting with C# or Java or whatever.

Practice Practice Practice. If you want to get serious with it just get familiar with it. No one expects you to know the in's and outs of every library out there but know what there generally supposed to do.

Once you're able to grasp the basics it all just turns into problem solving. It's an ok field if you wanna get into it just be prepared for the competition.

Not gonna lie, working like 5 hour days while getting paid full time is pretty comfy.
>>
>>377869607
I do it as a job. I started in high school, the big project I'm working on is a mess because my boss can't say no to our clients.
If you want to learn, learn a language that's platform independent instead of being locked down to whatever MS shits out.
>>
>>377871509
Not THAT much. You could do it if you aren't a retard.

It's more about logical thinking and problem solving.
>>
>>377871509
Modern game engine are pretty simple. You can get away without knowing much math at all actually. It helps to know some calculus and linear algebra though.
>>
>>377869607
>I want to learn to code.
>posts html
If you're trying to bait an angry response, then good job, you almost got me.
>>
>>377869607
Start with Java. Download Jetbrains IntelliJ, free licence available for students, if you aren't a CS student already what the fuck are you doing with your life? Buy Data Structures and Algorithms by D.S. Malik. Watch Bucky's vids on yt. Use Meetup to fuck "girl coders" irl. Try making a game, even a simple Mario clone, as it forces you to think outside the box and solve problems. Watch webinars. Look at legacy code often to humble yourself. Treat coding as you would going to the gym and make it a part of your daily life. I guarantee you will have fun even when you hit a wall.
>>
>>377871659
>Not THAT much.

Cool story, web dev. Enjoying your $35k?
>>
>>377871741
Don't be autistic. He probably just pulled an image from a google search.
>>
>tfw in a class that teaches machine language and Assembly programming

I thought I'd hate Assembly, but machine language is definitely where I draw the line.

Definitely an interesting experience to see how stuff you type out in higher level language translates to lower level languages though and how the processor and system memory stack works.

Not sure if any of this will be useful in game programming though.

As for OP, definitely Code Academy and learn Java if you want general programming experience.
>>
>>377871758
>original comment is about making a game
>web dev
?
>>
>>377871873
>programming thread
>don't be autistic
No, I think you're doing this on purpose
>>
>>377869607
Everyone will say learn C or C++ but you won't get far on your own. You need to learn about "object oriented" programming.

With out an understanding of that you can't make much sense of the documentation for modern languages including C++.
>>
>>377871330
It also locks you into a single platform, makes it more difficult to learn anything else, and makes it much more difficult to port your games.

GNU/Linux is a good target for software development for the same reason you'd use Chrome or Firefox for Web development it gives you the most standards compliant base around and excellent tools for development. Something written on GNU/Linux with standard APIs like Vulkan will be way more portable than something built with D3D12 which will only work on the newest Windows or the Xbone.

You can go the vi/emacs route if you want, or you can use graphical text editors like gedit or atom, there are even full on IDEs like Gnome Builder, Kdevelop, and Eclipse.

If you just want to make games, check out godot, or any one of the open source web game engines.
>>
>>377871876
Roller Coaster Tycoon was written mostly in Assembly
>>
>>377871752
Forgot to mention a really good website that gives good in depth look at Java:

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/java/java.html
>>
>>377870795
>>377871741
i think you might have gotten code and programming languages mixed up there buddies
>>
>>377871758
actually not, but nice projecting
>>
>>377872030
He's learning to program, not making a fucking 3D video game from scratch. There's literally nothing wrong with using an IDE for it.
>>
>>377872231
not using an IDE will have him actually learn the language instead of relying on the IDE to do everything for him.
>>
>>377869607
Software engineer here for a living, coincidently coding right now.

Go to reddit for this answer, they're bound to have a bunch of guides.

Depends on what you wanna do, but if you wanna VIDEOGAMES, then try C# and Unity. It's how I taught myself C#, though originally I knew Java (which is basically the same),Javascript, and had 3 years of CS behind me in college, so I wasn't going in without any knowledge.

Start with some basic C# guides. If you don't wanna go C#, go Java. A lot of college programs use Java to teach because it is object oriented and makes for good beginner understanding.

don't do shit like C++ first. If you reaaaly wanted to you could do Javascript first, but Javascript is a lot looser with what you can do and without the constraints of C#/Java you might not understand what you can do in a lot of other languages as easily.
>>
>>377869607
this is a board about video games, not code monkeys

video games are designed by people who understand what direction means, not stupid menial work
>>
>>377872325
Damn, IDEs write programs for you now? I've gotta start using them.
>>
>>377869607
I will test your affinity for programming. If you can't solve this simple problem, you may as well give up now.

Q: Write a program that outputs the numbers 1 through 20. The word "Fizz" must display for multiples of 3, "Buzz" for multiples of 5, and "FizzBuzz" for both.
>>
>>377871741
>Implying HTML isn't the mortar that holds together most of the internet.
>>377872062
Retarded, the creator must have been autistic
>>
>>377869607
Do a few Unity tutorials and learn JavaScript. That will get you more than far enough along.

> Inb4 Hurr durr JavaScript not a real language

It's fine. For a beginner it'll do enough handholding while still allowing you to get into trouble.
>>
>>377872396
Keep posting that art blog and pretending it's a game

>>377872325
Retarded
Intellisense is extremely important. I use it everyday everywhere. There's no reason to not use it.

Another lightweight IDE is Visual Studio Code. You can download a lot of shit built into it for all sorts of languages.
>>
>>377872325
damn dude you are sperging out

an IDE does far from "everything for you". It provides convenience, the bulk of code is still written the same across.

Also it might also be better to start out on an IDE, and move to something other later when you have a more firm understanding of what the hell you are doing.

OP just remember that in every thread about anything related to computer science, people like these will flock.
>>
>>377872521
> Posting an interview question for seasoned programmers in a "I want to learn code" thread
>>
>>377872521
>1-20
>not 1-1000
yeah, nice test, anon. :^)
>>377872580
>being locked down into MS development environments
>>
so much autism in this thread lol
>>
>>377872552
>>Implying HTML isn't the mortar that holds together most of the internet.
HTML of websites is generated dynamically on servers through templates that call into backend controllers.
No idea how PHP does it since I don't work with that, but any large scale, or even decently build website, is going to have coding be crucial to it's presentation.
>>
>>377872639
>seasoned

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>377872553
JavaScript is more difficult to read then most languages, web development tools in general are a pain in the ass.
>>
>>377872708
I no everyone took CC programming classes and gotta flex nuts on /v/ lmao
>>
>>377872626
This.

>Just starting out?
>I recommend learning C on Linux From Scratch and Vim
>>
File: 1494559675606.jpg (56KB, 480x569px) Image search: [Google]
1494559675606.jpg
56KB, 480x569px
>>377869607
Learn a scripting language like C# to learn fundamental programming concepts like data types, functions, classes, etc. Make something simple like a simple rectangle-drawing tool in command prompt (user enters a width and a height for a rectangle, enters whether the rectangle is filled or just an outline, and the program outputs the shape drawn with asterisks, with the correct dimensions) and then maybe a calculator. Find exercises to work on as you learn concepts to give yourself practice; this is the most important step. If you need guidance, there are websites and textbooks and subreddits for any language that are great for offering programming exercises of many difficulty levels.

Once you've worked with a scripting language for a while, it's time to step up to C++. Learn about dynamic memory allocation and go through the same exercises you did with the scripting languages. Learn about small things that C++ gives you like stl containers (deques, linked lists, maps) and iterators, and try building them on your own to understand how they work. There's a lot more that C++ expects of you so don't do it first! Get that first scripting language in first so you're not as overwhelmed.

And then after that, never stop learning. Move up to the ol' classic C if you want, and try learning other languages as often as possible to see how they differ and what they're useful for. But by this point you should be capable of building whatever you want, it's just a matter of developing your skills to the level you want to be at. If you're looking for a career in writing code, find out what skills and tools you should learn and by that point you'll be able to pick them up super easily.

