[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Video Games as a medium dying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 911.png (212KB, 441x340px) Image search: [Google]
911.png
212KB, 441x340px
It seems more and more games are just transferring over to 'quickie' games that you just jump in and play for a few minutes if you're bored rather than a full experience you devote time to - And such games that feel like "Fully realized" games are less and less popular, and the only ones that are, like P's Battlegrounds are only so because of fad-popularity.

I think this might be the end of the way we see video games as we know it soon as games keep moving more and more to mobile and simple and quick ones with microtransactions, or appealing to 'purely competitive' crowds
>>
>>377806490
All mediums of art are dying.
>>
I hope so
>>
Games aren't designed for re-playability anymore. They're designed to get your money on release, and then you drop it either totally after a week, or come back to it to purchase some shitty $10 expansion which you will drop after the same period. Depth is removed in order to level the playing field in multiplayer games, so you can learn and master the meta in mere weeks rather than years.
>>
>>377806490
No they're not.
>>
File: flanders.jpg (37KB, 326x294px) Image search: [Google]
flanders.jpg
37KB, 326x294px
>>377806490
>It seems more and more games are just transferring over to 'quickie' games that you just jump in and play for a few minutes

I'd honestly take a shmup over narrative pushing garbage.
>>
>>377806490
nah, as long as Nintendo exists, video games will live on.
>>
At some point its gonna be

>start up game
>Type your name
>Congrats! you win!
>Game closes itself
>>
>>377806490
Big games are getting more and more expensive to make as graphical standards go out of control. Because of that, smaller-scale games that can make money back without big mass marketing campaigns are pretty attractive to companies.
>>
>>377812480
so what your saying is graphics are literally killing games.
>>
File: keep going.jpg (99KB, 408x408px) Image search: [Google]
keep going.jpg
99KB, 408x408px
>>377806490
Pretty much, creativity is dying, franchises are dying (e.g. Halo), less games of note are being released each year, and they are taking longer o come down in price

Vidya will probably die out as it did in the 80's, probably in the same way, then will come back with a new spark or with new technology like (hopefully) holo-deck tier virtual reality

I've personally forsaken /v/ for /co/, still come here ocassionally
>>
This thread screams teenage angst. Out of curiosity how old are most of you?
>>
>>377806490
Japan has gone through a full-blown mobile apocalypse and is still making 100+ hour games. Ot'll be fine.
>>
>>377812724
20 m8
>>
>>377806490
>And such games that feel like "Fully realized" games are less and less popular

I don't know. Nintendo games still sell well and are fun.

>>377811014
>Games aren't designed for re-playability anymore.
>Depth is removed in order to level the playing field in multiplayer games, so you can learn and master the meta in mere weeks rather than years.

Smash Bros and Mario Kart are replayable. Smash 4's metagame is still steadily advancing as people find more combos and safe ways to play neutral.
>>
>>377806490
Do you have some examples?
>>
>>377806490
I wish they would.
Instead we just have a giant pile of shit, with very good games often without marketing in the background.

Every games generation has its problems, this one is mostly the moba cancer coming to consoles.

Look at overwatch: I can't deny my friends are having fun with it, but holy fuck they play only that and became even more shitty at every other game because blizzard evilish game design making players filthy casuals with 10 secs attention span.

One of these yesterday got a game over on fucking green hill zone 1 of all things.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.