[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metroid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 14

File: MP.png (2MB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
MP.png
2MB, 1131x1600px
Why do people say this game has better world design than 2 and 3 when all the levels are generic and don't really fit together on Tallon IV? You have lava word, ice world, desert-ish world, etc. While Agon Wastes and Torvus Bog feel more natural when you move between them.
>>
Because they're more interesting to actually explore and having a hub instead of interconnected areas is for the birds
>>
File: 1466976573451.jpg (890KB, 1000x840px) Image search: [Google]
1466976573451.jpg
890KB, 1000x840px
2 is the best Prime game.
>>
>>377667193
I feel you, but there's more effort put into the level design and logic behind the world in Metroid Prime than most games 15 years later.
>>
>>377667193
>replace elevators with portals

boom, problem solved. you are welcome nintendo from 34 years ago.
>>
>>377667573
I don't understand how that would fix the problem.
>>
Metroid Prime is a beautiful game. Every room just feels unique and the attention to detail is amazing. It's like every crack in the wall was artfully crafted and unique.

It's also just Super Metroid in first person. No gimmicks, no "We gotta have a TWEEEST" gameplay mechanics unlike the other games.. Fusion, Echoes, ect. Metroid Prime is just about the exploring and it's great.

I hate that it's taking Nintendo so fucking long to realize that gameplay gimmicks are no fun and just feel weird. Look at the zeldas... After ALttP, it was nothing but gimmicks. You have boat! You have a cap that makes you smaller! You can turn into paper! You can turn into a wolf!

Then Breath of the Wild comes out with it's open world emphasis on exploration, making it the best Zelda to come out for a long time.

They need to do the same for the next Metroid game.

BUTTT I feel like Metroid is the kind of game that would excel with better hardware. It's the kind of game where the environment create it's desolate, alien world atmosphere. With better graphics they could realllyyy push that shit TO THE MAXXXX
>>
>>377668015
>having brain problems

i'm sure you'll be okay though.
>>
>>377668092
>Metroid Prime is a beautiful game. Every room just feels unique and the attention to detail is amazing. It's like every crack in the wall was artfully crafted and unique.

Cmon now, It's well designed but the levels are Half Life 1 quality.
>>
File: $ (1).jpg (59KB, 638x446px) Image search: [Google]
$ (1).jpg
59KB, 638x446px
>>377668221
You need to go back and reply both.
>>
>>377668157
I'm talking about in the context of the game. Having a random portal out of nowhere at end of each level teleport you to a completely different part of the world is retarded and less coherent than using a elevator. Besides elevators are a series staple and should have no reason to be removed.
>>
>>377668532
nope, that looks like a proper level from 2000
>>
File: 54mLrF2.jpg (173KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
54mLrF2.jpg
173KB, 1920x1080px
>>377668824
For some reason it's super hard to find screenshots of prime 1.

Also, you're fucking retarded. Half life looks like shit compared to prime.
>>
>>377667452
This
>>
Prime Trilogy for Switch WHEN?
>>
File: Half-Life-1-Free-Download.jpg (135KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life-1-Free-Download.jpg
135KB, 1280x960px
>>377668824
>>
>>377668970
I want it so much, I'd play the hell out of Prime in bed. I hope eventually there will be a Switch hack that allows shit like that.
>>
>>377668221
The Prime games have some of the best level design in 3D gaming though
>>
>>377669004
>>377668532
As someone who adores both games, Prime was the better looking of the two by a long shot and still holds up exceptionally well 15 years later while Half Life looks very of-its-time. Not bad, but very dated, whereas Prime's far superior art direction really makes it quite timeless.
>>
>>377668532
What's going on with the beam cannon there? I thought this was Hunters on first glance
>>
I feel like Prime would've been a lot better if the shooting weren't as mindless and long as it is. In the 2D games it's fast and it combines with the platforming, but you can't really do that with a 3D game, much less a first person game. I'd enjoy the game much more if it were just platforming and puzzles.

