[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Get in here fuckers, we're designing a video game!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: SQ1vzXw.gif (248KB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
SQ1vzXw.gif
248KB, 400x255px
Today's topic: Dungeons!

Dungeons are shit in most video games!
They're just long and boring hallways with stupid shit enemies.

So we need ideas!
We need ideas for better dungeons!

>Underground temples with altairs that can summon unique enemies
>Enemies roaming that can't be beaten without a certain item roam the dungeon
>Rooms filled with acid gas
>underground graveyards with ghosts'n'shit!

Now you!
>>
>time traveling
>to the past
>from another dimension
>>
Players build their own base for their characters that require living spaces, places to eat, food sources, treasure storage, entertainment, heating. That kind of shit. NPC raids happen and try to take their shit back you stole from their dungeons.

Dungeons and their NPC inhabitants play by the same rules as players and can be attacked and defeated in the same ways as players.
>>
>>377542459
What about a dungeon where you control someone in the past, and what you break in the past affects the gameplay in the present? Effectively you'd be doing the same dungeon twice and open up different paths depending on what you did, broke, killed, etc.
>>
Just look at Lands of Lore 2 and do everything they did. I have yet to find a game that does it better.

>every dungeon has a completely different theme
>they are always filled with interesting and unique items that you won't find anywhere else
>monsters are almost never recycled
>each dungeon is highly interactive
>the puzzles are always different and fit the theme of the given dungeon
>>
>>377542459
Shit man, back in middle school art class I had a sketchbook full of game design ideas. I had some for dungeons but I've since forgotten most of them.
>Catacombs dungeon with entire walls that serve as enemies
>Traps that affect other rooms (gas that fills the dungeon, spike shooting traps that jam locks on doors, etc)
>>
>>377542459
Uhh
>Underwater dungeon
>Dungeon full of mimics; you have to open chests to fight enemies and to progress
>Dungeon where you have to complete a dungeon wide ritual to summon the final boss
>Labyrinth type dungeon where you have to avoid an overpowered boss and depower him as you progress, but with less Labyrinth. Kids today hate that shit
>Skyscraper dungeon
>>
File: Waterwraith.png (348KB, 614x472px) Image search: [Google]
Waterwraith.png
348KB, 614x472px
>>377543743
Reminds me of this guy
>>
>>377544173
thought this was two beat up rolls of gaffer tape when I glanced at the thumbnail
>>
>>377542459
Listen to this nigga.

>>377543008
At the very least, the ability to set camp INSIDE the dungeon itself. It could be as simple as a firepit. Some sort of way point.

Bonus points for insane merchants that dwell in the dungeon.
>>
>>377542459
Okay ! Put : Bioware to character design, Nintendo in charge of the story, and Telltale to the gameplay.

It's INSTA-GOTY, I tell ya
>>
>>377542459
Your topic is shit and your ideas are terrible.

You want good dungeons? Well fine, but first you need to answer a few questions. There is no One True Dungeon Design, much like there is no One True Game Mechanic. If you try, you'll end up with a mechanically sound dungeon design that's boring a shit to play through because you never considered the important points.

First, what is this dungeon supposed to be? Is it optional? Is it holding a required item? Is it stocked full of treasure? It is intended to be a dangerous roadblock between two points?

Your ideas are also either weak flavoring (oh look this graveyard is so spooky!) or annoying (summon unique enemies, acid rooms) or just a pain in the ass (enemies that you need to run from until you get a specific item!). Some could work with the right angle, but so far they just look like poor ideas all around. What's the point of the unique enemies? Do you want to design a game around requiring unique items to fight specific enemies? Answer that.
>>
File: thelastremnant.jpg (548KB, 990x3130px) Image search: [Google]
thelastremnant.jpg
548KB, 990x3130px
SaGa: Scarlet Grace has an interesting philosophy, where instead of having a bunch of dungeons dotted around the world, they made the entire world like one major dungeon. Events happen across it all the time, and instead of just searching from how to get from point a to point b, you also have to be aware of everything that is going on in the world proper. It's a damn shame that we'll probably never get it in the west, because from a game design standpoint it's pretty damn interesting.

...and for the newfags that don't know what SaGa is, it's made by the same guy that did The Last Remnant, aka pic related.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.