As far as I know you can't really go wrong with your first scripting language though. Just pick a direction and go in it! You can do it!
>>
>>377869607
>learncpp.com
>cplusplus.com
>>
>>377871617
>easy stuff

How do people find this hard? It's all basic logic and facts that generally never change. It's not like English or History where everything is subjective or a meme science like anthropolohy.
>>
>>377872674
You don't have to use MS dev environments if you don't want to
But you should use a IDE with intellisense support

Intellisense (for those wondering) is when you start typing things and it tells you what you can do from there, so if you type "GetS" it might suggest "GetStartingValue(int id), GetSmallest(int a, int b)". It's autocomplete on steroids and is a huge part of deving.
>>
File: 1494731636371.png (180KB, 370x544px) Image search: [Google]
1494731636371.png
180KB, 370x544px
Write a program that gives the sum of all primes under 2 million.
>>
>>377872639
Thats a basic problem I can do on Python
>>
File: fasfefg3322.png (166KB, 316x279px) Image search: [Google]
fasfefg3322.png
166KB, 316x279px
>>377872893
>facts that generally never change
>unlike History
>>
Hey OP, despite what everyone says

Do NOT try to learn Python. Python teaches you how to be lazy because it provides everything conveniently. Focus on C(++). Maybe learn Lua for scripting. I think Ruby is good for scripting, too? Nier: Automata uses Ruby a lot

Also, avoid Unity at all costs. It teaches you bad programming design.
>>
>>377872716
My point is HTML is a part of programming, a tool, and something you need to be familiar with if you plan on working on the internet. Doesn't really deserve the "lol not a language" comment people always post.
>>
>>377872832
>a scripting language like C#
Isn't C# just java but for Microsoft?
>>
File: 14749544.jpg (11KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
14749544.jpg
11KB, 269x187px
>>377872893
>unlike history
>>
>>377873181
Sure, but it shouldn't be someone's first thing to look at if they are starting.
They should start with something object oriented like Java (or C# since Unity and VIDEOGAMES)
>>
>>377872907

Sure, as long as I don't have to do it on a whiteboard
>>
>>377873181
HTML isn't a programming language, it's a markup language. There's a huge difference.
>>
>>377869607
You're going to get a million different answers and no one here is going to agree. Whether it's the language, the editor, the knowledge source, the purpose, the environment, whatever. That being said, here's my opinion:

Just start somewhere, find some tutorial series or whatever and see what you can do. If you like the language/series/whatever, then great you should keep going on that. If not, try something different. If you really catch on somewhere, your interest will drive you to invest (either by more time or maybe buying a book or something). There's no perfect place to start learning to code, and really learning to code isn't about actually writing it. It's about understand the concepts behind it, how data is structured and scoped, how execution flow is controlled, how communication protocols between systems are defined, how errors are handled, shit like that. It doesn't really matter what language or editor you use, once you get to the point where you understand the fundamental concept then you basically know any other language. I went to college for a CS degree, I learned quite a lot there but it took me some time to break through the pattern of memorizing syntax and really getting what was going on. But once I got there, the actual mechanics of programming are a trivial cakewalk.

You don't think about how to use a hammer, you think about where you're going to put the nails. That's kind of how programming should feel once you get over the initial hump.
>>
File: file.png (245KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
245KB, 1000x1000px
>>377873278
Anon, I...
>>
>>377873180
>avoid the most widely used engine in the game industry at all costs
Good advice.
>>
>>377873348
Widely used is not the same as the best.
>>
>>377873212
C# isn't just for scripting, it's just as if not more powerful then Java.
>>
>>377873438
>xamarin
>>
>>377872832
>scripting language like C#
Excuse me, what? C# is a compiled language, conceptually it works just like Java. If you think C# is a scripting language then you fundamentally don't understand what you're talking about.
>>
>>377873212
C# is basically Microsoft Java. With .Net CORE, it outperforms Java by leaps and bounds.

Java has traditionally has the advantage of working on non-Windows machines, as well as a large amount of open source libraries. C# is now able to support containers and has a decent library of support itself.

At the end of the day, you use whatever tool is the best choice for your situation.
But C# is not a scripting language, that's retarded.
>>
>Where did you start?
Took a course in C++ at a local community college

>How are your projects coming along?
I've stopped coding for the most part outside of work.

I downloaded Visual Studio 2015 and have no clue how to work it, is this a good program to start with?
Visual Studios is great, but it is a fancy text editor and not a programming language (think Notepad++ with a lot of bells and whistles). Microsoft and Visual Studios has good support for C# (my current favorite practical language) and C++.

Should I buy a book from amazon or is learning from the web a better option?
I would start by going into google, typing something like "<programming language of choice beginning tutorial", and just going through one or more of those. I recommend doing C# to start, but 99% of what you learn from a C# tutorial will apply to other contemporary popular languages like Java or C++
>>
>>377872521
Not the OP, but I'll accept the challenge to see how far I've come:

bool threeMultiple = ( i % 3 == 0 );
bool fiveMultiple = ( i % 5 == 0 );
bool threeAndFiveMultiple = ( i % 3 == 0 && i % 5 == 0 );

for (int i = 1; i < 20; i++)
{

if ( threeAndFiveMultiple )
{
cout << "FizzBizz";
}
else if ( threeMultiple )
{
cout << "Fizz";
}

else if ( fiveMultiple )
{
cout << "Buzz";
}
}

I'm sure there's a cleaner approach than else if, but this is one way to approach it, yes?

Trying to see if a Switch statement can be used, or some other kinda boolean, but can't seem to see the option.
>>
>>377873636
C# is pretty much cross platform at this point. Mono doesn't suck as much as it used to and Microsoft has been doing a lot to make .NET more open source and cross platform.

Personally I run a C# chatbot server on a Linux machine. I wrote it on a Windows machine and just deploy it to Linux, didn't have to recompile or anything and despite referencing like 15 external libs it's worked perfectly.
>>
>>377872832
>Learn a scripting language like C#
put me in the screencap
>>
OP, do you have Steam? If you're legitimately interested, we can talk there
>>
>>377873636
http://fna-xna.github.io/

Is pretty awesome if you want to use C#
>>
>>377873139
>>377873242
History is dictated by humans and thus flawed as fuck. This was acknowledged even before WWII when everyone blamed Germany as the sole instigator for WWI
>>
I'm curious, to the people who say you need calc and linear algebra to program, are you computing fucking eigenvectors in your programs? Are you constantly finding yourself needing to know the area under a curve?
>>
>>377873850
You used i before declaring it. We'll be in touch.
>>
File: code.png (67KB, 1360x745px) Image search: [Google]
code.png
67KB, 1360x745px
>>377869607
I may...know a thing or two.
>>
>>377871617
well fug.
>>
>>377873850
compiler will throw error at line 1
>>
>>377873850
Your bools don't change value. Put them inside the for loop.
>>
>>377873181
It's literally not a programming language and how butthurt you are about it really doesn't change that fact
>>
File: IMG_1036.jpg (40KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1036.jpg
40KB, 320x320px
>>377871330
>he uses an ide
>>
>>377873850
I haven't touched C++ in a while, are those delegates/lambdas?
>>
>>377873967
;^)

>>377874023
I see my big mistake, thanks for pointing it out.

>>377874039
I suppose you have a point, it'd be a waste of space to keep them in memory.
>>
File: succ.png (411KB, 979x809px) Image search: [Google]
succ.png
411KB, 979x809px
>>377872893
>History is subjective
wewlad
>>
>>377874008
I took an entire class that was nothing but programming in assembly and I don't think I remember a single thing from it. Pretty sad.
>>
>>377873850
Nice indents asshole.
>>
>>377874142
><<
>lambda
say what
>>
>>377874008
>running objdump makes you a 1337 haxxor
>>
>>377874142
Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I don't even know which part of the code you might possibly think is a lambda. The boolean statements?
>>
>>377874264
How many people did Hitler kill? Numbers change every few years
>>
>>377874454
yea
>>
>>377874342
I was originally throwing in indents but then edited my code because it was unclean (no bools and instead had the comparisons in each if / else).

Forgot to fix it after addressing the issue.

Perhaps that's also why I put the bools outside of the loop, to keep the loop from being too bloated with word word words.

Haven't programmed in OOP in awhile, I'm guy up here >>377871876
>>
>>377871509
A fuck ton, if you want to make games like the ones you play, if not you make shitty silly mobile apps.
>>
>>377871180
Linux will do 2 things for you.

Let you focus entirely in programming without distractions, and also let you control more stuff instead of letting an IDE do all the heavy shit for your.

Trust me, It'll give you good customs.
>>
>>377874213
>I suppose you have a point, it'd be a waste of space to keep them in memory.
I don't think you understood the problem. Since you don't reassign the booleans inside the loop, they will have the same value throughout the entire program, for every value of i.
>>
>>377874268
Lots of classes are like that, if you don't wind up using stuff regularly you just don't retain it.
>>
>>377874484
SIX GORRILION, GOY
>>
>>377874515
I was just joking anon. I don't know why you brought up OOP though since this isn't an OOP problem at all
>>
>>377874531
It will also make you waste more time.
Not everyone is a middle schooler with time to spare, kid.
>>
File: 675856.gif (2MB, 440x248px) Image search: [Google]
675856.gif
2MB, 440x248px
>>377874142
>>
>>377874704
Neither me, but OP is.
>>
>>377874704
That's a damned lie.
>>
File: dance.gif (563KB, 374x354px) Image search: [Google]
dance.gif
563KB, 374x354px
>>377874484
Not enough.
>>
>>377874484
The discovery of new facts isn't subjectivity.
>>
File: Grape-kun-2.jpg (73KB, 543x768px) Image search: [Google]
Grape-kun-2.jpg
73KB, 543x768px
>>377873212
>>377873569
>>377873636
>>377873876
Well my point was to start with a language that has its own garbage collector so OP doesn't have to worry about dynamic memory allocation, and C# features that as do most scripting languages so that's why I said that

But yes you're right it's not strictly a scripting language, although Unity uses it like one. And yeah it is basically Java, but you get to write your code while being held in the warm loving arms of Microsoft
>>
>>377869607
learn basic and make pong.
>>
>>377874601
Isn't it checking the case where the boolean is true?

I don't see a need to change the value of the bool.

It checks if integer i is a multiple of 3 and 5 (if the statement == 0 which is true), if it is, print, then continue to the next iteration of the loop and does the same checks for the others if they fail or pass in succession.

