[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone say it has shit writing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: Persona_5_cover_art.jpg (107KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
Persona_5_cover_art.jpg
107KB, 250x354px
Why does everyone say it has shit writing?
>>
To get (you)s
>>
Because it's not Ape Escape 4
>>
>>377419062
IT'S A MEME YOU DIB
>>
>>377419062
You don't go making an antagonist like Akechi reveal everything about his plans and motives and reveal he's the killer only to try give him redemption 1 minute later.
>>
Name 5 (FIVE) japanese games with good writing.
>>
People complaining why this has 15 threads in the catalog while BotW has 2 or 3
>>
>>377419226
Virtue' sLast Reward
Hotel Dusk
Tales of Berseria
Fire Emblem 4
>>
>every time your party talks it is 10-20 minutes of exposition
>no overarching plot for 80% of the game
>Character actions and motivations make no sense in the final leg of the game
>everything with Akechi-Shido at the end of the game
>Morgana's entire purpose in the game is to try to explain magical bullshit that obviously makes no sense
>>
>>377419258
And they say that this place is nintengaf..........
>>
>sit in cafe
bla bla bla we cant let this go on we have to do something
>loading screen
lets not do that today
>loading screen
this countries going to shit
phantom thieves?!
Shido-san!
>loading screen
>back to sitting in cafe

At least you get to do stuff with your friends as a group in the other games
>>
>>377419306
I've only played 999 from those on your list but I'd hardl call that good writing. It's just trope shit. The worst part about it is the forced scenes together with your 'childhood friend'
>>
If this game is 75% flashbacks then how did Joker know about the parts he wasn't there for?
>>
>>377419062

Lots and lots of issues. I don't think the writing is bad per se, just flawed. I still played this game through twice and like it enough to make longass 4chin posts.

The SIU director cutscenes spoil the plot stupidly. As a general rule when I write I try to avoid building tension by handing information to the reader that the characters don't know. You can use this concept effectively, but on a personal level I don't like this and don't use it myself. Persona 5 does not use this effectively, so for me it's a double whammy of a technique I already dislike being done really poorly. The SIU director actively spoils potential twists and saps impact out of a lot of reveals. How much of a gut punch would the plot reveal that you were being manipulated into going after Okamura be if you only found out when the Phantom Thieves did instead of in a stupid cutscene earlier. That would have been a great twist but they chose to tell you before hand. And that's pretty much all the SIU director does, tell you shit before it happens so there's no tension when it does.

The frame story is another sinner. The scenes where you go back from your recollection(the story) to the interrogation don't ever tell you anything important. Before then they simple serve to make absolutely sure you understand the blindingly obvious. Chuck Palahniuk wrote a little essay on showing instead of telling a while back that I found quite useful to me as an aspiring writer. It really shaped how I approach giving the reader information in my works. Instead of telling the reader "Sally likes Steve" directly, write a scene that expresses this without saying it explicitly. Persona 5 does this fairly effectively in a lot of cases, and then completely ruins it by having you cut away to the interrogation right after. What makes it infuriating though is that the writers know how to do it more effectively, do do it more effectively, yet choose to add the shitty cutscene anyways.

cont'd
>>
>>377419306
Visual Novels hardly count
>>
>>377419495

The game tends to heavily lean on common anime tropes as well. This isn't a problem in and of itself, but they are all played so straight that anyone who is anime-savvy can predict the character effectively just from the character designs.
>it's Light Yagami, bet he's a bad dude
>oh one of the chicks has shorter hair, bet she's a square
>oh he's got blonde hair bet he's the boisterous one
>oh she's shorter than the others and has glasses/headphones, guess who the weeb bait is going to be
It makes a lot of what happens super predictable, which combined with unnecessary early reveals from the SIU scenes really take away from the story.