I can't imagine how good a bigger game with better technology would be. Just compare the change between WW and BotW and apply that to Metroid.
>>
>>377669408
I feel like you could retool the gameplay in Doom 2016 and make a killer 3D Metroid with combat that feels like the 2D games. The movement is fast, the platforming is quick and responsive, etc.
>>
>>377669746
I'm a bit conflicted on that. Part of me liked that Prime was so clunky as it felt more like you were controlling a power suit, which shouldn't have all that movility, so it helped the atmosphere. But at the same time, that was never a problem in the 2D games, so maybe it would be for the better.
>>
>>377669402
Looks like a pre-release screenshot. The HUD in general looks different.
>>
>>377669908
Well like you said, Samus was never a slow moving tank so, yeah. I think that was just a byproduct of Retro trying to make an FPS-adventure-platforming game without all the modern implementations that we now have in games (ledge grabbing, general parkour mechanics, a n universally-accepted control layout, etc.)
>>
>>377667452
Excellent taste, anon.
>>
>>377667193
calling phendrana drifts or chozo ruins generic is about as retarded as oversimplifying torvus bog as simply swamp world or sanctuary fortress as techno world

the incredible art direction as well as level and sound design makes the first prime's areas far more distinctive and memorable than simple stock levels

plus it has stuff like phazon mines, sunken frigate and impact crater that cant be called generic at all
>>
>>377670204
I actually really want a Metroid game with parkour mechanics like in Titanfall but I'm not sure how well it could be achieved. I feel like if you fuck up there you fuck up REALLY badly.
>>
>>377668532
That's a screenshot of the early beta you fucktard.
>>
>>377670283
Better yet, parkour mechanics of dying light.
>>
>>377670283
>I actually really want a Metroid game with parkour mechanics like in Titanfall but I'm not sure how well it could be achieved.
I've been really torn lately about whether I want an fps with a super-agile Samus. It sounds awesome, but that feeling of being a walking tank from the Prime games is also amazing.
>>
>>377670591
We already have the Prime games and they've all held up remarkably well. There is absolutely room for a far more agile FPS, if there's ever going to be another Metroid again, that is.
>>
File: Prime vs Other M snow textures.jpg (717KB, 1919x2159px) Image search: [Google]
Prime vs Other M snow textures.jpg
717KB, 1919x2159px
>>
File: 1401676371316.png (192KB, 361x369px) Image search: [Google]
1401676371316.png
192KB, 361x369px
>>377670978
Other M was such a heinous game.
>>
File: West vs East.png (915KB, 880x827px) Image search: [Google]
West vs East.png
915KB, 880x827px
>>377671062
I really love watching it get destroyed
>>
>>377670271
When moving between the levels in 2 and 3 it feels coherent. The world fits together and makes sense since they all share the same aesthetic. Moving from Magmoor to Phendrana via a short elevator down doesn't feel as natural. The level design in those levels are fantastic but if I said to someone that in Metroid Prime you go through a lava level, Ice level, a grassy level, I wouldn't be off base.
>>
>>377670204

Samus wasn't super mobile in the original metroid
>>
>>377671170
I think I agree to a point because at least Prime 2 goes out of its way to explain how Aether use to have different environments
Like how Torvus use to be a forest that got flooded as an after effect by the separation of Aether's planetary energy
And how Agon used to be...a lake or some shit
>>
File: 1432527813983.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1432527813983.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>377670283
FPS or third person Action both, by this point, have ample examples to draw from to work well. The main thing is making it Metroidy. The fact that we have Metroid in both a great 2D platforming genre and a FPS genre is kind of amazing to me, so I'm some what enamored with the idea of going for broke and making a great third person game that still keeps in tune with the rest of the series.

You might not want to get too crazy and go full DmC with unloackable combat moves, but there's probably a good way to work Samus's more traditional movement upgrades into a seamless parkour system. Double jumping, shine sparking, etc. Starts off with basic wall running, then it opens up more as the suit gets upgraded. The real key would have to be level design. You'd need multiple pathways through an area and even some rooms that also don't get too weird and allow for the whole backtracking and exploration themes. It's worth mentioning the main examples of third person parkour either went more with a linear obstacle course than free exploration or stupidly huge open world, neither of which really fit, so you're going to need to go back to the drawing board there. There's probably a way to design the overall world in such a way that you're cycling back through different areas naturally.