What do you mean?
>>
File: 1494960214803.jpg (16KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
1494960214803.jpg
16KB, 600x549px
>have artistic skill and motivational drive to make videogames
>I'm stupid as a plank when confronting advanced math, even simple algebra
>cant understand shit about programming
>>
>>377874843
>although Unity uses it like one.
No it doesn't
>>
>>377869607
Just use gamemaker if you want to make pixelshit indie games. You don't really need to learn real programming for that.

I'm taking computer science courses and preparing to get a code monkey job in the likely event my games don't make me money.
>>
File: sa8vlazx8hk.jpg (200KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
sa8vlazx8hk.jpg
200KB, 704x480px
>>377874782
It's a fact, 90% of the time you spend on Linux environment is fixing the shit broken OS.
>>
>>377874684
Well yeah it's a logic problem, but even though you didn't specifcy how to answer, most companies will expect an answer in an OOP, not lower level languages.
>>
>>377874928
Then find someone who do that shit for you.
There's a reason almost every indie game worth its price is made by a team.
>>
>>377874391
>objdump
That's not objdump you stupid faggot.
>>
>>377874801
>He doesn't know history is subjectively recursive

Had a hearty kek
>>
>>377875010
Try harder anon, you feel for the gentoo meme and got assblasted?

Try Debian next time.
>>
>>377874854
First of all, you didnt declare i before you declared the bools. This would result in a compile error. Second, lets say you DID declare i before. Then you declared the bools. Bools would have values, but would stay the same because you done update them.

Code doesnt go back up. It only goes down.
>>
>>377874928
Then make some friends and find a programmer. A lot of us can't really do art or music.
>>
File: 1483225372353.jpg (21KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
1483225372353.jpg
21KB, 300x375px
>>377875110
b-but
>>
>>377874854
Didnt update them* oops
>>
>>377872521
for (int i = 1; i <= 20; i++) std::cout << i << ' ' << (i % 3 ? "Fizz" : "") << (i % 5 ? "Buzz" : "") << std::endl;

what now fag
>>
>>377875025

>team

Based Toby made a industry changing game all by himself. As much shit as /v/ gives him, he's a hard-working, talented son of a bitch. Today's devs are lazy sacks of shit, which is why we get shit like Andromeda.
>>
>>377871876
>how the processor and system memory stack works
I've never taken a course on assembly, so I don't know if they teach you this, but there's ways of quickly accessing the stack and memory without having to resort to using single machine instructions desgined for that.
>Not sure if any of this will be useful in game programming though
Depends if you're good enough to actually write nice code with it. If you're good and fast enough, do that shit, and make everyone wonder how the fuck you managed to do that without resorting to OOP.
>>
File: 1482042872904.jpg (307KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1482042872904.jpg
307KB, 1024x768px
WHAT'S A GOOD NAME FOR AN INFAMOUS VILLAIN WANTED FOR ALL SORTS OF EVIL SHIT? HE'S SOMEONE WHO I'LL KILL OFF WITHIN THE FIRST HALF AN HOUR, BUT WHO CARES, GO!
>>
>>377875024
No company expects an answer in OOP for a problem that doesn't need it. In fact if I was interviewing you and I gave you the fizzbuzz problem and you started declaring classes that'd raise some red flags unless the final answer was surprisingly elegant.
>>
>Where did you start?
In the 90's when I was 12. Had AOL and learned to make pr0gz as a defense measure because I was getting kicked offline with punters. Back when computers were shit getting too many private messages sent to you at once would crash AOL and sometimes even your PC. I had downloaded a few to help protect myself. They would instantly shut off or instant messages if you were getting punted. Eventually made a few that would return fire if you're under attack. Then made a few chat bots and got picked up by a warez group to make program distribution chat bots.

In highschool I got kicked out of QBasic programming class because I would finish the assignment in 3 minutes and spend the rest of the period programming music and images and making games. People were so impressed by it the instructor said it was a distraction and that I didn't need the class so I was denied taking any of the higher level courses.

In college my major was graphic design but I took all the comp science and math classes anyway even though they didn't apply to my major. Learned mainly C++ and Java. Took a class on game design just for the hell of it. Mostly learned the history of design. There were class projects to make games and only 2 of us in the class could program. Teacher had us using Game Maker. That was a little over 10 years ago. I make a ton of bullshit in Game Maker. Done a couple of Ludem Dares. Some shit for Demo Day on AGDG.

Since then I've picked up about every programming language. Once you know one fairly decent they're all kinda similar. Making stuff and learning new tools and languages is how I unwind.

>is this a good program to start with?
Just a tool. You pick a tool you like and keep plugging away. The most important thing is time. Like drawing. You just gotta do it. If it can't hold your interest then it may not be right for you.

>Should I buy a book from amazon or is learning from the web a better option?
Just watch youtube videos. Print is dead.
>>
>>377874928
>have no artistic skill or motivational drive
>no actual ideas for what i want to make
>brainlet who fucking sucks at any math above middle school level
>can't wrap my mind around how to program, even took a course in python back in college and failed
>>
OP, do you use Windows for your OS on your computer? If so, then use that. All these people telling you to use Linux are likely CS students who wandered onto /g/, saw people joking about Gentoo, and thought they were serious.
>>
File: 1495424154056.jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1495424154056.jpg
22KB, 640x480px
>>377871758
>mfw my first job was a web dev for $50k
>a year later I got a job for $105k
>my seniors are making $130k

Yea web dev
>>
>>377875380
>Undertale
>Industry Changing

It was a good game, but not industry changing.
Play Mother.

It's true that you can be a one-man army, but it's too overwhelming anon. Get a bunch of good friends and create something good.

I'll be waiting for it.
>>
File: 1486660710815.png (171KB, 262x263px) Image search: [Google]
1486660710815.png
171KB, 262x263px
>>377874928
>know/can learn most languages/frameworks quick as shit
>lazy as fuck and can only really work in the same project in controlled bursts
>>
>>377875380
>all by himself
Maybe you're such a retard you didn't finish this piss easy game but the credits are long as fuck.
>>
>>377875491
>Couldn't even do python
Wtf anon, I'm a brainlet who took 4 and a half years to finish high school and I easily got a B in my python course. The only thing easier than that is like HTML or something.
>>
>>377875305
>prints fizz when the mod 3 is not 0
>prints buzz when the mod 5 is not 0
lmao nice work
>>
>>377869607
I learned C++ through two university courses (under the electrical engineering department, not CS) but most of my coding today is in C# since that's what Unity uses.

Honestly I couldn't even tell you how to approach it from being a total newbie, because having a professor drill down the basics (like data structures and Big O notation) until you can recite it in your sleep is very useful.

If you learn from a textbook, spend a lot of time on the very first couple of chapters where they teach you about ints, strings, arrays, and all of those basic elements. Study it until you know exactly what each one is, like a reflex. Data structures are like the alphabet of programming; you're not going write a novel unless you know what the possibilities are. Or well, you might actually be able to write a novel, but it's going to be unintelligible shit.
>>
>>377875574
That's the burnout. We all know it. You gotta set a schedule even though you know you won't stick to it you lazy piece of shit. Gotta find you motivation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
>>
>>377875184
Well I see the problem with i.

Still not sure what you mean by updating the bools.

Are they not just used to check if a statement is true or false? (hence checking if i % 3 == 0 (true))?

So if i = 6, it'd be false for the first case (6 % 3 = 0, but 6 % 5 != 0), true for the second case (6 % 3 = 0), and false for the last case (6 %5 != 0).
>>
File: 1493383962868.jpg (27KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1493383962868.jpg
27KB, 550x535px
>>377875491
>tfw I'm exactly like that, but I know how to program in a few different languages
>>
>>377875393
Coldsteel
>>
>>377875393

this:
>>377875919
>>
>>377875491
tell me one of your ideas for how your game would work and I'll tell you why it's shit
>>
>tfw autist
>self taught programming skills
>no artistic or writing abilities
>could never release anything I make anyway due to anxiety
>>
>>377875393
faggola
check this 7
>>
>>377875895
Let me put it this way anon.
int a = 5;
int b = a;
int a = 4;
print b;

What will this program print? A 5 or a 4? Why?
>>
>>377875919
>>377876015
Anons please, I suck at fantasy names.
This is for my novel, not game anyway.
I'd hate to reuse characters from my game so I need you tits to come up with something for me.
>>
>>377876028
That's part of the problem, I have no idea what I want to make. Right now my game is more of a vague feeling of anxiety than anything else.
>>
>>377876170
Demon Lord Zeraxos
>>
>>377876091
Can you declare the same variable like that?

I think you meant to put just a = 4 to assign it?

Anyways, It'd print 5 because b was assigned to the a before it was changed to a 4.

Not sure where you're going with that.
>>
>>377875895
Again, let me reiterate: code doesn't go back up.
So you assigned threeMultiple a value. Its value will NEVER change because it does not update AT ALL.

