[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /v/ even feel about this game? GOAT for me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg (182KB, 856x800px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg
182KB, 856x800px
How does /v/ even feel about this game? GOAT for me
>>
>>377563817
>easily exploitable junctioning makes the game either amazing or awful depending on the person
>story starts off great then gets stupid halfway in
>has a skill to take away random encounters
>best FF protag
>>
File: 1456879542213.gif (991KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
1456879542213.gif
991KB, 500x340px
>>377563817
If /v/ taught me anything, it's that it's impossible to like VIII and IX at the same time.
>>
Best world
Worst story
Exploitable mechanics but only if you're a fuckstick that breaks the game intentionally

One of my favorite FF games
>>
>>377564485
>Exploitable mechanics but only if you're a fuckstick that breaks the game intentionally
Glad somebody gets it. The game is fun enough if you play normally.
>Best world
It's right up there, for sure. Wouldn't say worst story though, merely the dumbest plot twist.
>>
>>377564485
Love the world. Can only imagine what it'd be like in a remake.

First disc played like a dream. Didn't mind the story overall desu until it got flashback heavy.

Soundtrack not mentioned so far it's easily one of my favourites
>>
>>377564485
If anything the opposite is true, you have to go out of your way to not break the game, there are so many ways to do it.
>>
>>377563817
Great game. Graphics blew my fucking balls off when it was released.
My second favorite FF.
>>
>>377565379
I'll agree to some extent. But the basic breakdown is "graduate high school, go on a witch hunt"

>>377566178
Soundtrack is definitely my favorite of the FFs

>>377566467
Wat? You think it's natural progression to grind an obscure mini-game to ridiculous levels and use even more obscure GF abilities to break down the super rare cards you would only normally find with a guide? Or you think it's normal to go full autist and spend 1 hour per fight drawing 99 of each magic? Get the fuck out of here with that
>>
>>377566708
>grind an obscure mini-game to ridiculous levels
You mean the one that has a dedicated face button and you can paly agaisnt every nearly NPC?
>use even more obscure GF abilities
There's at least 10 of these abilities and you can see them all as soon as you get the GF
>the super rare cards you would only normally find with a guide?
Or by playing the minigame against important NPC Parents and friends will have the character cards
Or you think it's normal to go full autist and spend 1 hour per fight drawing 99 of each magic?
It takes 11 draws to get 99 magic. That's like 2 minutes tops.

Why does every FF8 thread have retards like this? You don't even have to be smart to be broken. Quistis straight up tells you to put Blind on ST-ATK and it easy-modes the game right there.
>>
>>377563817
FFVII > FFVIII > FFIX
For the PS1 Final Fantasy games.
FFIX was garbage.
>>
It was pretty good on its own merit. The best way to enjoy it is to not compare it to other FF games. Certainly not the best but perfectly agreeable.
>>
>>377564320
I used to like them both, but I've been playing through IX with a friend who's never played it and it is painful—extremely slow loading times (battles) and no No Encounters ability makes it a fucking chore. We played VIII together a few years ago and had way more fun with it.
>>
Greatest soundtrack of them all.
>>
>>377563817
>>377563817
Better than ff7.

I was high on coffee purifier and mashing buttons in the battle screen in air.
>>
>>377568612
This. The fact that people want rehashes for this series boggles my mind
>>
File: Quisty.gif (2MB, 401x281px) Image search: [Google]
Quisty.gif
2MB, 401x281px
>>377563817
Actually my favorite in the series, the potential for fucking around with the mechanics is infinite fun, there's load of things to do, the world and lore are interesting and Squall himself is a lovable asshole. The whole game is insanity, really. Everything is incredibly over the top: the story, the cutscenes, the designs, the animations (remember that over 2 minute long attack from Eden, or how Zell runs around the world for his final limit break?). There is no way I wouldn't love a game like this; it's just pure fun.

