[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need to play Blood Omen 1 first or I can just play Soul

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: 1495419406787.jpg (116KB, 900x890px) Image search: [Google]
1495419406787.jpg
116KB, 900x890px
Do I need to play Blood Omen 1 first or I can just play Soul Reaver 1 and 2 without knowing the lore?
LoK thread I guess
>>
Just play SR1, SR2, and Defiance.
>>
No, but it's worth playing.
>>
You don't need to play Blood Omen at all.

All the lore you need is perfectly explained in the opening cinematic.
>>
File: BO LOK Kain.jpg (165KB, 420x850px) Image search: [Google]
BO LOK Kain.jpg
165KB, 420x850px
All you need to know

Nobleman Kain gets killed by brigands, is resurrected by a necromancer called Mortanius who belongs to a group that protect and maintain 9 pillars that are tied to the health of the land. Some time before, someone murdered Ariel, one of the members of the group, the Circle of Nine, and her lover Nupraptor went mad, sending psychic shockwaves to all the other members, corrupting them. Kain manages to kill the brigands, but then hears the voice of the necromancer, who tells him that they aren't the real ones responsible, that there is a dark plot afoot, and you then basically go on a quest to kill all the members of the Cirle, as Kain needs to bring a piece of them and place it next to the respective Pillar to restore it.

But when he's killed them all, he learns that, in order to restore the last pillar, he'll need to kill himself. Unbeknownst to him, he had been marked as a guardian of the pillar, and had similarly been affected by Nupraptor's psychic corruption. But when it came to it, he couldn't kill himself, and then meets the architect of the whole plot, a being from another dimension that was being kept out by the Pillars themselves. The whole murder plot was to weaken the Pillars, which acted as the seal, so he could escape from his prison.

Kain then erects a throne on the pillar he was supposed to guard and then 1500 years alter, Soul Reaver 1 takes place.
>>
>>377669892
How hard is this to find on Dreamcast? I just got one and I'm looking for good games to get for it.
>>
File: raziel.jpg (447KB, 1108x1344px) Image search: [Google]
raziel.jpg
447KB, 1108x1344px
>>377669892
SR 1, 2 and Defiance tell a coherent story. Blood Omen 2 is also pretty fun and explains a few plot points, but isn't 100% necessary.
LOK is the shit, btw. Part of me wishes it would get resurrected, but part of me is happy for it to stay in the glorious past.
>>
>>377669892
There's not really that much related to Blood Omen happening in Soul Reaver. It's all ancient history, and all you need to know gets explained in the sequels when they becomes relevant.
>>
>>377670592
It's pretty cheap on eBay. Unless you want a new or sealed copy or something, but even then
>>
File: FUCK YOU.jpg (2MB, 3000x2050px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK YOU.jpg
2MB, 3000x2050px
>>377670759
>Part of me wishes it would get resurrected
FUCK YOU, VAMPIRE!
>>
File: arm.png (89KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
arm.png
89KB, 320x240px
I can understand why it would be hard for someone go get into it, even when it was released, but there's something about it that I love, about the aesthetic and art direction and the music, the awesome boss fights, everything.
>>
I KNOW YOU, RAZIEL
>>
I dont understand something, who's the main character? Kain or the guy that looks like nightcrawler from xmen
>>
You don't necessarily have to play BO1 but it does help you understand the history of Nosgoth, experience more of Nosgoth and learn more about Kain because the whole series is about him. BO2 is a new timeline and doesn't technically take place right after BO1.
>>
>>377671447
Both of them. It's not exactly a clear cut 'this is the hero and these are the villains' storyline. There's a lot of shit you need to uncover throughout the games in order to understand what the fuck is going on because the whole story spans centuries with plenty of recurring characters, each with their own motives and secrets.
>>
>>377671447
It's really about Kain, but Soul Reaver 1 and 2 are about Raziel's story, a sort of detour but it still really explores Kain anyways, just from a different perspective. Defiance is unique because you play as both, with the story jumping from one to the other, closing Raziel's story and showing us how Kain was redeeming himself as a character.
>>
>>377670759
>a new LoK written by Rhianna Pratchett
Please, God no.
>>
>>377671383
VAE VICTUS

