[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "being progressive" ruining video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14

File: 1495479082624.png (9KB, 221x276px) Image search: [Google]
1495479082624.png
9KB, 221x276px
Is "being progressive" ruining video games?
>>
File: 1495077073173.jpg (54KB, 305x309px) Image search: [Google]
1495077073173.jpg
54KB, 305x309px
Just look at biowares games their shit with every character being a special snowflake. Pansexual and shit. Ever ffxv had the whole not enough women mehhh too sexualized it's shit when the developers bend to their "needs"
>>
>>377822636

No you faggot. What's ruining games is the fact it's an industry that overworks it's employees and rewards repetitive copying than innovation .

Some dyke releasing a game about another tranny dyke with purple hair that less than 500 people will play means absolutely nothing to video games other than annoying neckbeards who cry when they see something that's not a generic dude with guns on the screen.
>>
>>377822892
Mass effect is shit due to time constraints and poor animation, I have no fucking idea how you could look at a game like mass effect andromeda and say it's the lesbians' fault with shit like "my face is tired"
>>
File: 1493536818962.jpg (616KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1493536818962.jpg
616KB, 800x800px
>>377822636
Not really.
It's just ruining the expectations of the fuckwits that sit in HR claiming they need to meet some sort of "diversity quota" in their games to not seem ignorant.

The problem is they usually go about it in the worst way possible, and end up doing more harm than good. It's fine to make different characters but if the only thing the player knows about them is that they only munch carpet or they secretly want to be a little anime girl, then people get the wrong message.

Especially on a Malaysian Lama Shearing forum
>>
No but it sure provides cannon fodder for /pol/ fuckbois to come in an ask "LOOK AT THIS THING, ARENT YOU MAD? DONT YOU HATE WOMEN/BROWN PEOPLE?" or whatever the fuck
>>
>>377822913
winner winner chicken dinner

fuck /pol/
>>
No, because the developers making the "progressive" games weren't going to put out a quality product to begin with. They mask terrible games with pandering, but it isn't working. Good games still don't push "progressive" themes and likely never will, so there's nothing to ruin. Just stop playing games made by incompetent devs like Bioshit.
>>
>>377822636
putting something in a game (or any other artistic medium) in order to make it anything other than better at its intended purpose is generally pretty bad.

if you want to put something in your game just to please some social demographic you might as well put jar-jar binks in there as well to please the kids and put the latest pop song as its main theme to please the normies.
>>
>>377823098
>I have no fucking idea how you could look at a game like mass effect andromeda and say it's the lesbians' fault with shit like "my face is tired"

they clearly were trying to not use makeup much at all on female characters and then realized that one chick looked like a fucking man with short hair and quickly tried to paint her face up

they even touched up faces afterwards to make women look more like women, probably because of complaints about them looking retarded
>>
>>377822636
How many layers of irony are we on here?
>>
>>377822913
pretty fuckin much
>>
No
Even if a game does push that shit it's just another marketing tactic. The companies making the game likely don't give a single fuck about being progressive, they're just looking for money. By complaining about it you're giving them free marketing as well.
>>
>>377823356
>Good games still don't push "progressive" themes and likely never wil

Mass Effect was a good franchise, they took over and destroyed it with pandering

Fuck you
>>
File: 1403503810269.jpg (42KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1403503810269.jpg
42KB, 500x380px
>>377822636
If you're more worried about being progressive with your game, you're probably less worried about actually making a game that's fun to play.
>>
>>377822636
Yes. The only important aspect of agame is to be fun to play instead of spreading some kind of message or political opinion.
Thats why Japanese games are superior to western crap.
>>
>>377822913
>and rewards repetitive copying than innovation .
Fucking this. It's the god damn current year. You'd think we'd be swimming in games with countless cool features and quirky premises. Instead it's the same game getting released 15 times a year with a different coat of paint on it.
>>
>>377822636
>Is "being progressive" ruining video games?
No, expecting games to drive and promote progress is.
Same with expecting games to promote traditional values.
Let games be whatever the fuck the developer wants.
>>
File: 1483572938080.jpg (142KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483572938080.jpg
142KB, 1280x720px
>>377822636
Not exactly. Marketing games to any group besides "people who play games" is what's ruining games. The only target audiences for games should be age groups.
>>
>>377822636

that comic is so fucking gay, everyone that liked it is a complete fuckin retard
>>
>>377823356
you're forgetting that this is a realistic scenario in modern game development:

