[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>using linear as an insult open world is shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: 1495262295357.png (532KB, 1278x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495262295357.png
532KB, 1278x720px
>using linear as an insult
open world is shit
>>
>>377582164
People's opinions change so much over time, every opinion someone has is shit at some point. Soon, publishers will go back to linear and we'll be saying that's shit and open world games are better.
>>
if you going make OW game it must feel alive, i mean, must have quests, the world must evolve itself around you, most devs go for the OW meme but make dead world which feels more artificial than linear games, its not the OW fault, it's the devs lazyness fault.
>>
Open world does not mean nonlinear.
>>
But OP most open world games are linear
>>
>>377582481
this

open world games are inherently better the execution is just fucked up by lazy shits
>>
Both linearity and open-world imply mediocrity. Doesn't mean they are if done right, but each one implies a significant flaw.
>Linear means the developers feel the player is too dumb to make their own choices or want players to experience shit in a specific order, otherwise known as railroading
>Open world means the developers are too to make an interesting game world and instead opt to make it sizable with long spaces between stuff to make it seem better, usually coupled with fast-travel
Not 100% true, just a general rule.
>>
Linear scaling is shit
>>
>>377583707
linear means the developers want to tell a story rather than make a walking simulator
>>
>>377582164
>please hold my hand
You're shit.
>>
File: 1492569220770.gif (32KB, 278x200px) Image search: [Google]
1492569220770.gif
32KB, 278x200px
Open world is great, it's actually so great devs can't fill it with interesting AND coherent content.

It's 1000 times better than any linear game when done right.
>>
Dark Souls is open world.
>>
>>377584761
>liking story-driven games means you want your hand held
retard
>>
>>377583707
>Linear means the developers feel the player is too dumb to make their own choices or want players to experience shit in a specific order, otherwise known as railroading
Or they want a consistent, challenging, tightly designed game with a smooth difficult curve where the decision making is strategy/tactics rather than where you want to go which is the more interesting anyway.
>>
>>377585067
>open world cant be story-driven
retard
>>
>>377582164
What about branching linear games?
>>
>>377585135

Yeah. I sure love going through the same fucking playthrough over and over again.

Fuck off. Either go sandbox with multiple choices. Nobody wants go through 5 play througha of the damn 10 hour game.
>>
>>377582164
You know there are open games that aren't asscreed clones right?
>>
>>377585350
>10 hour game
cofirmed to only play western games, fuck off to neofag
>>
I agree open world is shit.
>>
>>377582481
>>377583578
these
>>
>>377585334

No such thing. You call them non linear games instead.

Good example is dark souls 1. You can start off anywhere but the game is not open world, it but rather linear paths that are all connected to form a seamless world.
>>
>>377585474

Worse in jrpgs. I dont want to replay 60 fucking hours just to read the same unskippable dialog I already know about just to fight that extra ng+ boss.
>>
>>377582481
>>377583578
yes open worlds games would be great if only devs would put an unrealistic amount of work into their games!
>>
>>377585350
Its not the same playthrough since games have difficulty settings, different characters, mechanical depth, scoring, etc all of which make for far more enjoyable gameplay than choosing which section of a game you want to button mash through first
>>
>>377585334
So Metroidvania?
>>
>>377584852
>It's 1000 times better than any linear game when done right.
Yeah, when done right. The problem is that for every 1 open world game done right, there are hundreds and hundreds that are done wrong.
>>
Things can be too linear though, and that's worth critiquing. Good linear games often give an illusion of a wide space by offering many small paths through the level. Shit linear games are blatantly a straight rigid corridor design-wise.
>>
>>377582164
The thing is, you can make open worlds work by not designing them like shit. Linearity almost never works and is almost always a critique.
>>
>>377585703
>Ruggarell

kys
>>
>>377584852
It has never been done right for the vast majority of genres, and most likely will never be. How the fuck would you make a good focused open world beat em up for example? The only way games do this is by adding a shit ton of unnecessary elements (usually rpg ones) that undermine the combat and a fuck ton of filler.
>>
>>377585607
>unrealistic
they're paid well enough to put their lazy asses to work hard and yet they don't deliver
>>
>>377585703
>buying bethesda games for console
wew lad
is that diablo 3 I'm seeing at the top?
>>
>>377585623

And what game might that be? The only thing I remember a linear game having that is dmc4 special edition. Every other linear game is boring after the first couple play throughs and usually its just replaying your favorite level over and over again.
>>
Linear is an acceptable insult for RPGs.
>>
>>377585698
What you mean to say is that what matters is depth. Levels being flat corridors can be completely irrelevant to the quality of a game if the game derives its depth from encounter design and mechanics.
>>
>>377585886
A lot of arcade games, shmups and beat em ups in particular, 3d beat em ups like God Hand
>>
>>377585935

Like what? Corridor levels almost always have the same enemies spawn in the same place. It was only in open world games where random encounters were made possible and made you see silly shit like two hostile factions fighting each other or how in dragons dogma where a griffon could suddenly glide down and ambush you while youre chasing down goblins in a field.
>>
>>377586041

Oh, so dead genres and games then. Especially that Shinji Mikami now retired from the industry.
>>
>>377585802
The profit they get from putting that level of work in is marginal and not worth the time. The last 5% shouldnt take up 40% of a project's time.
>>
File: 1495214112939.jpg (258KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1495214112939.jpg
258KB, 1284x980px
>using artificial as an insult
>>
Literally the only thing you gain by going open world is a sense of scale and map continuity, and while long vehicle rides to distant locations can be comfy, they aren't fun. Give me a smaller, denser sandbox-style game. Have some loading screens. Don't pour development resources into making everything fit together and walkable and big when that also means your map is repetitive and devoid of content. I'll take a game that takes its level philosophy from way of the samurai over an open world game with nothing for it but "muh map size" any day of the week.
>>
>>377586294

While I like WotS, it needed like 3 more areas. That said, the non linearity of events is probably one of my favorite game progression systems ever. Too bad the series is probably dead now.
>>
>>377586097
Like 3d beat em ups where even though enemies spawn in the same places their reactive/random movement and attacks make for dynamic encounters that play ot differently. Random encounters are possible in linear games, you can literally have enemies that come into levels randomly and you could even scale their difficulty based on the level youre in. No one does it because its pointless shit.
>>
>>377586160
Unfortunately. Gameplay depth and challenge isnt as easy to market as square miles or amount of dungeons
>>
>>377582164
They're both great.
>>
To compare 2 recent stealth games, dishonored 2 kicks MGSV's ass in level design, because instead of trying to make a big empty world with outposts and bases here and there, Dishonored 2's developers poured their efforts into designing levels as their own standalone experiences with a lot of effort and detail in each one; even though each level is cut off from the rest of the world, as well as being linear (and the overall game being shorter) the lasting impression is much better, because all the gameplay you're getting is fun, interesting and satisfying.
>>
>>377582164
you're terminally retarded if you think "open world" is the opposite of "linear"
>>
>>377582164

>Linear and open world are the only two options
>>
>>377582164
Metroidvania is the only correct choice.
>>
check this out famalalalala

if youre gonna make an open world game make it really easy to traverse through it quickly and let a nigga easily transport between areas, do not give a single fuck about making it weave into the story, let me point to the map and let me instant transmission foo
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.