[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morrowind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

File: download (2).jpg (9KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9KB, 256x192px
What's so good about it?
>>
Its a semi-interactive book
>>
>>377830717
everything
>>
The world, the quantity of towns, quests, guilds, main quest, music, build variety, magic crafting, and the dlc are all top tier.
>>
>>377832048
Don't forget the mods.
>>
>>377830717
The combat
>>
>>377830717
Has everything a good RPG should have. Even the bad combat system.
>>
>>377830717
Complex character building, ability to finish quests in multiple ways
Huge detailed world full of secrets on every corner unlike other open world games that are just miles of copypasted models you cannot interact with
>>
File: tumblr_o5l62kFoO01runr2qo2_1280.jpg (710KB, 1152x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5l62kFoO01runr2qo2_1280.jpg
710KB, 1152x1920px
Anyone know of some good audio mods for Morrowind?

Its far too quiet and sterile for me to get absorbed into as much as I can with later games.
>>
>>377830717
unparalleled world building, excellent writing, playable game
>>
File: ps2.jpg (51KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
51KB, 500x375px
>>377830717
>>377830717
Ask yourself: What is it that makes people label a game an "action RPG"? Without a doubt it is the main character's ability to evolve as the game progresses, according to choices made by the player. If the protagonist of an action game gains experience or skill points/levels/hit points/whatever, and if the player has some control over how these are distributed, this, to the average person who plays videogames, means that the game should be labeled as an action RPG. But then why is no one calling Devil May Cry 3 an action RPG? It has character classes and levelling, and your character can learn all sorts of new skills, as well as acquire and equip a large amount of weapons and items. So in what way is DMC3 different from something like, say, Morrowind?

The answer is: "Bethesda didn't publish it". Laugh all you want, dear reader, but I am telling you that this is how it is. It is time we faced the fact that in the world of videogames the publishers don't just simply own magazines, websites, and legions of fans: They also own the goddamn genres.

The Elder Scrolls games are little more than stat-heavy action games, the only difference being that progression through them is not entirely linear. The main plot, however, is still virtually unchangeable by the player, hence they cannot be viewed as RPGs.

The pure, unadulterated "RPG" label should only be applied to games that deserve it (i.e. to narrative-driven games in which the player's choices "shape the direction and outcome" of the story) so that it's assured that actual role-playing will be involved. So far the only non-MMO electronic game I am personally aware of that deserves to be called an RPG is Deus Ex, and even that is not a pure RPG, because there is a heavy action element.
>>
>>377831213
game recognizes you're starting to read faster.
>+10 reading skill
>gain ability to use more complex words in lore/dialogue
>mfw game makes your smarter
>>
File: 1475890433219.jpg (2MB, 1600x989px) Image search: [Google]
1475890433219.jpg
2MB, 1600x989px
>>377834439
What about some music mods that add ambient tracks interspliced with local folk instrumentation.
that shits comfy yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPZtRmx1Dyk&feature=youtu.be&t=1290

The ashlands wouldn't be such a slog to trek through if I could hear the echos of ashlander drumming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qNYlFtvt6w
>>
is it worth to drop oblivion to play this gaem?
>>
>>377836448
Yes.
But don't expect something similar.
Oblivion is a bit dumbed down.
>>
>>377836448
depends on what you like about oblivion, it might be time to play morrowind if you've already logged 100s of hours in oblivion
>>
File: veloth.png (637KB, 696x461px) Image search: [Google]
veloth.png
637KB, 696x461px
>>377830717

Lore & World-Building

Everything else is either bad, outdated, or mediocre.
>>
>>377837302
>Lore & World-Building
It's really sad, the only thing really keeping my playing the other Elder Scrolls games is the world they set up in Morrowind and it feels like Bethesda are never going to properly bring that world to life. We got a little tease with Kirkbride on KoTN with a lot of cool subtext in that DLC but aside from that it feels like they'd rather go generic fantasy rather than using the amazing world they have already.
>>
>>377837560
unfortunately the world doesnt have to be amazing to sell well, to most people a generic fantasy world is interesting enough, but to people who consume a ton of fantasy media, the world has to be very unique to be interesting.
>>
File: feels.jpg (104KB, 680x1000px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
104KB, 680x1000px
>>377837560

If it's any consolation, Skyrim was less bad than Oblivion in that department.

Hopefully the next game will continue to improve.
>>
>>377838568
hopefully with all the critical response to skyrim and especially fallout 4 it will be better
>>
File: foulmurder.jpg (169KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
foulmurder.jpg
169KB, 800x582px
the ending of the words is ALMSIVI
>>
>>377830717

comfy handcrafted world
>>
>>377830717
you had to be there

>tfw opening up this game and using the map that comes with the game to find location like the tiny sunken ship in the water and actually finding a ship
>tfw the map was big enough and the details small enough that you could find a new thing to explore with every look

its too late now
>>
>>377840219
i played it to hype up for skyrim and enjoyed it thoroughly, it only ended up making skyrim more disappointing but oh well.
>>
>>377840219
I disagree, if you expect it to be a masterpiece of a game that will amaze you in every way, you're going to be disappointed. Morrowind is a game that's much bigger than the sum of its parts, I've been playing again recently since I've lost a lot of knowledge about it (mainly quests from guilds I only did once in the past) and I keep surprising myself. Like that time I was in the Fighter's Guild and cleared out the vampire nest only to realise that nest was actually one of the factions.
>>
>>377840840
>disagreeing
>with me