>writer writes for a game, good character and a good world
>publisher (the people with all the money and ultimately control) comes and checks the work
>"okay this is good, but X is a big social thing now so put it in the game"
>"but that would make it shit"
>"market research says otherwise, so do it"

big budget game development is governed by corporate decision making and what corporations do is influenced a lot by public opinion (especially outrage). artistic integrity and quality is real low on the list of important things.

ME:A would probably not be a good game anyway but the original trilogy changed writers to become more mass appealing trash probably because of something similar to this example.
>>
File: 2014-02-24-internetcomix.jpg (134KB, 900x489px) Image search: [Google]
2014-02-24-internetcomix.jpg
134KB, 900x489px
>>377822636
Not being dedicated to making good games first is bad. Ninja Gaiden would still be awesome if everything was the same but I was playing as some tranny or something.

Notice how bioware games are still buggy badly written messes with poor gameplay? Would that change if you were an epic nazi fighting the SJW menace?

Of course whether it's even possible to make a quality game if politics are that big of a deal in your life is another question entirely. It isn't.
>>
File: 1415543421550.jpg (86KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1415543421550.jpg
86KB, 400x400px
>>377822636

You're looking at a symptom, not a cause.
This generation's John Carmack didn't sit one day at his desk to start working on the next Doom or Dark Souls and then suddenly came to the realization that he should instead make a spiritual successor to Gone Home. All that happens is that people who ordinarily would have a really hard time getting into classical game design, or have subpar abilities on the field, can either instead make something mechanically much simpler that serves their goal of telling whatever story they want to tell, focusing on the things they want to focus on.

This trend can even be completely detached from any social message whatsoever, like making a nice environment to explore [like all the assorted walking simulators out there. Gone Home is one, but so is, say, Journey and Stanley Parable], or, what's actually damaging, maliciously using the veil of progressive character design in lieu of actually making interesting gameplay or character design and storytelling [Bioware]. Using politics and apparent pandering to cover up for their anemic skills in game design is something that should first and foremost damn the creator, not whatever political smokescreen he's hiding behind.
>>
>>377822636
I can tell you threads bitching about muh SJWs have ruined /v/
Fuck off /pol/
>>
File: maxresdefault-7.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-7.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
>>377823307
>>377822913
You faggots are exactly what's part of the problem. Everything is fucking /pol/ to you.

I am not even a conspiracy theorist but the amount of Social Justice bullshit being propelled on /v/ as of late is really starting to make me believe 90% of you fucks ARE actually paid "shills".

It makes sense once you realize that vidya is a multi billion dollar industry, there was a LOT of money invested into Social Justice pandering and the companies that invested are not getting returns because SJWs don't actually purchase enough vidya to cut a profit.

This, I am pretty sure there is some NeoGaf-esque sweat-shop out there, filled will low paid starving students, for the sole purpose of trying to meme this intersectional philosophy, to give the impression these dying brands that bet on the wrong horse are some how en-vogue.

It's been proven time and time again that have you little shits straight up do not beling on this website. You do not appear to understand board culture and frankly it's been pissing people off for a long long time.

I don't want to go full Gater-Gate, but at NO point in time did 4chan EVER condone slut culture. Faggotry has always been ridiculed but most of us are faggots ourselves. We are self-aware.

GTFO YOU STUPID NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER FUCK YOU NIGGER.

t. some random black weebo oldfag that is sick of your dumb ass hipster cater to my needs bullshit.

