[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A game for the thinking men

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: oYwvJ_d.jpg (45KB, 360x411px) Image search: [Google]
oYwvJ_d.jpg
45KB, 360x411px
A game for the thinking men
>>
I liked it more than Kazooie
>>
>>377837083
Me too, it's pretty close though for me.
>>
>>377837083
Me too
That might have to do with how I never played Kazooie though
>>
I'm playing through it right now, on Jolly Roger Bay. It does take a bit more time to do everything in a level, but with notes not being individual and no more mumbo tokens it doesn't seem as worrisome collecting everything.
>>
>>377839093
>on Jolly Roger Bay

You've seen nothing yet, kiddo.
>>
>>377839093
Tooie is not that much collecting (sans Jinjos, every other item is easy to find). Is more about puzzle-solving than any other platformer.
>>
>>377836947
grunty industries is unironically one of the best levels ever made. We'll never get that level of intricacy from a 3D platformer ever again. Feels bad man.
>>
My girlfriend loves that game. I backed yooka Laylee to get her name in the credits for it, and she thought it sucked.
>>
File: 1495226651320.jpg (5KB, 247x250px) Image search: [Google]
1495226651320.jpg
5KB, 247x250px
>>377839960
That level seriously makes me feel stupid.
>>
>>377836947
Not as good as Kazooie, at all.
>>
>>377836947

>Emulation keeps crashing.

FUCK.
>>
I always think it's weird when people point to Tooie as a contributor to the death of collectathons, especially compared to DK64. I mean, even Kazooie has a greater emphasis on collecting stuff than its sequel. Within Tooie, notes are super easy to find in one go, they don't reset upon death, eggs and feathers are everywhere, and refill quickly. The only things that require outright scouring are the Jinjos, which are admittedly a bit more arbitrary in Tooie than the collect-five structure from Kazooie.

The sprawling levels are mainly to emphasize platforming, exploration, and the Jiggy missions, which is what the main attraction should be in the first place. I think people tend to overlook that Tooie tends to do actual platforming level design a lot better than Kazooie, which only had it emphasized in the last two levels.
>>
>>377840382
PFFFT

Maybe if you like jiggies laying out in the open for the first half of the game
>>
>>377840562
People don't say Tooie killed the genre, that thing is always pointed to DK64.
People don't like Tooie because the levels are empty in comparison to Kazooie with the lack of collectibles, and how big they are also makes it less fun (specially with Banjo's slow-ass speed). The fact that you need some moves that you get as late as 3 levels later also make you question if you should keep exploring the level because you're missing a move.
Tooie also doesn't have that much of platforming sans the typical high-jumps or spot-to-spot jumps that were also in BK and DK64.
Tooie in the end is more of a mixed bag. Some people like it more than Kazooie and others don't, and I've seen more Tooie fans as of lately in comparison to Kazooie fans.
>>
>>377840625
No different from Power Stars in the first half of SM64, which is inarguably the best collectathon platformer ever made
>>
>>377841668
SM64 is a mediocre 3D platformer that is important because it showed the industry how 3D controls were done properly.

It is important, that doesn't necessarily mean its a great game, in this case it certainly doesn't. Pretty much all of the well received 3D platformers post Mario 64 are better than Mario 64.
>>
>>377841604
>Tooie in the end is more of a mixed bag

That's actually pretty true. Kazooie has a much more consistent design philosophy that slowly expands and reaches nice high levels in the late game (though stuff like RBB's Engine Room stick out as questionable difficulty spikes.)

Tooie probably has more in common with a 3D Metroidvania than a typical collectathon, with interconnected levels, backtracking emphasis, and moves being learned up until the last level. Personally, what makes Tooie really interesting to me is the split-up mechanic, as it makes traversal vastly different depending on your character. Momentum isn't really an element discussed in the Banjo games, and is usually associated a lot more with Mario and Sonic, but Tooie had some interesting momentum mechanics when you were split-up (though admittedly not as deep as SM64, Sunshine, or SA1). Usage of the Pack Whack's double jump, and chaining different moves Kazooie had together (leg spring --> double jump --> wing whack comes to mind) led to some reaally interesting traversal scenarios.
>>
>>377842418
That reminds me that DK64 also has some interesting movement options (even if they're glitches).
moonkick with DK, moontail with diddy, orange boost, skid jumps, OoB C-Up clip, Orange Clipping, Swimming throught shores, etc...
You can get some interesting skips when using any of those moves.
>>
File: 1491762354527.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1491762354527.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>377836947
>a game also for thinking men
>>
>>377843026
You did this specifically because that one anon got angry at you in the Zelda shitposting thread.
>>
>>377840384
>emulate with a 60fps gameshark code
>the timed missions run down many times faster

Drives me nuts when devs deliberately design their games around a certain framerate
>>
>>377839093
>that Mumbo token in Gobi's Desert
All they had to do was move it a little so you could flutter to it on your way down if you missed it before draining the pyramid. Makes me so mad.

Also they should have established the "put eggs into every round hole" mechanic better. So many people get stuck on the pale, the spider webs, and the flower. Plus that missable grate shortcut too.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.