boi

I forget to mention the added factor of being underaged. Morrowind is god tier when you are underaged on released. Its too late now. It's shit today. Maybe if your stranded somewhere if no internet and a shit pc it becomes much better.
>>
>>377841073
>Its too late now. It's shit today

wrong

i played it for the first time last year and had a blast

it still holds up
>>
>>377841073
your anecdote does not counter other peoples anecdotes
>>
>>377841583
except it literally and objectively does
>>
>>377841854
oh oh no you trolled me oh nooo
>>
Im currently playing it for the first time. The beginning hours almost made me drop it, but I think the game is growing on me. The atmosphere and worldbuilding is great. The worst part for me is probably the honestly frustrating combat. I also wish there was some way to make countryside travel less of a boring slog.
>>
>>377842350
>thinking someones trying to troll him
>>
>>377842943
building a good character can make the start a whole lot more bearable, high speed and weapon skill are the difference between a fun or shitty start, this is something that stops being a problem as you learn how the game works
>>
>>377843025
>>trying to troll me
>>
>>377830717
I havent seen a game since with the same depth of character options (gear slots that arent cliche, many ways to accomplish the same goal using different spells)
>>
>>377842943
Combat is a clusterfuck because of how many stats it relies on for you to be able to hit(Agility, Fatigue, Skill level and Luck), on top of a dice roll.

Wandering the countryside gets a bit more bearable when you memorize where each port takes you to and you get some simple teleportation spells (Both intervention spells, plus Mark/Recall) under your belt.
>>
>>377836448
oblivion is garbage so yeah
>>
File: CHIM.jpg (88KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
CHIM.jpg
88KB, 1024x768px
CHIM
>>
>>377830717
combat,world,towns,music,quests and yes, even MUH ATMOSPHERE
>>
File: 20170521004050_1.jpg (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170521004050_1.jpg
147KB, 1024x768px
Stealing from the treasury vaults in Vivec is easy
>>
File: lore with tg.png (48KB, 885x392px) Image search: [Google]
lore with tg.png
48KB, 885x392px
>>377843813
CHIM
>>
chrysamere best sword fuck everything else
>>
If fucking only that the Skyrim combat was replaced for Morrowind

Or the character custom..
>>
>>377844054
this is what ruined the game

you basically have infinite money and infinite power because you can just steal and kill everyone.
>>
>>377844657
Alchemy is also OP as fuck and makes you an unstoppable force of nature

Enchanting gets pretty OP as well if you use a mod to increase the enchantment limit on item.
>>
>>377844454
dunmer criminal type character using a paladin's sword made becoming nerevarine extra cool
>>
File: 1309205250679.jpg (156KB, 1048x762px) Image search: [Google]
1309205250679.jpg
156KB, 1048x762px
>>377830717
>Lore
>best magic in the series
>best cities in the series
>best towns in the series, Oblivion had basically none, Skyrim's were all the same
>no quest markers makes exploring and finding your way to a destination a ton of fun
>art direction
>very minimal level scaling, great feeling of progression
>hand placed loot
>fast travel network and magic
>best world map in the series
>Tamriel Rebuilt, the most ambitious and long running mod in the series
>this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44747/?

>>377844657
I broke a million gold for the first time in my most recent playthrough of Morrowind. Mudcrab merchant is so broken.
>>
>>377830717
The MQ. The best in the series in every aspect by far.
Everything else was dog shit.
>>
>>377845320

That's real fuckin CHIM
>>
>>377845320
>Mudcrab merchant is so broken.
I almost want to mod out mudcrab and creeper merchants for my next playthrough but all that will achieve is make it take more ingame days, not necessarily more real world time, to amass what essentially is infinite money.
>>
File: 1476805605252.jpg (2MB, 2500x1030px) Image search: [Google]
1476805605252.jpg
2MB, 2500x1030px
Can we just compare Skyrim and Morrowind's writing for a moment?
The forsworn and the ashlanders fill pretty much the same role in both of the games.
They're native tribes regarded with extreme suspicion and prejudice and play a significant role in their game's story.

However the Ashlanders are much more interesting. They are regarded with suspicion because their culture is in extreme opposition to the established order, not because it is violent and alien, but because they detest that the foundation of this was culture was because of a horrific betrayal and a continued effort to hide this through books upon books of false history.

Meanwhile the Forsworn are not so complex even though they played a major role in the rise of Ulfric Stormcloak and the rebellion. But this fact is hardly brought up, Ulfric's slaughter of passive women, children and elderly in the retaking of Markarth is rarely brought up to give him and the forsworn more flavour.

However maybe this is because of the methods of storytelling in the two games, but I still feel as if this shows the difference in writing between the two games.
>>
>>377845931
make a mod that makes everything 100x more expensive to buy
>>
>>377846702
I think the value of ebony, glass and daedric stuff might just need to be reduced.
>>
>>377846178
The Forsworn weren't an integral part of the MQ.
The Ashlanders were.

That may be one reason for the Ashlanders being more fleshed out.
>>
>>377844657
You dont have to do that.

Rule #1 to playing morrowind as an actual RPG: Be the character. The game isnt perfect, its abusable and theres no fixing that. But you dont have to abuse it.

Why does your wizard traveling the world in seek of power or fame or whatever your motivations are care about whats in the vivec vault, unless his motivation is actually just money? etc etc

If you press loot all when killing enemies for anything other than convenience youre doin it wrong. Which is okay, part of what makes the game great is you can do so much. But you dont get to complain about it.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.