[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on Donkey Kong 64

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: Donkey Kong 64 (U) [!].jpg (13KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey Kong 64 (U) [!].jpg
13KB, 300x200px
Opinions on Donkey Kong 64
>>
>>377543850
It would be fine if you just collected golden bananas. I could even live with the colored bananas. But making you play those awful minigames every time ruined it.
>>
>>377543850
It was one of my favorite games back then, but playing it recently made me realize how hit-and-miss the minigames are.
>>
It's fun but the exploration and character swapping is too forced by having colored coins and bananas. It takes a really specific kind of person to specifically enjoy going after 100% n this game.

I'd really like to play a romhack that does away with colored collectables and just lets you collect everything as any monkey. Having character specific minigames and traversal segments in fine but scouring levels as particular character JUST for collectables is annoying.
>>
>>377543850
Are you the same guy who made the BT thread?

Anyway, I hate this fucking game, it has a gorillian things to collect that makes the game drag on for far too long, terrible fucking mini games and boring ass levels.

I have PTSD because of that fucking OG Donkey Kong fucking cunt ass bullshit.
>>
>>377543850
You should have at least been able to switch characters on the fly. It would be way less tedious that way
>>
File: mig.jpg (25KB, 300x239px) Image search: [Google]
mig.jpg
25KB, 300x239px
Oddly, I find the game to be very relaxing. Getting all those items and doing stuff is both fun and chill for me, but that's mostly because I know what to do so I'm not swapping characters all the time (First thing I do is to open every area so I can just play with one Kong and get all the shit he/she needs to collect).
I can see why people hate the game, but I love it, favorite DK game aling with the first DKC.
>>
>>377543850
Collecting everything with every character almost drove me to insanity. That said, I love how huge the game is.
>>
How long does it take to 100% this game?

For a skilled player
>>
>>377543850
One of my favorite games. Played it with my dad and my brother. 10/10
>>
>>377546148
Too long
>>
HE
>>
>>377546148
20 hours, maybe less
speedrun wise, like 5 or 7 hours
>>
>>377546148

Unless you're skilled enough to know how to speedrun the game a first time play through would probably take about 15 hours.
>>
>>377543850
The idea of playing it makes me feel physically sick. Only other game to achieve this is minecraft.
I can see why other people might like it though, unlike minecraft.
>>
>>377543850
OOH BANANA
>>
>>377543850
a part of nintendo's golden age
RIP Rare
>>
>>377546148
Time is not the limiting factor. Sanity degradation is.
>>
Loved it as a kid, not sure how I feel about it now tho
>>
File: Donkey Kong 64.jpg (121KB, 955x699px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey Kong 64.jpg
121KB, 955x699px
Making collectables that can only be picked up by their respective Kong was a mistake.

There are way too many rooms that have stuff that focuses on one Kong... but there's a random banana belonging to a different there, so you have to leave and come back for that one single banana.

Many abilities were also pointless. Monkeyport is just an alternate warp pad that is exclusive to Tiny. All of the guns are just glorified switch pressers. One of DK's "special abilities" is LITERALLY pulling a switch. Why is Lanky the only one who can be Engaurde?

The only time the level design started to actually be good was Creepy Castle... but that comes way too late.
>>
>>377546148
they game has very little to do with skill, except some boss fights. its more about knowing the areas, memorization, etc
>>
>>377546432
You and me both man. I have no idea what possessed me to continuously play it as a kid though.
>>
Really mediocre. Bland level design and incredibly repetitive goals (hit switch get banana). Only the DKC3 team would think colored bananas were a good idea. The only way to enjoy it is to do the absolute bare minimum possible to complete the game, and ignore anything that seems even mildly annoying. If collecting all the things in your collectathon will make the player hate the game something has gone wrong.
>>
>>377543850
Why does his coconut gun fire in spurts?
>>
THIS KONG
HAS A FUNNY FACE!
>>
I love it, but I can understand why other people may not. I'm just the kind of person who likes collecting a bunch of shit
>>
>>377546754
His dick is broken.
>>
File: 1490205593306.jpg (206KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490205593306.jpg
206KB, 1280x960px
>bought a copy of DK64 at a convention
>first time I've felt genuine childlike joy over a video game in the past decade

I don't care what you lamewads say about "too many bananas," it's great
>>
>>377543850
I just recently played it and it's a fun game. The only problems I really had with the games were the minigames and the level designs. Seriously the only level that I thought were good were frantic factory, angry Aztec, and fungi forest.
>>
>>377543850
one of my alltime favorite games
>>
>>377543850
It's the worst collectathon I've ever played. The levels are huge, but the enemies are so pointless and the obstacles so few and far between that all there is in most of them is the collectibles themselves. And since collectibles are color-coded, you have to run through every one of them 5 times. There's not even any reason for there to be 5 playable characters when they're all so similar in terms of gameplay. Even the guns do the same thing. Having character pads and barrels doesn't justify them. And the minigames are awful. Fucking Beaver Bother, man. Most boss battles are also really long and tedious, with the boss just repeating the same attack pattern 6 times and making it longer each. There's like maybe two boss battles in the whole game that don't feel like a complete waste of time. Basically, it's terrible all around.

Its only saving grace is that, it comes with two actual good games: Arcade Donkey Kong (the only time I've seen the arcade version on a console instead of the NES one, BTW), and Jetpac. Jetpac is pretty fun and Arcade Donkey Kong is fucking awesome.
>>
>>377546716
>The only way to enjoy it is to do the absolute bare minimum possible to complete the game

>This includes playing Donkey Kong Arcade on the fucking N64 controller TWICE
>>
Garbage.
>>
>>377547040

I mean that's probably preferable to doing that AND several rounds of Beaver Bother
>>
>>377547040

That shit triggered me, if I want to play moustache man arcade then I fucking play that.
>>
File: 1381892910672.gif (3MB, 421x300px) Image search: [Google]
1381892910672.gif
3MB, 421x300px
>>377543850
>mfw I bought this game as a kid
>mfw dude told me about that memory pack you needed for 5 extra bucks
>mfw I said not thanks cause I didn't know anything about it
>get home
>game doesn't start
>image of battery pak appears
>realize I need it to play game
>spend 2 weeks not being able to play till I went back to that flee market and bought it
>>
>>377547549
Mine came with the memory pack. Was that something that only happened later?
>>
>>377547549
Did you buy it used? It came with the expansion pack included.
>>
File: 6JCnPoNZ.jpg (32KB, 396x396px) Image search: [Google]
6JCnPoNZ.jpg
32KB, 396x396px
>>377547904
>tfw got the game and the expansion pak at dirt cheap prices
>>
>>377547997
Yep it was at a flea market
>>
>>377543850
really comfy tbqh

multiplayers modes suck
>>
>>377543850
Fun as a kid but I find it really tedious to play now, and the color palette sucks
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.