[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tyranny Didn't Sell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

File: tyranny.jpg (204KB, 627x662px) Image search: [Google]
tyranny.jpg
204KB, 627x662px
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/paradox-admit-tyranny-sold-below-expectations-dlc-still-in-the-works.115226/

>“Obsidian did a great job of capitalising on the timing of Kickstarter and the wave of nostalgia for these type of titles,” goes his hypothesis. “We've seen that most of the titles after Pillars of Eternity, if you look at Wasteland, Torment - they haven't been anywhere near that kind of success. So maybe it's that a lot of nostalgia fed into the initial bubble and that's why. These games have a market, but it's never gonna be that peak [again].”

Wow it's like Obsidiots don't want to admit that Obsidian creates generally unlikable and unsellable games

>B-BUT POE SOLD!

Only because of Baldur's Gate nostalgia
>>
JUST
>>
>>377495153
PoE sucked. Why would anyone want to buy the same game again but with extra trannies yelling at you for being a white man?
>>
UnderRail is better
>>
>>377495543
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
File: monkeys_paw72-620x400.jpg (62KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
monkeys_paw72-620x400.jpg
62KB, 620x400px
>Oh man, I sure do wish isometric RPGs came back!
>>
>>377495642
Tyranny; the subject of this thread, and the same thing everyone else is talking about.
>>
>>377495679
I played Tyranny and don't remember any mention of trannies or white people.
>>
>>377495153
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/T5fWhyfx-WY4o7ynjy2QsA/
>>
>Oh look, he posted it again!
>>
>>377495153
I think these sort of games ultimately end up satifsying nobody: not the modern gamers (retards) and not the hard core computer rpg fans

also the problem with obsidian is that they are too lefty\sjw (in new vegas it was annoying\distracting), I don't know how much it impacts on sales though, but let's keep in mind they are not tackling a mainstream, safe market here
>>
just make regular rpgs with non-archaic gameplay elements. sometimes streamlining is good. Having modern gameplay doesn't necessary mean butchering the story and RPG elements. I don't even want to play that isometric shit now, I've honestly had enough of that.
>>
>>377495741
>don't remember any mention of trannies or white people.
>or white people

Nailed it - no mention of white people in the game.
>>
>>377496064
>Nailed it - no mention of white people in the game.
>the game set in a fictional universe
there's your (you), now I'm leaving to play video games with some friends, I'll leave you to waste your life away on /v/ my man, have fun
>>
>>377496174
Cringey post even though you did your best for it not to be
>>
>>377496064
Why would you mention white people in a video game?
>haha, us poor oppressed white people
>FUCK WHITE PEOPLE
Do you really want this in video games? Not even the really old rpgs mention it even though they were made by white guys.
No one fucking cared about it until you retards came along that have to shove politics into everything.
>>
File: baldurs sjw.jpg (415KB, 1568x984px) Image search: [Google]
baldurs sjw.jpg
415KB, 1568x984px
>>377495960
>also the problem with obsidian is that they are too lefty\sjw (in new vegas it was annoying\distracting),

Also just because Bioware and Beamdog are worse than Obsidian at the SJW stuff, doesn't mean it still isn't fucking awful when Obsidian does it and doesn't absolve them of them doing it.
>>
>>377496485
>all those replies
"What is it, midget?" or something like that would have been more than adequate.
Who the fuck wrote this?
>>
File: Andromeda-Transgender.jpg (499KB, 1186x632px) Image search: [Google]
Andromeda-Transgender.jpg
499KB, 1186x632px
>>377496425
>No one fucking cared about it until you retards came along that have to shove politics into everything.

Said unironically about games that shove their politics down your throat
>>
>>377496621
>"What is it, midget?"

Fuck that's good

All you'd need

>1. Yes?
>2. What is it, midget?
>3. I can be your wench tonight if you play your cards right
>>
>>377496485
This is just bad writing, all the options say the same thing.
>>
File: fuwj0Yo.jpg (199KB, 1492x1055px) Image search: [Google]
fuwj0Yo.jpg
199KB, 1492x1055px
>>377496703
And Obsidian has done this - but Obsidiots will stay claim they're amazing writers
>>
>>377496702
good thing /v/ doesn't write video games
>>
I liked it :( Never will see another one Sad Panda.
>>
>>377496485
Wasn't that a fan patch?
>>
>>377495153
I don't think anyone took Tyranny that seriously, since it's the game equivalent of a snack and Obsidian never really seemed to care too much about it. It's like they had some leftover staff or something and gave them a little side project to keep them busy and Tyranny is the end result of that.
>>
>>377496815
It's part of the enhanced edition expansion pack by Beamdog - which had Minsc make a Gamergate reference
>>
>>377496640
m8 I don't like bioware's writing at all but one line by one character about previously being called Stephan is hardly shoving their politics down your throat.

