[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gaben on PS3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: gabenq.jpg (156KB, 732x287px) Image search: [Google]
gabenq.jpg
156KB, 732x287px
In 2007, Gabe Newell of Valve said "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think it's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted". He continued "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it'"

I hate him but he was right

https://web.archive.org/web/20080511082019/http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=155309
>>
His cock is only slight longer than average but its girth is amazing
>>
>>377680312
Then the PS3 went on to have a decent library and Valve didn't make shit other than a handful of FPS titles and a MOBA sequel.
>>
I don't understand why the PS3 would use an 8-core CPU (basically unheard of at the time outside xeon/server chips)
>>
>>377682326
Makes it difficult for devs to port games to other platforms.
>>
>>377681115
Decent by 7th gen standards and if you're a kusoge consumer. Terrible by regular standards.
>>
How much did Sony pay him to endure this?

https://youtu.be/gMQVh7BG7kg
>>
But then why is the PS3 still alive?
>>
>>377681115
Valve doesn't have to make any games. They make plenty of money without it. Now and then they'll do something simple like Dota, CSGO, or TF2 where they can milk the market. CSGO is just a platform they use to build hype with pro teams to sell stickers, skins, and just attract more kids to become more market cattle.
>>
>>377683290
This is how long it's taken for devs to get their games working on the piece of shit
>>
>>377683290
Despite the difficulty, Sony still has a great first-party library. That's all that matters.

Sony developed the PS3 with the idea all previous consoles did - building their own hardware. Microsoft on the other hand had taken the easier way with off-the-shelf components. This was cheaper and easier on developers too, so suddenly that's what they wanted.

I get it, back in the old days, games were written in machine code to take advantage of the hardware. Those days are gone, now it's all engines and higher-level code and huge teams of developers.
>>
>>377683470
Then why did nobody buy a PS3 for first parties?
>>
>>377681115
You mean the PS3 went on to bomb so hard that Ken Kutaragi had to be moved off of his big fat retard baby in ultimate shame, when the PS3 was poised to be a guaranteed hit if they didn't cram it full of shit literally no one asked for and then charged nearly double what any sane person was interested in spending on a console.

It took YEARS for it to actually get any games worth playing, and in that time the system did not sell worth a damn.
>>
>>377683652
They didn't? I did.

>>377683661
I remember people hating the price, then the Wii came out later that week and it became the fad item. Once the Wii fad died off the PS3 sales improved but the first two years were shit, yeah. I got mine day one and remember playing a lot of PS2 games until the library caught up.

Same for the PS4, I played a few games but continued to play PS3 games until the library caught up. Seems that's how it goes for most consoles.
>>
>>377683802
>I remember people hating the price
Yes it was absolutely the price
Trash like this wasn't factored in at all in the decision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8POaO-9TY
>>
>>377684000
I have that game and have never played it.

I liked Untold Legends (launch title) but things were pretty slim for awhile.
>>
File: 1475436756117.jpg (224KB, 609x477px) Image search: [Google]
1475436756117.jpg
224KB, 609x477px
>>377683661
To be fair Ken Kutaragi was going off the rails at that point, don't forget he originally was going to have two cell processors to act as both the CPU and GPU of the PS3 and if it weren't for his subordinates going above his head (which is taboo as fuck to do in Japan) and practically had to beg on their hands and knees get a dedicated GPU in the PS3 he probably would have gotten his way
>>
>>377684000
It's strange how disastrous that conference was. I feel like the big 3 have been getting better as of late, though. Nintendo's was pretty shit last year, but I feel this year might be great.
>>
>>377684000
I'm salty that the Genji sequel was rushed out the door and ended up being crap, since I had a lot of time for the original.
>>
>>377680312
Well, at the end of the day, the PS3 outsold its primary competitors, so that fat fuck is actually wrong
>>
>>377684183
the 2006 e3 sony conference was great compared to the hardware and games they offered
>>
>>377680312
but the PS3 has games that Valve could only dream of ever making, because they're talentless jewish hacks.
>>
>>377684183
I'd argue it was 2015's for Nintendo that was pretty shit, because all things considered, last year was very successful for them even if it was just mainly Zelda.
>>
>>377684330

After massive investments of time and money, sure.

