[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a flaw Pro-tip: you can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: download.jpg (22KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
22KB, 263x192px
Name a flaw

Pro-tip: you can't
>>
Backtracking
>>
>>377713840
That's the entire point
>>
>>377713840
There is literally nothing wrong with backtracking. I want this shitty 2000s meme to die.
>>
>>377713840
If ou whine about backtracking in Super Metroid you're a pussy. The game isn't exactly large, and usually when you head back from one area you'll have lots of new abilities that will let you get through the caves faster, and uncover some secrets that might've been out of reach before.
>>
>>377713101
oh boy here we go

>the tunnel

this is my favourite game and it's nigh on perfect, but it does have some flaws
>>
>>377713101
The only flaw is that there hasn't been an HD remaster.

Stop hating money, Nintendo. Please? ;_;
>>
>>377713840
Backtracking is one of the things that made Metroid unique; you explore a world, not just run through one
>>
The Xray visor is worthless and you get it too late in the game on a normal playthrough to warrant using it.

The plasma beam pretty much makes normal missiles redundant so hard that you may as well never select them again once you get plasma beam.

>supers can open pink doors because supers have the power of 5 missiles
>5 missiles can not open a super door because video game reasons

That robot in the sand corridor you have to wait on.
>>
>backtracking is a main game mechanic

wowza that was easy
>>
There wasn't enough "pointless rooms with a single power up" in them, like in SOTN where it's strictly a room they just designed to build the world, and give you a small reward for simply exploring.

An example would be that energy tank in the moma turtle room in maridia.

That's the only time you run into moma turtle and her babies as far as I remember, and she's just there playing with/guarding her babies in that room that's hidden away.

There wasn't nearly enough of that kinda shit in Super Metroid.
>>
>we've gotten to 10 replies without someone using the word "floaty"

I'm shocked.
>>
>>377716204
Floaty controls. They're not bad but if you've played metroid on the GBA you can tell the difference.
>>
>>377713101
It's EASY AS FUCK.
>>
>>377713840
Do you complain about reloading in shooters too?
>>
File: Samus cosplay 5.jpg (217KB, 1622x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Samus cosplay 5.jpg
217KB, 1622x1080px
>>377713101
It's too floaty
Yes, it's a valid criticism because it makes wall jumping more difficult
If it had the physics of ZM/Fusion then it'd be perfect
>>
Maridia
>>
>>377713101
It's not on steam
>>
I got bored every time I played it. I wish I could complete it, I liked Fusion and zero mission
>>
Dont get the hype, I was a Genesisbabby and played superior games. Tried it years later on emulator and got super bored. Controls are shit, shooting doesn't feel good, cryptic fucking progression through the map can go fuck itself
>>
>>377713101

honestly the final boss is actually a pretty big flaw of SM in my eyes

its just too easy and then scripted in kind of a cheap way

The other Metroid games have better final bosses for sure
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
33KB, 480x360px
>>377713101
Too easy
>>
>>377717287
A little. Games where you have an ammo pool but don't need to reload is pretty rad.

I complain more about only having 2 weapons at a time, though.
>>
>>377717709
This puzzle is so out of left field. Nothing else in the game acknowledges real life logic and using what you should expect physics to work like, so it's a real stinker.
>>
>>377718161
>>377717709
>didnt watch the demo thing before pressing start
>>
>>377718280
1) Why would I do that
2) What the heck is the point of the puzzle if they spoonfeed you the solution?
>>
>>377718280
>>377718668
checkmate
>>
File: 230px-MissileNorfair6.gif (17KB, 230x200px) Image search: [Google]
230px-MissileNorfair6.gif
17KB, 230x200px
>>377713101
Currently playing it.
It's great and very fun.

