[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which genre of video games is most hardest to make?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: tormap09.jpg (130KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
tormap09.jpg
130KB, 800x534px
I would say it's either turn-based strategy, or RPGs, that's why they mostly suck nowadays, in the time of "AWESOME gameplay" and pretty graphics.
>>
I think the obivous answer here is WoW-style MMOs. They require a massive investment of capital to create the game AND advertise it, and if it doesn't catch on in the first week and build a playerbase that will stay with you till the end of time then it will fail painfully and you will go bankrupt.

TBS and RPGs are both lower cost and lower risk.
>>
>>377669257
Yeah, true. But what I meant is which genre has the most hardest mechanics to make.
About MMOs, they work perfectly, they are the epitome of both video game industry and addiction, I really admire Blizzard for what they have done over the ages, all of their games work like a drug, they are why television will die out and video games will have monopoly over modern entertainment.
This is even more pronounced in Asia, their gaming communities are crazy, in China, people send their kids to military camp rehabs.
>>
>>377669929
People send kids to military camps everywhere, though its definitely less popular than it used to be in the West.

If you strictly want to talk about "the hardest game to create from a development standpoint" and not include anything outside of creating it itself.. yeah I think you're pretty right about how RPGs require a lot of effort.

It's not that RPGs are particularly difficult to develop from a coding point of view. Most popular RPGs do nothing particularly innovative or clever with mechanics. I don't think anyones gotten a peek at the source code for Witcher or TES or anything huge, but given how the games work, they are pretty cookie cutter simple.

But the story is pretty difficult to keep consistent. Look at Fallout 4 where the new developers just weren't up to the task and Bethesda lost face over the accidental story changes because the writers couldn't keep track.

Though I think one of genres that are even harder than RPGs to develop are games with heavy reliance on procedural generation. This is really easy to do, and even easier to do wrong. There are very few Rogues or Crypt of the Necrodancers or Dwarf Fortresses and there are a fucking lot of generic games that just throw procedurally generated crap at you that will never be interesting content.
>>
>>377670654
Crypt of the Necrodancer is both shitty and generic.
>>
mmos
srpg
fighting games
rts
heavy actions games/cuhrayzee games
>>
File: masseffect.jpg (128KB, 1665x1003px) Image search: [Google]
masseffect.jpg
128KB, 1665x1003px
>>377670654
Problem with today's RPGs is that writers are lazy and making a quest that has ten different endings would be too expensive, that's why we get whole bunch of Skyrims, Witchers and other crap. AAA teams won't make a dialogue choice that only a small amount of people will choose, so there's only "Yes", "No", and "Tell me more". Everything went in a wrong direction with Mass Effect, I would say, with it's design choices built around "making a cinematic action game with RPG elements". But then again you have games like Pillars of Eternity, or Age of Decadence that have too much flavour text, because they got the notion that that's what people want.
>>
>>377666432
>turn-based
I always thought it just started because of limitations.
>>
>>377671287
No way. Turn-based combat is a viable choice, it works well when you have a game like Civilization, or even Heroes.
I personally prefer it over real time, or god awful real time with pause.
>>
File: Lfaewh3.gif (674KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
Lfaewh3.gif
674KB, 680x680px
>>377671061
>>
>>377671280
I think the cost problem is cost x value. If you make 10 different endings and the majority of players only play the game once or twice, and usually take the most generic path, then you've sunk a lot of development into creating content people won't experience.

Critically, it will make your game get good reviews. But it won't make gamers happier. Except on the deep end (/v/, reviewers, etc).
>>
>>377670654
>unironically putting Necrodancer in the same sentence as Rogue and DF
Kill yourself ASAP.
>>
File: 1448422647618.gif (1MB, 406x449px) Image search: [Google]
1448422647618.gif
1MB, 406x449px
>>377671661
No thanks then I couldn't play great procedurally generated games like Crypt of the NecroDancer TM available on Mac PC and Linux
>>
>>377671483
>god awful real time with pause.
Why does everyone hate RTwP?
>>
>>377671623
This is exactly why RPGs will either die out, or evolve into something totally unrecognizable.
I loathe this thought, but it WILL happen, especially now, when people like "RPG elements" in their video games.
Good RPGs are the thing of the past, when they were made for small amount of people, they were a niche market.
>>
>>377672130
I think RPGs will always have a place in gaming but the RPGs as we know it will continue to transition into tighter stories with less outcomes for the reason we agree on. The development cost of making massive RPGs of the past with modern comforts like graphics increase further than sales can recoup. But you can always rely on low budget indie developers to feed the niche of graphics second, gameplay first games. They won't be as shiny as the tighter and modern RPGs but they'll still satisfy people that want Secret of Mana kind of RPGs.
>>
>>377672065
Because it's not real time, and it's not turn-based, either. There are games with GOOD RTwP, but I really can't remember any of them.
I mean, sure, there is Icewind Dale, but the awful AI makes the things unbearable. Darklands had a nice combat, although not many people agree with me on this.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.