[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toxikk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

File: toxikk.jpg (48KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
toxikk.jpg
48KB, 460x215px
What went wrong /v/?
>inb4 arena shooters are dead
>>
Nobody fucking cares about your retarded "LOL BOUNCE HOUSE" movement
>>
>>377694451
it was just reskinned ut3 that still looked like ut3 and less interesting weapons released years after ut3 had already died.
>>
>>377694451
>inb4
I have no idea. I play arena fps like quake, reflex arena, ut, toxikk.... even games like nexuiz since 99'. I really hate this situation, everybody's whining about the death of this genre, but WHY YOU DON'T JUST PLAY THEM????
>>
>>377694451

not memeing, but it literally made my eyes hurt after I played for an hour or so
>>
File: oldschool shooters.png (439KB, 731x1229px) Image search: [Google]
oldschool shooters.png
439KB, 731x1229px
>>377694451
Dunno, but this is sad.
>>
>>377694989
Sandraker.
>>
The main community for arena shooters are all old UNIX admins in the 30-50 age range running GNU/Linux.
Any game that doesn't support GNU/Linux isn't going to get much support since people don't tend to run servers for games they can't play.

It just isn't a large market, kids play CoD, and there are free and native options for GNU/Linux like Xonotic, or the new UT. Plus you can still play the old games easily enough.
>>
>>377695186
Yeah, i cry everyday on these charts.
>>
>>377695267
I never thought about Linux users.
>>
>>377694912
It's not much fun in playing multiplayer when game has one full server at the evening.
>>
>>377695215

but I didn't have such issues with TribesA
>>
>>377695186
>Even fewer players than Battleborn
hahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>377695456
>literally made my eyes hurt after I played for an hour or so
He things Toxikk is faster than Tribes
>>
>>377695638

Is that what was implied by anyone here?
I don't think its a question of speed only, something about the ugly ass assets and the speed gives my eyes cancer though.
>>
It's the same situation the RTS genre is in.
People who grew up playing these games have grown up, moved on, and can no longer afford to invest time in them.
The new generations flat out don't care about them.
So yes, arena FPS IS dead, whether you like it or not.
>>
>>377695450
How many servers you need to play in one of them?
>>
>>377695447
Most people making games don't, and they fall into the trap of using Windows-only APIs that lock their game to one platform, or get bought by parent companies in bed with Microsoft who won't let them release on anything else.

If you think about it though it makes sense that a lot of the arena shooter fan base are older Linux users. If you got into the genre in the 90s you were going to want to run servers for them, and seemingly inevitably once you were doing that you were going to switch over fully. If you were mainly playing Quake 3 and UT there was very little reason not to since they were and still are native (despite their not being on Steam for Linux for whatever reason).

I blame UT3 for the collapse of the genre since it went console first and wound up Windows-only due to some kind of back room deal that killed the Linux version at the last minute.
>>
Generic name
Generic cover
Generic marine on cover
No advertising
It's a Quake clone, not an actual new arena shooter
>>
File: 1484719541274.jpg (55KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
1484719541274.jpg
55KB, 640x628px
>>377695186
>TF2 comes out
>10 years later Overwatch comes out
HOLY SHIT YOU'RE ADDING WORTHLESS GAMES TO AN ALREADY SATURATED MARKET FUCKING STOP RUINING GAMING

>Toxikk
>Tribes: Ascend
>Reflex
>Warsow
>Nezuiz
>Diabolik
>Unreal Tournament 2004, 3, 4
>Quake, 2, 3, 4, Live, Champions
These cuckass overwatch devs should have made an arena shooter instead of some bullshit nobody wants, we need more of those
>>
>>377695692
Toxikk=UT
>Is that what was implied by anyone here?
>and the speed gives my eyes cancer though.
Come on....focus.
>>
>>377695847

Try and communicate like a human being and not like a meming fuck and then maybe I'll understand your sorry ass.
>>
>>377694564
>bounce house
what?
>>
>>377695823
just FYI - Nexuiz lost the rights to that name due to some bullshit, its Xonotic now.
http://www.xonotic.org/
>>
Everyone was waiting for a superior game like Quake Champions
>>
>>377695789
Go and play first, cause you clearly haven't. It's not a quake clone, it's a ut clone.
>>
>>377694451
>>377695186
>no multi million dollar marketing campaign telling plebs they need to play it
that's really all it takes these days, it doesn't matter if the game is good
>>
>>377695874
Oh sorry that you say things and after 1 second you say the opposite one.
>>
>>377696016
>It's not a quake clone, it's a ut clone.

I think i'll go play UT then.
>>
>>377696084
This.
If some megacorp like Blizz released any one of these games they'd be selling like hotcakes and they'd have a massive playerbase.
Look at Overwatch, it's complete trashfire yet so many people are playing it because it has the Blizz brand behind it.
>>
>>377696084
>if the game is good or not
>>
>>377696120

You know a sentence works only if you read all of it - when I say
>ugly ass assets and the speed
It actually means that, you can quote only half of it but it doesn't mean what you quoted out of context, because its a whole sentence.
Again, learn to communicate.
>>
>>377696143
Good for you. Let me know in which one.
>>
>>377696173

It would also help if instead of a dozen barebones attempts that do nothing new, provide nothing new and don't even attempt to sell themselves beyond "WOOW YOU WILL FEEL LIKE YOU ARE PLAYING QUAKE 20 YEARS AGO AGAIN" they would make a game worth looking at for someone who isn't looking for nostalgia and "barebones simplicity" only.

