[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Max Payne 3 so underrated, an amazing game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: max payne.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
max payne.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
Why is Max Payne 3 so underrated, an amazing game
>>
It sucked.
>>
it is afraid of letting you play it
>>
>>377747112
yea im not a fan of those cutscenes either but the gameplay was sweet, the story wasnt that bad either, a happy ending for a character that has had way too much
>>
>>377746996
>buy mp3 on sale
>installed it
>create your rock star social network account!
>uninstall it.
>>
>>377747268
then fucking pirate it, its a great game that you should play
>>
>>377747046
delet
>>
>>377746996
Max Payne 3 the movie - the game - the movie... wasn't the worst thing I ever played.
I still was pissed because it was a Max Payne game by title alone.
>>
>>377747449
i'd say we needed some change, its made to make you feel out of place, thats why most dialog is left untranslated, so people can feel like max, in a place they dont belong
>>
>>377747640
The problem i had with it was that it felt more like a GTA game with bullet time than a max payne game.
All the film noir charme was gone, and what we got was the usual crime storyline rockstar uses in 90% of their games.
>>
>>377747830
well its rockstar, i too wish it could have been made by remedy but those times are over
>>
I wanted to play it again some time ago, as I remember it has some good shootan moments
>install game
>unskippable cutscenes
>oh shit i forgot
>10 minutes in of cutscenes
>ALT+F4
>uninstall.exe

it's the little things.
>>
>>377748020
im usually 5s into cut scenes and i can press enter and just start, and as i said before its rockstar they wanted this huge dramatic story but some intern used too much filters
>>
Muh noir is the reason
People just don't get it
>>
>>377747268
Didn't have a problem with RSN acc.
Plus why not pirate it, it's still great SP game w/o MP.
>>
>>377746996
It's a great game, the best TPS actually.
>>
>>377748230
it's not skipable on the xbox360, is it on the PC?
fuck, Iam not buying this shit again
>>
>>377750196
yes it is skippable on the pc you can press enter in about 5-10s depending on how fast your rig is,its very cheap in g2a on PC i'll even buy it for you so you can experience this greate game
>>
>>377750415
nah, I'll pass, I have already played it on the 360 and it was OK,

thanks ;-)
>>
Its fun, but the core premise of chaining together absurb kills and just tanking damage as you go is undermined by the lack of enemies on screen in a given encounter. Flow is so important to a shooter like this and it has none.

First week MP was a good laugh though. If you had a basic handle on the controls it was easy to dominate the map.
>>
Eh it's ok

I can't say with a straight face that it's completely bad, because it's entertaining enough.

The story is a complete crash and nonsense blabbering, and it never SHUTS THE FUCK UP. Cutscene after cutscene every little step you take, only to narrate a bunch of diharrea and a plot that was written by dice throws and three different writers. Nothing makes sense, no character is likeable, no one answers any question, and ends up in almost nothing.