The only thing that made me rage was all the attempts to get this missile.
>>
>>377718867
walljump
>>
>tfw will never be able to play super metroid for thee first time again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sn9G-RHtII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1_Aq_flQ8
>tfw can still remember playing this game in darkness and only using the glow of the CRT TV for light
>>
>>377719041
I couldn't do it with wall jump, it seems I had to be using ball morphing but the ceiling is too close that you abruptly go down before becoming a ball. I did it by guiding an enemy crawling all the way to that point and freeze it.
>>
>>377719343
or infinite bomb jump
>>
File: 250px-Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg (27KB, 250x253px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg
27KB, 250x253px
Stabby gameplay > Shooty gameplay
>>
>>377713101
Metroid is consistently the worst Metroidvania because there's no interesting challenge other than memory.
>>
>>377717656
>genesis
>superior games
>>
>>377719446
Yeah maybe, if SotN wasn't such a braindead easy endeavor. Fucking level ups. Why. And why are there a billion different weapons. What does that add? All it does is fuck the balance right to hell and make finding something new never feel quite interesting.
>>
File: MetroidPrime.jpg (202KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MetroidPrime.jpg
202KB, 1920x1080px
>>377713101
it's not in first person
>>
>>377719446
sotn's good, but the world design doesn't come close to that of SM
>>
File: VM.jpg (996KB, 1000x1370px) Image search: [Google]
VM.jpg
996KB, 1000x1370px
>>377719858
*blocks your clunky ass game*
>>
>>377713840
Backtracking is an important part of exploration in a game. You pass by something you can't access now and have to come back later when you have the right ability or item to do so and it makes sense because it makes it feel like an actual world instead of the game just shuffling you from point A to B to C the whole time. The problem is that most games, especially modern ones, backtracking is implemented with the same point A to B to C linear mentality. You go from point A to B to get your new ability and then you have to go straight back to point A to get to point C. What Metroid does is integrate backtracking much more organically. You go from point A to point B to get your new ability but you often aren't railroaded into going right back to point A to get to point C. Many times, you have the ability to continue on to point D to get some other ability or item or if you do start heading back to point A, you often don't just go straight back. On the way, you discover more paths that have opened up thanks to your new ability that lead to other items to obtain. It's peppered with meaningful new content along the way back that you couldn't access before. The other way backtracking is done right in Metroid is that there often isn't just one option available to you to get back to point A. pathways loop around and are interconnected in ways that you're always finding something worth the trip and you have options for how to get there. It gives you an actual sense of exploration as opposed to the feeling of being gated and linear.
>>
>>377713101
You play as a girl. There is no male option
>>
File: mobil wallpaper samus.jpg (352KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
mobil wallpaper samus.jpg
352KB, 600x900px
>>377721289
I just wanted to say that I really agree with everything you posted before the thread dies.

I wish we could get some good modern games with this approach to porgression, it feels like I'll be stuck playing 10-15 year old games for the rest of my life.
>>
I can't play it on the Switch
>>
>>377721289
>backtracking is okay as long as the game keeps throwing me breadcrumbs of fun along the way
Cucked Metroid fan mentality in full swing
>>
>>377715750
>>5 missiles can not open a super door because video game reasons
Think of it this way. A super missile has the force of 5 missiles AT ONCE behind it. Super missile doors are too strong to take a single chip from the force of just one missile so applying that force 5 times is still not going to do anything. They require all of that force applied at the same time top be opened. Theoretically, firing 5 standard missiles at a super missile door at the exact same time would apply the amount of force needed to open it because it's all being applied at once but that's not possible to do in the game so it's a moot point.
>>
Too floaty
>>
>>377718867
space jump or an autistic set of wall jumps into a morphball
>>
>>377718867
>.gif
>>
>>377721579
what are you on about anon? ""metroidvanias"" are plenty popular right now
>>
>>377721779
Yes, it's okay when a game is fun anon. You don't like fun games?
>>
>>377721779
>I don't have an argument so I'm just going to use le funneh cuck meme XD
>>
>>377713101
Can't take off the armor.
>>
>>377723460
Samefag here. Something that legit bothers me about this game is the fact that you can do these secret moves like Shinespark and Crystal Flash, but they're never needed. They're so under-implemented. It's a waste of gameplay potential.
>>
>>377723836
AM2R has the best shinespark puzzles, but they're optional too.
>>
>>377713101
Run button
>>
>>377721289
Agreeing with this point, but I'd like to add to it.

One thing that I don't see happen enough in "modern Metroidvania" games is this sense of progression. The game has a way of giving you gameplay-altering powerups in a way that doesn't negate your forward movement. Combine this with the "tricks" like bomb jumps and wall jumping, and you can come up with organic ways to do things. For example, you can escape Brinstar's red column with a well-placed beam shot and wall jumping.

When it comes to actual backtracking, the new abilities you've gained makes each area expand in ways you didn't know yet. I was immensely pleased when I Power Bombed the wall left of the Morph Ball, and got a "shortcut" to vegetative Brinstar. I honestly feel the weakest sections of the game is near the end when the road becomes more narrow, mostly Lower Brinstar, Maridia, and Tourian.

By this point however, you're a walking tank, so it plays a bit differently to that regard.

If I were to talk about some serious design questions, the two that I have (and that I see most often in these threads) is that the glass tube wasn't alluded to strong enough (they do a good job of showing those crabs come out of the hidden area below the already-broken one, but my first time through I didn't realize the parallel) and the final exit from Lower Brinstar, which has a wall you can walk through that -doesn't show with your X-Ray visor.- It's been too long since I've done that section, so I don't recall an enemy, or a projectile, or anything alluding to it that well. The biggest hint was that the room directly right of it shows an inaccessible one-way path, and your map hints there should be a way to approach from above/right.
>>
>>377722862
Why did you put metroidvania in double hermetic seals?
Name two good modern games that play like metroid.
>>
>>377724820
La Mulana
AM2R
Bunny Must Die
>b-but those are--
>>
>>377718280
That particular demo doesn't appear after significant progress is made in the game, long after the player would stop watching them.
>>
>>377713101
Can't respin while falling, forcing the player to have to fall a potentially long distance before they can spin jump to wall jump up a corridor again if they had to shoot something.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.