[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so, so right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (228KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
228KB, 1600x900px
What went so, so right?
>>
>>377631025

The sequel is better - deal with it nerds.
>>
Absolutely nothing.
It's boring trash.
>>
Music and atmosphere
>>
>>377631391
(You)
>>
>>377631025

It was RE4, but actually good.
>>
>>377632680
>RE4
>not good

get a load of this guy
>>
>>377631025
Nothing.
>>
>>377631391
>>377634151
>daily /v/ contrarian hour
>>
>>377631025
sound design
>>
>twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder what you are

I feel like this game is what Doom 3 tried to be.
>>
Necromorphs. They aren't actually your basic ayy lmaos, so that (maybe) translates to a breath of fresh air. The fact that you aren't using military weapons and that makes it better. You're using MINING TOOLS.. Also, the way your armor progressed was pure kino.
>>
>>377631025
An original project where the developers had alot of freedom to create what they wanted.
Just look at what happened to Dead Space 3 after EA's interference in an attempt to sell more copies but it actually sold worse than the first game.
Dead Space 2 improved in some areas but lacked compared to the first in others, mainly atmosphere.
>>
>>377631025
The sound effect design.
It's probably the best of all video games.

Because of that the atmosphere is very good too, but it gets diluted by Isaac quite literally stomping every monster into the ground.
>>
I always feel like there's a divide between people who prefer games like Amnesia and AI vs Dead Space and RE4. People who like the latter call the former walking sims, and people who liked the other two call the latter not scary or loaded with cheap scares.

Is it ever possible to be fully decked out and feel powerful and still remain "scary"?
>>
>>377631025
I'll tell you what didn't go right.

>>
>>377636239
>Is it ever possible to be fully decked out and feel powerful and still remain "scary"?
Dead Space 1 was definitely the closest to achieving this out of those 4 games.
>>
>>377636430
>4 games
There are only 2 Deadspace games
>>
>>377636539
>reading comprehension
>>
how the fuck has there not been another game like RE4 and DS? after RE4 sold like water you'd expect that style of gameplay would've taken
>>
>>377636648
;)
>>
File: 1464474264589.jpg (101KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464474264589.jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
So when will Visceral release Dead Space 3 guys? I loved the first two.
>>
>>377631025
Its Resident Evil 4 in spaaaaaaaaace
>>
File: The_Evil_Within_boxart[1].jpg (21KB, 295x336px) Image search: [Google]
The_Evil_Within_boxart[1].jpg
21KB, 295x336px
>>377636753
There was, but no one liked it for some reason.
>>
File: 1457522696865.jpg (333KB, 700x1577px) Image search: [Google]
1457522696865.jpg
333KB, 700x1577px
>>377631025

It got great core gameplay mechanics. You're slow and hit hard, fighting against fast and fragile monsters. Shooting feels good, it has impact and rewards you for aiming.
It's kinda the same thing with RE4. An enemy is coming towards you and you have to consider where and when to shoot while thinking about your surroundings. You change your methods depending on your weapons and personal preference. It's not complex or fast-paced, but it's solid, interesting and fun.
Of course, the atmosphere is great too.

DS3 went against that and showed that they didn't know what made DS1+2 good. Now you started dodge-rolling around on the place, having shoot-outs with monsters and crafting your own weapons.
>>
>>377637063
>and crafting your own weapons.
Come on, of all the things bad about DS3, that's not one of them.
>>
>>377637005
I loved it. Got it on release. Now I'm working towards the plat because the second game is getting revealed at E3.
>>
>>377636239
>Is it ever possible to be fully decked out and feel powerful and still remain "scary"?

I don't think so.
You can feel tense in hectic battles or get jump-scared if something pops up, but it's hard to feel vulnerable when you're shooting monsters to pieces.
Dead Space has great atmosphere and design, but it's not scary.
>>
How the fuck do people not get sick of this game halfway through?

