[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Massive update: SteamOS drops AMD drivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 15

File: 1446950443029.jpg (66KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
1446950443029.jpg
66KB, 970x545px
Valve is instead switching instead to the open source drivers which are frequently faster, and more stable, than AMD's own internal driver efforts.

For anyone who doesn't know Valve has been hiring senior GNU/Linux driver devs to work on the open source drivers for a while now.
The rumor is they're working on a next-generation Steam Machine built around the next-gen Ryzen+Vega SOC hardware that will make Jaguar based SOCs look like toys.
>>
The ones writing the open source AMD drivers are 80% AMD employees.
>>
SteamOS is still a thing?
>>
File: Gaben12312.jpg (282KB, 1450x1480px) Image search: [Google]
Gaben12312.jpg
282KB, 1450x1480px
hes gonna save us all
>>
File: 1434068364055.jpg (20KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1434068364055.jpg
20KB, 600x500px
>>377752330
Who even uses SteamOS?
>>
>>377752330
Who the fuck uses SteamOS?

>open source drivers which are frequently faster, and more stable, than AMD's own internal driver efforts.
>faster
not true at all
>>
I just upgraded to an Nvidia card for my Linux machine. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>377752330
great

the drivers will be functionnal between 5 and 10 years after the steam box, it will be another great shitshow
>>
>>377752534
Its actually lower than that (since Valve have hired some of them away from AMD), but they were mostly hired by AMD in the first place well after they'd started contributing to the drivers for a while.
The main RadV devs are all still outside of AMD, though most of them now seem to be on Valve's payroll.
>>
>>377752330
Steam has an OS?
>>
File: fuck this.gif (725KB, 400x221px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this.gif
725KB, 400x221px
>>377752330
>steamOS
who gives a shit?
>>
>>377752829
>>377752856

>Who the fuck uses SteamOS?
Difficult to separate from GNU/Linux in general, but somewhere between 1.25 and 2 million users depending on what estimate for total Steam user base you believe.
SteamOS systems probably represent a small fraction of that since so far they seem to all be targeted as QA systems for devs.

For anyone who doesn't believe the open drivers are faster, here's an rx580 getting nearly double the frame rate in a modern AAA game with Mesa vs the POS AMD developed driver.

Even since that benchmark was performed there have been some major performance upgrades with the open driver picking up better multi-threading and some important AZDO features.
>>
>>377753357
>Difficult to separate from GNU/Linux in general,
Well that's a pretty large fucking pool so any estimation is useless.
>>
>>377753357
AMDGPU-PRO is mostly for OpenCL and professional workloads, not gaming.
For gaming you should only use it your GPU isn't supported by the open source one.

You wouldn't use gaming drivers on a quadro or vice-versa, would you?
>>
Does that mean what I think it means?

2017 THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP
>>
>>377753420
Actually Steam doesn't even report the number of SteamOS systems in the survey. They aren't even included in the count. So it is a total estimation.
The only thing we really know is that GNU/Linux is undercounted because many users make use of Wine to run Windows games and therefore count as Windows systems.
>>
>>377753503
That only became the party line after it was clear that AMDGPU-PRO was getting its ass handed to it.
The OpenGL code in it is the same code in the Windows 'gaming' driver.
>>
>>377753991
There's a lot of overlap between both developers, clearly the PRO guys don't consider gaming performance a priority since they could easily backport fixes from the open one.

Why they don't is pretty obvious.
>>
File: fury-radv-speed-improvements.png (21KB, 600x241px) Image search: [Google]
fury-radv-speed-improvements.png
21KB, 600x241px
>>377754093
Remember when AMD claimed they would open their Vulkan driver and then never did because management/lawyers wouldn't allow it?
At the rate RadV (originally developed by a pair of guys in their spare time) is going its to make AMD's official Vulkan driver obsolete.
>>
>>377753758
Maybe not 'the year of the Linux desktop for normies', but if you love PC gaming as we know it its probably time to make the switch.
Worst case scenario is that everybody stays on Windows saying "Microsoft will have to change course, it will get better!" and we wind up with a locked down OS where you have to buy your games from the Windows Store.
>>
>>377752829
i tried it before and it is literally just the steam big picture mode on top of debian, just with additional obfuscation to make it harder to actually get to desktop. i don't know why anyone would really use it, it isn't worth using over xubuntu or anything els really
>>
>>377755042
You know all those Linux distros for the Raspberry Pi that are focused on being super easy to set up and use with just a controller?
That's what SteamOS is, as PC hardware capable of playing games gets cheaper and cheaper SteamOS and other stuff like it will make a lot more sense.
>>
>>377754876
https://www.google.com.au/url?q=http://antitrust.slated.org/www.vanwensveen.nl/IhateMS.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj5tbbr1oTUAhVIp5QKHQvvDGQQFggcMAY&sig2=BSGcXKveCL_mzURrNFej9Q&usg=AFQjCNFy4MUOzDZF9wqOShzRFK1dG7S9RA

