[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>TES games in first person why did they ever do this? anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 16

File: latest.jpg (161KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
161KB, 1280x719px
>TES games in first person
why did they ever do this?

anyone else feel weird playing an rpg in first person?
>>
>Role playing game
>Upset he has the play the role of the character by seeing through his eyes

Autism
>>
I wish more RPG's were in first person, to be honest.
>>
>>377848632
>why did they ever do this?
This isn't a new thing you know.
Like, at all.
It's always been first person.
>>
>>377848745

>Upset he has the play the role of the character by seeing through his eyes
>play the role of the character
>by seeing through his eyes
>play the role
>by seeing through his eyes

what the hell do you think role playing is?
>>
>>377848632

I did daggerfall, morrowwind and skyrim in first person. Never played obvlion because it looked like ass.
>>
>>377848794
I know thats what I meant

>>377848745
is that why the camera is at your chest in every game m8
>>
>>377848632
Isn't this how you're supposed to play it? Playing it in 3rd person feels like gliding by doing a walking animation slightly above ground.
>>
>>377849074
I played Skyrim in third person except when I had to use a bow

>playing sword games in first person
oh nonono
>>
>>377848632
Most old dungeon crawler RPGs were in first person, and no one ever minded that, only retarded autismos like you.
>>
>>377849274

>>playing sword games in first person

Slashing shit up in Shadow Warrior is the bomb though.

Mount and Blade is also great.
>>
I just fucking hate millenials like you
>>
>>377848632
No it feels perfectly fine
>>
I like first person RPGs, but it is pretty janky for melee.
>>
>Arx Fatalis
>Dark Messiah

I hope no one was stupid enough to not play these.
>>
>>377849595
>i-I'm no millenial!
Where is your bloodwych pic? You millenial.
>>
how come only Bethesda makes big FPRPGs?
>>
Third person is superior because I actually like seeing my character. First person is over done, especially when first person shooters saturate the market.
>>
Seeing a modded top down bethesda game could actually be interesting :v
>>
>>377850047

I don't know.
I wish someone more technically competent would attempt them. TES games seem to be the only games no one attempts to copy even though they sell well.
>>
File: 1494801047407.png (9KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
1494801047407.png
9KB, 362x358px
>>377848876
You're a huge fag that should get raped by the most dangerous and isolated inmate from Guantanamo. Only the rapist won't call you again because mid way you started mouthing off a bunch if faggy shit even he couldn't get behind.

Oblivion has THE best quests and stories. And the best soundtrack of them all.
>>
>>377848876
Oblivion is shit, you're not missing anything.
>>
I'm sick of third person because it's mostly used in rpgs for obnoxious writers to self insert their god awful Mary sue oc. Every third person rpg will be about that protagonist while first person rpgs will be about the world, while somewhat being disconnected.
>>
>>377851296
Oblivion is shit.
Leave it to a dumb frogposter to have shit taste.
>>
Warlock of Firetop Mountain was pretty sweet.
>>
>>377851296
>Oblivion has THE best quests and stories. And the best soundtrack of them all.
YAAS! SLAY QUEEN
But seriously, I agree with you. I'm replaying it now. The graphics are a bit dated, and those faces are pretty bad...but it had fucking Picard and Boromir in it! Seriously, the best ES game ever
>>
>>377849860
my fucking nigga
>>
>>377851296
>Oblivion has THE best quests and stories.

Dark Brotherhood is fantastic.
The murder mystery house is one of the best side quests ever.
>>
>>377848632
>first person game
>look down and see no body or legs just circle shadow
nothing takes me out of the game faster than realizing I'm a camera with arms running around. The worst part is modders made it possible for free so what is a AAA game's excuse?
>>
>>377849860
>those spiders
nope
>>
>>377850047
>how come only Bethesda makes big FPRPGs?
I suspect they have such a complete grasp over the market, they dictate so much of the existing expectations, have such a massive IP and name pull and are so god-damn efficient at making them that nobody just even dares to fucking challenge them. The inevitable comparisons, the defense forces, the amount of investment, the market saturation... it's a tall order to tackle.