You'd need to work out a good combat system anyway if you're changing up the perspective again. Samus has almost exclusively been a ranged combatant with the Arm Canon being the focus of her combat skills. Shaking it up a bit with physical close range options could be neat if possibly making the tone of the game a little different. I don't really know how people feel about combos, Metroid's sort of had a simple nature to its combat rhythm.

It would take some real work, good games do anyway, but it'd be interesting to see attempted especially if speed and flowing movement are a focus. Might be a bit different than usual Metroid speed running, but not too fundamentally different I think.
>>
>>377667452
And 3 is shit, fuck you Tanabe
>>
>>377673834
3 was the best Halo game I have ever played
>>
>>377667452
I used to hate this game and the ammo system, but after having played the first one extensively and revisiting the second one, I think that 2 is the best one. 3 feels really weird, it might've been the controls for me, but I just don't really associate the third game with the other two.
>>
>>377667452
the best parts of 2 are the best in the trilogy but the dark world unfortunately drags the whole thing down
>>
>>377672918
I don't really want combat moves, I just think a more mobile Samus in a 3d Metroid game has potential.
>>
File: 1448679588735.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1448679588735.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
>>377667193
I like 2 better but I like walking around the environments in 1 more
>Rainy forrest, Lava cave, Ice ruins, all with fucking great music
vs
>Desert and swamp with okay music
Phazon mines sucks though but Sanctuary Fortress is the best location in the entire series
>>
>>377676007
>Phazon mines sucks
no it fucking doesnt, why do people keep saying this
>>
>>377667193
>don't really fit together on Tallon IV? You have lava word, ice world, desert-ish world, etc.
you have lava world, ice world, and desert world on planet earth
>>
>>377667193
It feels like a complete planet in my opinion. The elevators really add to the feeling as corny as this sounds. You go down closer to the planet's core for the Magmoor section, and up in the mountains/glaciers in Phendrana Drifts.
>>
>>377676087
most tedious backtracking for chozo symbol things I guess
>>
Fuck you all, Prime 3 is great.
>>
>>377669123
Chozo ruins is the best fucking area of all time! Sanctuary Fortress is good too.
>>
>>377676007
Torvus Bog has amazing music.
>>
>>377668532
Man, Prime is beautiful as fuck.
>That lighting
>The attention to detail of the structures and the sand
>Crazy draw distance for 2002's standards
Prime is, dare I say it, the best game ever made.
>>
>>377667193
I wouldn't say it's about the realism of how it's connect, but more the fact that it is a full metroidvania world that's fun to explore.
3 was the worst at doing this, but honestly, I like all the 3 prime games.
>>
>>377668092
open world exploration isn't good in and of itself.
you're only noticing the quality writing that often goes into it as a natural consequence of being made by people daring enough to try "open world".
windwaker, for example, had that depth even with the boat/wind gimmick. ratchet and clank is 100% "gimmick"-based stuff, but it's still a timeless series.
depth just isn't something guaranteed by genre. the people making the game either have the vision or don't.
>>
>>377667193

>and don't really fit together
This is plain false. There are tons of passageways between the different areas that open up organically as you explore, with gradation in the environments as you approach new areas.
In Prime 2 everything is separated. In Prime 3, everything is even more separated.
>>
>>377676087

>That first trek to get power bombs without any save points
>Beam troopers
>Having to go through each room at least three times to get all the artifacts
>>
>>377676007
>swamp with okay music
Torvus Bog sounds fucking great.
>>
>>377684059

Meh. Only Hydrodynano is noteworthy IMO. But that section of the game sucked so it balances out.
>>
File: just get out.jpg (27KB, 433x225px) Image search: [Google]
just get out.jpg
27KB, 433x225px
>>377668092
>doesn't like TP
>doesn't like MC
>reddit spacing
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.