I think youre treating the bool variables as functions here
>>
>>377876189
So you can't program, can't draw, and got no ideas? Can you make music?
>>
>>377876170
Peredes
>>
>>377876318
OK so what will this do
int i = 0;
bool b = (i == 0);
for (i = 1; i <= 10; i++) {
->print b;
}

Will this print True 10 times or False 10 times?
>>
>>377876320
Maybe that's the case, I suppose that'd mean I'd need to create a function that checks for the value, though that might take up too many characters and space allowed for 4chin to make.

In any case, I guess I see where you're going with it now and this one's on me.
>>
>>377876091
>people will actually struggle with this
Jesus christ. It's 5
>>
>>377875393
>>377876170
Acerofrio
>>
>>377876320
>I think youre treating the bool variables as functions here

Not him, but having not touched C++ passed a basic course, when I saw that it looked like he was using some kinda anonymous function
>>
>>377876503
whoops that's too bad anon, in this magical inexistent language primitive values are assigned by reference. Should've asked
>>
>>377869607
Learning to code is like learning a new language. It involves learning a lot of vocabulary and syntax, and if you get your grammar wrong you're not going to be understood. Thankfully once you understand the basics the skills can be transferred easily between individual languages, so starting with a shitty language more based on English conventions like Visual Basic isn't the worst idea, although it might give you bad habits if you stick with it too long.
As for reference material you can just look up whatever you need at the time, but it's much better if you have some kind of textbook or class-like structured learning to give you context on what your using and when to best use certain methods over others
>>
>>377870795
t. W3School script kiddie
>>
>>377876585
Are you the lambda guy? They're boolean statements. Same shit you'd put inside an if. They evaluate to True or False and that's it.
>>
>>377875592
You idiot, those were all his relatives that died in the Holocaust
>>
>>377876334
>Can you make music?
Fuck no. I never played an instrument as a kid when it was still easy to learn things. I hadn't no idea what a time signature was until last week when an anon explained it to me. I downloaded GarageBand on my phone to try and make something for practice just for fun, and everything I made was total shit.
>>
>>377876482
Wouldn't that just be all false statements?

Because it's just checking if i is equal to 0, whereas my statements check if i's remainder value after dividing by 3 or 5 or both is equal to 0.
>>
If you're not a fucking moron and know how to google, you can easily teach yourself. The most important thing is being able to critically think and work your way through problems. Don't listen to faggots who say "Don't start with C++". Learning how memory works and how to allocate it goes a long way on understanding how a computer stores data and the need to optimise shit.
>>
>>377876963
Well if you're not motivated to come up with game ideas, or write code for a game, or draw art for a game, or write music for a game, what makes you want to make games then? What would you see yourself doing? Maybe QA or marketing?
>>
>>377877172
No. On the second line it'll ask, is i 0? Yes it is, so b is True. Inside the for loop, it prints b. What is b? True. So it prints True. It doesn't evaluate b again. It's the same thing that happened with

int a = 5;
int b = a;
a = 4;
print b;

Get it? When it prints b, it doesn't reassign b = a. In the same way, it won't reassign (i == 0) to b in the for loop.
>>
>>377877172
Nevermind, I've seen the air of my ways.

All it was was a matter of not assigning to 0 like originally stated.

Just removing == 0 would fix the problem.

I'm a dummy, forgive my ignorance haha.
>>
>>377877425
>Learning how memory works and how to allocate it goes a long way on understanding how a computer stores data and the need to optimise shit
You're not going be learning that shit by starting with OOP shit like C++, bud.
>>
>>377877425
If you think learning how memory works is important you should be recommending C, not C++. C++ does ARC.
>>
>>377877504
I see myself wageslaving for the rest of my life or maybe giving up and becoming a NEET.
>>
I dived into this a week ago and I'm learning Javascript first.

It's honestly not that hard, just doing it in baby steps with codeacademy.

Did I fuck up?
>>
>>377877529
error*

>>377877516
Yeah I'm seeing it now, after using a web compiler to check my work.

Well i've learned a lesson today that I might've forgotten about.

Thanks for the crash course anon.
>>
>>377877529
No it wouldn't. See
>>377877516
I'm starting to think you're trolling so I'll stop posting now.
>>
>>377877650
Nah anon, though JavaScript is sometimes a bit weird for beginners because of the type coercion and shit. If you want to work in huge projects like corporate software or vidya I strongly recommend moving to a static typed language like C++ or Java after you're done with JS.
>>
>>377877590
It's the same shit honestly.
>>377877550
>He thinks C++ is OOP
You're thinking of java senpai.
>>
>>377872893
That in itself is subjective. Some people find math hard. In fact, I'd say most people find calculus difficult. Whether you understand it or not, higher level math is not all that well known or understood by the average joe.
>>
File: c++shell.jpg (38KB, 504x431px) Image search: [Google]
c++shell.jpg
38KB, 504x431px
>>377877694
Not trolling, I'm just not getting what your saying is all.

This is what I get when I put your code through C++ shell.
>>
>>377877951
>he thinks C++ isn't OOP
oh man that's golden
you don't even know what ARC means do you
this is what happens when a kid makes a C++ program to print hello world 10 times and thinks holy shit I'm such a C++ expert now, this is just like C!!!
>>
>>377878020
I'm saying that removing the == 0 won't make b update throughout the loop. It'll still be i's initial value the whole way through. The point is, when you assign b, the value gets imprinted on b. Even if that assignment depended on i, if i changes, b won't change; it's value got "baked in".
>>
>>377877593
Well, Anon, if that's all you see in your future, that's all you're going to get.
>>
>>377878101
http://www.stroustrup.com/Myths-final.pdf

>3. Myth 2: “C++ is an Object-Oriented Language”
>>
>decent at coding
>like making small scripts and applications
>can't bring myself to contribute to a number of gaming projects that need coders
Send help
>>
its sucks being able to program just about anything and then you can't make games because no assets. very limited amount of games you can finish just using placeholders
>>
>>377874264
History is subjective as fuck

You will find most subjects had at least 3 waves with completely different point of views on the same subject
>>
>>377878328
team up maybe?
>>
>>377878328
If only you could learn how to make game assets.
>>
>>377878273
Thanks, asshole. I'll be sure to imagine myself in a situation that I'll never be in and your "power of positive thinking" bullshit will just start to work its magic on me.
>>
>>377877590

C++ doesn't use reference counting by default. You can have reference counting if you use shared_ptr, but isn't mandatory.
>>
>>377870795

What is the point of this post? OP wants to learn to code, why are you mocking him.

And HTML code is still code.
>>
>>377878284
>No. C++ supports OOP and other programming styles
By this definition Java isn't OOP either since you can do iterative and FP so you're wrong either way retard.
>>
>>377870795
well yeah it's not like he knows the difference retard
>>
>>377876028
It's an Ace Attorney like game.
>You're a super corrupt politician who has no beliefs that dies and goes to hell
>Hell is actually super bureucratic and ruled by a Senate made of the most powerful and influential demon.
>Someone saves you from eternal suffering and you have to uncover this political conspiracy involving heaven and hell.
>Lie, cheat, bribe and blackmail you to thw top of the Senate.
>First half of a "case" is collecting info and contacts about the bigshots
>Later half is a climatic phillibuster where you have to convince them and their parties using all you colected to answer to your demands while maybe becoming a better person

I could probably do it in some create a VN thing but i have no drive
>>
>>377878482
Java is in fact not object oriented. It only has 8 of the 12 requirements for an object oriented language.
>>
File: mech.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mech.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>377877650
Learn Java instead and you can start off modding Minecraft to get used to game developing.
>>
>>377878284
>C++ supports OOP
>B-but it isn't OOP!

Into the trash.
>>
>>377878380
I am not trying to take 20 years to finish one game. And those programmer pixel art for ants games are an eye sore I wouldn't even want to play.
>>
>>377878556
don't be cheeky m8
>>
>>377878546
I remember you from another thread, Anon.
Sounds kind of interesting, would play.
>>
File: hasfkghfakh.jpg (30KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
hasfkghfakh.jpg
30KB, 500x375px
>>377878482
>>
>>377878546
how would you rationalize a literal who becoming a top shot in hell without writing a mary sue?
>>
>>377878384
But how can you ever improve yourself when you don't have anything to work towards?
>>
>>377871509

A LOT. With 3D objects, and anything that moves, there's a crap ton of math involved from collision calculations (just a 2D particle hitting a line segment involves Quartic Polynomials) to collision detection (well, this is more so CS and knowledge of Data structures to find particle pairs that are colliding out of a field of 10K particles) to any type of physics you want to implement, Gravity, wind force, springs, Torque, etc.

Of course, game engines help out a lot in terms of the math, but if you want to do games with movement and not 2D sprite turn based games, I suggest you strengthen your math and physics.
>>
>>377869607
that image is html which is not programming, it's coding, that's a markup language
>>
>>377874264
History is subjective though. Oftentimes they're documents left behind by the winners. Book burnings happened all throughout civilization, so history ends up having to pull data from many different disciplines such as biology, archaeology, etc. to come up with the best explanation with the evidence available.

It's why new findings and explanations come up so frequently. People find new evidence and everything gets reinterpreted.
>>
>>377878664
I do shill this idea a lot.