Doing RPG's brings a while new set of problems with intuition about gameplay mechanics that modern gamers can't really get over too. In general a lot of people seem to have a major problem with understanding even most basic RPG mechanics, which is why most of them today migrated into more hack-and-slash approach to design, which is better facilitated in third person, so that might be a factor too.

>>377850149
>Third person is superior because I actually like seeing my character.
Yep, being consistently reminded that you are not actually the character you are playing which seriously destroys immersion is so superior. And games like VtmB, Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, System Shock etc... did not make any kind of mark at all.
>>
>>377848632
No. It's genuinely what makes them so god damn nice to play. You just can't beat that level of immersion and interaction.
>>
>>377851569
And you will hide behind anonymity not revealing your tastes because you're afraid to give away what you like lest you have to defend your shit taste.

Go cry some more loser.
>>
>>377851620
>but it had fucking Picard and Boromir in it!
Token appearances of famous names that add nothing to the damn game at all, yeah. That is what makes an open-world RPG good.
>>
>>377851860
Is that all you have to argue against the game? That it has token famous actors?
If you didnt play the game then fuck off kid.
>>
>>377848632
>Why did TES start as first-person?
"Because Ultima Underworld" is the short answer.
>>
>>377850047
If it was easy everyone would do it.
Others just make cutscene filled waifu sims nowadays.
Much easier.
>>
>>377848632
Dude what?

I fucking love 1st person and wish more RPG's would do it. Maybe I suffer from TES syndrome but I really really like 1st person perspective in RPG's.
>>
>>377851860
The game was great because it took what Morrowind did, and simplified it and improved. It condensed the amount of armor, condensed the amount of skills and attributes, simplified the factions, removed that terrible hit/miss component, added voice acting, added a much better story, added numerous randomly spawning dungeons (Fields of Oblivion) with rare loot, and added leveled enemies.
But yeah, it was shit because? The graphics are bad compared?
>>
>>377850047
One thing as well.
Don't giggle.
The clutter.
The sheer amount of stuff they have built up to fill the world is daunting.
Without it you are merely a pretender in that competition.
>>
>>377852034
>Is that all you have to argue against the game?
No. It's just what I'm going to mock about your post.

I could mock attrocious level scaling (easily the worst in the series), hideous art direction, incredibly shallow world building, U.I. from hell, easily the worst map distribution, the introduction (and the worst application among all these games) of instant fast-travel, laughably bad Guild quest lines, the combat being too floaty to be enjoyed as a direct input combat, but lacking any kind of stat systems to make it passable as proper stat-based RPG combat, generally gutted mechanics compared to Morrowind on all sides, attrocious dialogues, those god-damn awful persuation minigames, insanely short and linear dungeon designs, poor implementation of lore into the settings, stupid main story line, repetetive mandatory Oblivion visits, lack of proper unique items and level-scaling on items, inballanced character progression and probably many other issues.

But I kinda suspect you are the same idiot from the other thread actually did not understand that character stats scaling and weapon stat scaling are not the same thing, so I don't think this will lead into a very meanigful conversation.
>>
>>377850149
Third person is for admirin your char alone.
You play in First person.
If you need a little help I suppose TP is a useful crutch.
>>
>>377851719
Why waste manhours on an issue 10 people care about.
>>
>>377852550
Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time but you must be aware that most of those changes aren't good right?
>>
File: Ultima_Underworld_cover.png (223KB, 300x385px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
223KB, 300x385px
>>377848632
>why did they ever do this?

TES was a less complex Ultima Underworld clone

It still is
I'm being dead serious
>>
>>377852980
How so? To what are you referring?
>>
>>377848632
The only time i go 3rd is to check out my character. Combat is 3rd is even worse than combat in 1st
>>
>>377848632
First-Person is the BEST way to play that genre, though. Isometricfags are delusional.
>>
>>377852673
>level scaling
Individual skill exp forces the player to micro manage his own experience in a way that makes him understand that leveling up solely through let's say a non combat skill - you will be unprepared and outmatched.

