[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did this fail? It's legit a good game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

File: Pokkentournament.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pokkentournament.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
Why did this fail? It's legit a good game.
>>
Came out too late with too few pokemon and they didn't even patch it with new ones or anything
>>
>>377808282
I hope it gets a switch port or sequel, etc
also
>>377808347
>>
>>377808282
>fail

Soooo what is a success? Last I heard it outsold SFV, an established franchise
>>
>>377808282
Wii U, they'll port most 1st party games to switch, I bet we'll see a lot of wii u ports at e3
>>
Released on a dead console
Missing some characters
Stupid gameplay
Wii U left behind by Arcade updates
>>
Released on a dying console and no post launch support.
>>
>>377808282
what the shit is a wii u
>>
>>377808282
>Why did this fail?

It outsold SFV despite being a motherfucking Wii U game.
>>
>>377808723
>>377808548
Only one month tho.
>>
>>377808282
because pokefags are too casual for a casual fighting game
>>
>>377808282
Came way late
Smash exists and has Pokemon in it
There roster is small as fuck

The third honestly killed it for me. What the fuck is the point in a Pokemon fighting game with so few reps?
>>
Shit small roster full of pokemon everyone is fucking sick and tired of with maybe 2 exceptions tops.

>no breloom

Game sucks.
>>
File: 1338379811094.png (403KB, 666x672px) Image search: [Google]
1338379811094.png
403KB, 666x672px
>havent seen this game in forever
>decide to check twitch
>only 1 person streaming
>only 12 people watching
wow you cant even make this shit up
>>
>>377808282
>Bamco refused to support it
>Nintendo/TPC refused to acknowledge it.
>both Smash fanbases fucked it over when they said they would support the community
>got pitted agaisnt Marvel for an EVO slot, which guaranteed its death

Pokken had a hard life. And no, it had nothing to do with "two consoles wah" It's like you never heard of PC LAN parties before, which are much more costly and take much more management to do.
>>
>>377808282
No support.

Too barebones.
>>
>>377808548
>>377808723
Fucking hell it did too. What a disaster SFV is.
>>
>>377808548
SFV is up to 1.6 million after this amount of time. Hasn't Pokken still made more money if you include arcade cash?
>>377808548
I think he means failed in the competitive sense. You don't see that many people showing up for it at tournaments and things like that.
>>
How successful would a port with all the arcade characters (plus some more perhaps) to the Switch be?
>>
Smash players saw it wasn't a Smash clone with just Pokemon and lost interest. Fighting game players assumed it was a Smash clone and didn't look into it.
>>377808783
But Pokefags made their own doujin fighting game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNka2sW_ek
>>
Because no-one owns a WiiU
>>
It's on the wii u, not deep enough for the FGC I guess but too deep for the average pokemon fan. Remember, the average pokemon fan can hardly remember the type chart, how were they supposed to remember 16 full movesets?
Also, arcade only pokemon. Don't know why they thought it was a good idea to just not update the console version.
>>
>people excepted this game to have a 500+ roster
You really wanted this game to suffer from Tobal 2/Tenkaichi 3 syndrome? Sure, I'm disappointed by the lack of my favorite Pokemon, but I still learned to live the playstyle of a few characters in the game. I don't even like Pikachu much anymore, but manage to enjoy playing as Pikachu Libre.
>>
>>377809436
Gundam manages 100+ rosters just fine.
>>
>>377809530
How many characters are actually viable in competition and don't just feel like clones/upgrades? Legit curious, as I've never played Gundam VS. Is there a lot of overlap with things like having, say, Exia and 00 Raiser in the same game?
>>
>>377809436
I didn't expect that but I was still disappointed that half of the roster was safe picks like lucario, charizard, mewtwo, Mewtwo 2, pikachu, pikachu 2, and blaziken. Scizor, empoleon, croagunk, and darkrai would have made up for this in my mind but they are arcade exclusive.
>>
>>377809812
How is Empoleon not a safe pick?
>>
>>377808461
>>377808684
I kind of think they wont port it.
It'll have to compete with Smash, SF2 and ARMs on the Switch.
The only competition it had on Wii U was Smash and it couldn't even go against that.
>>
There plenty of reasons why it failed miserably.

