[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Wanted Level resets upon mission completion Absolutely shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: gta3.jpg (154KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gta3.jpg
154KB, 1280x720px
>Wanted Level resets upon mission completion
Absolutely shit decision. Not only does this temporarily break the player's immersion through it's unexplained abruptness, but throws away hours of potential tension that the player could experience (even after finally getting-through that impossible mission, you still have to make it home, as always). The police-chase AI is one of the best things about this game, and they stash it away most of the time.

I honestly expected GTA III to differ on this score. But it seems they were casual-pandering even back then, with their greatest release.
>>
>>377501367
Oh fuck off. Who gets "immersed" in GTA? You lose the cops by getting your car resprayed, how immersive is that?
>>
>>377501818
>Who gets "immersed" in GTA? You lose the cops by getting your car resprayed, how immersive is that?
Stop conflating realism and immersion.

GTA's historical importance is exactly the massive breakthrough it provided in immersion, with a thriving city sandbox with a relatively large degree of player-choice in what missions (if any) they tackle and how they tackle them. Even the latest GTAs are far from realistic but they are immersive. Immersion is just the process of drawing all of a player's attention towards and into the game-world, through sheer beauty, fun, and other seductive properties. For this reason it doesn't need to be realistic at all, it can be a cartoon like Zelda, fantasy like Witcher, sci-fi like Zeus Ex.. these are all well-known to be immersive games despite neglecting realism.

So anyway, once a game world's logic has been established, any sudden break or contradiction in this will break the player's immersion. This goes doubly so for things like GTA that to a great extent aim to be simulating the 'real world', because the player themselves is expected to fill in any gaps in this emulation with their own knowledge of the real world (i.e. that little health ball I picked up is bandages, that little room he comes out of must have been the sleeping-eating spot, etc).
>>
"All right, another award-winning thread on /v/! Today we're talking about anything, it seems. If you have something to say about anything that isn't videogames, post now! Hello anon, you're on the /v/."
>>
>>377502627
Well losing the cops after a mission is part of the game's world, happy now faggot?
>>
>>377501367
this would get really tedious as evvery mission would end with the same drive to the next bribe/pay'n'spray/ssave house, see it as a reward for beating the mission
>>
I like it. Makes completing a mission all ten more satisfying and relieving.
>>
San Andreas' mission Outrider doesn't let you get any wanted levels during the mission to make it easier (you can even drive to the navy base of Area 69 without getting a wanted level), but due to a glitch you get a 3 star wanted level the moment the mission passes
>mission passed
>get slapped in the face
Needless to say, that shit is fucking annoying
>>
>>377501367
>Wanted Level resets upon mission completion
desu I always happily abused this
You finish the mission objective, you're gold. Downside of course is you tend to ignore cops once you're close to end of a mission.
>>
yeah because it's fucking fun and totally not immersion-breaking to have 4-5 cops constantly shooting you during a cutscene and then you fall over dead before you can even start playing again because you were still wanted and the cops were still there.
>>
ai freezes during cutscenes
>>
>>377501367
what is this double speak faggotry you are attempting to manifest so early in the morning, you fuck
>>
>>377502785
What makes you think this thread is off-topic or not vidya?
>>
>>377502970
Except it's not. Because usually to get rid of the cops there is a rationalisation e.g. police bribes, hiding in an alley, pay n spray. There are even some missions where you have to return home to complete them, and those few missions are more consistent with the rest of the game world's logic.
>>
>>377502979
this would get really tedious as evvery mission would end with the same drive to the next bribe/pay'n'spray/ssave house, see it as a reward for beating the mission
No it wouldn't considering you'd be driving home from different locations each time. And they could even have scripted different obstacles to getting home if they really wanted to.
>>
>>377503149
>I like it. Makes completing a mission all ten more satisfying and relieving.
Only if you're fucking shit and barely scraping-by.

Good players even plan their escape route before homing in on a target or whatever. If suddenly once you cap the target, every other police unit fucks off, then you have a massive sense of anti-climax considering how prepared you were for flight. Doesn't help that you can't predict which missions will do that.
>>
>>377503598
separate issue.
>>
>>377504570
read again, anon
>>
>>377501367
game gives you money when you hit other vehicles. do you find this realistic, motherfucker?
> But it seems they were casual-pandering
it's the hardest 3D GTA
>>
>>377501367
You're an idiot, if you end up a mission successfully with a 6 star wanted level and die because of it, you're just going to have to repeat it again. GTA III, VC and San Andreas didn't have auto save.
>>
>>377505531
>game gives you money when you hit other vehicles. do you find this realistic, motherfucker?
No but at least that fact is consistent throughout the entire game, and at most makes you go "wtf" the first time you notice it and then never bothers you again. Whereas the wanted level BS is every mission almost.
>it's the hardest 3D GTA
If you had quoted me in full instead of breaking my sentence up, you'd see that I agree, and even implied that.
>>
>>377505669
>You're an idiot, if you end up a mission successfully with a 6 star wanted level and die because of it, you're just going to have to repeat it again
But that's exactly what you SHOULD have to do. The only obvious reason the devs chose to ignore the rest of the game's handling of wanted level, is to make it arbitrarily easier for the player. That's casualization. They literally censored one of the game's best mechanics whenever a mission is "over", just because it might alienate more casual players. If it had been the arcade era still, that wouldn't have happened, and the game would be more consistent and have more depth because of it.
>>
>>377502627
zeus ex
>>
>>377502785

Clothes
>>
File: 1411750182554.png (100KB, 1198x899px) Image search: [Google]
1411750182554.png
100KB, 1198x899px
Remember playing Vice City and thinking the era it was set in was so long ago?

The game's release is now the same length of time away form us.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.