Art direction is fine. It's a fantasy Europe game.
>shallow world building
No clue what the fuck that is meant to mean. Sounds like something a virgin who likes to add too many buzzwords in his sentence would say.

Fast travel to major cities was a poor idea but not game breaking.
>bad guild quests
Easily the most wrong thing you've said. They're objectively the most thought out of all tes games.

The rest is just autism. Congrats on the life update of when oblivion raped your sister. You got me beat.
>>
>>377852673
While I agree with most of what you said the dungeons in Oblivion is actually some of the most complex and longest I've found, not counting Daggerfall of course. The dungeons in Morrowind are actually really tiny and short apart from a few special ones here and there. Like they make Skyrim's dungeons look vast tiny.

Granted the are boring as fuck to explore in Oblivion since all loot is random and you never find any unique stuff in them ,but as far as layout goes I think they are my favorite in the series.
>>
>>377852550
Half of these things that made the game worse, the other half are lies.
>It condensed the amount of armor, condensed the amount of skills and attributes,
And that is good how? It's not like Morrowind was overwhelming in these regards. It just killed a lot of customization and character specialization.

>simplified the factions
This is supposed to be a point in favor? Making the factions dumber, shallower, fewer of them, less meaningful, less interwined with the settings and story and lore... yeah. Great job. You know that interesting political background of Morrowind, and the actual career aspect that not consist solely of finishing a single quest line in two hours before you'd become grandmaster? Let's throw all that away, that is going to make the game better!"

>removed that terrible hit/miss component,
That hit and miss component added more to the game than the newly added manual block did that was introduced to replace it. The old combat was odd and clunky, but had some depth.
New combat is still clunky, though not odd: and it feels awful.
I think I'll still chose the one with some depth and intricacy.
>added voice acting
Added TERRIBLE voiceacting that completely ruins immersion based on how bad it is alone. And in the process introduced a far more clunky system that tells less info in less pleasant and intuitive way while affecting drastifcally the amount of dialogues, and characters, and makes every interaction annoying and silly. Yay!

>added a much better story,
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm just gonna let this one hang here...

>added numerous randomly spawning dungeons
There is four of them. They don't spam randomly. And you have to vistit minimum of seven of them as part of the main story alone. Enjoy running through the exact same bloody TERRIBLY designed dungeon over and over again!
>and added leveled enemies.
If you had played Morrowind, then you'd know that it had leveled scaled enemies as well. Hell, Daggerfall did too.
>>
>>377851772
>And games like VtmB, Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, System Shock etc... did not make any kind of mark at all
None of them are as good as rpgs as the dnd rpgs and these are all not in first person so i dont see your point
>>
>>377848632
Yeah, but that's because TES has always had shitty combat.

What we need is an expanded Dark Messiah with a fully fleshed out world.
>>
I like Oblivion but level scaling, along with how stat gains were tied to what skills you used to level, made it get worse and worse the more you play one save. Mods can fix it though.
>>
File: 1488968813261.jpg (101KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
1488968813261.jpg
101KB, 1024x904px
>>377852930
>1,081,007 TOTAL D/LS on nexus
stop pulling shit out of your ass sweetie it makes you look like a brainlet when your posts have no actual substance
>>
>>377853072
Simplified isn't generally good when it comes to RPG's.

The condensing of armors just means there is less to be found and customized, the removal of skills I don't really mind all that much, simplefied factions is just boring, why would you want that? the combat is a tiny bit better I grant you that, voice acting has pretty much never helped an RPG, main story is shit, but I'll give you quests are more interesting, if sometimes lacking a bit in complexity, the oblivion gates aren't random and leveled loot means you will never find anything interesting or exciting.
>>
File: disdain.jpg (7KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
disdain.jpg
7KB, 209x241px
>>377851296
>And the best soundtrack of them all.

You can blame all the other shit on being twelve in 2006 I don't give a fuck, but go to hell with that shit nigga.