1. It was RPS garbage worse than even your typical traditional fighting game.

2. Field phase was terrible, moves just auto targeted your opponent and homed in, removing any need for proper spacing or aiming anything.

3. It had the absolute worst local multiplayer of any current gen game fighting game I had ever seen. You needed two tv, two copies of the game, and two Wii U's to even play this shit properly with another friend. Connections were also incredibly difficult to get going sometimes just not working for no reason at all what so ever. Local tournaments were so fucking terrible sometimes as a result, an entire first round in bracket where every single match had some kind of disconnected midway through.

4. The Wii U is garbage and sold like it should have, which is like garbage.

There's probably even more I just can't remember right now.
>>
I saw machines for it everywhere in Japan.
>>
>>377808282
A majority of fighting game players didn't by a Wii U because the series they cared about were all on Playstation. Obviously it's Pokémon so it couldn't have been on anything else but people definitely would have played it more if it was on the same platform as the rest of their fighting games. Same reason Killer Instinct isn't huge. A fighting game locked down to one place has a harder time catching on. Arms will meet a similar fate.
>>
>>377808917
having to use two consoles defeats the fucking purpose of local multiplayer on consoles you dumbass
>>
>>377808282
Little to no content, shitty ass music, no community.
The combat is too simple, yet fun. This games only grace is the trainer customization and synergy burst system.
>>
It failed because people that bought a Nintendo console didn't want to have to go to a room full of sonybros just to enter a tournament.
>>
>>377810460
also, it was released in the fucking wii-u
>>
>>377808996
Expanding on this.

A lack of lobbies for a fighting game is stupid beyond belief.

The rematch system is even dumber, first person to quit the match gets to keep queuing, the other person gets booted back to the main menu.

There's nothing that prevents you from getting matched to the same person again anyway.

Disconnects don't count as a loss.

There's essentially no way to communicate with your opponent.

There's no fucking replays, what the hell.

Training mode is pretty shit, and doesn't have a record function, which would have been extremely useful here.

Single player/story mode is complete garbage. The grind is boring as hell.

Local VS runs at half the framerate.

LAN play removes stage select.

There's no stage select online.

The three support selection online is retarded. You can choose any fighter pokemon you want, but you're still restricted to a menu of three support sets like you're playing story mode.

No alt skins. Hell, you can't even choose color palettes, and whoever gets the 2p color is randomly decided.
>>
>>377810460
>shitty ass music

bad taste
>>
>>377810039
You have a damn good point. Fucking shame
>>
>>377810039
IMO, they should port it anyway. To not do so is kinda of retarded.
>>
>>377810398
Because its not like they ever did that for 1v1 console shooters my dear underage.
>>
>>377811090
I think so too, but Nintendo is weird.
According to Miyamoto we haven't gotten an F-Zero lately because 200cc exists in Mario Kart.
>>
>>377811150
I have never played a shooter on console. They actually required this? Is that what like Dreamcast port of Unreal Tournament was like?
>>
>>377811259
The old guard needs to leave.

Also it's pretty obvious that they gave MK8 mechanics that F-Zero was known for just because they wanted to make a new F-Zero game but it's Mario Kart that always sells. Forget just Pokken, give me a new F-Zero and a Metroid too.