Just cancel the auto print this site does, but it's a 73 page PDF on why MS is scum and why they won't ever get better. How people can defend them still is absolutely baffling
>>
>>377755194
Or, rather, Google search "why I hate Microsoft paper" and look for the PDF of it. I think the link I provided just downloads the pdf
>>
whats the point of this OS?
do I get +3 fps average in my games?
>>
>>377755376
The point is using Linux to help start removing the dependency on Windows operating systems for PC gaming
>inb4 hating more options to play games on
>>
>>377755376
>whats the point of this OS?
gaben saw what microsoft was planning for windows 10
It didn't quite turn out to be as bad(subscription based and only allowed to install programs through the windows store) but it made him spend money on an alternative where steam could survive
>>
File: mad_max_vulkan_benchmarks.png (89KB, 597x1314px) Image search: [Google]
mad_max_vulkan_benchmarks.png
89KB, 597x1314px
>>377755376
>Free
>No low level spyware shit
>No Windows Store lock
>GNU/Linux base
>Runs any software for Debian
>Better AMD driver than Windows
>Faster Vulkan performance than Windows

The main thing that's been holding it back are D3D11->OpenGL ports which lose a lot of performance. The Linux exclusive Vulkan editions that some games are starting to get though make the future look pretty bright.
>>
>>377755667
>It didn't quite turn out to be as bad(subscription based and only allowed to install programs through the windows store)

Oh that's still coming, look up 'Windows 10 S', Microsoft is just going with a really slow roll out so that most of the rest of the industry won't figure out what's really going on until its too late.
>>
>>377755182
the problem with steamos is that it isn't easier to use than normal linux distributions. you can get big picture mode in ubuntu for example just as easy except be able switch to desktop much easier
>>
>>377755667
>Thinking MS is done implementing their restrictions
Baby steps, anon. If you do it a little at a time, spread out over months, the users will not notice or care. It also has the added benefit of anger subsiding and the news articles being buried under months of vapid tech "news"
>>
>>377752330
wait, so steamos is still a thing?

steam for linux is great and all, but i don't think there are more than two people right now who use steamos
and they're probably paid testers
>>
>>377755923
Is hard to tell, since the usage surveys combine SOS and Linux native installs. But obviously people are if valve is working on open drivers for it
>>
>>377755681
>better amd dirver than windows
maybe you mean nvidia. i use an amd gpu, ati radeon hd 5870. the closed source driver absolutely refuses to install on my system is how hard it is to even fucking install it, expect a black screen if you try with this gpu. the opensource driver struggles to get a solid fps in fucking quake 3 despite using a gpu capable of running crysis, forget running even team fortress 2 at playable fps without making everything look like fucking shit. linux has a lot over windows but amd drivers is the last fucking thing. in fact that is even my problem with linux, amd drivers. i have an nvidia gpu as well and ive tried it once on linux, gtx 260. it was pain free, the closed source drivers installed through gui in linux mint/ubuntu and worked pretty seamlessly with comparable performance to windows. but it still runs shit worse than the ati radeon hd 5870 so no reason to really use it. still it has been a way better experience, maybe newer gpus have better support but anything older than 8 years i wouldn't hold my breath and say amd does better at all
>>
>>377752330

i hope that rumor is true. i'm still upset by how they handled steamos and steam machines in general. i want them to take off because of the positive effect it will have on all of linux.
>>
>>377756154
>But obviously people are if valve is working on open drivers for it
that isn't actually a good indication of pickup as linux drivers for one distribution will work with any other linux distribution
>>
>>377755807
>won't figure out what's really going on until its too late.
>>377755879
>the users will not notice or care.

Yeah, im still on win7 personally. But i think it won't take very many people to notice and mod it out.
Hell they already gut the tracking stuff apparently
>>
>>377756289
Yeah, I had a mobile Ati Xpress 200M and the free drivers were fine on linux, this is from a toshiba shittop, the card is one of the earlier non-AGP based GPUs and it was working flawlessly even in emulators.

I'm gonna have to call PEBCAK
>>
>>377752330
yeah but when are valve making games?
>>
>>377756356
True. As long as the development is happening, I'm fine with it.
>>377756375
I'm on 7 as well, I feel that needing a host of 3rd party software just to give you control over your OS is absolutely stupid. And I'm not even convinced those things actually disable the stuff entirely. W10, not even once
>>
>>377756289
>i use an amd gpu, ati radeon hd 5870.
Not GCN, doesn't count. You haven't gotten any of the driver improvements that have come over the last couple of years. You're basically as abandoned now in terms of driver updates as the guys with 1080s will be in a month or two.

