[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Problems with modding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 72344-0-1451626442.jpg (484KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
72344-0-1451626442.jpg
484KB, 1920x1080px
I always wondered why I don't see as many custom models, animation, game mechanic mods for games like modern warfare or gta, etc.

Are games like these just not interesting for modders or are they hard to mod? I heard that GTA 5 is a bitch to mod. Why are most of the AAA games so hard to mod?
>>
P.S. I obviously don't know enough about the technical side of things.
>>
>>377496958
Probably something about the character models being too integrated into the game's physics engine i.e. too many animated details on the original body

But a skyrim, a game with barely any physics going on, wont affect the game at all. You can replace your character with a piece of bread and the worst that could happen is some clipping issues.
>>
>>377496958
Elder Scrolls and Fallout games both have modding tools that were made by the developer themselves. That's the only reason its so easy to mod. If other developers created and released tools that did something similar to what Creation Kit does for Skyrim, there would be a lot more moddable games. Without tools that were created by developers, we only have applications developed by players that use workaround since they dont have access to the source code and can't effectively make something that can change around as much, usually only resulting in texture replacers, rarely model replacers.
>>
Because Bethesda release modding tools, other devs do not
>>
>>377497715

It also has to do with the creation engine being really damn basic. Its akin to warcraft 3's world editor in simplicity. That said I wish more devs would encourage a healthy modding scene. Making my own scenarios was one of the best times with wc3 because of how accessible it was.
>>
>>377497715
If I have the game. I can't look at it's source code and make a modding kit similar to skyrim's? How can developers hide the source code. Doesn't your computer need it unencrypted or whatever when it actually runs it?
>>
>>377496958
Todd knew his job. So he made skyrim as shitty and open as possible. Really makes you think
>>
>>377498310
>If I have the game. I can't look at it's source code and make a modding kit similar to skyrim's?
Just because you bought a car you wont suddenly get the machines and tools necessary to mod the car, or even build one from scratch.
>>
>>377498310
> Doesn't your computer need it unencrypted or whatever when it actually runs it?
No, because the superficial user interface you are using acts as a decryption, so to speak.
>>
>>377498310
When a game is compiled into the final working product the source code is obfuscated and for proper and complete mod support you need either the dev to release tools or the source, like with skyrim or factorio or people need to decompile and deobfuscate it, like with minecraft.
>>
File: 1448061784034.jpg (1MB, 1920x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1448061784034.jpg
1MB, 1920x1079px
>>377496958
http://kinsie.tumblr.com/post/160829421632/where-did-all-the-modmakers-go
I read this the other day and most of it seems to make sense.
>inb4 >tumblr

I'd also say the higher the fidelity and realism in the game, the harder it is for someone to inject their own custom work without it feeling too out of place. That's why games with a simple aesthetic like TF2, or games that look like garbage like a Bethesda product have tons of user made content.
>>
>>377500397
>>377500335
>>377500239
That's a shame. I hope developers will make games more mod-friendly. Skyrim did that and it turned an average game into a "legendary" game that everyone knows.
>>
>>377500779
Oh yeah! The thing with "Why would someone buy this helmet when they can just install a mod for a cooler one?" really does make sense
>>
>>377496958
>Are games like these just not interesting for modders or are they hard to mod?
Because you essentially need to reverse engineer the games to do it properly.
>>
>>377500779
Isn't that Tumblr guy also a DOOM modder himself?
>>
>>377502092
This, a lot of modern games have really fucked up engines as well
>>
>>377500779
>without it feeling too out of place.
>why games that look like garbage like a Bethesda product have tons of user made content.

Are you implying Bethesda modders who create laser swords and barnacle bikinis for Skyrim care about it looking out of place?
>>
>>377496958
If you're able to mod, you probably have the skills to get a more than decent paying job.

So why would spend hours to months to even years doing something that won't earn you anything when you can?

Because it's a hobby/passion project. See OP for typical mods.
>>
>>377503082
This, making video games as a job isn't easy, because of shit like time and budget, which is why most AAA titles are always half baked garbage.
When you mod, you don't have to worry about budget and shit like that, because it's a hobby.
>>
>>377500836
>I hope developers will make games more mod-friendly.
very small chance for that happening since really only bethesda does it and the fact that their games are barebones and their modability is one of their greatests selling points. Other games actually depend on becoming stale and old fast so you have more of an incentive of buying the next fucking call of duty.
And then we have the real problem why you will see it only very rarely: firstly, making a good modding interface is hard and takes effort that most devs would rather put into the game proper, and secondly, leaving the game in a state where people can easily mod it can open it to unwanted manipulation, or can be another source of error- and bugreports the devs get swamped with, which might actually only stem from some broken ass mod they have installed, which also is a source of stress for them.
>>
>>377496958
Lots of older games were modded because the developers didn't encrypt their scripts and or assets.
And then you have cases like Skyrim, where they leave (a portion of it) open on purpose.
>>
>>377496958
engine pre-baking
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.