[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's time to talk about the greatest antagonist of all time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

It's time to talk about the greatest antagonist of all time
>>
Why do so many games have terrible antagonists?
What's the key to a good antagonist?
>>
Your thread likes to show up around the time the anti-obsidian poster comes around. Hmm.
>>
>>377694783
them having a personality
>>
>>377694687
Who?
>>
>>377694687
Pic unrelated
>>
>>377694783
One that is memorable and personal to the player.
There is nothing worse a story can do than having a faceless ancient evil as the main baddie.

While motivation is a key ingredient I don't think it's necessary. Sometimes a really silly cartoon evil character can be really nice as long as they make his personality fun a give him some charisma.
>>
>>377694783
a motive that make sense
>>
is this the new vergil version?
>>
>>377694783
The best antagonist is not somebody who has to yell or do things.

They only need one of two things, and if they have both, then they are god tier:
1. Presence - his entire design. body language. has to invoke a sinking feeling in you just by looking at him.
2. Motivation that is irrefutable, makes sense, even agreeable.
>>
>>377694687
It felt like a huge asspull
>>
>>377695194
Lol shut up nerd
>>
File: alarak_by_tiodor-d9uoduh.png (631KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
alarak_by_tiodor-d9uoduh.png
631KB, 700x700px
>>377695194
>2. Motivation that is irrefutable, makes sense, even agreeable.
No, shut the fuck up, you're the reason modern villains suck ass. Instead of making a genuinely evil villain who's evil on their own, who actually IS an evil character who does evil things, we know have tons of villains who have to express how 'It's THEM who's been wronged', or how 'If everything was the way I wanted it would be better!'

Pro fucking tip, if the world really would be better under the villain, then they wouldn't be the fucking villain. If they are, you've not only got a bad villain, but a bad hero.
Nothing disgusts me more than these idiots who think villains need to have some deeper emotional meaning.
>>
>>377697145
Your mistake is thinking finding no fault or flaws in the villain's motivation can only be achieved through a sob story hitting you over the head with his emotional baggage. And also an assumption that their aim is rulin the world.

>Nothing disgusts me more than these idiots who think villains need to have some deeper emotional meaning
If a villain is not relatable or so alien that even communication is not possible, what is he except a "final boss" to be killed? That's boring
>>
File: 1492083177625.jpg (76KB, 810x964px) Image search: [Google]
1492083177625.jpg
76KB, 810x964px
>>377697641
You're mistake is replying to me
>>
>>377694783
A connection to the protagonist, doesn't super matter what kind of connection as long as there is one.

A motive that a person would actually have, something you could make an argument for and have some people agree.

Have them be an actual character with a backstory that inspires their current motivations and informs their personality.
>>
>>377694940
that's pure shit reason really
>>
>>377694783
He has to make you mad. Like the fucking ninja from ME3.
>>
>>377694687
If only Solas had been an interesting character to start with.

I think Sera said it best with "muh lost elvish heritage"
>>
>>377698426
He hates the dalish, though. Of course we later learn that's only because he's ancient as fuck and the dalish are tryhard hipsters to him, but still. Also he never outright whines about anything(except freedom, he's basically a huge anarchyfag), just thinks it's a pity.
>>
>>377694687
I dropped this game pretty hard. This guy was the villain? Can someone care to explain?
>>
>>377701324
It the dlc it's revealed that he was the bad guy all along.
>>
>>377701324
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Fen%27Harel

Read "The Betrayal", "Dragon Age: Inquisition " and "Trespasser"
>>
>>377694687
He was also the best romance option in Bioware history
>>
>>377694687
So would Bioshits announce Dragon Age 4 at this years E3?
>>
>>377701324
He's actually Fen'Harel, aka the dread wolf, aka the guy who singlehandedly destroyed the entire elven empire aka the guy who created the veil(yes, it's an artificial construct). He feels bad about it, though, so his new goal is to "undo" the "damage" he did but in the process modern civilization will likely be destroyed.
>>
File: 1445706255190[1].png (231KB, 400x1635px) Image search: [Google]
1445706255190[1].png
231KB, 400x1635px
>>377694687
>>
>>377694783

because videogames are videogames not works of literature or narrative.
>>
>>377701751

it's the videogames equivalent of "Yeah, sorry" of Sasuke.
>>
>>377706079
And what is the disgusting weeaboo antagonist who nobody likes of video games
>>
>>377701751

it's funny that the "elven gods" are simply powerful mages that transcended .

Take out their magic and they are mortals.
>>
>>377706168
Barneyfag?
>>
>>377706178
Considering how powerful they implied REGULAR elves were in Trespasser, it seems to me that their best would be pretty indistinguishable from how we present gods in most of our media. I really hope DA4 doesn't disappoint on that front.
>>
>>377694687
Handsome Nosferatu?
>>
>Fucked up and destroyed his civilization
>Fucked up again and almost destroyed the entire world when he tried to fix his mistake
>Outright told the protagonist that he is going to try to fix his mistake a second time and that he's gonna cause a Giga-Holocaust in the process

Amazing. Absolutely mindboggling.
>>
>>377694783
Because video game writers are shit
Making the audience want the hero to stop him
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.