Jeremy Soule became consistently worse since Morrowind. He always fuckin uses the same motives and instruments and oblivion is extra bad with that because there just isnt much to the music to begin with.

How weak he really is compared to other composers is becomes clear when you listen to WoW: Cataclysm - which was done by Glen Stafford & Co, the original warcraft composers - and then immediately after that you listen to Mists of Pandaria - where for some reason Blizzard had the glorious idea to get Soule in on the project. And they never fuckin did that again. And in direct comparison also realize why.
>>
More games should do it honestly.

But mostly it's because their old games did it and they can better hide the player's shitty animations
>>
>>377849595
I seriously doubt you're not a millennial
>>
>>377853416
To be fair I think you only need to go through 3 gates in the MQ
>>
>>377852550
Oblivion is fucking shit and all those changes are bad. They took Morrowind's combat and instead of improving it they just made all your hits connect no matter what and they added massive level scaling. The result being that your stats no longer matter and there's no more progression because enemies are all scaled to your level. They removed the RPG elements from Morrowind. Everything else you said was shit as well. They just removed features from Morrowind and added shiny graphics. Also are we forgetting the potato faced NPCs and 5 voice actors in the whole game now as well?
>>
>>377853237
>that makes him understand that leveling up solely through let's say a non combat skill - you will be unprepared and outmatched.
Yeah, so it just makes one more way to play the game impossible. But really, that never happened. The sole purpose of the level scaling is to never throw anything at the enemy he is not prepared to fight, and to keep all loot always relevant regardless of the context of the envrionment or dungeon.

It's also stupid. Glass-armor wearing fucking bandits.

>Art direction is fine. It's a fantasy Europe game.
That would be wrong even if it wasn't wrong factually. It's actually Disneyland. Not Fantasy Europe. It's stupid fucking disneyland.
And it's hideous, and braindead, and completely uninspired. There is nothing exotic about it, but there is also nothing that would ground it in reality, in history - nothing that would make it look like a real place. It's just hideous and clueless.

>No clue what the fuck that is meant to mean.
Maybe read Tolkien or Borges about the concepts of world-building and secondary world building. It's an interesting literary theory.

Basically it means that people who wrote and designed Oblivion were not capable of creating a compelling fiction, an interesting world.

>Fast travel to major cities was a poor idea but not game breaking.
Not having any other option and having the level-scaled re-spawning fucks did make it pretty game breaking. Also, it came and replaced what used to be actually a very clever and intricate system of non-direct fast-travel from Morrowind, which added a lot to that game.

>Easily the most wrong thing you've said.
Yeah, killing manimarco at the end of Mage build quest was such a thrill. Really paid to be aware of the story of Arena too!
I'm sorry, but outside of the Dark Brotherhood, the main guild lines were shit.
>>
>>377853706
>simplefied factions is just boring, why would you want that
because it doesn't require you to be 'level x' or have 'skill level x' to progess
>>
>>377853824
You're making comparisons to others games when not taking into account that this soundtrack for oblivion is good for oblivion. If your argument is that it's a bad soundtrack because you can't listen to it while playing woe than I don't know what type of autism you have but I don't want any part of it
>>
>>377853703
>sweetie

What's with men calling other men sweetie lately? Is there a rise of homosexuals on the internet or something lately?
>>
>>377849595
So you were born in the 70's later?
>>
The next TES really needs both
A: A good fundamental combat system that people can mod ontop of
B: A rpg system that allows much more customization/meaningful loot and passive progression from exploration (but not fucking ubisoft trash.)
>>
I think we can all agree that Morrowind is the worst RPG of all time. It's old, hard to play, slow, and I can't dual cast
>>
File: cd3.jpg (25KB, 600x418px) Image search: [Google]
cd3.jpg
25KB, 600x418px
>>377854127
>>
>>377854000
First when saving Martin, then one per each major city (I'm pretty sure there are more than three major cities there) as you collect the support of the lords. One more to sabotage an engine before the big battle.
Those are the ones I'm certain off.
>>
File: jacknod.gif (490KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
jacknod.gif
490KB, 320x240px
>all those positive remarks towards 1st person RPGs
>mfw I got a game like that in development and it just got greenlit today