My first-gen GCN card went from being worse than a 650 with the open drivers when I got it, to better than a 1050ti today.
>>
>>377756614
They've already said they're working on them, and that they'll be released when their GNU/Linux user base hits 3% on Steam.
You want the games right? Why don't you switch. We're all waiting on you.
>>
>>377756603
i have no problem with opensource drivers and emulators, those are mostly cpu heavy which seems to work fine outside of gamecube

>>377756756
i think it does count just because windows supports my particular card way fucking better. in my experience i wouldn't say amd does anything better which is all im saying
>>
>>377756987
Right its not AMD, its the open source devs. While its true some of whom are working for AMD, AMD isn't running the show.

Your card is actually old enough that the devs are talking about shifting your hardware over to a legacy driver. Most people gaming, especially on open drivers aren't running legacy hardware.
>>
>>377757141
well i don't mind what they do but im not supported in any sense by neither amd or linux and figured it was worth mentioning. the card is only 8 years old, and apparently within the sweet spot of neither legacy support or modern driver support so the only option i have is either use the opensource drivers which immediately work or gamble with having amd drivers work by downgrading xorg which has not worked even once for me.
>>
>>377757690
You realize that most people replace their GPUs every 2-4 years right? You're more than double the typical life span.
Even if your card worked full speed, it would probably be slower than a RX 560 in modern GNU/Linux games.
>>
>>377758275
you realize most people who replace their gpus every 3 years aren't the kinds of people who use linux?
>>
>>377752551

This. Who gives a shit about Linux? Their initiative flopped.
>>
>>377758660
>More platforms to play games on is a bad thing
Only a Microsoft employee would think so
>>
>>377758760
> Only a Microsoft employee would think so

Don't get me wrong,anon. I'd love for *NIX to happen, but it's been twenty years. It's simply not going to happen.

Think that Mean Girls "fetch" scene, whenever somebody mentions supporting Linux, go to that scene and modify it with "Linux." Rinse repeat.

SF5's port still hasn't happened nearly a goddamn year later, for instance.
>>
>>377758921
It's getting more games by the month though. MS needs to lose its hold on the market, and the easiest way to do that is likely through Linux gaming and development
>>
>>377758921
Well at least we have retropie.
A really slim consolation prize.
>>
>>377752910
not until you are using steamos then you reallyfuckup
>>
>>377758607
If you're going to run 8 year old hardware, you might as well just get a Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>377758921
>Don't get me wrong,anon. I'd love for *NIX to happen, but it's been twenty years. It's simply not going to happen.

Didn't Google just say the install base of their main Linux distro had just passed 2 billion?
Plus unless they decide to switch over to their unproven research project, it seems like their Gentoo based distro is picking up support for their less standard stuff in part thanks to some Wayland based code.
>>
>>377761131
>Didn't Google just say the install base of their main Linux distro had just passed 2 billion?

That doesn't negate my point: Mainstream adoption simply is NEVER going to happen unless you are able to trojan horse it into a product that people want.

People don't WANT "SteamOS"/Linux as it currently is.

People WANT Android/Linux because it's the only alternative to iPhone with reasonable support.

What Valve needs to do is get a basic PC out and "consolize" in regards to developers supporting it for a good 5 years for "high-med" settings or whatever and then upgrading. Similar to how the PS4 Pro and Scorpio is attempting to do.

This window was open to Valve for YEARS, but they blew it and think people will just install a Linux BPM auto-start on their devices because STEAMMMMMMMM when that simply won't bring adopters.
>>
>>377752720
Only thing he's saving is that burger.
>>
>>377760496
raspberry pi can't run crysis, nor can it run unreal tournament 4 or even serious sam hd. my machine isn't the best but im just detailing my experience, saying amd is better for linux users is retarded, nvidia is known for it's linux support even for gpus older than the ati radeon hd 5870 (gtx 260 is OLDER than that), amd is known for having open source drivers that have managed to become less shit in the past 5 years and that is all
>>
>>377758921
>Think that Mean Girls "fetch" scene

Most of /v/ are too underage to even have seen that fucking movie.

You are literally arguing with 15 year olds most of the time here.
>>
>>377762523
just because people haven't seen a chick flick doesn't mean they are underaged
>>
>>377762098
Lots of those older Nvidia cards are on the legacy driver which can't be used with newer kernels or distros.
The grass is always greener, I had tons of problems with my old Nvidia card caused by the proprietary driver being shit at anything other than gaming.