Futaba in terms of how she affects the plot is a big deus ex machina and she doesn't fit with how the other characters are portrayed. She sticks out like a sore thumb. All the other phantom thieves and even the confidants feel somewhat reasonable. You for the most part go, that person could exist as a person, it's just not likely. It's generally accepted that stories are full of unique people because they are more interesting to many readers, and Ann being an aspiring model isn't unbelievable. Nor is Yusuke being an up and coming artist, Haru being the heir to a large fortune, or Ryuji being a failed athlete cum deliquent. Futaba fails miserably with ridiculous behaviours, and unnatural, immersion breaking levels of skill and ability. She feels distinctly out of place. Everyone else acts within the bounds of human behaviour. Futaba sleeps for like three weeks because she runs out of energy, is the greatest hacker in the entire world, and is able to understand and continue her mother's research. It's just kind of ridiculous.

cont'd
>>
>>377419492
>>377419582
Silent Hill 2
>>
>>377419585

The way the game has a false finale also kind of feels weak. The fight with Shido should have been the finisher. The final area is the game equivalent of The Scouring of the Shire, but it's not nearly as interesting. There's no real effective leadup from Shido to the next area just "lol it's not fixed lets go to mementos here's a boss" and then some loose ends get tied up. Up until that point the game felt connected and as if one thing was leading effectively to the next thing but I didn't feel the last palace and the accompanying final story segment succeeded.

The various characters in the game rarely have interplay outside the main story. Ann and Ryuji have prior history and are connected through it and it shows. Ryuji and Mishima are good friends. Ryuji is honestly just the best character... But most of them time it's all these little stories that don't connect to each other and even the phantom thieves feel like they don't know each other well which is weird because the game takes place over an entire year and one of the themes it explores is how people without a place find a place with the PT, but you don't really see that expressed through character interactions. There was a scene when I was doing Hifumi's confidant where we went to a book store and ran into Makoto and they chatted and seemed to hit it off. I would have loved for that to develop into an actual friendship and it would have been far more interesting then what you actually get in Makoto's social link; a character that you do not care about(Eri). With the specific exceptions of Ryuji and Sojiro this is a theme for all the PT related characters.

cont'd
>>
>Nobody would have drank that

It was hilarious to hear that and then see a scene of them in class discussing proper grammar.
>>
>>377419641
Havent played that either. Horror games are boring. Like just watch a movie
>>
because I don't like when games comes to platforms I don't own
>>
>>377419680

As an addendum to this, there's this real lack of consistent characterization and development for the scooby gang due to the limitations the format for this game imposes. There's a video essay called "The Shandification of Fallout," or something like that, that I think is worth checking out. It talks about how the ability to do what you want, when you want, and talk to whoever you want creates a different kind of narrative than a novel would have. Persona 5 says hey you can do whatever you want, but because the game is designed so you can get every bit of story content in one play through, and not getting the optional story content is kind of silly since it doesn't really take much longer to get it since the game makes you go through each day in some fashion anyways, you end up doing it all no matter what. But the game operates on a timer and the main story moves along at a specific pace. This is great for pacing the game, it feels a lot better than most RPG stories do because there's an actual sense of urgency to what's happening. Shit doesn't just pause forever. The confidants though have to be designed in such a way that you can do them whenever you want, but only if you want to. So you end up having these stories that can neither impact how the character acts in the main narrative, nor be sensitive to time, even though the main story operates on a timer. There's a discord here and it leads to you solving someone's problems and them experiencing real personal growth but not acting any differently. The attempt to allow for a personalized narrative clashes with the structure of the main story in a way that just doesn't work that well. It's most noticeable in Ryuji's confidant. This is an issue Persona games just have in general.