I'll stop shilling this instant, but tell me /v/: Do you have any special wishes?
>>
>>377853237
>No clue what the fuck that is meant to mean.
Wow anon, you must be every single negative stereotype about casuals rolled up into one, unfortunate faggot.
>>
>>377854359
link
>>
>>377853824
Nah nigga, he's right on that one. Oblivion has the best soundtrack. Morrowind's comes close but it's lacking a lot of the beauty and subtlety, and it just doesn't have many songs.

Him coming to grips with his own mortality and accepting his imminent death as he was about to die in a car crash was what inspired him to write the soundtrack even.
>>
>>377854336
t. basement dwelling kissless virgin who humps his anime pillow at night
>>
>>377854534
>calls people virgins on a video game board
>>
>>377854337
You don't need to do the cites. You only need to do the one in Kvatch, the first one in Bruma, and the big gate at the end. All you get by doing the city gates is one of their guards to support you in the "final battle", it's entirely skippable, hell I don't think I've even done it once, not even as a kid.
>>
>>377854359
I know this is not what is going to happen: But I wish for a first person RPG that actually works as a spiritual successor to Morrowind. Which means WORLD DESIGN FIRST philosophy.
I'd love to see a game that actually does not fear returning stats into play. Let the character stats dictate what the player can and cannot do: what he can and cannot achieve, who will he able to ally with etc...

If you are not going for the big-open-word-sandbox direction, it might be smart to take some hits from the just-released Prey. Wonky ballance aside, that game knows how to make a player feel like he is a part of a place, and makes the character-progression feel like it dramatically changes his role and options in the game. That, and obviously shit like VtM:B.
>>
>>377854127
But that's not boring. It means you can't finish a faction in like 3 seconds like in the other games and spaces out your questing.
>>
>>377854359
If you have more races than just humans don't just let them be elf and dwarf clones, please.
>>
>>377854149
I'm saying jeremy soule is always using the same motives and it gets boring after you hear him in like the third game immediately thinking "yeah that's the guy who composed morrowind"

Maybe Oblivion was fine back then (even though the music was already pretty boring - it's mostly soft tootling and that's it), but once you hear him everywhere it gets tiring.

He's like the Hans Zimmer of video games.
>>
>>377854637
>projecting your virginity onto others

That's not how it works, son.
>>
>>377854637
So you admit to fucking goats then, eh shitskin?
>>
>>377854796
And don't make their race their culture. Give each races different cultures and not just "they are elves so all of them must like trees".
>>
>>377854729
No one said it was boring. Perhaps people play for the story, not the grinding. I'd rather not spend hours sneaking in a dungeon to reach level 75 Sneak so I can move on to the next mission
>>
>>377855065
Then don't do that. Go do one of the millions of other quests or factions like anyone sensible would.
>>
>>377850614
Because publishers want to release things yearly, but the size of Beth's games require a few years more then that to complete.
>>
>>377854492
>Oblivion has the best soundtrack.
Oblivions soundrack was the most well produced. And it certainly was not bad. But it lacked what the entirety of Oblivion lacked: any actual tones behind that poposity.
Morrowind's soundtrack was full of melancholy. it was considerably ambient, sad, it was a perfect backdrop for the island itself.

Oblivion was much more epic (dangerously getting close to LotR's soundtrack) which kinda fit the (theoretical) image of the Worlds Capital, but in reality just fitted poorly with the underwhelming landscapes and failed to convey emotions and moods of the places. Mostly because Oblivions world did not really have any moody or emotive places to begin with.
>>
File: 1495569100169.png (3MB, 1024x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1495569100169.png
3MB, 1024x2304px
>>377851296
kys
>>
File: shangyang.jpg (323KB, 800x1189px) Image search: [Google]
shangyang.jpg
323KB, 800x1189px
>>377854967
You're in luck.
There's going to be something like elves, but they are basically chinese legalists.