You're not going to run the new UT on 8 year old hardware, and is your card even new enough to be able to use Gallium Nine? You're not going to have a good experience in Crysis without it.
>>
>>377762709
>Mean Girls
>chick flick
>>
>>377762752
i mention it because i am actually able to run the new unreal, albeit on low but i still get 60 fps stable. this card was high end for the time and was designed to run crysis, which it does at 1080p max silky smooth, i don't know what gallium nine is. still my point is that this machine cannot run anything comparable in linux, and struggles to run anything at a solid fps despite being able to do that in windows, and i attribute this to the fact that linux has poor amd driver support. even opengl applications in windows run better than opengl applications in linux. just a warning to users with the same or similar hardware around the same time
>>
>>377753047
More like a Linux Distro, it was one of the things they advertised along with the Steam Machines in Valve's effort to make people jump from Windows.
>>
File: 89979554.jpg (110KB, 706x1000px) Image search: [Google]
89979554.jpg
110KB, 706x1000px
>>377762785
>Cady Heron is a hit with The Plastics, the A-list girl clique at her new school, until she makes the mistake of falling for Aaron Samuels, the ex-boyfriend of alpha Plastic Regina George.
>>
Speaking of steamos, I'm trying to get it off of my steam machine, but I cannot open bios. Does anyone know the buttons to open it?
>>
>>377762864
Valve is just preparing for the day microsoft goes full retard in the next couple of decades.
>>
>>377763585
Have you tried with F8?
>>
File: BBC GPU.png (16KB, 622x581px) Image search: [Google]
BBC GPU.png
16KB, 622x581px
>>377753503
>You wouldn't use gaming drivers on a quadro or vice-versa, would you?

Well.
>>
I never used Linux.
What's the difference? Where does the hard part begin?
>>
>>377764203
For what reason would you not test a Quadro with Quadro drivers?
>>
>>377763304
Gallium Nine is a feature in the modern AMD Linux driver which allows it to natively support D3D9 on Linux allowing it to bypass the half-speed translation layer in Wine. Its a feature which is effectively exclusive since while the AMD open driver is faster than the official AMD driver, the open source Nvidia driver is unusably slow and doesn't even support the most recent hardware.

Like it or not, Linux didn't matter for gaming until recently, and the open soruce drivers were until recently relegated to just being there so you could see what you were doing while you installed the proprietary driver to run OpenCL stuff.
There's very limited resources when it comes to devs who can work on this shit. Putting them to work on 8+ year old hardware that basically nobody is using wouldn't be a good use of their time when GCN still needs work and the new cards are coming soon.
>>
>>377764782
Gallium Nine sounds like the saviour of Gaming on Linux for me, if only there was an alternative for DX10/11 Games or it supported them too..
>>
>steamOS
Nty senpai, steam is shitty in itself I don't know my entire is to be shit too
>>
>>377764485
Installation is easier than Windows.
Set up is easier than Windows.
There's no spyware to disable unlike Windows.
There's no annoying advertising for IE derived shit (in fact IE isn't even available)

The hard part is trying to get enough people to switch so devs will target standards for games instead of just developing against Microsoft's proprietary crap and getting locked in.
>>
>>377755042
Send Valve complaints that their OS is shit then and maybe they'll make it less of a pain.

Microshill monopoly needs to be broken
>>
>>377764906
Nine's issue is that it really only works on the open source drivers for one vendors hardware on one platform.

I think most of the work now is going into implementations of D3D on top of Vulkan.
Vulkan and Gallium which is an open low-level driver infrastructure are actually really similar.

