[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stellaris

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 0ANOHQR.jpg (133KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
0ANOHQR.jpg
133KB, 1152x648px
Tips for a new player on Stellaris? Just went 7 hours into a campaign then got totally destroyed by some triangle guys that had a ship fleet of 10k (i had 4k whilst 80/62). We had the same amount of land and everything.

How do i become good at this game? It's fucking fun but frustrating that i don't know whether i'm going to waste all that time if i can't win.

What's a good amount of sci ships/con ships?
>>
>>377777705
Stellaris general too i guess.
>>
File: uninstall_game.png (1KB, 205x136px) Image search: [Google]
uninstall_game.png
1KB, 205x136px
>>377777705
Here's only tip you need senpai, it'll save you at least 30 hours of staring at a screen with almost nothing happening.
>>
>>377778816
why?
>>
>>377777705
>>377778816
I'll be nice senpai and offer up some of my knowledge before I exit this thread instead of just telling you to uninstall.

Awhile ago some guy on /v/ told me spammed corvettes are actually best. Just make a gigantic fleet of corvettes and they will beat anything.
>>
File: get your shit together xanyr.jpg (530KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
get your shit together xanyr.jpg
530KB, 1920x1080px
Play it like an RTS and always be building up your fleet strength. Even once you hit fleet cap keep going because the AI ignores fleet cap. Play on either a medium or small sized galaxy, stay away from anything too large. The game just doesn't have the longevity for it. And never join a federation. Keep your longevity as long as possble.
>>
>>377778857
The game is very hollow overall. 10/10 soundtrack, 10/10 idea but poor execution. Most of the game you will spend just watching time pass by while you slowly build up a fleet on fastest gamespeed, waiting for your minerals to tick so you can queue up another ship.

Early game is interesting and fun with the exploration and mystery, but mid and late game are horrible snoozefests.

Literally the only thing mid and late game does is boring fleet battles to kill da enemy.
>>
>>377777705
Usually, my early-game strat is to expend to planet cap which is 3 at the beginning then take the Harmony trait of 5 extra planets. That's usually enough to jumpstart the empire (if you have plenty of credit income to afford the colony ships).

Plus, if you want. I'm up for a coop multiplayer game in Stellaris, easier to show the ropes that way.
>>
>>377777705
Please OP understand I am here because I'm in love with you and want to kiss you.
>>
Two science ships unless you have the research from survey tradition.

I can't tell you what you did wrong without knowing more. But don't just grab everything around, find good planets that net you territory. Fill in that territory later.

Specialize your planets. Population and colonies grow your tech and unity costs so be conservative there.

Get allies early on.

Naked corvettes by the hundreds is technically the most effective approach, but for most people kinetic arty/plasma cruisers are the way to go.
>>
>>377779280
wait a few years, they'll keep putting out expansions that will make the mid and late game more complex. play ck2 or eu4 instead.
>>
>>377777705
My preferred start (regardless of race/traits/government) is as follows:

Before you even hit unpause:
>Go to Edicts and activate Encourage Free Throught. Later on this can be a pain in the ass if you have a huge empire, but at the start of the game it has no downsides and extra research is always good.
>Move all planetary production to Minerals (you might go into the red on food production but that's ok, you'll be able to survive on your starting food until a new pop starts producing food).
>Start building a Monument and move 1 pop onto it right away, you want that sweet Unity as early as possible.
>Start your science vessel on exploring your own solar system. Building a second science vessel is optional at this point. but not a bad idea.
>Tell your construction vessel to follow your science vessel (this is optional but saves a little bit of time so you might as well).
>Split your military fleet into 3 separate fleets, set them all to avoid combat, and have them explore the stars near your home system (don't bother going out too far, you'll need them soon enough).
>Best research early on is shit that improves your starting weapon and shields. Anything that improves your energy or minerals production is sweet too (like the solar panel upgrade for your space dock).
>>
>>377780978
>Naked corvettes
What do you mean? Without any weapons on them?
>>
>>377778816
>with almost nothing happening.

you can play at faster speed you know
>>
>>377781353
100% stock unupgraded in every way, exactly as they are at day 1.