There's more stuff, but those are the big sins it makes. A lot of my other topics or complaints are mostly pure personal preference.
>>
>>377419328
>every time your party talks it is 10-20 minutes of exposition
Not true. Also don't see why this is a problem if it were.
>no overarching plot
You're the phantom thieves. You are stealing hearts. That's the overarching plot.
>Character actions and motivations make no sense
How? They are fighting for their own justice to ensure that nobody else has to feel lonely or have their fate decided for them by corrupt adults.
>everything with Akechi-Shido
Agreed, this was fucking stupid, Akechi should have had far better motivations than his father, jealousy, and being the strongest, though it works well as a foil to Joker
>Morgana's entire purpose
It makes sense. He's the last sliver of human hope in a society that has decided it would rather live in chains than its own free will. Morgana is a manifestation of that hope.
So you either didn't bother to play the game all the way through or are searching for (You)'s, so here's one for you, you faggot fuck.
>>
>>377419734
Fuck off you console warring faggot
>>
>>377419705
whatever retard
>>
>>377419641
Cliched horror stuff. You can tell the writers read a little Freud and thought it was super deep and stuff.
>>
>>377419793
horror is a stupid genre that doesn't innovate
>>
It's absolute kino

>In philosophy
>Professor asks me about the concept of evil
>Put on the spot, start panicking but remember a certain quote from Persona 5
>"Stop looking down on me with that stupid smile on your face!"
>Professor looks stunned, class gives me a round of applause
>>
>>377419910
>that doesn't innovate
what kind of fucking retarded statement is that? Are you seriously implying that nothing about the genre changed from films like Frankenstein and Godzilla to Eraserhead and Jacob's Ladder?
>>
>>377419780
>Also don't see why this is a problem if it were.
you are an idiot
>>
>>377419925
you tell those damn adults lol
>>
>>377419925
The Witcher 3 one is better desu
>>
>>377419680
The fact that Shido wasn't the issue all along makes perfect sense. It's constantly foreshadowed that Mementos isn't what everyone thinks it is and is something far more sinister. If the game ended with Shido, it 1. wouldn't feel like an SMT game and 2. would hardly resolve the plot because it wouldn't address why the Metaverse exists.
>>377420052
Nice argument. Too bad your criticisms are shit.
>>
>>377419925
kek
>>
>>377419062
Makoto, everything surrounding her character is absolute garbage. She and Sae were better off cut from the game.
>>
>>377419925
Should quoted Witcher
>>
>>377420258
Makoto and Sae are good characters but what the FUCK were they thinking making Makoto's entire S-link about her trashy whore friend? Also, Sae being a palace target felt pretty weird and rushed, like it didn't have much justification to it.
>>
>>377419493
to just show the player things, not even Joker can explain those scenes
>>
>>377420191
It's just not effectively handled. Mementos needed to be better integrated into the plot for it to have any impact. As it is with how the most of the game goes it feels like the part of the game that is memorable and enjoyable ends up being a red herring and the boring and dull sidequest area ends up being what matters. But it's not like the game handles this with a big reveal and subverts your expectations in an interesting way. It's more like there being yet another story arc in Bleach...

It would have worked much better if the conclusion to Mementos properly integrated with the rest of the plot, like if the cog-psi stuff lead to their creation and consequently Shido was responsible. I get that it would break protocol for the franchise but that's not a bad thing.
>>
File: 1494894606142s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1494894606142s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
>>377420693
not him but I agree with you anon. I liked both the mementos depths/god fight and the climax against shido but it straight-up felt like the writers came up with two different endings to the game and they panicked and couldn't decide which to use so they crammed both in. The Phantom Thieves hijacking the televisions and "Pillage him, Satanael!" both felt super fucking cool but the aftermath of the shido fight was the most limp dick anticlimax ever and it just kind of awkwardly transitioned into the real ending. The pacing kind of fell apart, for fucks sake we NEVER get to see the Phantom Thieves get recognized for bringing down Shido after all that buildup.
>>
>>377419925
>>377420131
underrated
>>
>>377419062

It is a Persona game.
>>
>>377419062
What a fucking false flag.

Maybe if you stop """asking""" the same question (stirring shit up) every day and reach an answer yourself.

Neck yourself. Not even defending the game.

FPBP >>377419123
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.