There's actually been talk of porting the Mesa Gallium OpenGL layer to Vulkan as well since it could be as fast or faster than most OpenGL drivers, a lot easier to maintain, and potentially available anywhere there's a Vulkan driver.
>>
>>377765031
But I heard about some stuff that require fucking your own ass while doing a hand stand for them to start working.
>>
>>377765031
>Installation is easier
I agree, in many scenarios anyways. I find disk formatting is easier, and Linux plays better with multiple operating systems. And I regularly forget that you actually need a license key to activate Windows, which is absolutely crazy.
>>
>>377764485
linux isn't really hard to use, just different. you know how every time you reinstall windows, you do specific things over and over again but you never complained because you didn't know anything else? its a lot like that, except now you probably prefer the windows solutions to certain problems as you are familiar with them, and it is easier to google for solutions as more people use the system. the hard part is understanding that they aren't exactly the same. the main difference between windows and linux is package management, as in how you install packages. most software on linux is available in the official repos, for which most distributions of linux have a frontend that make it pretty easy to install, like for example google play on android. unless it isn't available on the repos which makes it a pain in the ass to install. in my experience the most frustrating part is that windows has moderately obscure software that linux has no true alternative to (speedfan, qdir, ishiiruka, etc) as well as software just plain not available with developers going so far to say "fuck you it runs in WINE (linux windows wrapper basically) you don't need a port" like foobar2000 or irfanview. then a few slice of life problems that don't really bother you that much but eventually urk you just enough to bother you, like a lack of thumbnail support in file choosers without a patch that doesn't actually work or community just considering you a retard at all times and not seeming very helpful; hope you like obnoxious emoticons :). a lot of software runs better though like gimp and blender, and overall i think there is more that makes linux easier to use than hard to use, but in the end it is up to preference. i recommend you try it, don't fall for any memes out the gate, use something popular like ubuntu, linux mint, or xubuntu(my recommendation) and later on if interested try something else in a virtual machine, they are almost all free to use.
>>
>>377765275
I'm not personally interested but sounds like an effort that could work for the greater good. I'd still like a way to play DX10/11 Games on Linux without the performance hit of Wine or the hardware lockability of GPU Passthrough (even GPUP has performance hits anyways).
>>
so we should install gentoo now?
>>
File: 1463937419184.png (1MB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
1463937419184.png
1MB, 1300x4704px
>>377764485
The hard part starts when you realize that none of your windows programs will work on Linux. You have to find alternatives and workarounds for everything.

This includes your email program, your browser, your games, any old games you might have need to be put through an emulator of some sort, even then all of your programs (called 'packages') will be versions neglected or years behind the windows versions. You'll sometimes just be given the source code for something and be told 'Okay, have at it!' with zero instruction or forward advice. Asking questions is deemed a sin, and every error Linux gives you will be unique from the last error someone had involving identical problems. You'll spend most of your time staring at a command prompt trying to input arcane and mysterious keywords and phrases which a neckbeard somewhere is extremely proud of himself for coming up with; and you'll get equally arcane output to feed to other programs in order to achieve a system that can be deemed 'stable'. None of this is automatic or done for you.

Welcome to Linux.

If it weren't sincerely better in every way for the future of computing, and wasn't free; then no one would talk about it. It would go the way of Solaris and BSD.
>>
>>377765619
>Email and browser don't work
Fuck off with your bait. Unless they are using Outlook for desktop, email programs will have 0 issues. Same goes for IE/edge which are both Windows only anyways.
>>
>>377765619
what do you actually benefit from spreading lies?
>>
>>377765619
>email program
>implying people don't use a web browser for email
>your browser
>implying most of people don't use either Firefox or Chrome
>>
I want to Switch to Linux but muh old gaems.
>>
>>377765360
Linux devs motto for years has been "It's your problem, not mine." This has only started to change in recent times with people taking interest in Linux, but the damage has been done and the foot-fungus eating neckbeards have already had their way with what is otherwise a decent operating system.

What this has resulted in is tons of packages involving stuff that you would expect to be standard with an operating system being developed with the target audience of other foot-fungus eating neckbeards. You'll get a package, and it won't work. It will require dependency after dependency, and eventually one of those dependencies will break. You go back to see what that dependency is: surprise; it was a shit package made by a foot-fungus eating neckbeard. To get the version you need to install the package you want; you need to go to his personal geocities site and get the "unstable" version of that package. Of course, he won't give binaries because giving binary pre-compiled packages is the work of the devil, and isn't free as in freedom (R). So you'll get source code, usually requiring dependencies of its own. And you'll go to compile it. 98%, 99%, Oops! There's an error! aksjerflkawjerfklawjfelk Error in aslkerjalkwjefgawkoljfg module; solution: fuck you. You'll then spend hours going through endless stackexchange forum posts to find the one other person on Earth that has had this problem and them replicate the solution that he had. That is, if he even posted one. 30% of the time you'll come to a stackexchange forum and the next post after the OP post will be "Never mind, I figured it out :^)" with the thread closed. This will result in you abandoning the search for installing more than some of the software that you want or using one of the millions of alternatives.

Welcome to linux: Fuck you.
>>
>>377766008
Old games work fine on Linux, many emulators for consoles also have Linux versions
>>
>>377765619
For some reason I remember the top part of the picture being about Windows 7.
>>
>>377766040
Holy fuck, anon. Stop shitposting. Package manages resolve dependancies on their own, and unless you're some fringe case the most recent version will work fine.
>>377765360
The anon with the long posts has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>377765802
>>377765838

What lies? Are you saying that every program that you enjoy now on Windows will work perfectly fine in Linux?

Because that's a fucking lie, and that's from someone who has been using linux for 10 years. You need alternatives and backups for everything, and that's mostly because these programs don't function the same way on Linux as they do on Windows. You'll get Windows programs like daemoncc that work great on Windows, but aren't even on Linux because it has a 'built-in' option for doing just that. Thus, you have to learn a bunch of alternative commands. Same goes for mail clients and even torrent programs. Do you think Azureus works the same way on Windows as it does on Linux? Of course not. You better get used to Transmission, then.