It basically blows its load in the first couple hours. Then it becomes an exercise in tedium as you realize that the game is going to be the same predictable shit for the next 10 hours.
>>
>>377637063
>DS3 went against that and showed that they didn't know what made DS1+2 good
They actually knew but the suits told them the game needs to have a lot of action and the psychosis Isaac plot should be abandoned. It's actually sad to read the story about it. Reminds me of Bioshock Infinite.
>>
>>377636179
Stomping isnt even that good in this game.
>>
>>377637270
>story
>interesting setting
>fun gameplay
>it keeps introducing new enemies
>atmospheric
Do you want more? Also the game is like, 7 hours long.
>>
>>377637159
But it is anon. You can create a multipurpose weapon that is just too OP to even consider switching to anything else. You don't need to aim for limbs and can just blast enemies to the ground with your secondary dogshit. The feeling of I can manage with these mining tools is gone.

Horror combat doesn't work if you can play it like Uncharted.
>>
>>377637159
Meh, I didn't like it - even if we ignore the "gather-crafting-ingredients" aspect.
I like finding a new weapon and learning how to use it with all the strength and weaknesses that follows.
In DS3 I crafted a gun (can't remember the components - sniper-something?) that allowed me to two-shot 80% of the creatures I met. That's not fun.
I want some thought put into the weapons, I want to consider what to use this time through the game, how many I'm gonna run around with this time, etc. The weapons in DS3 seemed like an afterthought, something they put in because "people like crafting!"
>>
>>377631025
>Liking 2 but not 3
How? 3 is basically a coop 2. I enjoyed all games but only the first game can in any way be considered a survival horror game.
>>
>>377637392
Yeah, by "they" I meant EA. Then again, they were clearly only interested in selling DLC and squeezing the series until it's dry.
>>
>>377637270
>>377637521
This so much. The game is amazing anon.
>>
>>377637270
It's essentially System Shock 2, story and eveyrthing (at least how it progresses and such, not specific details) as seen through the eyes of RE4 essentially. If you don't like either of those games, that's a different matter altogether
>>
>>377637903
3 is shit because they fucking destroy the story and isaac character. Shit enemies with guns, shit levels, universal ammo.
>>
>>377631025

The dismemberment gameplay mechanic, but only when playing with the plasma cutter (starting gun) exclusively.

It's what made the gameplay tense. Having to actually take the time to line up your shots properly on the right parts of each enemy, combined with the enemies movement of those parts, and greater groups of enemies. It really required good target prioritization, positioning, etc.

Playing the game with all the weapons makes it much much more generic shootan unload into target.

The sound design was god too. Much more so than the graphics or story or characters.

Sound and Gameplay carried that game.
>>
>>377631025
It's a fun little horror shooter game that doesn't try to be anything else or reach beyond its means.
>>
>>377631025
Game had that Little Big Planet, photo realistic sheen to it. Was it the shading effects? And the gameplay was unique with it's in-game inventory, way you had to tactically switch weapons, and authentic feel to it.
>>
>logical evolution of RE4 gameplay
>excellent setting and atmosphere
>fun progression
>interesting story
It literally made RE5 obsolete.
>>
I've got a key, does anyone want to trade?
>>
Audio
From my personal favourite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJYXOFDJCdk
With its clear human element and the sound of absolute, horrible pain, and the desperate gasp of relief when he finally dies.
And also a general favourite from Dead Space 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOBGnwtxxQ
MY FUCKING EARS
Someone post the comic.

Also Isaac sounds amazing when he's dying. Not amazing as in he's doing well, but the VA does wonders to make him sound like yes, he really is being torn limbs from limb, slowly and agonizingly.
>>
>A creative, believable setting
>Good enemy design that goes beyond just zombies & mutants
>Great sound design
>A good gameplay gimmick

Dead Space 1 is a masterpiece and 2 was a perfect followup. DS3 is extremely flawed but still fun to play through with a friend.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.