All these games are looking in the past, not giving a shit about the future.
>>
>>377696173
it's not just the blizzard brand although that is part of it
it's all social conditioning and marketing trickery and everyone falls for it every time
>>
>>377696219
UT4, the free and best arena shooter right now

Has nailedthe UT99 and a bit more controls and has the best graphics and balance in a long time. Maybe after i'll go play UT2004 because that thing is dope as fuck.

Not Toxikk though. Eww.
>>
>>377696368

>new UT
>nailed UT99

Like hell it did, feels nothing like it.
>>
Also i believe it's very intimidating for new players to play these games. That's why games are easier nowdays.
>>
I have this dream game that it's an arena shooter and you move fairly fast, but the weapons are stylized and big as UT ones but have to be manually reloaded and operated and have limited ammo too.

Like Reciever meets UT. So loading and knowing how to operate them and use them or throw them or just go for a knife stab against the enemy is something that can happen in a frantic fight for survival.
>>
>>377695739
At least one which is not full, not empty/filled with bots/tryhards/cheaters, and has ping less than 100. Also without some shitty gamemodes/mutators.

Good luck with finding some. I tried.
>>
>>377696415
Too much Toxick smells have left you dumb
>>
>>377696368
Yeah i really like the new one and i hope they release it someday.
>>
>>377696552

More like a decade of UT99 experience has left me unable to eat up stupid shit like "the new UT is totally like 99" from the internet, like you can.
>>
>>377695186
>tfw Red Eclipse is my favorite arena shooter

Be glad you guys have at least 30 people playing at all times
>>
>>377696601
stop being so XtoxiKkKk
>>
>>377694451
They tried to use the oldschool formula again instead of doing something new because they listened to the purists that constantly ask for the same games but don't play any of them.

Since innovation is impossible in a genre that is already perfect, the only thing that can work is hybrid games that stays Arena Shooters but with something else on top. Only Id Software seem to have understood that.
>>
>>377695186
Well Quake live is a lot more a-live ehehhehe than I thought.
>>
File: 1381085247509.jpg (17KB, 316x232px) Image search: [Google]
1381085247509.jpg
17KB, 316x232px
tfw Quake Champions is dogshit that is banking on the hero shooter fad. They should have learned a lesson from Unreal Championship 2 that trying to mix up an arena shooter just makes it a mess that no audience wants.

Besides having loadouts Nu-Doom was so much better. Even Lawbreakers, the most shameless game possibly ever is better. In about 30 years when the new Unreal comes out of alpha and into beta it's going to revive the genre
>>
>>377696513
Look, you can find server anytime in Quake live and UT4. But yeah in games like reflex arena, toxikk, tribes ascend you must wait some time unfortunately.
>>
>>377696443
Not sure about that, but they're definitely toned down to be playable with traditional dual stick gamepads and are designed as console-first titles.
>>
>>377696318
you completely miss the point
>>377696856
epic should have stuck with championship formula for consoles
>>
>>377696856
Lawbreakers is very mediocre, Quake Champions is on a entirely different level thanks to it's core gameplay.
>>
>>377696734
You have a point ok and yeah most of the purists are fags. I'm also a purist fag, but i still play these games. So i have every right to whine about arena shooter.
>>
literally every competitive genre has been murdered by casuals.. that's just the way this fucking industry works i guess.
>>
>>377694451
Boring as shit. No intelligence involved like fighting games.

Tactics > Speed
>>
>>377697103
Quake Champions reminds me how Tribes Ascend changed from the old ones. In tribes ascend they added classes with a special ability, loadouts and speed limit.
>>
>>377697193
you do realize that you're tactically limited in arena fps and fighting games by your executional capacity, right...? that's why arm chair "pros" are fucking retarded. half the game is knowing what you personally can and can't do, then taking risks when you know you can't win playing safe
>>
>>377697193
>This guy can't be tactical AND fast

hahahahahahahahahaha

pleb.
>>
>>377696870
Well, I dont like quake gameplay so much, and UT4 is way beyond my toster in sys req. I usually try UT99/2k4 and Red Eclipse. Maybe also some Half-Life 1-2 DM. I dont have patience to wait solo on an empty server so usually i end up playing scout in some hightower 24/7 public.
>>
>>377697193
DUELS....you know....
>>
>>377697103
Lawbreakers is pretty good now I think.
The original alpha/beta with only 4 classes felt mediocre but with all the improvements and 8 classes it's pretty fun.
It's at least a better Overwatch with some UT flair. Though /v/ tends to hate OW so I guess that doesn't make the game seem too flattering when describing it.

If anything LB reminds me of a much superior Cellfactor: Psychokinetic Wars... a game that nobody seems to remember.
>>
>>377697193
>No intelligence involved in fighting games

Is this nigga serious
>>
>>377697268
I 'm actually really really enjoying Quake Champions.
Then again it's my first Quake game, and I will prolly drop it to go back to Unreal when that fucking finally releases.
>>
>>377698229
I didn't say it's bad, i was play till yesterday when beta ended. It's good, less skillful than quake live but fun enough. Also cause i'm a Quake whore.
>>
>>377698229
>>377696856
>Unreal
>coming out of alpha
Never. Development is quagmired because of veterans' differing opinions on how the game should be, Epic only allotting a skeleton crew to handle it, and Epic being more interested in the free to play framework with cosmetics/maps/modes as microtransactions rather than the game itself.
>>
File: Monkey No.gif (866KB, 352x224px) Image search: [Google]
Monkey No.gif
866KB, 352x224px
>>377694451
>pyfw The only popular arena shooter left is Halo and Bungie/343 fucked it w new mechanics from Reach/4/5.
>>
Free to get 0 matches
Pay to get 1 match
>>
>>377694451
Arena shooters are dead.
>>
>>377695920
I think hes talking about jumping castle movement
>>
>>377699832
>jumping castle
you mean a springy shed?
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.