It's not a bad thing. It's just different.
>>
>>377752330
>SteamOS
Who cares lol
>>
>>377765619
>any old games you might have need to be put through an emulator of some sort
This is actually true now for all win32 programs on Windows as well.
As with when Microsoft dropped DOS compatibility the stuff developed to run them on Linux will probably come to the rescue of everyone wanting to run old stuff.
At least everyone still running open operating systems, anyone on 10 S will be fucked since emulators aren't allowed in the Windows Store.

>your browser
The only browsers that wouldn't be available are Safari which is just yet another KHTML based browser of which there are a ton on GNU/Linux, and Edge / Internet Explorer which use the worst browser engine ever (Trident) which should have been consigned to the scrap heap years ago.
>>
>>377766227
ft. foot-fungus eating neckbeard

please find me the Linux versions of every program that you use, including steam games. go on, I'll wait. list them all.
>>
>>377766293
>Do you think Azureus works the same way on Windows as it does on Linux? Of course not. You better get used to Transmission, then.

Isn't Azureus java-based? It should be exactly alike across platforms.
Though yeah I haven't used it in years, because you'll want to use Transmission, but you could do that on Windows too.

If you want to switch to Linux, do yourself a favor and switch all your applications over to cross-platform stuff first.
>>
>>377763424
can i play all my steam games and have like normal pc functions on steam os?
>>
>>377766375
>Implying that has anything to do with package versions needing you to hunt for dependancies for hours
Fuck off. The Linux versions of programs I use are equal to the Windows versions. My VoIP works, my browser works, my software development stuff works, my archive manager works all on Linux with no need to substitute.
>Games
While you do have a point there, that is more a fault of MS being faggots than anything. They force schools into contacts, spread FUD about other, not just Linux, operating systems, and generally force computer sellers to sell their shit.
Most of the games I own work on Linux just fine, and the few that don't I either don't bother with or boot onto window 7 to play them.
>>
>>377766375
110 of the 120 games in my Steam library are on Steam for Linux.
Of the games that remain 5 have native versions outside of Steam, 2 have unofficial engines that work as well or better than the official version, and the rest will run just fine in Wine.
>>
File: electrode.jpg (260KB, 449x1197px) Image search: [Google]
electrode.jpg
260KB, 449x1197px
>Linux
>>
>>377766293
I said that Firefox and Chrome have Linux versions, and that most people would use those for email.
>>377766040
t. microshill who has never touched Linux
>>
>>377766959
sounds pretty accurate to me, if you can put up with the troubleshooting slog then it's better than windows in every possible way
>>
>>377766761
>Locking yourself into one platform
>A platform that has done nothing but steal ideas from other people and have tried, left and right, to force standards the industry agrees on out in favor of their own.
Fuck you you false flagger/bait/shill.
>>
>>377766620
All the games that have Linux native versions.
Currently about 1/4 of all the games on Steam have Linux versions.
The available titles skew towards the Linux demographic though so lots of strategy games.

Its not really meant as a desktop system, if you want that just use Ubuntu.
SteamOS is meant for living room set top box type systems, but you can install Kodi and Retroarch easily enough.
>>
>>377752720
He's turning into Michael Moore
>>
>>377766293
>linux
>discouraging questions
it has two generals on /g/ even for general questions, /flt/ and /sqt/. almost all my software i use on both windows and linux are free opensource multiplatform as well and im sure even normies would find the same. even my complaints against foobar2000 and irfanview were just menial as ive found capable alternatives like clementine or viewnior. firefox/chromium are both available easily with chrome even having a port, thunderbird is available, and so on what exactly are you missing? and linux software more outdated than windows? LOL. in my experience many errors spit out in terminal are very clear and far from "arcane" but i agree they can take a while to figure out how to fix. i still think though that is a problem with my own comprehension and not necessarily linux as everything i need to figure the problems out is right there i just didn't understand it. most of those problems with "automation" and ease of use in general aren't problems in *buntu distributions like for example xubuntu which even have autoupdate options (the only thing i can even think of that someone would want "automated") so your whole block to me seems overdramatic and flat out wrong
>>
File: 1365655103337.jpg (153KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1365655103337.jpg
153KB, 1024x768px
>steamos

yeah, why wouldn't anyone want to literally limit the games they can play, and the software they run on their machine, AND be forced to only use steam just to stick it to le microsux XD

fuck you steam drones are hilarious
>>
>>377767824
How much are you paid? More platforms is a good thing for multiple reasons.
>>
>>377767902
>if he doesnt praise valve hes a shill

a better question is, how much steam credit do they pay you to post that?