Xbox was still the true winner if you weigh in how much money Sony had to pay into exclusives just to get their sales up.
>>
File: 1494936525128.png (933KB, 628x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494936525128.png
933KB, 628x1080px
>Worst selling Sony home console
>Ends up selling 90 million
>Best selling home console from Sega,Atari,and Microsoft is below that
>Only one Nintendo has is the shitty wii which is only 100 million

Really makes my Materia activate.
>>
>>377684435
>If your enemies have less sales, they win
>>
>>377683802
People started buying it en masse after it was hacked. It's the same with 3DS.
>>
>>377684495

The only thing that matters is the bottom line and Xbox 360 raked in money hand over fist with their paid online BS and early year domination.
>>
>>377684663
The Wii? I know my friend hacked his, and it was easy and fairly quick into the life. But it was the console people bought just for Wii Sports and to do Wii Bowling and those people never bought any other games for it. The whole motion controls fad. It was like Fidget Spinners.
>>
>>377684445

http://i.imgur.com/4Grb84C.jpg

http://archive.loveisover.me/foolz/search/username/ruggarell/
>>
>>377684495
>we're neck deep in the red, but we have more PS3 sales than X360 so we win
>>
>>377684779
>Neck deep in the red
in divisions not related to video games
>>
File: bathing_in_skittles.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bathing_in_skittles.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
I always believed in the ps3.
Back in 06, I was like 12. Too young to really know about console wars. I mean, all we did was play games and borrow each other's games. If anything we visit each other's house to play or we trade consoles for a few weeks.
Sony reps actually came to my middle school to show off the ps3 prototype. It wasn't what you would imagine. Just looked like a flat circular disc of circuitry. Looked like a shiny mirror with circuit traces imbedded in there. They didn't even talk about games n shit either, I think it was about technology.
Still, ever since that day I wanted a ps3. Took me a good while to save up money for one but I never regretted it. First console I bought with my own money and I loved it even with people shit talking it.
>tfw got shat on in school and online for having a ps3
>tfw the tables have turned mid life cycle and when ps4 launched

NOW WHO'S LAUGHING
>>
>>377684738
I meant the PS3. Normalfags bought the Wii for normalfags party games.
>>
>>377680312
>In 2007, Gabe Newell of Valve said "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think it's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted

I agree with him, Gaben knows what hes talking about, this is the man that brought us Half life 3, left 4 dead 3, and some of the greatest games of all time, full of glorious story and no shitty DLC.

Yeah thats it..
>>
Ps3 probably got most of its sales when the price was down to 200 bucks and it had been on the market forever.
>>
>>377684812
that's right now.
but we're talking back when the pS3 was released.
sony invested billions of dollars into it and flushed years of PS1 and PS2 money down the drain.
billions coming from kaz's mouth itself
>>
>>377684881
PS3 didn't get hacked for years and had a huge install base by that time.
>>
Wasn't the PS3 supposed to have no dedicated graphics card?

Originally THE CELL was going to handle everything.
>>
>>377683802
>Same for the PS4, I played a few games but continued to play PS3 games until the library caught up. Seems that's how it goes for most consoles.

Nah thats just Sony, they continue to support their old consoles to the point that their new console struggles.

Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo who drop all support for their old consoles the moment the new one is in development.
>>
>>377684968
PS3 had a slow and miserable start, yes. But it made the recovery in the end. Does it really matter how much a horse stumbles out the gate if it wins the Kentucky Derby in the end?
>>
>>377683290
PS3 might as well have not existed pre-2009. But after then it was actually a great console and had the best library out of all 3 systems that gen.

Towards the end of the generation Xbox really lost its way with Kinect and its AAA franchises lost thier original devs. PS3 kept getting great exclusives and even became the lead dev platform for a few companies who previously hurriedly ported stuff to it last minute.