But the game itself is ok.
>>
>>377747203
>the story wasnt that bad either

What story
>>
File: FiRx0dR.jpg (180KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FiRx0dR.jpg
180KB, 1920x1080px
>>377746996
Finished it a week ago. Everything looks great, animations and physics are amazing and enviroments are rich, but most of the time I could not even see the enemies shooting at me. Considering that the enemies shoot pretty damn good you are basically forced to use covers like it's no tomorrow. Game also likes to put enemies at a pretty far away distances, something that is simply not right in a Max Payne game.
Most of the game takes place in crumped enviroments and this is when all this amazing physics and animations start getting in the way of fun.
Rockstar's Max is a slob. His dive is shit now because half of the time you propell yourself into some random pile of crap lying around and it takes ages for Max to stand up, it's basically a death sentence if you won't manage to kill everything while diving. It also takes him ages to change the direction of movement because of muh realistic animations. Even if you want to quickly turn 180 degrees you just can't because it will take some time for Max to be ready to shoot. And enemies are deadly as fuck on Hard, they can oneshot you in a matter of frames.
The story is pretty damn bland too. It's gritty. No dream sequences, no breaks between shootouts, nothing. Bosses are utter shit too, especially the grenade launcher guy. I never figured out what the hell triggered his instantkill attack, it was annoying as fuck. Oh, and pic related is the finale of a Max Payne game. A fucking GTA shooting gallery mission. Did I mention that Max can now shoot rockets midair?
I also had some problems with the story and character's motivations but it was so damn bland that I already forgot most of it. It also looks too much like GTA5. The animations are similar, the weapons are similar, it even has this fucking screen flash when you kill someone.
Overall it reminded me more of Kane and Lynch than Max Payne. Hell, Remedy's Alan Wake feels more like Max Payne 3 than the actual Max Payne 3. Not a bad game, just mediocre.
>>
>>377751853
>Alan Wake feels more like Max Payne 3 than the actual Max Payne 3.
Holy shit yes, I just played Alan Wake for the first time and couldn't stop thinking how awesome would have been if the Alan Wake's controls were implemented and fleshed out to make a proper shooter in 3rd person. Comparing both I did liked the responsiveness of Alan Wake much more than MP3.
>>
>>377751853
the slow movements seem to be the engine's fault but if you want to tie it story wise max isnt that young anymore
>>
>>377752083
i loved alan wake too though i wish it could have been more polished, we didnt need shooting action every few seconds, i wish we got to explore more of the scenery and the town and its people, i loved the radio collectibles because they were a piece of sanity inbetween everything, if you havent already you should play american nightmare, much more polished on the shooting a fun DLC if you want more of alan wake
>>
>>377752083
Alan Wake also features good writing and takes time to slow down and give you a chance to appreciate the enviroments between the action parts. Remedy care about their shit. It's a shame that Microsoft fucked them over so much with Quantum Break, hope they will do alright.
>>
>>377750415
>>377750196
>yes it is skippable on the pc
stop spreading this shit. there are some small ones that are skippable but there are more than a couple long cutscenes that you cannot skip. and it is not due to loading times. this has been disproven now for years yet we still have retards spouting this in every thread.
>>
>>377752149
I understand that. I just never wanted Max Payne 3 to be a cover shooter at it's core. And sadly, it is.
>>
>>377752357
as far as i remember alan wake didnt really slow down too much, it was about 10 seconds in between a new enemy popping up from behind a bush waiting to fuck you up, as i said in my post above i wish we could have been allowed to walk around the town more freely and learn more about the people
>>
>>377752491
well i dont know about other people but i always used to hide behing stuff in max payne and max payne 2, sometimes the gameplay just isnt suited for non stop rampage since you still have to reload or run out of ammo or etc etc, and just idle sitting behind something didnt feel right
>>
>>377752621
The games are just too different. MP1 and MP2 are classic shooters with actual levels. MP3 goes cutscene > arena > cutscene > arena most of the time and it's completely linear. The enemy placement is different. The enemy reactions and accuracy is different. Young Max had an invincible dive which never interrupted. Old Max hits a wall or a box or a toilet sink, falls flat and dies.
>>
>>377753176
more realistic i suppose
>>
>>377753176
>Old Max hits a wall or a box or a toilet sink, falls flat and dies.

This is true, actually. MP3 is sold on the Bullet Time premise but actually using dives is a fucking death sentence and soon you realize and learn to just NOT use it, as there's no actual tactical advantage to it either in any scenario.

Kinda dumb.
>>
rerelease it on current gen so i can play deathmatches again
>>
>>377746996
MP3 is a good shooter coupled with a completely pointless story and decent environments.

It's a solid 7/10.
>>
>>377755493
the story's just an excuse to push Max to his limits
yeah it's trash, a straight rip of Man on Fire, but seeing Max explode during and after scenarios is great drama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLHZ-5M0gVw

also HEALTH's score is 10/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXuP0hRJMm0
>>
>>377755769
I didn't say it was a bad story, just a pointless one.

Max is a dude pushed to his limits. Except we already knew that. Only now, IT'S IN BRAZIL!!!! LOOK HOW FUCKED UP CRIME IS IN BRAZIL, GUYS!!!!

Then you kill the bad guys, and it's over. Roll credits for 56 minutes.

It was fun, but there's very little reason to play it for it's story alone.
>>
File: 1247424224359.jpg (52KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
1247424224359.jpg
52KB, 800x532px
>>377746996
>Why is Max Payne 3 so underrated
It made a hand-wavy, unsatisfying conclusion to the Valkyr saga in the graveyard just to shove some half-baked organ harvesting plot in its place. Shootan and boolet tyme were excellent though.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.