keep trying shill, 'more competition' doesnt mean literally forcing you to use steam to play the game
>>
>>377768130
I'm supporting from the Linux aspect, I couldn't care less about steam OS. But if the OS invites others to develop for Linux, then it's a necessary step.
>>
>>377768219
there is a reason this has and is in no position to take off: linux is not a desktop operating system

calling me a shill is not an argument either. who is the market for these things? people who like consoles are in no position to replace one with this, and people who actually understand computers arent going to want this either.

this is literally a novelty for people who have an extra machine they dont use anymore or simply an htpc with some shitty graphics card in it
>>
>>377768351
the whole reason valve is adopting steam is to further it's development as a desktop os. name one good reason it couldn't be a great desktop operating system if it had the same software available.
>>
>>377768351
But Linux is a desktop OS
>>
>>377768527
no, the only reason they are doing this is to be 100% certain you will only buy games from them and no one else. do not fucking kid yourself into thinking they are doing it for some greater cause.

>>377768551
for hobbyists, not for any of the people who they are trying to market to
>>
>>377768635
>no, the only reason they are doing this is to be 100% certain you will only buy games from them and no one else. do not fucking kid yourself into thinking they are doing it for some greater cause.
no what? you didn't even answer my question. you said linux wasn't a desktop operating system and im saying if it had the same software that windows had it would be just as viable as a desktop operating system. the whole goal of valve switching to linux is to move their software to linux, despite being locked behind their valve ecosystem
>>
>>377768635
See those goalposts, look at them move. It's a desktop OS, and we have MS to thank for it being viewed in the way you claim
>>
>>377768931
didnt even see you had a question in there.

there isnt one, but again you are fucking delusional if you think valve is trying to accomplish that. and steamos is not doing anything to help, because unlike what /v/ likes to tout, videogames are not the thing holding back linux from being sold on oem machines

seems counter productive to be a linux fanboy and at the same have no problem needing to run a 3rd party drm platform to use the software
>>
>>377769176
>le moving goalposts XD
>blame microsoft!

this isnt /g/, you dont have to try and fit in here. its not microsofts fault that you get fucking screen tearing, or that the simple shit and troubleshooting requires navigating 20 year old text messageboards to figure out what terminal commands to run
>>
>>377769223
you say that isn't their goal and yet it is literally the only reason they are trying to move to linux since microsoft is actively sabotaging steam in favor of windows store. they want a monopoly on linux, they want users to move to linux, more software has been ported to linux since steamos inception than ever before. i don't understand why people think only people who actually give a fuck about only free software want to use linux. ubuntu and linux mint are the most popular linux distribution and they aren't even fsf approved
>>
>>377769792
no, microsoft isnt doing anything. maybe you should do your own research before you try to bring up that dumb windows 10 starter edition that is the store only (which does not apply to anyone related to this), or some slippery slope shit.

valve doesnt care about you, they just want to be sure that you can only play games from THEIR platform, end of fucking story. its amazing people take this fucking guise of linux and suck valves dick without question
>>
>>377768130
You can run software from any source of compatible software on SteamOS.
Debian repository, GoG, Humble, etc.
Its a full fledged OS that's just been made easier to use.

Can you do the same on Windows 10 S?
>>
>>377769986
maybe you should read my post more carefully, as i didn't say valve cared about the consumer, im saying it is in valve's best interest to move to linux and that they are personally responsible for many software titles being ported to linux. your hate for valve is unreasonable and your bias is keeping you from being able to give them credit for actually trying to make linux relevant. also if it wasn't obvious enough, i use steam, i don't give a fuck about fsf. i prefer free software and will actively use them as an alternative but these are videogames not a torrent client
>>
>>377769556
I'm not trying to fit in. Fucking look at the history MS has and tell me they didn't bribe and force hardware/software developers to use their shit.
Linux isn't some archaic OS anymore, it has many up to date forums and wikis.
>>
>>377769986
>they just want to be sure that you can only play games from THEIR platform
No matter how many times you repeat that, it won't be true. SteamOS is an open platform. Literally just Debian with Big Picture Mode.
Valve can never lock it down in the way that Microsoft or Apple can lock down their OSes.
>>
>>377770036
windows 10 s isnt branded nor marketed as being a full fledged os, nor is it in any way marketed as being a replacement for people who want to play games.

its nice you are trying to capitalize on the bandwagon though

>>377770410
thats fine, you seem to be able to actually form a thought. i just cant stand when people mindlessly defend valve which you are not doing.
>>
>>377769556
> its not microsofts fault that you get fucking screen tearing
No its Nvidia's for not making the tear free option on by default in their drivers like it is for the open ones.

