[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we discuss the best RPG ever created

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: b.png (766KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
b.png
766KB, 1024x768px
Can we discuss the best RPG ever created
>>
>>377845432
>Gothic
>RPG
>>
File: Suchender_transparent.png (90KB, 200x384px) Image search: [Google]
Suchender_transparent.png
90KB, 200x384px
sorry only care about seekers
>>
>>377845432
morrowind
>>
>>377845432
But OP, that's not Morrowind.
>>
>>377845432
sorry thats not WoW
>>
>>377846116
the owner of the brothel in op is one
>>
File: goth.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
goth.webm
3MB, 800x450px
gothic 2 is my favorite rpg of all time followed by morrowind and gothic 1
>>
File: blocks.png (4MB, 1918x1050px) Image search: [Google]
blocks.png
4MB, 1918x1050px
*blocks ur path*
>>
>>377847268
Mine too, but morrowind and gothic 1 are shit.
Fuck you.
>>
>>377847304
*crossbow him*
>>
>>377846057
(you)
>>
Sure thing, OP.

Nilfgaard or Redania?
Emhyr or Radovid?
>>
>>377847912
OP said RPG, not interactive movies
>>
>>377847912
visual novel thread is two pages down
>>
>>377845432
If /v/ put its head together to make a game it would sound like a bowling alley.

Plus it was already done.
Age of Derpadence.

Nobody bought it.
Those that did barely played it.
The total number of people who finished it gets close to triple digits.

That is the power of Monacled taste.
>>
File: Raven (2).webm (3MB, 1000x528px) Image search: [Google]
Raven (2).webm
3MB, 1000x528px
I wish the main story wasn't complete shit

But otherwise it's the best RPG ever made
>>
>>377848902
The Raven fight was pretty shit. A simple one-on-one fight against a dude with a sword. I mean, after Cor Kalom, his army, a giant minecrawler spitting fire, and five archdemons all at once that fight, scratch that, the entire Temple of Adanos was a fucking letdown.
>>
>>377848091
>>377848159
xD
>>
File: 1494803399838.jpg (282KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494803399838.jpg
282KB, 1920x1080px
>>377849840
>>
>>377849906
dont
argue
with
witcher 3 fags
>>
>>377849509
what did you expect from a complete retard with god like sword?
lasers out of his dick?
>>
>>377849509
well, he was electrocuting you on blocks so you had to take different strategy than just rhythm attack
>>
>>377850195
It was a Mayan inspired temple where an ancient evil got sealed and flooded the shit out of by a pissed off god. I'm sure they could have figured something out.

That one temple with the Orc camp in front of it and those catlike fire demons or elementals or whatever inside was more challenging.
>>
>>377849509
The Halls of Irdorath were way worse.
>>
>>377851092
base G2 was kinda bad core-wise overall. I mean, it was amazing to live in khorinis society or come back to ruined mining valley (and therefore game was great anyway), but basic idea of armies of darkness and dragons is as generic as you can get.

NoTR added "gothic" uniqueness to g2.
>>
>>377845432
But that's not Sonic 06
>>
>>377851092
I liked Irdorath. It was not as good as the Temple of the Sleeper, but at least it was a honest to god dungeon. And it had a lot of things going on. Like Cor Angar, finding Pedro, Mario's betrayal, the lizard egg potion. Temple of Adanos was just a bunch of corridors. Old Mine was a million times more memorable than it.
>>
>>377847268
I started the game in the last few days.. It's really nice but I hate the fact that so much fucking 1 hits you. Or a combat system that is made for 1v1's and you're always getting 2 or more enemies at once
>>
>>377851801
you can beat first chapter of g2 almost without using your weapon at all. Level up, get armor, block a lot.
>>
>>377851801
Thats what makes it so great. In the beginning you're so weak that you actually WILL pay people money so they dont beat you up. And once you get stronger it makes it all the more satisfying to take it back. multi enemy encounters also become less of a problem as you get better armor
>>
>>377849906
>>377849993
>daily contrarian anti-witcher garbage
Yes, I can spew memes and retarded straw men about your favorite games as well
>>
>>377852062
do it in your own thread dumb skyrim baby
>>
>>377851352
G2 vanilla was also way to easy. NoTR on the other hand was way too hard.