I AINT YOUR PERSON OF COLOR FUCK YOU DIE SLOW YOU STUPID BEARDED NU-Male faggot nigger shit.
>>
>>377822636
>ruin"ed"
>>
>>377824814
Fuck off /pol/.
>>
>>377824814
Fuck off /pol/.
>>
>>377822913
Fucking thank you.
Everytime someone says da essjaydoublejoos did it is letting greedy opportunists get away with it.
>>
>>377824814
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>377824814
Quit using /pol/'s pastas.
>>
>>377823098
>Mass effect is shit due to time constraints
There where a lot of constraints in that games development. Brought upon by an unskilled, untalented, unimaginative and mentally bland dev team.
>>
File: gohan-sad-cry-tears-dragon-ball.jpg (75KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gohan-sad-cry-tears-dragon-ball.jpg
75KB, 500x375px
>>377822913
Sorry senpai-a-lam, didn't mean to quote you in that.

Collateral damage, lmao
>>
>>377824776
>>377823307
>>377823248

Le pol boogeyman.

>>>www.reddit.com

>>>www.neogaf.com
>>
No. Wanting to "be like movies" is.
Inferiority complex by nerds who cant accept that they are in the game industry and not in hollywood.

So then,because the dev are not able to produce a good GAME, they can only focus on other issues like SJW crap. So they put that shit in because thats the only thing they can do.

Speaking from the PC perspective here, consoles are the actual problem.

Games since 2k14
>microtransactions
>pre order
>generic scifi setting
>rewards here, press x here, cutscene here
>generic bad/evil dialouge
>crap controls with a hud made by people who never played games
>fov 60
>and at last, put in some sjw shit
>>
>>377824814
>the problem aren't the SJW's, but the fact that innovating usually doesn't make sense in games because they're expensive
>YOU FUCKING SJW SHILL JEWS MUST BE PAYING TO MAKE EVERYONE A LIBERAL BECAUSE THAT IS SOMEHOW A GOOD INVESTMENT
nigga you are literally retarded. Your response would still be way over the top even the the guy had spouted some retarded lefty bullshit, but he literally just said that the whole sjw shit is pretty inconsequential and you just went full sperg mode.
>>
File: 1445112518882.jpg (25KB, 307x352px) Image search: [Google]
1445112518882.jpg
25KB, 307x352px
>>377822913
>What's ruining games is the fact it's an industry that overworks it's employees and rewards repetitive copying than innovation .
I don't get posts like this. You know who "rewards" copying? Players do by buying copy pasted games. It's not some inherent conspiracy within the industry, they're handing out games that appeal to the greatest amount of people.
>>
>>377825018
>>377825458
well fuck, was that just pasta?
shit, I can't keep up with this shit anymore.
>>
>>377824814
Fuck off /pol/
>>
File: 1472750794066.gif (3MB, 300x236px) Image search: [Google]
1472750794066.gif
3MB, 300x236px
>>377825438
So how are consoles the fault of bullshit business tactics, especially when a lot of that stuff got started on PC? Oh right, you're a PC bro. So that means consoles are the root of all evil to you for some retarded reason.
>>
>>377825471
yes, and thats usually the case with most forms of media, but the problem with games is that they tend to be so expensive that trying anything more innovative is really risky.
Though I wouldn't say that it's what "ruining" gaming, hell. I don't think gaming is being ruined, just that it has become way more mainstream, which means most companies just pander to the masses. Which I guess was kind of your point. I guess I kinda agree with both of you.
>>
>>377825910
because dev are producing games for consoles in mind first and later maybe do a pc port.

Games made for consoles are inferior (not only graphics wise) to games made for pc.
>>
>>377822636
>Is "being progressive" ruining video games?- 37 posts and 9 image replies shown.
It's ruining the world. Games are obviously part of that world and some of that negative impact will seep in, but really, it's one of the minor concerns in this particular industry. And it's definitely not something that can be solved or addressed on the level of videogames.

Really, this shit works and exists on an entirely different level and needs to be addressed elsewhere too. People getting mad at "muh cultural marxists ruining my videogames" but not being phased by the fact they are also ruining fucking academia are hypocrites or people looking for excuses to get outraged but not do anything meaningful.

Also, "being progressive" is really just a half of the problem. Accepting the general narrative that radical left wing ideology has been slowly pushing on most of the world in which everything needs to be understood in terms of extreme political animosity and power-struggle is the REAL problem. The difference here is that many people may reject the left-wing ideals, but they still implicitly accept the conflict-theory-based understanding of the world, and end up deepening the issue. It's the case of most of Alt-Right, which at this point is as dangerous as the Progressive Left, if not worse.