For better understanding: Chairman Yang from Alpha Centauri is pretty much that
>>
>>377855394
>oblivion bad
>skyrim good
ok, nigger
>>
File: yeehaw.png (157KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
yeehaw.png
157KB, 444x440px
>>377848632
3rd person is only good if the combat is good.
>>
>>377855394
btfo
>>
>>377855065
>. Perhaps people play for the story, not the grinding.
Except your path through the ranks is the story. Not those arbitrary gimmicky pre-scripted levels Oblivion prepared for your ADD ridden ass.

You practicing, you bribing trainers, you realizing that your career her is stuck and leaving the guild for a few months to look for fotrune elsewhere - then triumpanthy coming bakc strong to finally claim greater rank, greater fucking respect: that actually all together created an interesting story. And a story that was far more organic and personal and driven by player agenda too.

It made your career in the guild feel like an actual career: a story with ups and downs and hard work and thrilling adventure, something you mold your life around, and that grows around your life too. You can experience learning that you just DON'T HAVE WHAT IT TAKES, simply because you are not the right person to gain higher rank in that society. That is entirely possible in this game, and that leads to far more interesting personal tales: this is how roleplaying is supposed to look.

In Oblivion, you join a dungeon, get a task, complete task, get a whammy, get a task, complete task, rince and repete few times: bam. You are a grandmaster now. Congratulation!
It's a fucking CHECKLIST, and you character barely plays any role in it.
>>
>>377855481
link the greenlight you faggot
>>
>>377848632
RPGs that are third person are almost always being retards and taking too much from table top instead of actually making a good vidya game.
>>
>>377854359
Make fucking cool non human races. Not even a furfag but I love playing as lizard dudes or insect people and no games ever let me.
>>
>>377855624
That image does not mention Skyrim once.
>>
>>377855719
>leaving the guild for a few months to look for fotrune elsewhere
Found the RP fag
>>
Isometric is shit and was always shit.
>>
>>377851296
This
>>
>>377855897
>Found the RP fag
In an RPG? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!

Also, yeah. It's actually sometimes mechanically speaking your only option. it's not just a RP-in-my-mind thing, it's a logical situation driven by the rules of the game.
>>
>>377855753
but then /v/ is gonna shout at me

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&browsesort=pending&browsefilter=pending&p=1
It's one of the first. You'll know it when you see it.
>>
File: 1495163537482.jpg (15KB, 449x497px) Image search: [Google]
1495163537482.jpg
15KB, 449x497px
>>377855394
>This copypasta again
>>377841038
>>
>>377855248
I think the both suffer a bit from being unnecessarily epic and bombastic. If anything if we go by ambient and melancholy Skyrim has both of them beat. I actually think Morrowind suffers quite a bit from the soundtrack not melding all that well with the game just byt the fact that I pretty much always notice the music and it's never just in the background.

Also, one of the best pieces of music of any vidya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YKicBAMlBk
>>
>>377856003
Nobody gives a fuck, especially if someone actually asked you to post it. I assume it's Monomyth, it looks pretty good.
>>
>>377856003
It's Monomyth right? Looks pretty dope. Though the absolutely terrible looking combat and animations on top of that next gen style graphics is just really weird and noticeable.
>>
If you like Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, TESO, Hello Kitty Island Adventure, whatever, who cares? If you like it, then you like it. It doesn't matter what some autistic anon says about "world building," "level design," or "combat." You don't need to defend it because it's not like your life or your memories of the game are going to be erased from existence.
>>
>>377856046
>that senseless answer to the spear rant
>complaining that Morrowind UI was a complicated mess
>complaining that he has to remember everything everyone says to him as if there wasn't a journal recording everything for prosperity
>complaining that the writing is bad because there's actually a considerable amount of text
Do you really want to use the post of a literal retard to defend Oblivion?
>>
>>377856279
>especially if someone actually asked you to post it.