I guess i'm just trying to see that of i shill this a lot through sheer repetition it will become reality

Like Keit-ai
>>
>>377878769
what the fuck you don't need to know that to make a game on an engine that handles that stuff for you
as long as you know the basics like the modulus trick and working with vectors it's super easy
>>
>>377878769
You can be surprisingly braindead and still make something in UT4
>>
>>377878206
Well this code works:

{

if ( i % 3 == 0 && i % 5 == 0 )
{
cout << "FizzBuzz" << endl;
}

else if ( i % 3 == 0 )
{
cout << "Fizz" << endl;
}

else if ( i % 5 == 0 )
{
cout << "Buzz" << endl;
}
}

I still wanna know how to turn those conditional checks into variables, it's probably easier than I'm trying to make it out to be.
>>
>>377878767
The only thing I have to work towards is being able to pay my rent. I'm not going to delude myself by saying that things will "get better".
>>
>>377870496
Highly underrated post

Not all coding is created equal and if you're looking to make video games all you really need to learn is scripting and how to use the game engine you choose,
e.g. Unreal. Of course if you have never done 3D modelling/2D graphics you'll need to learn all that multimedia asset creation stuff which imo will take way wayyyy longer especially if you don't want it to look like shit.
>>
>>377878947
And by UT4 I mean UE4
>>
>>377879012
If you choose Unreal there is no scripting, only programming whether visual or traditional C++. Unity, Game Maker and others have scripting but UE doesn't.
>>
File: 1464672911217.png (426KB, 997x781px)
1464672911217.png
426KB, 997x781px
>>377869607
>How many of you fuckers here know how to do it?
Define "know"
I've studied the very basics of C, Basic, C++, and C#

>mfw I keep dropping out of college after the 1st sem
Last prof was a fucking pretentious asshole. He'd flunk an entire 30point coding question (in a 100point exam) simply because the students wrote class.write instead of class.Write, while simultaneously failing to properly explain what classes are and why they need to be written in pascal case

Did I forget to mention this is just a written exam? The program would autocorrect that simple mistake all the time but noooo you need to be perfect when you write it in paper because your employers, who obviously dont know how to fucking code which is why they're hiring you, would see how you totally made the simple case mistake
>>
>>377878753
Hell's politics might be dirty but they're nothing compared to Brazil's
>>
>>377878769
I really wouldn't worry about that stuff until you get to it. You will spend more of your time being idea and asset starved then you will being in a situation where you can't continue developing because you dont know how to program something.
>>
>>377878965
You can assign just move the conditional to a variable assignment right before the if and evaluate the variable instead, but that's just confusing. Your code is cleaner. If you want to get better, try doing it with just two ifs.
>>
>>377878947
You can make games in Unreal Tournament? You meant Unreal Engine, right?
>>
>>377869607
college
>>
>>377879089
Wouldn't they be just as dirty if corrupt brazilians went to hell?
>>
>>377870268
>gedit
Get a load of this disgusting pleb.
>>
>>377879106
Technically you can make games in Unreal Tournament too, but I guess they would be called mods
>>
>>377879087
Sounds shitty, I'd say I'm glad I dropped out but fucking hell I don't know what to do with my life now. I don't want to be a wagecuck forever.
>>
>>377879087
>class.write
>class.Write
Both of those conventions are shit and I'm hard pressed to think of a coding standard that works like that. You sure it wasn't Class.Write?
>>
>>377879087
>pascal case
That man had patrician taste
>>
>>377879075
why /v/ always gotta argue over the smallest details.
Blueprints = visual scripting = scripting
>>
>>377869607
hate love rush can How could you man My man! this eye could ready? cowboy done dark bait
>>
>>377870268
>Gedit

Why are you encouraging bad practices? He should use emacs and learn lisp to customize the environment perfectly
>>
>>377879460
No, visual programming is different from visual scripting. It's not a small thing, you wouldn't call Diablo an MMO. The kind of functions you can access and the fact that Blueprints are compiled mean they are not scripts.
>>
5 decides my first coding language
Please don't meme me.
>>
>>377879175
Something something years of torture before you can actually be part of the system.

To be honest in this vague idea a lot of ot would be making alliances and whatnot. Of course the MC would probably win at the end, and that could be probably be understood as being a mary sue but at least in my mind it wouldn't be that off from situations where Phoenix faces against the perfect locked room murder with the perfect prosecution and wins.

If it makes more sense the MC wasn't a literal who while alive and the tutorial level is aet on earth on the height of his power before he chokes on food and die
>>
>>377879368
Its probably that. Havent actually done this shit in years. I'm just trying to explain how big of a dipshit this asshole was for flunking an entire section of an exam because of a non-problem that the computer would always autocorrect

>>377879410
Its not taste. Its proper procedure.
Except this faggot never explained why so.
>>
>>377879104
Two ifs? Sounds interesting, though not sure how you'd seperate the checks for, 3, 5 and 3 and 5, though it's probably possible.

Also, I did try the suggestion you made about moving the conditional variables to before the if statement and it seems to have worked.

Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>377879624
gamemaker
>>
>>377879624
FORTRAN
>>
>>377879624
youre long entitled and killed interested How could you know were GODS to inform have interested believe this really not and killed
>>
>>377869607
Easiest way to learn would be to enroll into university and study comp sci or something like that.

If you just want to do it at your spare time I would recommend finding some exercises from universities or college courses and google how to do them. Do not buy any books, it's completely pointless.

Also visual studio sucks unless you're planning on starting out by learning C,C++ or C#
>>
>>377879554
This man right here!
>>
>>377879624
prolog
>>
>>377869607
>How many of you fuckers here know how to do it?
I do. Obviously some people do or AGD threads wouldn't be a thing.
>Where did you start?
High school, one of those shitty classes where you learn just ifs and loops in an entire semester if you're lucky. Teacher saw I had talent and signed me up for coding competitions. Really fun part of my life, felt like in FMA traveling the country learning science and shit.
>How are your projects coming along?
Right now I'm just working full time and sharpening my competitive coding skills to apply to one of the big 5.
>Got anything to show off?
Not really, most of the stuff I do is privately owned. Most interesting thing I've done I guess was a shitty horror VR game for 20th Century Fox's latin american mobile app. Had to do it in a month. Testing it was fun as shit.
>I downloaded Visual Studio 2015 and have no clue how to work it, is this a good program to start with?
Visual Studio is pretty cool, specially if you want to make something with a GUI. However I feel it is needlessly complicated if you're just starting out and don't need any of the graphical stuff. Writing to plain text and compiling from the terminal will probably be faster than setting up a project and all that jazz.
>Should I buy a book from amazon or is learning from the web a better option?
If you want to get real serious about programming pick up CLRS for anything you'll ever need to know about computer science. If you're just starting out, however, stick with it for a bit and create a few apps and see how you like it. CompSci won't be that useful until you're looking to get hired or want to build a really good app.
>I have multiple monitors like everyone should.
Until one of those monitors is entirely taken up by a multiplexed terminal I'm not gonna be impressed.
>>
>>377879667
Here's a little too for you from another anon: two if statements next to each other are independent, meaning it's possible for either, both, or neither of them to go off on any given run through
>>
>>377879685
Gamemaker isn't a proper language though..
>>377879725
Fortran however... It's like learning Cobol, just that instead of exchanging your sanity for mad dosh, you're exchanging your sanity for literally nothing. I like it
>>
File: vZIW3[1].png (16KB, 624x190px) Image search: [Google]
vZIW3[1].png
16KB, 624x190px
>>377879623
Wrong, not that it even matters.

The Blueprints Visual Scripting system in Unreal Engine is a complete gameplay scripting system based on the concept of using a node-based interface to create gameplay elements from within Unreal Editor.
>>
>>377869607
I work as a programmer, google really is your only friend
>>
>>377878972
>"I'm not going to delude myself by actually trying to make things better"

that's what you actually meant, retard
>>
>>377879624
assembly
>>
File: peansean (2).png (85KB, 383x156px)
peansean (2).png
85KB, 383x156px
>>377880193
you monster!
>>
File: 1474763839629.png (553KB, 568x432px) Image search: [Google]
1474763839629.png
553KB, 568x432px
>>377879554
>>377879913
>emacs over vim
>>
>>377869607

RuneScape got me into coding
I couldn't do shit for years, but eventually I passed a threshold and began making a significant amount of money
Current profit is slightly below $70k USD, not including BTC capital gains
You just need determination in order to succeed
>>
File: smug wendys.jpg (53KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
smug wendys.jpg
53KB, 512x512px
I use lua and make a living off being a game dev on roblox
>>
>>377880332
>vim over emacs
It's just people who never learned how to exit vim and have been stuck with it ever since.
Not that I blame them... I just pity them... They will never unleash the power of the butterflies
>>
>>377879624
>>377879685
>>377879725
lmao you got turbofucked anon
>>
>>377879151
You learn more self studying then in college
Unless you're some kind of normie that needs things spoonfead to you
>>
>>377880332
>>377880567
>emacs
>vim
>not vi
I knew /v/ was full of plebs but this is too much.
>>
>>377879624

Visual basic
>>
>>377879624
Assembly, MASM syntax.
>>
>>377880026
Ah, I see what you mean.

So rather than having a third check for both conditions, I'd have 2 ifs for 3 and 5 and they'd both go off if it was a multiple of 3 or 5.