For reference, my second favorite is FFV, although I haven't played all of them. I kinda want to play II to see if it as bad as everyone else says, since I like VIII so much.
>>
>>377563817
It was my first game for the psx back in 2000.
I didn't have enough money yet to get a memory card so I just played the beggining loads of times (sometimes until Timber)...
Beat it recently and its still my fav FF though. The first is always the best, right?
>>
I will never forget that feeling when Irvines shot fails and Squall rushes it alone. Amazing first disc. Nearly 20 years ago Jesus Christ.
>>
>>377564320
VIII is my favorite FF and IX is my third favorite. Both are fantastic games.

Also it amazes me that people have issues with VIII's story. The time loop is pretty self explanatory and the amnesia twist is hinted at several times if you actually pay attention.
>>
>>377563817

Pros
>Amazing, lived-in environments and excellent world building; even generic npcs are fully realized, quirky and fun
>Triple Triad is fun, though managing the rule sets can be unintuitive and frustrating
>OST
>Flashy, stylish animations; the game is generally aesthetically coherent and pleasing
>Laguna flashbacks

Cons:
>Infantile, borderline retarded characters, stilted dialogued, hackneyed romance subplot
>A combat system that while innovative is poorly balanced and easily broken
>The orphanage and everything related to it as a plot point
>The story in general is extremely poorly paced, with long sections of pointless meandering followed by massive lore dumps and nonsensical plot twists
>While the concept of time compression is cool, the follow-through is just not there plot-wise
>The vast majority of world-building is done through text dumps found hidden behind menus. Character's in the game itself rarely offer insight on events as they unfold and are generally impassive to the world around them outside of simple, immediate goals like "rescue Rinoa."

Its a 6/10 maybe a 7/10 in my mind.

Whatever...
>>
>>377568519
Are you okay you seem upset
>>
>>377563817
Didn't care for the world, wasn't bad itself, but when 99% of its inhabitants are retarded its hard to like it. Makes no sense how an ultra high tech nation lost to a bunch of shmucks running 1950's tech and relies on whats basically high schoolers for a military.

Story is shit, its accepted. Characters are pretty shit. Squall was an asshole but can be somewhat sympathetic since he's not a total retard like everyone else, then turns into a lovesick pussy and retarded like everyone else. Rinoa is not only one of the blandest people in the series, She effectively is one of the most useless and hopeless, and she hijacks the plot and makes it about herself, while doing nothing to help and everything to make it worse. Zell...is there, hes alright and his stupidity is overstated, but doesn't really do much aside that one time he did. Quists doesn't do anything and does nothing except wanting to fuck Squall and call Rinoa a dumbshit. Selphie is totally unimportant, but at least wants to cause some chaos so she's ok. Irvine is pointless incarnate and an annoying douche. Laguna and pals are alright.

Triple Triad is overrated. Never liked it and the different rules are retarded.

Battle system sucks and is busted beyond belief. Only gets any remote form of Difficulty at the very end and its still one if not the slowest (ok this one is 9 Ill give it this) and abusable systems in the series. Faggot defense force needs to stop thinking its actually complicated because its not, It does all the stupid shit FF6 and FF7 did and made it worse. Only remotely interesting thing it did was able junction stuff to attacks, but the way junction is done only fucks over Magic, which sucks dick in the game outside the few single hand white magics that are busted as shit.
>>
>>377571734
My only problem with VIII is how easy you can break it right out of the intro but I still find it pretty enjoyable.

II isn't the worst thing ever, it's just a very rough draft for the SaGa games. Hell, if you liked VIII, you may enjoy II since it's also works differently from the mainline games.

Just don't wander too far in the world map.
>>
File: fire.jpg (204KB, 1024x581px) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
204KB, 1024x581px
Best world of any FF game.

It has a unique mix of sci-fi and modern styles. The towns are charming and each location is full of character. The Gardens and Fisherman's Horizon stick out.

The weirdest thing about FF8 is how it attracted people who weren't into 7 or JRPGs in general. I had several friends who hated every JRPG except 8 and played the shit out of it. It has a weird charm in that way.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.