It's actually unlikely that "progressive" ideology will "ruin" games faster than stupidity and arrogance of general public, poor business strategies and lack of broader value systems will.

The only way to avoid it's destructive impact is to refuse to engage in a political interpretation of videogames in general. Simply discredit the whole narrative framework.
But then again, that requires certain degree of detachement that I suspect most people in this industry are incapable off.
>>
File: 1495309772735.png (154KB, 1003x311px) Image search: [Google]
1495309772735.png
154KB, 1003x311px
>>377825104
>/pol/
>calling anyone else reddit
Why don't you go back? They like you over there
>>
>>377822636
>deliberately holding back content for dlc
>bugs galore
>lore inconsistencies
>visual downgrades

Those are more important issues to me than niggers and bitches being shoehorned in.
>>
>>377825948
>yes, and thats usually the case with most forms of media, but the problem with games is that they tend to be so expensive that trying anything more innovative is really risky.
Then the problem is people being close-minded and having shit taste. This problem of conformity is already being alleviated though, it's just more common with AAA games. Developing games has become much more accessible, the amount of developers has grown, there are huge libraries of cheaper games on Steam, etc.
>>
There is nothing wrong with being partially progressive. It's just gone too far. Now, the moment anything is slightly progressive you guys just sperg out.
>>
>>377826879
>There is nothing wrong with being partially progressive.
It gets wrong when being progressive becomes a goal and not a fucking tool. That is when it becomes an ideology. It's not that it "went too far", it's that it entirely missed the fucking point in the first place.
And the fact that it created an equally retarded contrareaction is actually a logical and necessary consequence of the way "progress" has been defined over the last thirty or fourty years.
>>
>>377825471
It's a stand alone complex held up by many many many persecution complexes.
>>
>>377823654
No one took over and pandering is not one of the game's actual problems.
>>
>>377822636
To a small extent, although in some cases there's borderline political-brainwashing (Watch Dogs 2, Horizon, NITW, etc).

>>377822913
This is the much bigger problem, and has been since the mid-2000's.
>>
>>377827052
Well man it's a lot easier to say "tannies and minorities are great, m'kay?" then it is to say "hey maybe we shouldn't be in seven wars". Real problems are scary :(
>>
>>377824814
>I am not even a conspiracy theorist but the amount of Social Justice bullshit being propelled on /v/ as of late is really starting to make me believe 90% of you fucks ARE actually paid "shills".
lmao
>>
File: trmp.png (428KB, 1019x802px) Image search: [Google]
trmp.png
428KB, 1019x802px
>>377826526
>>
>>377827512
>Real problems are scary :(
I can wholeheartedly assure you that the logic that makes people go fire highly respected professors because they refuse to use new special gender-neutral pronouns is actually a much, much bigger problem than all the wars in the world combined.

It's not that people want to ignore real problems. It's that the real problem already fucking sits on your neck: you just think that it's being silly right now because it starts with changing silly things.
>>
>>377827814
another goon barking at ghosts...
>>
>>377828018
>ghosts

https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2017/03/another-professor-shouted-time-pronouns/
>>
>>377828018
>another goon barking at ghosts...
Or somebody who has actual education on the subject. I do understand the skepticism, much of which is at alt-right's fault in the first place as they basically poisoned the whole discussion well for few decades ahead, but then again: maybe people who don't know much about this problem, just should not speak at all.
>>
>>377828018
Did you know it's actually now illegal in Canada to not address someone by their preferred pronoun?
>>
>>377828392
>maybe people who don't know much about this problem, just should not speak at all.
That's CENSORSHIPS 1@!??!!! MUH FREE SPEECH
>>
File: 1477318565318.gif (2MB, 476x482px) Image search: [Google]
1477318565318.gif
2MB, 476x482px
>>377828570
Is it really?
>>
>>377827052
This. What started decades ago as "don't discriminate based on race/gender/sexuality" became "you MUST have these in everything you white cis scum / how dare you not pander to crazy snowflake mental cases".

Also having even the slightest concern over statistics (or being part of any police) automatically puts you on the same mentality as Hitler now.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.