So it'd be like this, only removing the endls so as to keep in-line with the original question asked:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
{
bool threeMultiple = ( i % 3 == 0 );
bool fiveMultiple = ( i % 5 == 0 );

if ( threeMultiple )
{
cout << "Fizz" << endl;
}

if ( fiveMultiple )
{
cout << "Buzz" << endl;
}
}
}

Not sure how to indent unfortunately.
>>
>>377880835
Nice job anon, that's leagues better than your first answer in the thread. Grats.

I'd still fail you for using namespace std like a fucking pleb. Oh and your loop stops at 19.
>>
>>377869607
I had interest in runescape private servers back in 2009. A couple of years ago I used that knowledge to build my own basic mmo framework. My skills have improved much while working on this monolithic project. As I learned from practical experience, I rewrote my old code once I saw how terrible it was. I did this several times. I have effectively given it up though, because while I enjoy programming, I can't for the life of me come up with a cohesive world for the game, and anything to do with art halts me in my tracks.
>>
>>377880985
Whoops, guess I need to throw in "<=".

Also I suppose I could've also made it look more professional by throwing in "std::" everywhere I need to.

Thanks again for the tips.
>>
>>377880835
this isn't correct,
You're going to get
Fizz
Buzz
on a 3 and 5 multiple instead of
FizzBuzz

What you had is fine, people try to complicate fizzbuzz to show how good they are at programming and it's stupid, if you want actual hard programming do an actual hard task, it's like the CS101 students trying to show off when they show their super obfuscated fizzbuzz implementations.
>>
>>377881131
Gee if only you knew how to read you'd see he accounted for that in his opening lines
>>
File: 1485131747541.jpg (69KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
1485131747541.jpg
69KB, 960x539px
I've been programming for a few years now, mainly for school reasons. I think I've worked so far in C#, Javascript and R. While I have no real problem in programming, every time I'm either done or during programming I get no sense of fulfilment from it. Instead it just makes me angry and grumpy.

Should I just drop it? I feel like I'm getting funnelled into programming just on the basis of studying system and network engineering.
>>
>tfw thinking about taking up programming or studying comp sci when I go back to school but absolutely shit at wrapping my head around advanced mathematical concepts
>>
>>377879725
kek
>>
>>377881131
Well yeah, hence why I said " only removing the endls so as to keep in-line with the original question asked:".

Also, I'll keep simplicity in mind if the question does come up in an interview or something like that.

Alot of the Profs. that I've been studying under try to practice clean and easy-to-read coding, hence why I was going for conditional statements over just flatout if (i % 3 == 0), so even a non-programmer can look at the code and kinda understand what it does.
>>
>>377881250
Even if you were studying cooking I'd say stick with it. It's gonna be the difference between being employed and starving in the coming years. And well, needless to say it's pretty much a mandatory skill for network engineers. You're gonna be doing a lot of bash scripting.
>>
>>377873850
{

if ( i % 3 == 0 )
{
cout << "Fizz";
}

if ( i % 5 == 0 )
{
cout << "Buzz";
}

}

Do this. On multiples of 3 and 5, you'll still get FizzBuzz as you're just tacking on stuff to the end of the same output.
>>
>>377871509
Not as much as you'd think. Most programming is spent figuring out how to be a lazy shit and make math do itself.
>>
>>377881449
Yes and since you're tacking on stuff to the same output what you'll end up with is just a huge fizzbuzzfizzbuzzfizzfizz line dummy
>>
>>377881413
well of course I'm going to finish my course, otherwise it'd be a waste of money if I walk out without a bachelors/masters, rather I think I maybe should avoid programming in a future career just to make sure I won't ruin my own psyche in the future
>>
>>377881264
most of programming isn't advanced math
>>
>>377881264
I forget what it's called, but there's a degree colleges SHOULD be offering where you learn just programming, none of the math shit.
In all honesty, if you're only ever going to be writing desktop apps for Joe Schmuck, you don't need to fucking learn discrete or fucking calculus.
>>
>>377881734
but I want to create badass CUHRAYZEE action games like Devil May Cry, fighting games, Metroidvanias, a good cuhrayzee Superman game, and maybe a story-based adventure game like Life is Strange.
>>
>>377881904
You will never get around to making those games, and even if you did they would be total shit.
>>
>>377881904
Well, you have two options. You can relearn about 25 years of 3D game development, or you can pick up some shitty engine and hack out some garbage in 5 minutes. I would pick the latter as I'm not a faggot
>>
>>377881550
Original problem never says you need spaces or line breaks, nigger
>>
>>377870268
>gedit
>>
>>377869607
download python

Write something

Keep making programs until you understand coding basics

Lookup object oriented programing

Make a game

There. You'll have a hard time because it won't be your homework tho.
>>
>>377870268

>in the year of our lord 2017
>using anything but vi or vim

ishygddt
>>
File: 1460376381808.jpg (3MB, 3362x2238px) Image search: [Google]
1460376381808.jpg
3MB, 3362x2238px
>90% of responses are dropout shitters advocating Java

I mean I knew /v/ was dumb but God damn. Learn a C based language and go from there. Java is a literal meme for slackers who couldn't graduate and resort to shovelware mobile apps. I'm talking the kind of people who stopped going to class when they hit their first array assignment. Don't be one of those retards.
>>
>>377871509

honestly it doesn't matter since you'll give up on this shit long before you get to the point where it requires advanced math
>>
How long before most jobs disappear because of things like phonegap?

I mean, as processors get more and more powerful efficiency is less important and most programs could probably be built through a Unity-esque flowchart bullshit type program.
>>
>>377882429
what the hell is an array
>>
>>377870268
Christ you're a retard. If he wants to do any development in Windows visual studio is his best bet. Sure he could use cygwin and a text editor but they're not nearly as good as a full fledged IDE.
>>
>>377882429
YouTube is mostly Java. FB, Google, Amazon, they all have systems in Java. Most of the corporate world uses Java. Java is the most widely used language in business. So yeah, I don't like Java that much either, but saying learning it is a waste of time or for slackers only shows you don't know shit.
>>
>>377878753
Make the big twist of the game that although you thought you were actually talented and good enough to do everything on your own, someone was pulling strings behind the scenes and ensuring you won for their own ulterior motives.
>>
>>377882627
Something that could contain a list of reasons why you're a shit programmer for not knowing what arrays are
>>
>>377882726
I find most Linux advocates to be autists that don't value their time and think everyone else shouldn't either.
>>
>>377872325
I started out with C in fucking vim over SSH on my school's network. When I finally took java and used netbeans it was a fucking godsend. Never again will I program without an IDE if one is available. It's a quality of life improvement and improves your efficiency while programming. Python is the only thing I use in a text editor, everything else I use it do in IDEs, java, CA, C++, verilog, vhdl.
>>
>>377882858
>booting up windows, waiting for visual studio to load and setting up a project is somehow faster than loading debian and firing up a terminal and text editor
If anyone doesn't value time it's MS shills.
>>
>>377882627
int = one int
array[int] = group of ints under one variable name

Its that simple friendo
>>
File: 1490806663494.gif (3MB, 280x250px) Image search: [Google]
1490806663494.gif
3MB, 280x250px
>>377882808
>Java == Javascript
>>
>>377883004
How many years have you been programming? In my experience the more time you spend with a language the less compiler errors you'll make and there's a turning point after which IDEs actually make you less efficient.
>>
>>377883005
>writing programs for Windows only
>Dude just like le learn an entirely new OS, learn how to do everything in it new since it's mostly all different from Windows, don't forget to install Arch from scratch without guides then install gentoo for funsies, and oh yeah target GNU/Linux for your single use specific program :^)
Sure save a lot of time doing that friendo.
>>
>>377883097
I was talking about the back end genius.
>>
>>377869607
>I want to learn to code
>posts a fucking mark up language
>>
File: 96dwW6k.jpg (24KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
96dwW6k.jpg
24KB, 655x527px
>>377883017
Programmers call vectors "arrays"?
>>
>>377883147
Around 10 now. Some of the things I have to use specific IDEs for, some u just prefer it since I'm used to it and they have all my settings and macros set up already. Switching to something else would literally add no benefit to me.
>>
kind of a shot in the dark but if I wanted to do something like civil engineering do I have to be good at CS

I'm learning java and legit just awful at understanding this stuff
>>
>>377883005
>leaves out all the time spent learning how to use Linux

Linux is good for specific things. Unless you need those specific things, you're a stupid nigger for wasting your time on its learning curve.
>>
>>377883173
It's free and you're not being spied on dipshit. Having fun choking on that micro$haft?
>>
Best advice from me honestly is to take a class. That's going to let you learn all the compiler and ide shit pretty easily without having to look up dumb online tutorials how to do it, and it lets you build the foundations on how to code. Though to be honest, I doubt you could code anything really worthwhile without at least taking a few college level classes. That is, without your code looking like shit.
>>
>>377883239
There's also vectors, but arrays are the basic way of storing multiples of a data type
>>
>>377883173
Where does OP say he's just making programs for Windows?
>B-B-BUT YOU HAVE TO LEARN A NEW OS
Oh no! I have to learn things to become efficient? Fuck that I'll just be inefficient my entire life
>>
>start a new project
>set up basic graphics and I/O
>render shitty tilemap
>burn out
and repeat
>>
>>377883291
>install Ubuntu
>you already know how to use it because the GUI is the same shit as Windows and macOS
>plus you now have a terminal that doesn't suck shit
wow that was hard
>>
>>377883239
Sort of. In C++, a vector is 1 dimensional (like an actual mathematical vector), whereas an array can be multiple dimensions.
>>
>>377874531
You don't have to use an ide in windows you know. I've never used an IDE to be honest. Just text editors and build files, though I'm only a junior in college at this point.
>>
File: STALLMAN SMAESH.gif (2MB, 240x256px) Image search: [Google]
STALLMAN SMAESH.gif
2MB, 240x256px
>>377883402
>MUH GENTOO
>MUH LOONIX
>CORPORATIONS ARE EVIL EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FREE FUCKING SHEEPLE WAKE UP
>>
>>377883392
Unless you're in Java, then avoid Vectors and Vector based Stacks because they're depreciated.
>>
>>377883239
silly anon, vectors can't have null values.
>>
>>377883402
Most people don't actually use Linux or ever have a reason to use it. I literally only use it at work for my C code for a specific program. Everything else I do on Windows, including using other languages as a hardware engineer.
Learning a new OS is fine and dandy but don't pretend it makes you better at anything.
>>
>>377871509
Unless you are trying to develop an engine or working with physics, not much at all.