They are, mineral for mineral, the most cost effective ship in the game. The only thing that really counters them is arc emitter battleships, and you can kill anyone in multiplayer and basically any AI empire before those show up.
>>
>>377781347

After unpausing:
>Keep an eye on your science vessel. If it discovers any energy or minerals in your home system, use your construction vessel to build a mine there immediately.
>Research matters, but right now don't bother building research stations.
>As soon as you have enough Unity, unlock the economic branch and then get the Private Colonization option. This will massively speed up your effort to colonize new planets and is the reason it's important to get a monument up ASAP. (though note that colonizing early in a competitive multiplayer game is a BAD IDEA, I'll get into why it's bad further on)
>Start building new Corvettes. You'll need at least 5 or 6 to kill the pirates safely (we'll get to this). Hire an admiral to lead them. Don't stop building Corvettes even if you have enough of them, you'll need a shitload later on anyway.
>Once you have a decent starting fleet (including your starting ships of you've recalled them, have your construction vessel build a mining station anywhere outside your home system. This causes the pirate event to start.
>Your fleet should be able to wreck the pirates at this point.
>After killing the initial pirates, repair your fleet if necessary, meet up with any Corvettes you built in the meantime, and go hunt the pirate base. Killing the pirate base will give you some bonus minerals which is sweet at this time.
>If you want to kill an opponent early on, don't colonize anything yourself, wait until they colonize their first planet and then declare war. Bait their fleet into engaging your stardock which this early in the game will 100% shreck them. Then siege and conquer their newly colonized planet. This will give you some nice warscore for destroying their entire fleet AND owning half of their empire (never mind that it's the useless half), and will usually allow you to claim their home system in trade for peace, essentially removing them from the game. This also works in MP to some extent.
>>
>>377781347
>>377781796
Thanks man
>>
>>377782737
Also note that if you're playing MP, or you plan on being really aggressive, you should never stop spamming Corvettes. Don't even bother upgrading them, just keep building as many as possible.

If you're doing a more slower-paced SP game you won't need as many and upgrades/higher tier ships actually become viable. Just make sure you stay close to your fleet cap at all times (or even go over the cap, the penalty isn't that bad anyway and when you're not at war you can keep them docked to save upkeep) and you should be fine for most of the game, at least until you get to the big crisis events which might require you to go way over the cap in order to fight efficiently.
>>
>>377777705
Never use missiles, go the kinetic route and once you have kinetic artillery just spam that shit.

You dont have to build on every single mineral deposit you find, remember each station costs 1 energy to maintain, it can cripple your economy if you are not careful. As a rule of thumb, at the beginning of the game, dont build on minerals deposits that are smaller than 3. Of course once you have a stable source of energy you can start building everywhere.

Dont build outposts near ancient empires, they dont like it.
>>
>>377781796
>>As soon as you have enough Unity, unlock the economic branch and then get the Private Colonization option. This will massively speed up your effort to colonize new planets and is the reason it's important to get a monument up ASAP. (though note that colonizing early in a competitive multiplayer game is a BAD IDEA, I'll get into why it's bad further on)
no
this only really works on hiveminds as they aren't effected at all by diverse ethics, plus if you are running robots early game this is dangerous, and robots are fucking good
discovery used to be the goto immediate tradition tree for every build, nowadays it's expansion for cheap frontier outposts that let you expand quicker, fast pop growth and colony development, and extra core systems limit
>>
>>377783661
I usually go for the first two picks in economy to get the private colonizers and then switch to expansion for the stuff you mentioned.

Being able to get colonizers for energy instead of minerals is a big fucking deal when you need all the minerals you can get early on and the extra ethics diversion isn't a big deal until later, when you'll be able to deal with it easily anyway.

