[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The grimmest, most depressing and harrowing games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: darkfantasy53.jpg (76KB, 538x417px) Image search: [Google]
darkfantasy53.jpg
76KB, 538x417px
Sometimes we're in the mood for these. Total buzz killers, games that beat you down with themes of hopelessness and futility. What are some of the games that do this the best?

>For me, it's probably Pathologic. The world is dying and everything is messed in a kafkaesque way, and all your actions are futile. It's such an oppressive setting.

>Majora's Mask is a game that explores similar themes but its overall atmosphere is more weird and off kilter but still childlike, so it's not as oppressive to me.

>Spec Ops The Line gets to a point where it feels like this, but the droves of generic military shooting it takes to get there kinda ruin the vibe for me.

>This War of Mine tries really hard, but I think it tries a bit too hard. On the indie game front, Papers Please and Lisa do a better job.

Thoughts?
>>
>>377686379

Minecraft.
>>
>>377686379
>why are you greentexting wrong

>why are you reddit spacing green text

>what subreddit guided you here?

>how the fuck is papers please depressing?
>>
>>377686379
Boku no Pico
>>
>>377686379
Lisa
>>
Limbo
Dark Souls III
Drakengard
>>
File: soma.jpg (169KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
soma.jpg
169KB, 600x450px
>>
Breath of the wild
>>
>>377686379

Yume Nikki can be interpreted this way.

The world in Demon's Souls is in such a bad way that the king decided to ally himself with the soul-devouring demon in order to just get it over with and stop prolonging the suffering. Even if you put said demon to sleep and defeat the king, the world is still doomed as of the once many beings holding the fabric of reality together, only one still survives.

Mother 3 kind of goes there. The antagonist sets the end of the world in motion and things have come too far to abort it. All you can do is end the world on your own terms and hope the next one is better.

Silent Hill 2 is definitely this. The canon ending seems to be In Water, after all.
>>
>>377686472
>how the fuck is papers please depressing?
Why are you greentexting wrong
>>
>>377686551
>Dark Souls III
That's just depressing because it's mediocre cashgrab.
>>
>>377686379
lyfe is the only reel answer.
>>
>>377686379
>spec ops being a generic shooter is bad
That's absolutely the point, it was marketed as that for a reason too.
The gameplay is supposed to clash with it's overall themes because its commentating on the modern shooter as a whole
>>
>>377686379
The dead space franchise does this pretty well. Things seem to go from bad to worse no matter how many times Isaac fixes something
>>
darkest dungeon
>>
>>377686379
That's not how you greentext you stupid fuck
>>
>>377686379
Not vidya but watch Texhnolyze. Starts bad, gets worse, horrible things happen, ends badly for everyone.
>>
File: tumblr_mm17lgalcd1s41ui4o4_1280.jpg (42KB, 630x280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mm17lgalcd1s41ui4o4_1280.jpg
42KB, 630x280px
Downfall and Cat Lady are pretty depressing games.
>>
>>377686721
I liked how it depicted the end of Age of Fire. While the game have many elements that I didn't liked I think From really nailed the atmosphere.
>>
>>377686379
that second Crystal Chronicles game was a bummer
>>
NTRPG2
>>
>>377686379
Max Payne 1 and 2, SWTOR Imperial Agent storyline and the whole Knights of the Fallen Empire campaign, Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain, Shadow of the Colossus
>>
>>377688121
uhhhh max payne 1 and 2 thats gud gud.
>>
>>377686970
Adding to that, humanity is extinct. All that happened in the games couldn't stop the brethren moons. Humanity has ended and the last light of the universe dims. Dead Space, indeed.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.