>>377496745
As someone who runs tabletop RPGs, I would just have a
>1. Continue
option there. Sometimes when you've got an interesting story to tell, it's best to just start telling it.
>>
File: church.jpg (534KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
church.jpg
534KB, 1280x800px
>>377495657
>isometric
Pretty sure it's 3D and perspective projection, not isometric.
>>
File: 1409708395894.jpg (85KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
1409708395894.jpg
85KB, 500x687px
>>377495153
I wonder how the Shadowrun RPGs sold, considering they made 3 of them. Presumably fairly well, and they aren't complete sacks of goddamn shit like Tyranny, Torment, or Wasteland 2.
>>
>>377496640
>video game from 2017
>same thing as a video game from 1987
Yes, that is what I meant by "you retards came along that have to shove politics into everything."
Now all we get are dumb as fuck comments.
>why aren't there more black people?
>why are there female warriors?
Just fuck off.
>>
Tyranny seemed like it could have been a playable game up until the end of act 1
>>
Tyranny didn't sell because it was an unfinished, extremely poorly written, and overall horrible trashfire crap. More news at 11.
>>
>>377496951
What was wrong with wasteland 2?
>>
>>377495153
Tyranny didn't sell because it was pitched on PLAY THE EVIL VILLAIN! and yet you spend the entire game playing negotiator and getting punished for being too extreme. It's a fucking bait and switch.
>>
>>377497090
Wasteland 2 is just flat out mediocre.
Still more entertaining than PoE or Tyranny.
>>
File: DOS2.jpg (833KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
DOS2.jpg
833KB, 1536x1152px
Tyranny didn't sell because everybody is looking forward to the vastly superior CRPG.
>>
>>377496941
Is this Inquisitor?

Did they ever update this game to fix the fact that you needed to chug dozens of potions per battle, which made the game essentially unplayable after act 2?
>>
>>377496703
that's not the problem.
problem is that every single one of those answers is butthurt. it's supposed to be role playing game and it's player who should decide if they get angry or not.
>>
>>377496951
>Tyranny, Torment, or Wasteland 2.
I liked all of them. Tyranny went from good to average in the second half though. Wasteland 2 never got above just good.

I liked all of torment, in fact I think it needed another area/10 hours of gameplay and a better more climatic ending, but was still a good game.
>>
>>377497252
Yes, it's Inquisitor.
>essentially unplayable after act 2?
Have you considered that maybe you're just a scrub? Do you also complain about the combat in Planescape: Torment?
>>
>>377497228
Release date WHEN?
>>
>>377497252
>>377497323
Is it worth playing?
>>
>>377497386
The writing is superb, the combat not very much so, much like Planescape: Torment.
Definitely worth playing.
>>
>>377495605
This. Best isometric rpg in years
>>
>>377497323
>Do you also complain about the combat in Planescape: Torment?
Yes, but for different reasons.

Inquisitor, a.k.a. Potion Drinking Simulator has ridiculous combat which means you have to lug around 3 pages of potions all time that don't even stack for some reason - I don't care if it's hard, it's just needlessly awkward and I couldn't look past it even after putting 25 hours into the game
>>
>>377497386
The story is great and it has good world-building that's obviously had a lot of effort put into it, but it has dogshit combat.

It's not like PST either where the combat is mostly avoidable - there's a lot of it. It's also a pretty hard game.
>>
>Even a significant amount of people looking forward to the game didn't know when it was coming out

Obsidian has nobody to blame but themselves. Forget marketing, they didn't even have enough information out about it for most people to realize it existed. They didn't even list the release date anywhere obvious.
>>
I don't understand the gleeful attitude over others' failures
>>
>>377497426
>>377497570
Can I turn the difficulty down? The concept of it definitely sounds fun, I love judging people.
>>
>>377497490
>>377497570
It's absolutely not hard though. Awkward, yes, but far from hard. I can only recall one area I had troubles with, and that was the orc mine that was chock-full of enemies every two steps.
Other than that the combat is completely tolerable, if a little annoying at times.
>>
>>377497681
Yeah just play on Easy. Also don't play Priest, it's tedium personified until you hit level 35 then you turn into a God.
>>
>>377495605
>>377497465
Mein negr- jacks.
>>
How many times are you going to make this thread? I didn't even play any of these games, but I'm getting tired of seeing the exact same one with the exact same comment for four fucking days now.
>>
>>377497708
>if a little annoying at times
You've just unintentionally endorsed him playing on easy. If it is annoying then you want it over with fast, ideally.
>>
>>377495153
nocoiner stuck in a corner - buys a game at 60$ price tag, is enable to sell before the dip. Sad!
>>
File: 1372357875254.jpg (29KB, 176x187px) Image search: [Google]
1372357875254.jpg
29KB, 176x187px
>It's a soon-to-be /v/ is too dumb to read a book and thinks a an average story justifies 50 hours of shitty gameplay and calls everyone that points out how flawed 20+ year old gameplay concepts are a casual episode
>>
>>377497859
I said "at times".
My point was that it's not bad enough that it warrants playing the whole game on Easy, it just has its moments, much like any other game.
Even Icewind Dale, which is my favorite D&D game, gets me annoyed during certain sections. Doesn't mean you should play it on Easy.
>>
>>377497637
Seriously this, I haven't even realized they where making and releasing the game until the other day from /v/. Also I don't think the saturation of isometric rpgs we currently have is helping much. Especially if it doesn't bring anything new to the table nor if it isn't anything more than good.
>>
>>377495153

