[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 6 slot Chris poor game design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: Resident_Evil_1_cover.png (253KB, 300x452px) Image search: [Google]
Resident_Evil_1_cover.png
253KB, 300x452px
Is 6 slot Chris poor game design?
>>
>>377609230
In my eyes yes but nostalgianiggers will call me a casual.
Perfection would be 8 slots with Knife and Keys NOT taking a slot at all (DS port already had Knife not taking a slot), instead Knife being passive and keys going into a separate Keyring item.
>>
You don't really need 8 slots but i was glad when RE2 gave us extra inventory.
>>
>>377609230
Only because of shit like a knife taking an inventory slot even though Chris has a sheath literally embedded into his vest.
>>
>>377609230
well he can take more hits

thats less slots for healing items
>>
Chris is hard mode. 6 slots is perfect and more than enough when you're familiar with the mansion and know what shit you don't need to take.
>>
Which one do you take if you take either? For some reason I always leave both for the B scenario character.
>>
File: Side_pack.jpg (121KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Side_pack.jpg
121KB, 640x480px
>>377612067
forgot pic
>>
>>377611320
can take more hits and he lands criticals more often, combat wise he is easy mode compared to jill, but invo management wise he is hard mode.

The distinction in inventory is kind of moot though since the characters have different gameplay paths because of chris not having a lock pick, which is the real change between the characters, jill doesn't have to hunt down faggot ass keys
>>
>>377610785
>A rocket launcher takes up as much space as a key
makes sense.
>>
>>377612178

>Character has two extra inventory slots
>Character has a lockpick of unlimited uses that doesn't take inventory space
>Doesn't need to hunt down faggot ass keys

>Character has fewer inventory slot
>No lockpick
>Has to hunt down faggot ass keys that take inventory space

Chris isn't hardmode. It's fuck you mode.
>>
>>377612787
That's why I'm saying keys shouldn't take inventory space at all. It's retarded. I can understand weapons and ammo taking equal amount of space for balance reasons with letting you stack all ammo of 1 type into 1 slot though which is fine.
>>
>>377609230
The way I saw it back then was it was a trade off for Chris being able to take more hits. Just a game balancing thing they did between each character to make you want to use both. Not purposeful bad game design or even accidental.

Of course in 2017 with the ever increasing number of gamers who didn't start playing games until later on either because they weren't interested until later or because they are too underage many of these people will think otherwise.

However with that said it would have simply been better to give him 8 slots. RE2 did this and even gave a backback that gives 10 slots. What makes RE2 great was the A and B scenario's as well adding a bit to the replay value. Something that could have made RE1 even better imo.
>>
>>377612865
its the major reason I dislike playing chris, he has a stupid path through the mansion, it's an interesting way of mixing things up between the characters, but he just feels less fun.

Don't care that he gets the shotgun later, don't care that he doesn't get the grenade launcher, I care that he doesn't have the fucking lockpick and he has less invo slots
>>
>>377609230
6 is more than enough
>>
>>377612975
I started with RE1 on PS1 and I still think 6 slots is fucking retarded while 8 slots with some tweaking could be perfection middle, between chore and not being casual pandering. See>>377610785

But I'm aware I'm in the minority due to this prevalent retard logic that old and cumbersome automatically = hardcore 2kool4skool.
>>
>>377609230
Not really: Chris can take more damage than Jill, so he gets less inventory slots. Fair trade, I think.
>>
>>377612157
Claire A - Gun
Leon B - Pack

Not sure about LeonA/ClaireB because i played it 15+ years ago
>>
>>377612865
There's only like two or three times in the whole game where you need the lockpick/old keys. Meanwhile, Chris can take more damage and has the best defense item (grenade).
>>
In REmake what is the timer on crimson heads? To me it seems that are triggered by game events as you progress because sometimes dead zombies turn way faster and others I never see them transform.
>>
Personally, I liked the way they handled difficulty with Chris and Jill. Instead of being a normal difficulty setting, it was two different perspectives with the same location, but different events, unique weapons, and perks each one got.

Jill got a lot more assistance with Barry as well as better inventory and weapons and not having to find small keys while having less health and not being as powerful. Chris had better health and was more powerful, but had to babysit Rebecca, had to find small keys, has less inventory, and had tougher segments.

I know there are also typical difficulty settings, but still. I wish Capcom would try out that style again sometime with Resident Evil.
>>
>>377612157
Take both. I never plan on playing the B scenario after.
>>
>>377613128
>I started with RE1 on PS1 and I still think 6 slots is fucking retarded while 8 slots with some tweaking could be perfection middle

Sure okay but it wasn't necessarily poor game design. It just meant you take a few more trips to the item box is all. For the most part they designed the game for Chris with this in mind anyways. Which is why he only really gets the pistol and Shotgun as his main weapons. The Magnum later on. Also due to Chris health it might encourage others to play more dangerous with him. Which is I think their intention with his game.

When I think poor game design I think things that break a game pretty bad and the game becomes much better with it changed. With the 6 item slots it wasn't game breaking or even that bad. It would have been a minor improvement is all. A good one sure but nothing groundbreaking.

Now the 180 turn and auto aim....

That is a great addition imo that definitely improves the games a lot.
>>
>>377613378
Yes there is both a timer AND a story trigger it depends on which one comes first.
>>
>>377613378
I think its after a certain point in the game, but like 30 minutes to an hour maybe?
>>
>>377613378
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Head/gameplay
scroll down to "Tactics" for the times
>>
>>377613553
don't forget that backtracking to item boxes more, especially the one under the staircase, can you leave you fucking up that broken door handle before you'd like to

RE1 is full of cool considerations like this honestly, they handle the paths well for each character, though I do think the less invo slots is a bit arbitrary
>>
>>377613378
Also from the dozens of times I've been running this game I'm 100% sure that the graveyard zombie can never turn into Crimson Head.
>>
>>377613880
The naked zombies in the lab won't turn into crimsons either.
>>
>>377613762
>don't forget that backtracking to item boxes more, especially the one under the staircase, can you leave you fucking up that broken door handle before you'd like to

That is REmake shit. I was talking about the original. BTW, why didn't they change the 6 slots it for REmake? Clearly they to didn't see it as gamebreaking or too much of an inconvenience either.
>>
>>377612157

>Not taking the pack to hold that nice extra gun

Once you beat the game, you already know how to react to certain enemies, travel and how to by pass some zombies. I took both.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.