Sony shouldn't have rushed to match the 360, ps2 was doing fine. If they waited until 2008, they could have won the hardware race even moreso and had a lineup of great games. No one who bought a launch PS3 got thier moneys worth.
>>
>>377684964
You mean 400 for the 80gb. That's when a lot more people started buying ps3s. That and when Sony was shitting out exclusives on a monthly basis for a year or two straight. All of which got no less than 9's.

It's a shame Microsoft focused more on the kinect at the time. I really wanted to see more exclusives from them.
>>
>>377680312
I wouldn't put much stock into anything Gabe Newell says. If we observe the latest actions he took and justifications he attempted to give them, it seems like he has lost the fucking touch with reality.
>>
>>377680312
Convoluted hardware that's hard to develop for stops trash devs from developing trash for your console

Meanwhile Steam is full of shovelware that doesn't even work
>>
>>377685047
they didn't recover from the humongous loss they incurred until 2 years into the PS4's life thanks to PSN. that's not winning.
>>
Woah
>>
>>377685074
>>377685134

Story seems to match up.
Confirmed, Xbox dug its own grave while PS rose up.
>>
>>377685157
You ever tried going for the olympics? Mental gymnastics like that will get you gold medals.
>>
>>377685185
They're doing as well as they are on this gen because of the efforts from last gen.
>>
File: The sad existence of ruggarell.jpg (128KB, 1090x485px) Image search: [Google]
The sad existence of ruggarell.jpg
128KB, 1090x485px
>>377685190
>>
Who's this fatass nigger and why does he talk bullshit???
>>
Remember when the U.S military bought like 12,000 PS3s and put linux on them and hooked them up in parallel and made a supercomputer from them?
>>
>>377685264
well yes they learned their lesson.
still didn't win that gen.
>>
>>377685428
No shit. The Wii outclassed everyone
>>
>>377685398
It wasn't just them, there were a lot of PS3's sold for that purpose to universities and such. I don't know what's happened to them all now.

I ran Folding@Home constantly on my launch model, which probably caused the graphic chip to come unseated from the motherboard and a costly repair. System is still going now though! I need to open it up and clean it out, the fan gets loud quickly.
>>
>>377681115
at least they didnt lose billions
>>
>>377685463
i meant in relation to the 360. it didn't set microsoft back years to recoup from their gaming division.
it's the x1 that did.
>>
>>377685074
>Towards the end of the generation Xbox really lost its way with Kinect and its AAA franchises lost thier original devs
I thought they lost because of the very high failure rate (RROD)?
>>
>>377680312
its funny cause than he revealed Portal 2 at a sony conference, sucked their dick, said the PS3 was amazing, added move support, and gave ALL PS3 copies steam codes to give to their lads, destroying the trade price for Portal 2
>>
>>377685646
Also remember Steam sign in dialog box used to have a button for PlayStation 3 users.
>>
File: oppenheimerpunch.jpg (57KB, 508x264px) Image search: [Google]
oppenheimerpunch.jpg
57KB, 508x264px
>>377685074
highly advanced statement
>>
>>377684812
No that's the Playstation division. How the fuck do you think they're going to make back a $300 loss on every unit with ~$7 royalty fees?
>>
>>377685708
That's still there. It's no as obvious but I signed into Steam with my GF's copy of Portal 2 last week. Weird.
>>
>>377684725
https://www.techpowerup.com/50729/microsofts-xbox-division-profitable-for-the-first-time-posts-usd-524m-profit
>>
He just hates it because it has a 3 in the title.
>>
xbox had a huge headstart but squandered it all on grey and brown shooters and silly kinect shit
ps3 has a lot of issues early but they dug themselves out and finally got some good games

this is why ps4 won this gen and xbone isn't in the last place because nintendo shat the bed with WiiU and it's zero third party support and is about to lead the same path with Switch
>>
>>377681115
It has a bunch of decent multiplats, and it was a fine 70 dollar persona 5/AC/AC machine, but there's really very little else to play on it.
Wouldn't have paid a cent more for it though.
Certainly not FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE U.S. DOLLARS.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.