>>377869607
Just finished my first year of Vocational studies in Programming. Know Visual Basic (Useless language that barely anybody uses cause it can only really make utility apps) and some C#.

I've made over 40-50 different applications/programs. They may be super simple, such as calculators and such, but they work.

Learn how to work Visual Studio. That's what I used, and it can really help you out. Yes, buy a book, but only for learning basic and practice. Do the assignments in the book, they actually do help.

I'll tell you now, because it's the one thing that stops me, and other people. If you run into something that you don't know how to fix, or code, don't give up or start procrastinating. You WILL run into something that confuses you, and you will want to drop the project or leave out a key part of the program. Don't do it. Immediately hop on that shit.

Programming is really just determination and persistance. If you sat down for three hours every day and coded (No jacking around, just straight learning and working), you could get through a basic book on a certain language in about a two months.
>>
>>377883265
No. You need to know a lot of maths (mechanics which is the physics-y side of maths), the computer stuff is done on stuff like CAD and doesn't require programming.

Even the mechanics isn't as hard as what you'd see on a real maths course, because those people end up doing PhDs and research on modelling. You just need to know the basics like a good little engineer nigger.
>>
>>377883473
Unless you use boost, arrays in C++ are just as 1 dimensional as vectors are (that is, you can fake it by doing arrays of arrays or vectors of vectors but they're not really multidimensional). Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>377871330
Visual is for retard cucks
>>
>>377883467
I dont keep up with Linux, but don't you still have to deal with sudo'ing everything, and manually setting read/write permissions? Its annoying as hell desu
>>
File: 1453045180965.jpg (33KB, 454x454px) Image search: [Google]
1453045180965.jpg
33KB, 454x454px
>>377883548
...yes they can? Just create a data type of null.
>>
File: CRUfR9xUcAAf_s9.jpg (38KB, 600x469px) Image search: [Google]
CRUfR9xUcAAf_s9.jpg
38KB, 600x469px
>>377882045
>>377882048
Haha, fuck you for killing my dreams, /v/.
>>
ANYONE LOOKING INTO GAME DEVELOPMENT

Do NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GO TO COLLEGE FOR "VIDEO GAME DEVELOPMENT"

Ya, congrats, you got yourself into Game dev, but guess what? You're stuck there. What happens if you want to go anywhere else? What happens if you burn out?

Pro Tip: Major in Computer Science. It is an extremely broad major and pretty much lets you tap right into the demand for programmers. You can work at game dev companies, or wherever else you want.
>>
OP don't listen to the script kiddies in this thread. The average programmer on /v/ has probably written less than 50K lines of code.

Learn Python. Install Ubuntu. Start working with the command line. Then learn Java, C++. Don't waste your time on meme languages like C#. And don't waste your money buying "programming" books. They are a scam. Everything you need to know is online. If you get stuck just search Stack Overflow for the answer. You learn programming by PROGRAMMING, not reading a fucking book.
>>
>>377883653
You might be right. I think vector is just a class name they added in C++ that's still an array underneath. I was thinking more of array[3][4] sort of access when I said multiple. That could just be array of arrays like you said though. I don't ever really use multi dimensional arrays.
>>
>>377883719
>posting funnyjunk frog in 2017
you deserved it
>>
>>377883556
>hey anon we need to find all the html files that contain phone numbers in this folder, there are about 100,000 of them at different folder depths
Windowstard: sure let me just write a 50 line C++ program real quick
Linux master race: grep -l -R --perl-regexp "\b(\(\d{3}\)\s*|\d{3}-)\d{3}-\d{4}\b" * > output.txt
>>
Knowing how to program is not hard. What is hard is coming up with creative solutions to complex problems, which are not resource intensive. The basic skeleton of programming is like this:
Variables: Set how much a value is and you can change that value in your code (for example, a variable called dogs which sets how many dogs there are. Every time the player kills a dog, dogs decreases by 1).

Conditionals:
If statement: checks if something is true and if it is, then it does something. For example, if you want to give the player a reward when he kills all the dogs, check if(dogs<1) and inside the if statement call a function that gives a reward.

else statement: after if statement, if the dogs are not less than 1 do something else.

While statement: While something is true, do whatever. So for example, if it's past 3 pm and before 6 pm in game you can use while(time<6&&time>3) and underneath that set the dog spawnrate (a variable) to 2 instead of 1.

Switch statement: Essentially many if statements. Works the same way.

Lists: group of multiple variables

If you want to make a program with graphics either find a library for it and look up the functions it has or learn windows graphics nonsense.

Sorry I cant be more helpful but I don't want to sit here for hours typing shit out. Bottom line is you can learn the skeleton of a programming language in one day easily, just learn the syntax (how they do if, while, switch, etc. statements, variables and inbuilt functions). The difficulty comes in creatively implementing these things not in being able to do them which is easy.
>>
>>377883818
What you're telling him to do is to throw out every single bit of knowledge about what's going on behind the scenes in favor of just learning syntax and remembering what functions do what. You're a fucking retard if you do this.
>>
File: my b.png (350KB, 540x549px) Image search: [Google]
my b.png
350KB, 540x549px
>>377883612
ah so pretty much what I thought,I need to worry more about the math and physics stuff

trying to do my best to not fail CS right now, although it might be too late for anything above a C
>>
>>377869607
>code
>posts an html image
get real, kiddo
>>
>>377883706
Pretty sure the guy I was replying to meant vectors in the mathematical sense not in the STL sense
>>
>>377883265
Do you have to be retarded to go for civil engineering? All they do all day long is look at and test concrete.
>>
>>377871509
You only need it if you make a custom engine. People like Toby Fox made undertale literally not knowing math or programming when they began work. He literally only knew how to do music, which is why the music is far and away better than everything else.
>>
>>377869607
I would recommend html canvas using JavaScript. You can make some cool some games that run in browser without needing to download anything. I would recommend notepad++ though, and codecademy or freecodecamp would be good places to start
>>
>>377883915
You're a fucking retard for thinking a book will teach you how to code. Actually programmers program, not read.
>>
>>377883818
While practicing programming is obviously a necessity, you won't learn computer science by just hashing out code and more code. It's like playing an instrument, eventually you just wind up practicing the things you already know how to do in your sleep and you don't know how to improve. Furthermore you don't know the foundations behind what you are doing. I seriously doubt anyone can get into video game programming by being self taught. Especially in this market where programmers are going to school in legions now.
>>
>>377884082
>Actually programmers program, not read.
Dumbest shit I've read all day.
Enjoy your webdev, brainlet.
>>
>>377884082
Yeah I'm sure he'll learn all about binary trees and graphs by programming random shit.
>>
>>377884082
This is some good bait.
>>
>>377869607
Visual Studio is the best when you're in a professional environment and develop business applications. I love it.

But you should start small. Download Visual Studio Code. It's basically a texteditor with a bunch of features like syntax highlighting.
Then download Corona SDK and go through their tutorials. You'll code in LUA, which is what everyone is using for his indie projects.
The industry standard is C++, but ain't nobody got time fo dat. Corona/LUA is recommended by John Romero and that guy knows C++ like his own ballsack.
>>
>>377883915

>throw out every single bit of knowledge about what's going on behind the scenes

Where did I suggest that at all you fucking mong?

Stop being a retard. If OP wants to learn the technical aspects of the language, he can google it. There is no reason for him to drop $50 on the printed Jew.

Books encourage memorization. Coding encourages understanding. Besides, 90%+ of programming books literally promote incorrect programming practices. Why do you think we are living in a 'software crisis'?
>>
@377884148
@377884156
@377884165
Easiest (You)'s of my life.
>>
>>377884046
But what if I can't into music either?
>>
>>377874531
>Let you focus entirely in programming without distractions,

Well yeah, Linux has got no games.
>>
>>377884156
Make that tree sort its self!
>>
File: 1491801741228.jpg (11KB, 169x186px) Image search: [Google]
1491801741228.jpg
11KB, 169x186px
>>377883982
I have literally no long term goals so I just kind of picked something somewhat competitive that I thought I could do

I'm really not good at anything besides math which I'm alright at
>>
>>>/vg/177673096
>>
>>377871758
Web devs are among the highest paid devs. Are you fucking stupid or do you just hate your underpaid life so much that you try to shit on others?
>>
Do you guys have a job?

