[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Pokemon get so weird after GSC? Does anyone know what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (321KB, 1120x728px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
321KB, 1120x728px
Why did Pokemon get so weird after GSC?

Does anyone know what I mean? The entire tone of the series changed.
>>
GSC was supposed to be the end of the series.
Like there was never supposed to be a region after Kanto, which is why it was so odd that Hoenn included data for a ton of pokemon completely inaccessible when RS first came out
>>
>>377673176
The anime.
>>
>>377673176
Technology on the Game Boy was far more limited, so older Pokémon had far simpler and inferior designs than what we have now.
>>
>>377673176
The main guy left and masuda came. Sun and moon finally feels like pokemon again.
>>
>>377674083
you're a retard
>>377673278
this is also wrong
The real reason is because the series changed directors.
Satoshi Tajiri was the original director and he was replaced by Junishi Masuda starting with RS. He did every game from then up through X and Y. Sun and Moon were directed by Shigeru Ohmori.
>>
File: 1428794329116.png (454KB, 414x499px) Image search: [Google]
1428794329116.png
454KB, 414x499px
>>377673176
>Slugma's eyes are on its "stalks" instead of them looking like flaming eyebrows
>Xatus smaller head and longer beak
>Feraligatr in general
>those colors

why were these sprites so fucking good
>>
>>377674462
Even as somebody who hates nostalgiafaggotry, I really fucking like GSC's spritework, it's legimately well done in an interesting style that holds up exceptionally well, and the sprites animate better then a lot of the gen 3, 4, and 5 ones.
>>
>tfw a kid whose first owned game was Crystal
>tfw getting gen 1 games later and playing using them all on Pokemon Stadium with transfer packs and trading with myself

Will there ever be anything as cool as getting a Pokemon that isn't otherwise obtainable in your game than trading?
>>
>>377674571
You don't need to be a nostalgiafag to appreciate old games.
>>
>>377674691
Of course not, but a lot of people do just suck old title's dicks and look the other way on their obvious flaws/limitations just due to their age.

Even if you don't give GSC's spritework slack due to the hardware they were running on, they look fucking fantastic.
>>
>a game franchise that's lasted for 20 years and counting has changed its designs multiple times across multiple generations
It happens, and it ain't just Pokemon, either.
>>
>>377674462
Because a lot of later generations had other problems they had to deal with (more Pokemon, more colors, more details needed, more animations, and eventually models).
GSC was great because the smaller number of Pokemon meant that the designers could put much more effort into each character, and the limited color pallet made it so that designers needed to make sure that the sprites were capable of looking good with only a few colors.
>>
the rounded edges fucked the designs for me, even old favorites started to look silly and cartoony. i love GSC because of the saturation in the sprites and how quaint the johto region is compared to the others. 2nd gen is definitely the pinnacle of the pokemon games for me, because i personally prefer a more cut and dry rpg than the type of adventure??-ish game sun and moon were and i think each game since GSC has deviated further from the formula
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.