With the (basically) free colony ships you'll be able to out-colonize everyone, and since it doesn't cost minerals you'll have a lot more left over to develop your colonies. This gets even more ridiculous with stuff like Pacifist and/or Efficient Bureaucracy (neither of which are optimal for MP, but they can be fun in SP) so you can have a shitload of colonies up and running extremely early on without paying a single mineral for them.
>>
>>377784243
>With the (basically) free colony ships you'll be able to out-colonize everyone, and since it doesn't cost minerals you'll have a lot more left over to develop your colonies.
again I only see that really working with hive minds (one that take adaptability as good hive minds should) as unless you get the lucky spawn the game could just fuck you and not give you a lot of planets to colonize, which leads to you relying on war or frontier outposts, aka how 90% of my games are.
Also
>pacifist
>fun in SP
god christ no
I did this once as a pacifist xenophobe trying to be a unityhogging nigger and making federations, the way AI deals with things and the way federations work made it one of the most frustrating unfun games I've ever played.
>>
>>377784493
I think you're vastly overestimating the effect of ethics divergence. Sure you might get fucked on how many colonizable planets are near you (though you're always guaranteed to get at least 2 green planets in systems close to your homeworld), but that's a risk in any game and even so, free colonies are still good even if you don't have a ton of them.

Also, Fanatic Pacifist is shit, but regular Pacifist works since you can still use liberation wars and fuck up everyone that might become a threat to you in the name of "liberating" their colonies. Then you vassalize and optionally integrate the liberated colonies yourself while they still love you for liberating them. It's a slower way to play, but it can be an interesting change of pace.
>>
>>377784243
I have just finished doing this with a hive mind, would not recommend to beginners at all.

When i reached mid-game i had more planets than all of my neighbors combined, while that seems like a good thing, it was impossible to get even the cheapest research done, every tech had a +600% modifier. I had to resort to good old fashioned conquest before i was eventually out-teched by everyone.
>>
>>377785305
Build more reserach labs.

More planets means you can create resources more efficiently, which means you have more room for research labs. By the time you hit midgame the sheer volume of research you'll be pushing out will outpace the research penalty for being huge, especially since the best option to run your fleet in the current patch is still basic Corvette spam, so even if you do manage to get behind in research you'll still be more powerful than any AI empire due to superior income and superior fleet cap.
>>
>>377777705
Easiest is to go a real xenoloving bitches and try and befriend everyone. If you get hostiles on your boarders and you can't take them, start again.
>>
>>377785537
The problem is you have a core limit, so the rest of the planets have to go to the sectors and the sector AI is retarded. If you want to build up your planet before giving it to the sector you need a lot of time and that defeats the purpose of "rushing for planets"
>>
>>377785546
This will likely get you fucked in the endgame though, since your "friends" are incapable of doing shit when it comes to endgame crisis events.
>>
>>>377777777
>>377777777
>>
>>377785610
You can get your core limit up to 10-16 with civics/tech/etc. so that's not such a big deal. Later on sectors don't even really matter, you just throw planets into sectors to get a bit of extra resources from them without incurring the core limit penalty.

Same with conquering enemies. Don't even bother developing their plants, just toss them into a sector and forget about them, you'll get an income boost and that's all you need to keep going.
>>
>>377785712
>Being so new you don't get that posts skip gets
>>
>>377785546
Yeah, I always wanted to be a retard herder too
>>
>>377785815
If you dont develop them then you fall into the increase of tech cost problem since the planets in sectors still count toward that. You can indeed increase your core limit but that happens at mid-late game and requires researching technologies.

Dont get me wrong, i won my game, im just saying i wouldnt recommend it as a strategy to beginners since you need to be familiar with a lot of game concepts and can only win in a very specific way (and thats not fun when you still arent aware of the limits of the game)
>>
>>377777705
Play Master of Orion 2, it's a much better game.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.