Learn to code is hard when I already have to commit 5 days a week to a full time job
>>
File: 1355366041582.gif (401KB, 245x186px) Image search: [Google]
1355366041582.gif
401KB, 245x186px
>>377884252
>>
>>377873850
Why not just (i mod 15 == 0) for multiples of 3 and 5?
>>
>>377880332
Notepad++/VS 2017 pleb
>>
>>377884236
>>377884165
>>377884148
>>377884156
>>377884083
>>377884082
all me
>>
>>377884364
Grats, you saved a literal nanosecond on a mod operation at the expense of making your code harder to read
>>
>>377884228
You can pirate most books or get them used for less than 20 dollars. You're a retard if you pay more than that for a book.
>>
>>377871752
>Use Meetup to fuck "girl coders" irl.
How do you do this? Invite them over to your place for "practice"?
>>
>>377884349
Yes. It's not easy and it's not hard, it's just a ton of work and it's difficult to bullshit your way into and job because the industry is highly meritorious.
>>
>>377884156

When the need to have binary trees comes up, he can google it.

Jesus christ did /v/ suddenly forget that the Internet exists?
>>
>>377874015
Discrete math has lots to do with no binary(if, else, or) type stuff. I haven't taken discrete math yet, but Linear Algebra was challenging simply because there is so much theory compared to past math courses. Learn about vectors and matrices and you should be good though.

LA helped me make a 3D demo game from using a 2d dev library because it teaches you how to project a point or line into a plane. Very cool stuff and no regrets. Honestly the most worthwhile course I've taken in school.

Coming from a math guy, LA is hard though. Theory involving 4+ dimensions pushes your brain
>>
How do I make my own game engine? It's not as simple as grabbing some renderer, file parser, and script engine and glue them together, right?
>>
File: 1486853575797.png (178KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486853575797.png
178KB, 500x500px
>mfw programming a text-adventure game for my assessment because it fulfills all the requirements

Only thing that's still getting me about C++ is all the libraries you have to remember to tell it it has access too, like everytime I want to add some new shit to it suddenly 10 more libraries I need knowledge of appear
>>
>>377884228
He won't know what to google without some direction. You think he's just going to stumble onto something like AVL trees? Sure he could learn how to implement various sorts and algorithms online fairly easily, but without knowing they exist he never will know how to do them.
>>
>>377884462
Invite her over for Mario Kart. geek bitches love mario kart.
no but seriously if the girl's into you she'll accept any stupid excuse to go to your place.
>>
>>377884581
Discrete math is bullshit at first but once you figure it out it's pretty easy. I remember everybody failed the first two tests the professor gave and it didn't help he was such a boring guy I fell asleep in class everyday. But for the next two exams I took some stimulants and really studied for a few days and managed to finish with a B in the class. Do the exercises your teacher tells you to and make sure with him your answers are correct beforehand. Don't just assume they are because the question seems super easy
>>
>>377871443
Nigga, the only thing you need to know is the core basics. I barley know my way around algebra yet im fully understanding C++ the generals of C++ and am moving on to others. its alot more about problem/"puzzle" solving and working your way around them when you get to an issue. Not only that but the internet has changed everything about this stuff too. Have an issue? Google that shit and instantly find any coding community under the sun to help you with an issue.

As far as OP goes, you really need to see how well your self learning is. Don't put yourself down if you cant do it because self teaching is not easy and you might want to think about a structured environment at a community college, even if its just to get the very basic stuff down and move on from there.
>>
>>377872893
Its called, having different strengths. I sure as hell know my way around history/english alot better than math. But at the same time, when I run into math problems, I just look them up as I run into them.
>>
>>377882429
Hey, I dropped out because I got suicidal depression and almost killed myself. Not because of any sort of perceived difficulty.
>>
>>377883931
Needing to know anything at Discrete level or above is a fucking meme that math fags like to think actually matters in the average program anon will make.
>>
File: 1469993136795.png (107KB, 792x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1469993136795.png
107KB, 792x1023px
all you need OP
>>
>>377883764
My univeristy got game development, but they get a bachelor of science degree. So it isn't that bad?

computer science here btw
>>
>>377885628
lmao what the fuck is discrete math
>>
>>377879624
halo language
>>
>learn to program
>make vidya
>spend half the day squashing bugs
>spend the other half refactoring code
fuck this shit
>>
>>377885769
Calculus on asteroids with no connection to programming, unless you're making a program that explicitly requires knowing it to make it efficient; which unless you're making math or science apps is basically never.
>>
>>377885628
This. There are some instances where knowing high level math may help things go a little smoother at times but it sure as hell isn't anything significant when it comes down to it.
>>
File: samurai.jpg (70KB, 1240x696px) Image search: [Google]
samurai.jpg
70KB, 1240x696px
>Submit code that's competent, indented and within methods

>Uni: Yeah yeah, nice way to forget to FUCKING COMMENT YOUR OWN CODE

>mfw
>>
>>377887143
your university is right. comment your shit.
>>
>>377887143
It makes sense that in workplaces, other people will be using your code for stuff. Complex things probably need a comment to help with understanding, I guess universities want you to go really hard with comments so you get into a habit of it, I almost lost marks on my most recent assignment for not having enough comments.
>>
>>377887143
>work on muh game
>come up with a great solution for a difficult problem
>takes me 2month - 5 hours a day to implement it
>everything works
>fuck yeah time to move on
>4 month later
>want to extend the system
>look at my code
>how the fuck does this work?
Commenting your code should become second nature
>>
>>377878463
No it isn't. It's markup. That's like saying writing markup of a book is code.
>>
>>377887143
If you don't comment your code you're a fucking retard. Always always always always comment your God damn code.
Why is this such a hard thing for people to do? If you look at your code a month from now you won't know what the fuck you're looking at, and if you don't know what you're looking at how can you expect anyone else to understand it?
>>
File: 1434670207794.png (61KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1434670207794.png
61KB, 500x375px
>>377883005
it is faster since i have SSDs
>>
>>377869607
>>>/g/
>>
you're a liar
>>
>>377871617
>tfw you're a brainlet
>tfw you've tried to teach yourself basic coding a dozen times in different language and can never manage to understand it, let alone remember half the shit
why am i like this
>>
>>377888356
>People need to comment their code
Yeah, if you make spaghetti code/use OOP code, though there usually isn't much difference.
>>
>>377869607
Writing HTML isn't coding
>>
>>377869607
Started with a "pseudocode"/intro to programming class at game design college in my early 20s, then a Lua/Python class, then a C++ class, then a DirectX class. By then I understood enough to learn on my own, dropped out, and NEETed around for a couple years programming for fun.

Eventually an IT company just happened to open a branch near me, so I applied and even though I didn't have a degree, I did know how to program so they hired me. A couple years later I quit in a hissy fit and decided I was going to make a bideogame, fast foreword three years and I'm disappointed there's no 4am general on /v/ tonight.

Recommendations: Don't be afraid to refactor or even start over from scratch. Use libraries that are available, don't try to write everything from scratch. But do use programs you write, to solve every day problems, even if its one-off things like iterating through Steam Auction pages looking for unlisted items you can bid on without any competition.

Lastly, there should be a newer version of VS than 2015. Don't be intimidated by all its menus, 90% of it you won't use. Lynda.com has a good tutorial series for getting used to it, I'd recommend it.

StackOverflow.com usually has the answer to the problem you're running into.

Lastly lastly, don't expect yourself to be amazing. Keep your expectations small and reasonable, be amazed that you got the computer to pop up a window, or move a square around on the screen. Don't feel bad that you're not some uber leet hax0r within 5 minutes (or 5 years...)
>>
>>377871509
I'm late to the party, but literally almost nothing assuming you're using a pre-built engine and it's purely gameplay.

>Know what a vector is, not the container.
>Learn how to deal with 4x4 matrices
>Learn dot product and cross product
That sums up almost all 3D math that you'll need to know. Almost everything that you want to do derives from that and trig.

Physics and graphics are a completely different story.
>>
>>377882429
Java is just a much safer language and it makes sense why that they'll use something that can recover for a robust system despite how awful Java is.

I also do agree that learn C first then learn whatever language is needed for X.
>>
>>377869607
>I have multiple monitors like everyone should.
Larger number of monitors won't make you a good programmer.
>>
>>377887143
You should always comment your code. Even if you looks readable to you at the moment, you should ask yourself is it readable by yourself in a few months. I've done it plenty of times

>whose the fucking idiot that committed this garbage
>it's me
:^)

I dunno how strict your professor was, but generally it just needs to be simple comments to explain what step by step is doing rather than sometimes I've heard where they forced literally every single line.
>>
>>377871509
I'm making a hacking game and the most complex math it has is division

If you don't have units moving around in a world, you barely need to know anything
Thread posts: 404
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.