The worst thing about NoTR is that you cannot fight dragons as a full mage. Full mage is nigh on impossible to play anyway, but none of the 4th circle spells can kill a dragon. If you try toasting a dragon with a big fireball, he will regenerate his health before you can drink enough mana potions to restock for another spell. The only way to fight them is with a summon demon scroll, which is fucking cheap to do.

Kinda bad if any farmer with 5 mana could potentially murder a dragon if he had 500 gold for a scroll.

>>377851748

The thing is that the Temple of Adanos isn't end-game content. It comes smack dab in the middle of the game and is built more around solving traps and getting to Raven than being an end-game dungeon. It would be weird to have a dungeon on the same level of narrative weight as the Halls of Irdorath in the expansion, right before the climax of chapter 4.

No, the Halls of Irdorath are shit. It's basically one giant corridor with the easiest/most bullshit traps and puzzles. Diego solves all of them for you. Otherwise it's just a gauntlet of enemies.

The switch puzzles are just a continuous grind of respawning enemies since none of the switch orders are telegraphed to you. The thing about the Temple of the Sleeper was that it had great end-game dungeon design. It FELT like you were at the end of the game, facing hordes of skeletons, undead priests, solving puzzles with the ancient inscriptions, navigating tunnels and vast, cobwebbed halls. You find an ancient blade that you have to imbue with new magical energy and return to kick more ass.

Halls of Irdorath by comparison: Long corridor, fight a normal dragon, long corridor, fight some no-name black priest, fight undead dragon. The undead dragon is so unmemorable by comparison. Just summon a demon and its gg.
>>
>>377851801
git gud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQgTa7qS9wg
>>
>>377851950
I only got the militia armor until now and I'm level 6, and most enemies still 1 hit me

>>377851995
..never saw it that way. Guess I'm just exploited by other games
>>
>>377852464
Totally forgot about the fanatic and apocalyptic templars. They were fucking scary for me as a kid, with their red eyes and possessed faces. The fact that you had to bust out a lightning bolt or 5th circle spell to even damage them was spooky.

And another thing about magic: In Gothic 1 getting to the 6th circle is special because only Xardas teaches it, and the other mages simply havent come that far. And you get that swanky robe of the dark arts which is fucking metal. Uriziels Ring of Death is also a kickass spell to ring in the end-game: You're raining some serious death on dudes now.

In Gothic 2 NoTR everything was just a calculation of how many points you can spend to max out your stats so that you can even progress. Being a mage is a pain in the ass that way. Every decent spell costs like 150 mana, and that's realistically what you will get unless you go full mage. I get that Gothic 1 mana management was a little too easy, but they really went overboard with it in NoTR. The first few playthroughs I had of NoTR were a nightmare, because if you don't know that you'll have to spend 25 learning points to get +5 mana at some point you're going spend some shit in the wrong attirbutes sooner or later.
>>
>>377852754
instead of relying on your armor tanking damage, you have to learn how to avoid getting hit instead, most creatures have different attack patterns and you have to learn how to dodge their attacks. Learning how to fight vs a human without getting hit once literally takes fuckton of practice and it's an insane learning curve
>>
>>377845432
I've bought the complete gothicc collection in steam and tried to play 1 and 2. Both are so fucking horrible technically-wise. 1st doesn't have mouse controls and runs at 20 fps locked. 2nd iirc doesn't have the fps lock but still feels like original re4 port by ubisoft.

3 is fine with controls but holy shit it has serious fps issues, like drops from 100 to 20 all the time
>>
DUDE WEED: the game
>>
>>377853157
install DX11 faggot, and the controls in gothic 2 actually feel amazing after you get used to them
>>
>>377853157
> he can't into the superior mouse controls

Git gud or git killed.
>>
>>377852754
>most enemies
well, you can't kill everything off the bat. There is no level scaling (which is great thing to have), so just get back when you level up.

