[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Japanese devs like edgy storylines so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: smt-nocturne.jpg (143KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
smt-nocturne.jpg
143KB, 1440x1080px
Why do Japanese devs like edgy storylines so much?
>>
Because lonely nerds who need power fantasies to feel better about themselves love them.
>>
>>377803415
Define "edgy".
>>
File: 2559799-bak_sshot075.jpg (410KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2559799-bak_sshot075.jpg
410KB, 1920x1080px
Why do western devs love edgy storylines with brooding moody characters so much?
>>
>>377803512
/thread

Video games are for children and manbaby losers, both of which love power fantasies.
>>
>Culture is one of the most "don't be an individual or we'll kick your ass" types in the developed world
>Art centers on rebellion

No idea, OP
>>
>>377803512
>>377803634
>m-muh power fantasy
You sound like feminists. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>377803689
There's a difference between power fantasy and male power fantasy you uneducated redditor. Children have power fantasies because they're small and weak and always being told what to do, and lonely losers have power fantasies because their lives are sad and depressing and they want to escape
>>
>>377803415
Literally both the West and East like edgy stories as much as the other. In the case of the West they just get presented in a different flavour that Hollyjew said is okay. See >>377803631

>>377803512
Congrats, you described any form of media ever.
>>
>>377803512
>>377803634
> power fantasies

What the fuck else is there to fantasize about besides having power? Being powerless?
>>
Why DO writers like to write edge shit so much? Have they skipped their high school phase or something? Who the fuck wants to remember that time where you thought Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance was cool?
>>
>>377803947
Going on adventures? Being happy? Having a loli imouto?

;_;
>>
>>377803947
Yeah. Your idea falls apart when trying to account for horror movies/games where the protagonist is powerless.
>>
>>377804135
ur mom's pussy falls apart when you account for my dick OOOOOOHHHHH
>>
>>377803415
More like western devs are fucking terrified of making anything too unusual because what if nobody likes it?
Western devs take zero risks.
>>
>>377803976
Bad writers think this is the proper application of character faults and conflict, as it appeals to them while keeping things from being uber-simplistic.

The problem is that they don't recognize that a morally gray/jerk protagonist in a horrible world is nearly the same thing as a flawless hero. They're acknowledging flaws, but the hero is still often above the rest morally and fulfilling the same role of being the admirable figure of the setting.

Basically, if you're too stupid to write a compelling character who the audience is willing to question but still be entertained by, you'll likely just make the entire setting more objectionable in equal measure to create a facsimile of depth. Also, it let's you skip bothering to justify the things your characters do.
>>
>>377804034
>>
>>377804319

Maybe because they spend way more money into production. Blame the suits over at the management. Even Jap devs under American companies have been royally fucked by this, because no one is willing to spend 50 million dollars on someone's passion game. Suits don't give a damn about your artistic vision. They your product to sell with the masses.
>>
>>377803415
Edge is entertaining. Can be cool, stupid, and/or hilarious.
There are zero problems with edgy stories.
>>
>>377803512
Literally every action based piece of media ever made.
>>
>>377804319
As >>377805205 said it's really thanks to corporate for that. One of the reasons why I like the approach of some Jap devs is because they have a tendency to spend less budget but focus on a niche target audience. SMT is a perfect example for this, coincidentally.
>>
Because they're sick that their news likes to portrait their world as if it was just sugar and rainbows. Angsty stories help balance that dilemma.
>>
>>377803415

West is the same

biggest game in the west is like Call of Duty which is edgier than Japanese fantasy games
>>
File: NLilith (1).jpg (365KB, 1280x2420px) Image search: [Google]
NLilith (1).jpg
365KB, 1280x2420px
>>377803415
Playing Nocturne for the first time now, should I put points into AGI? I keep missing. I put nearly all points into MAG when I played SMT 4 but I'm doing STR ow.
>>
Nothing wrong with edge.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.