>text messageboards to figure out what terminal commands to run
Microsoft literally just added Bash to Windows and touted it as a huge new feature to make things easier for power users.
Which is it? Command lines are archaic scary things, or powerful awesome things that make life easier?
>>
>>377752330
Are there any third-party AMD drivers for Windows?
>>
>>377770810
>windows 10 s isnt branded nor marketed as being a full fledged os
Then why is it being sold on a high end halo device?
Why have Microsoft been promoting their Store like crazy?
Why have they used Xbox games in the Store as a major selling point?
Its clear where this is going.

Microsoft have no option other than to give OEMs a free version of Windows and the only way that they can make money off of that new arrangement to make up for all the OEM licensing revenue they'll lose is to lock users to the Store, or get users to pay them directly to run their own software.

>nor is it in any way marketed as being a replacement for people who want to play games.
Of course not, because Microsoft wants to force PC gamers to downgrade to the Scorpio
>>
>>377753142
I give a shit after Windows 10S
>>
>>377771081
No, its not even clear that the AMD Mesa drivers could be ported to Windows even if AMD wanted to.
Though if the Mesa OpenGL on Vulkan driver project becomes a reality you might be able to bypass the horrible OpenGL portion of AMD's driver.
>>
>>377765619
Literally the only issue I have with Linux distros is that I can't play every game I feel like with them, and many that I can run much more slowly. I like a lot of the stuff Mint and Arch can do compared to Windows, and I like that in general, the systems use vastly less resources than Windows.

I guess another thing I'm not too fond of is I'm just getting into programming and like 90% of tutorials I find use Visual Studio and are written for compiling for Windows, and I'm a little fuzzy on the Linux binary structure, but that's more me being lazy and not caring to study a new platform.
>>
File: 1463156772713.jpg (248KB, 978x972px) Image search: [Google]
1463156772713.jpg
248KB, 978x972px
>>377752330
>working on pointless steam machine ayy emm dee bullshit
>still no source 2 or any games for that matter
>>
>>377771593
>Software development
There are a few Linux dev environments for C# that you could use, mono develop is one of them. You can also use cross platform languages like Java or you can put Windows in a VM if you need to use their stuff for whatever reason. I use Linux as my main OS and I just use Linux compatible development environments.
>>
>>377759334
>It's getting more games by the month though
So is Windows
So is PS4
Android phones are getting more games faster than Linux
>>
File: 1495291921405.png (497KB, 565x564px) Image search: [Google]
1495291921405.png
497KB, 565x564px
>>377765619
this desu.
I read something about the creation of linux a long time ago. The creator did not like the way computers were being used so often. He felt as though we were being used by the computer rather than a powerful tool we should set and forget.
So instead of all the one size fits all junk that not everybody needs, he stripped in down and let people install only what they will use.
This is a perfectly fine mentality for dedicated boxes that do specific tasks, from reticulation controllers to vehicle ICUs. Robust, straightforward and uncomplicated.
That is the ultimate power of linux. The distributions that add various layer and layers of crap on top of that are no better than winblows itself, and die hards hate the very notion of a GUI.

Its a fundamentally different OS, not for the average dumb user who cannot program.
>>
>>377771754
Most of my experience is in Java, but I've been trying to learn C and C++ because I love tinkering with idtech and source engines. I actually really like Java for the fact that it runs on the Java VM so any machine that can run the Java VM can run a Java program. Everyone memes that Java is slow though and that I should switch to another language, so after about 10 years of hearing that, I finally started learning something else.

Actually, Quake 2's engine was rewritten in Java as a project, which was somewhat impressive, but I don't know how well it would compare to a Q2 engine in constant development like it was. They got it really efficient compared to the latest Q2 release though.
>>
>>377771764
>PS4
>Getting more games
Lol okay. Seriously though, the point of that post was to iterate that Linux isn't just some web server OS and that people are interested in it. Of course Windows is getting more games, it's the main PC gaming platform.
>>377771878
But you're wrong, die hards don't hate the gui and if it's capable of being a desktop OS for Grandma it's clearly not that complicated.
>>377771982
Nice. Yeah those languages have great Linux support out of the box so if you were to switch you'd have little issue, besides finding a development environment you like but even that just boils down to preference.
>>
>>377772140
>if it's capable of being a desktop OS for Grandma it's clearly not that complicated.
Neither is windows and if you're trying to compete on bloat vs bloat basis you've already lost.
There is no need for multiple desktop environment operating systems. Linux should have remained server only.
>>
>>377772569
>Competition is bad
>Choice is bad
Okay, now open wide and eat up whatever garbage MS shits out next.
>>
>>377772569
linux was being used as a desktop since the early 90s
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.