>>377852910
>spookiness
>started g1, haven't even got internet back then so knew nothing about the game
>got tired questing, so started aimlessly running around the forest
>of course in my low level it was all about running away from everything
>ended up in old tower on the coast
>running inside, lost enemies
>going downwards, narrow tunnel
>out of fucking nowhere, skeleton
>realized i haven't saved in a while

this game isn't really spooky, but i still remember my raised heartbeat and general panic. good times
>>
File: 1 (25).webm (3MB, 1100x618px) Image search: [Google]
1 (25).webm
3MB, 1100x618px
>tfw you start swinging like a pro
>>
>>377853386
That was my first death to a skeleton. It took me a long time to join a camp because we were kids and didn't know how. So i ran around for a better weapon, stumbled into that tower and got 1-hit killed a skeleton. Didn't even manage to turn around.
>>
>>377852464
I'm not saying Temple of Adanos should be like a final dungeon, because clearly that would be an unreasonable expectation. But the puzzles were not enough to carry it, nor were the few fights you had inside. NotR had an incredibly strong build up, both before and after arriving to Jharkendar, up until the point you enter the temple itself. Then it just fizzles out.

They could have done so much with it. The overworld of Jharkendar was fantastically designed, but none of the great ideas transfered over to the dungeon. You have nothing like the hole you can jump down, or the ledges that are hard to jump over. NotR added great spells, but not a single enemy that uses them. The Ring of Water just lose all relevance once you step over the portal. The Mages of Water never take a single step out of their camp.

You don't have to make an end-game tier dungeon in order to make it memorable. That is why I brought up the Old Mine. It used its vertical design and darkness to make it memorable, and it worked. It wasn't like any other dungeon in the game. Or in this case any other dungeon in the expansion sans puzzles. When you finish an expansion "Wait, that's it?" is not a good feeling to have. I kept waiting for something else to happen in the later chapters, because I couldn't believe there was nothing more to it.

>It's basically one giant corridor with the easiest/most bullshit traps and puzzles.

That's completely true, sadly. On the flip side it gives you enough opportunities to go on a power trip with 6th circle spells and feel like a demi-god if you are a full mage.

But again, what saves Irdorath for me is that it wraps up quite a few plotlines, and gives proper pay off for the story. It flows. And since Gothic 2 mostly pussied out of doing dungeons in general, it feels different enough compared to the rest of the game to make it work.

>Diego solves all of them for you.

He does? Kek, never asked him. Like you said the puzzles were all pretty simple.
>>
>>377845432
This is the best game we Germans ever created, almost everything else is upper garbage or some weird student indie stuff from the game design school in Berlin nobody will ever plays besides the creators and a few hipster.
>>
I can't pick between FNV or Gothic 2 to replay

Gothic 2 I haven't even finished because everytime I got somewhat far the game crashed on me but now I have a steam copy so I'm hoping it will be better

thinking about joining the paladins but doing all that shit for a fourth time gets really boring
>>
Thats not Kotor 2, New Vegas, Morrowind, Planescape or Icewind Dale
>>
just started a playrthrough just a few days ago

story and setting a generick as fuck , but the characters and dialogues are great

never knew this game was popular outside germany
>>
>>377852910
>In Gothic 1 getting to the 6th circle is special because only Xardas teaches it, and the other mages simply havent come that far.

Damn you, with a single sentence you managed to trigger my Gothic 3 PTSD.

The greatest wizard who ever lived. The Necromancer. The Demon Summoner. The guy who backstabbed two gods and got away with it.

And I will never, ever get to have my final showdown against this guy.
>>
>>377856056
That's why I have always liked Gothic 1 more than 2. The setting is unique and the atmosphere is unmatched with everything else that makes Gothic so good.
>>
>>377856695
setting and main story is better in Gothic 1, but the quests are boring fetch-fest and the game is easy as fuck. After playing 2 which was hard as fuck, I replayed gothic 1 again and I got OP in 20 minutes and destroyed everything in my path for the rest of the game with 0 problems
>>
>>377856875
I mean you can do the same in G2 once you know where everything is. Nothing is randomized so the games aren't hard to exploit in that way.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.