Maybe because the games look bland and uninspired. I'm a huge fan of old CRPGs. Fallout 1 & 2, and Arcanum are among my favourite games. I didn't even bother picking up PoE or Tyranny.

>>377495605

Underrail is fantastic however if a bit clunky. The freedom in that game is top notch.
>>
>>377497708
>It's absolutely not hard though.
I know you're not allowed to admit that something's hard on /v/, but it's pretty well-known for being a difficult RPG, which is why so few people have completed it.

If you read any reviews of Inquisitor, pretty much the only two major criticisms of it are that it's really hard and you are constantly drinking potions every time you encounter an enemy (and if you don't have potions, well then have fun walking like a cripple for half an hour until your stamina recovers)
>>
>>377497904
The problem with this is Bioware cocksucking in its origin. TB games weren't innately great but RTwP has -always- been shite. People suffered through it because Bioware did what nobody else was doing at the time by giving you slightly more personable npcs and telenovela-tier dialogue (which they still do today). Baldur's Gate is seriously overrated and its success seriously fucked RPGs in the ass.
>>
>>377498001
>Fallout 1 & 2, and Arcanum are among my favourite games. I didn't even bother picking up PoE or Tyranny.
Maybe you just have a problem with generic fantasy. Cause fuck knows I do. Why is it always with the swords & magic and the orcs & elves. Fuckshit, give me the future, you cunts.
>>
File: fighter.png (26KB, 232x400px) Image search: [Google]
fighter.png
26KB, 232x400px
>>377497363
No idea but I can't take this wait anymore. That GM mode looks absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNxDMZhiGtU
>>
I don't understand why they would proudly tout that Tyranny is a smaller, more experimental side project, and then try to sell it for 40 bux. I mean nigga what in the hell. This is a 20 bux game at most.
>>
>>377498231

While not my favourite I don't have any issues with it.
>>
You keep making this thread, why?
>>
>>377498232
Original Sin 1's map campaign editing tool also looked amazing but it turned out to be an overly complicated mess that no one ever used
I'm personally not a fan of how Larian seems to be focusing a lot more on the multiplayer aspect and lets it affects the single player mode of the game, but I'll have to wait and see the final product before I can pass judgement.
>>
>>377497228

Still need to finish the playthrough of the first game with my bf. That game is great for coop.

>You position yourself here, and I'll sneak around for a pincer attack
>Use your oil spell and I'll use an explosive arrow to set them all on fire
>Distract these guys for me while I pick pocket them and steal all their shit

Great game design.
>>
>>377498231
>orcs & elves
Tyranny didn't have either of those.
>>
>>377498231
>swords & magic and the orcs & elves
Arcanum had all of these, you know.
>>
>>377495153
why do you keep making this thread
>>
File: gui11.png (11KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
gui11.png
11KB, 768x432px
>>377495153
>tfw i'm making an isometric RPG
should i scrap it?
>>
>>377495605
Underrail would be better if it had a in-game map
>>
>>377498232
If I buy DivOS2 will I get my own Matt Mercer GM?
>>
>>377497637
>>377497972
>We're such big fans of Obsidian that we didn't know they had another RPG coming out!

The mind of an Obsidiot
>>
>>377496485
dude's a dwarf viking he doesn't know any better
>>
>>377495153
Please stop making copypasted threads over and over.
>>
ayyyyy
>>
>>377500635
lmao
>>
Tyranny was ok but their RTwP and the character systems they've been running just suck. The spell crafting system was cool in theory, but didn't really translate well in the game experience. Quests didn't really have enough going on besides go there, kill everything. The choice came in to what place you were going to kill everything. I liked the world and characters enough, but the moment to moment gameplay was a slog. This is the case for every single Obsidian game save for Dungeon Siege 3 which is a steaming pile of shit at every level.
>>
>>377495153
Eh, it's not a bad game. I give it 84 out of 100.
>>
>>377495153
Tyranny didn't sell because it wasn't good.

PoE was already mediocre and Tyranny managed to be worse.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.