Also, Pokken had a great OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id69xlDk0f8
>>
>>377809892
It may be a starter but I can't say it's too popular. Sinnoh is kind of old now and empoleon hasn't been used in marketing much since then, unless I missed something. Infernape would have been the actual safe choice of the three but I guess they didn't want a fourth fire starter.
>>
Feels like they went out of their way to make sure it couldn't actually be competitive.
>>
As someone who like fighting games casually:
-Not enough characters
-Not enough modes or ways to play the game
-Unlockables are not interesting to unlock

As someone who likes fighting games competitively:
-Not enough to the mechanics to explore
-Not enough difference in the characters we do have
-worst platform possible to release on
>>
>>377811696
Why bother appeasing the incredibly niche competitive audience? SFV got 5000 entrants at Evo and that was a massive record. If catering my game to a very loud audience that will net me 5k people at most (and we all know other fighting game can touch SF in competition numbers in a lot of regions), what's the point?
>>
>>377808902
>no breloom
my nigga
>>
>>377811259
>According to Miyamoto we haven't gotten an F-Zero lately because 200cc exists in Mario Kart.

We haven't gotten an F-Zero lately because literally every single game since the original has sold like shit. Making a new F-zero would be setting money on fire and the closest you can get is take something that does sell (mario kart) and make it fast.
>>
I kinda want to get back into playing Pokken.
Anyone want to play casuals later or is it way too dead?
>>
Two pikachus was fine but two Mewtwos with perfect movesets and no downsides was crazy retarded. I would rather fight Gardevoir using Machamp 1000 times than fight a single Mewtwo.
>>
>>377808282
I know I might sound pretty but after masked Pikachu I lost all interest
>>
>>377809436
I'd expect them to think something like luchador was unacceptable
>>
It is a naruto style fighting game with an awkward sprinkle of tekken
>>
>>377812779
I can play in one hour
>>
>>377809412
You know that the average pokemon fan has more than 18 years right?
>>
>>377813067
It plays nothing like Tekken at all.
>duel phase has no sidestepping and is entirely on a 2d plane
Is it like Tekken just because it has juggles? Shit, it's barely like Naruto either.
>>
>>377808282
>wii u

Every game released on that piece of shit will be lost to the passage of time. What a digital graveyard that console was
>>
>>377811696
It doesn't need to be competitive just make sure it has everyones favorites
Should have just gotten cyberconnect2 to make the game and go the Ninja Storm route
>>
>>377813108
I'm actually at work atm, won't be back for another few hours. Drop an NNID and I'll add you.
>>
the 2D duel phase is a mix of traditional 2D fighters and tekken, with special cancels, antiairs and such

>>377813260
SSJ-Luffy, although I mainly use discord for matchmaking
>>
>>377813162
I think he meant that they were stupid, not underage. After visiting /vp/ I can't help but agree with him to some degree.
>>377813209
What modern console does that not apply to? I shudder to think what will happen when PSN goes down, and they already delisted so many games anyway. Got into UMvC3 late and had to wait until just a few months ago to even try out Shuma Gorath.
>>
>>377808282
Released too late into the Wii U life, except a Switch sequel.
>>
>>377813343
Is there a Pokken discord then?
>>
>>377813343
What part of the duel phase is like Tekken?
>>
>>377813372
>Taken /vp/ as a reference
Wtf?
>>
>>377813429
https://discord.gg/xUfdM5

>>377813457
juggle system
wallcombos
moves with i10 or slower startup
I would like to say crushframes, but I'm sure 2D fighters also have those
>>
>>377810895
Yes, you have bad taste.
>>
>>377813457
Not that anon, but I think the combo system is somewhat similar in the way inputs work. I played very little Tekken though.
>>
>>377813656
Thanks senpai, I'll add you later.
>>
File: 1494971338088.png (1MB, 1174x881px) Image search: [Google]
1494971338088.png
1MB, 1174x881px
>no hitmonlee/hitmonchan in a pokemon fighting game
>>
>>377814184
>we didn't put Greninja in the game because we didn't want to copy Smash

>pikachu
>charizard
>lucario
>mewtwo
>>
File: 1495228204485.jpg (39KB, 605x454px) Image search: [Google]
1495228204485.jpg
39KB, 605x454px
>>377814184
>pokemon fighting game
>most of the pokemon arent even fighting types
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.