that could be advanced shilling though

also thanks

>>377856370
I know. That's part of the next development cycle.
>>
>>377848864
It cannot be argued. The FPS camera is the most immersive way to play a game. You are literally in the shoes of the character. Otherwise you end up in periscope mode where you can hide behind a rock yet magically see everything on the other side.
>>
>>377856448
>don't discuss things on a discussion platform
Sorry. I should go back to shitposting about SJW's.
>>
>>377856473
He's right you know, and you're autistic screeching doesn't change that. Apart from the journal, the Morrowind UI sucks donkey ass, and the writing is terrible. Go ahead and turn Morrowind into a novel and see how well it sells. Protip: it would be a massive flop.
>>
>>377856478
Well I watched the trailer and something I'd like to see is first person combat like Chivalry and Mordhau. In the trailer I saw you holding the axe to block like you would in Skyrim, I think it would be better if you had to time the blocks. Just don't make the melee combat like TES pls

Game looks cool though I'll keep my eye on it
>>
>>377854718
Anon, you should just go into the industry yourself. It needs more people with sense like you.
>>
>>377856557
now you get it. go back to /pol/ brother. Seth Rich was his name
>>
File: dfrrrhh.png (237KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
dfrrrhh.png
237KB, 500x370px
>>377848632
>playing a Bethesda RPG in any other mode other than first person
Nobody does this.
>>
>>377857057
I actually am involved in something, but let's be frank: I'm a complete loser with no actual educatoin or experience, and no specific technical skill. I'm literally nobody who just spend way too much time playing games, studying them, and discussing them, dysecting them, and I happen to have some background in narratology and literary theory, with aren't worth much.

And I'm also mentally ill.
All of that makes me very unlikely to ever be meaningfully working towards a valuable future game.
>>
File: 1494250713448.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1494250713448.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>377854209
I think you're assuming gender buttercup.
>>
>>377857305
I used to, because I was using tit and ass mods and wanted to see my char's bits jiggle on the screen.
>>
>>377854209
What're you some kinda faggot, sweetie?
>>
>>377857331
Most creators start off with that kind of description fitting them. Learn to code. Someone that can actually see what makes these games good and what parts are worth replicating would probably make decent games at the indie level or wherever.
>>
>>377857927
>not using joy of perspective
>>
>>377848632
bait
>>
>>377851296
>Oblivion
>THE best
Anon, the main objective of Oblivion was the most annoying shit to play through, and poorly designed. When the MAIN QUEST is absolutely not fun, and you're forced to do those over and over again, that's piss poor design.

Oblivion is only fun if you never progress the main story. It's objectively shit because of that.
>>
>>377851296
>Oblivion has THE best quests

STOP THIS FUCKING MEME. HOLY SHIT.

Oblivion has decent guild quests. That's it. The main story is nothing to write home about, and everything else is forgettable
>>
>>377858075
Learning to code is kinda out of my league and options right now. I have a best friend you started, about two years ago - now he is getting to a point where he can do some decent shit in Game Studios, I guess. But seeing him work and the amount of effort and time he sunk into it terrifies me. Also, I'm just terrible at programming. I'm more of kind of guy who seems smart, has read a lot, analyzed a lot, but can't make anything. I have backgrounds in philosophy and social anthropology for fuck sake... I'm an idea guy, in the most literal, derogatory sense of the word. At best I'm a sub-par literate.

It would be interesting to be a part of creative process, to see if my knowledge and ideas can be put to some use, but I can't do jack shit of my own.

We are still hoping to team up with that buddy of mine to make something happen: something is indeed brewing, but most of our cooperations made me depressed.
Like yeah: during brainstorming sessions, things go well. But once things stat to get implmented, I feel hopeless and useless.