>I've replayed SR1 so many times I know the entire script and could recite it by memory
>>
>>377671905
My nigga. Same goes for SR2 and Defiance as well. BO2 is kinda meh, BO1 had pretty terrible audio at the time so it's much less memorable, dialogue-wise.
>>
File: BO1-Kain's_Mausoleum_Tomb.png (126KB, 254x256px) Image search: [Google]
BO1-Kain's_Mausoleum_Tomb.png
126KB, 254x256px
I awoke to the pain of a new existence, in a dank womb of darkness and decay
>>
The F2P first person shooter was lore-breaking but I actually liked it a lot
>>
File: lor.png (65KB, 1127x221px) Image search: [Google]
lor.png
65KB, 1127x221px
>>
>>377672136
Oh man, Defiance

>No. That voice - not possible. I know that voice... but he fell. The Abyss, he ended there.
>I did not "fall" into the Abyss.
>Oooh, it remembers THAT, does it?
>>
>>377672657
>tfw can read anything in their voices
Absolutely nothing else can ever top the voice acting and writing in this game.
>>
File: 1465355517703.jpg (41KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1465355517703.jpg
41KB, 633x758px
>tfw you realize that you will never play a true sequel to Defiance
>>
File: 1495118882592.jpg (66KB, 528x384px) Image search: [Google]
1495118882592.jpg
66KB, 528x384px
>>377672657
>"Because I cannot escape my destiny."
I heard it in their voices. Can't believe they're over 70 years old.
>>
>>377672961
Why do you want a sequel? It closed the story well. It came 'full circle' finally. There's no need to add more to it.
>>
>>377672961
Just when the coin had finally landed on its edge. We'll probably never get that resolution.
>>
>>377672961
It had a pretty open ending so I'm satisfied enough that the series concludes with a new timeline being borne where Kain has a chance to unfuck Nosgoth. I don't need another game to tell me how that goes down, there's just too much of a risk that it'll suck fucking balls considering none of the original writers are with CD anymore.

On that note, any of you LoK fans played Too Human on the 360 back in the day? Made by the fine folks at Silicon Knight, that game and it does have a bit of flair to it like LoK does, only much less so. Damned shame it never took off and died with the first game.
>>
>>377673105
Not exactly. Elder God's still alive, Kain is finally free of his corruption, the Pillars still need to be restored somehow, there's still shit to do
>>
>>377673105
How the story closed well? There's a lot of plots left in the final of Defiance.
>>
Bumping for Ariel's tits' sake
>>
File: SR2B-Ariel-ariel_3.jpg (21KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
SR2B-Ariel-ariel_3.jpg
21KB, 512x448px
>>377673874
Would you sacrifice yourself for her?
>>
>>377673989
I wouldn't mind a series that continued on from the death ending of BO1
>>
>>377673989
>Wanting Nupraptor's used goods
>Wanting psychic AIDS
>>
>>377674249
What would the conflict be then?
>>
>>377674760
It would be a new character and a new story but with established lore as a backdrop. It would sort of be like what Sakaguchi did with Final Fantasy 1 and 9.

Pillars are restored with Kain's sacrifice, but the Hylden remain, as does the Elder God, and you could introduce other Ancient Vampires who the Elder God is trying to eradicate, and still have the Sarafan too, there's a lot of material to work with, really.
>>
>>377675261
But if Kain sacrificed himself, how would the Hylden break through the barrier that the Pillars represent? It'd have to a new conflict, I think. Maybe have you play as one of the last remaining vamps being hunted by the Sarafan? It would give them an excuse to incorporate stealth gameplay into the game.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.