I think it ultimately isn't a viable path for me.
>>
>>377858101
>not using enhanced camera with half the performance cost
>>
File: exile.png (114KB, 639x477px) Image search: [Google]
exile.png
114KB, 639x477px
>>377848632
we all know that isometric is THE REAL experience, anon.
>>
File: 20170518144537_1.jpg (166KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170518144537_1.jpg
166KB, 1024x768px
I saw a mudcrab the other day.
>>
TES games were in firstperson to try to help distract you from how you look like a potato unless you're using a modder's hand-sculpted face made using a 3rd party software instead of bethshit's potato peeler sliders.
>>
>>377859182
Just focus on writing, if that sort of thing interests you anyway.

Its just frustrating seeing so many people getting into vidya design and very few are the ones who really get it.
>>
>>377854851
Just cuz you put a t there doesn't mean you aren't projecting too.
>>
>>377856525
FPS cameras are shit for "immersion". The very word you use is relevant. It doesn't feel like you're controlling a character, but a floating camera. The tunnel vision, the awkward view bobbing that a lot of games stupidly add, the extreme amount of stiffness in movement and activity, first person views have never been good for making you feel as though you are a part of the world.

And you can't even see your shoes.
>>
>>377848750
this
>>
>>377856478
dude it looks cool

how the fuck did you make something like this solo?
>>
>>377861679
I agree. The biggest problem is the fucking FOV. At least on PC you can change them, but I honestly have no fucking idea how people play shit like Skyrim at the default 70FOV. It feels like you're playing with your eyeballs glued to your screen, or your character just has some crazy long tentacle eyes like a crab or something. What the fuck are they thinking with that shit?
>>
>>377862345

FOV limitations exist due to technology.

And how is it any more immersive to be looking at your own back or over your own shoulder, as in third-person?

Can you do that? No? Then it's not immersive.
>>
>>377862553
I didn't say third person was more immersive, I just agreed that first person has a lot of immersion problems too.

And technology my ass, hacked consoles can run games at a higher FPS no fucking problem.
>>
What game
>>
>>377862705
>FPS

Meant FOV, obviously.
>>
>>377854359
crafting that is meaningful and satisfying

quest/job rewards that are more than just "rare crafting ingredient" or "rare powerful weapon/armor/spell." something more creative

for fucks sake, interesting dialogue choices and multiple ways to solve quests/go through the game. look at new vegas for this one

piece by piece armor with lots of slots
>>
>>377851296
Oblivion has well-presented quests and a handful of "good" ones. The actual quest design is linear, uninspired dogshit.
>>
>>377863969
Oblivion is the most comfy TES of all.
>>
>>377851296
Agreed. Oblivion was by far a better overall game, and the questlines, while still having chliches and flaws were WAY better, offered way more variety in story telling and in general just were more entertaining. Seems like every faction in Skyrim was just "Oh you just happened to join right in the middle of a crysis within our little group, and what do you know, you saved us! Now you will be our leader a couple days after being the new guy!"
>>
>>377856719
>Apart from the journal, the Morrowind UI sucks donkey ass
Literally every part of this sentence is wrong. Morrowind has by far the best UI in the series except for the fucking awful journal, which was made only barely tolerable when Tribunal added the quest tracker. But the most significant parts of the journal (chronological quest updates and alphabetical topic list) are a chore to navigate with no effective search function and, once you've collected a ton of topics and quests to clutter it up, a massive amount of scrolling and skimming to find that one detail you're looking for.

Don't get me wrong, the function of the journal is great, but the way you interact with it through the UI is garbage. The rest of the UI on the other hand is such a joy to use and requires so little effort to get to whatever you need. Right click and you can see everything instantly. Every single element has a tooltip if you want more details and you can relocate, resize, hide, or even pin any window so it stays visible during real-time gameplay. You get to make unlimited custom map notes and assign 10 hotkey slots for items or spells. The only problems with Morrowind's UI is the lack of sorting by weight/value instead of just name/type, and minor nitpicks like the Alchemy window being way too tiny and only being able to specify barter amounts with the +/- buttons rather than typing your offer. Despite this, a cluttered inventory in Morrowind is still so much easier to work with than one in Oblivion or especially Skyrim.
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.