[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the greatest Elder Scrolls game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: Morrowind_1.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind_1.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
Is this the greatest Elder Scrolls game?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>377414210
Thanks anon.
>>
I like how the journal works and the lack of quest markers, it's incredibly immersive but the combat is irredeemable. Attack me.
>>
>>377414118
No
>>
>>377415394
>Attack me.
I would, but I didn't take Shitpost as a major skill so I would only miss
>>
>>377414118
Yes
>>377415394
No disagreement here
>>
>>377414118
it looks like shit even for a 2002 release, and the animations and combat are absolute bottom of the barrel trash. It still is though.
>>
>>377415394
The combat is hardly any different from real-time CRPGs. Missing is good and makes combat less predictable and more suspenseful (I'm down to a sliver of health and so is the enemy, should I use my last potion or take the risk and hope that my next swing hits and kills the enemy?)
>>
File: reviews.png (566KB, 1200x4000px) Image search: [Google]
reviews.png
566KB, 1200x4000px
>>377414118
Yes.
>>
>>377414118
Thats not skyrim
>>
>>377414118
It needs a proper remake. The gameplay among other things is very dated now.
>>
>>377416734
There is no combat system. The entire game is a simulation of traditional D&D RPGs. View Morrowind in the context of the year it was made in and try not to ruin it for everyone else by begging Bethesda to streamline it to death.
>>
File: 1454495377387.jpg (412KB, 620x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1454495377387.jpg
412KB, 620x1000px
It is. The more I played Bethesda games, the more I realized that the improvements to how combat plays and feels mean jackshit as long as they continue to remove rpg mechanics from their games. It was fun shooting things in Fallout 4 for a while, but I soon realized how unreplayable and shallow other game mechanics are. Character building and RPG mechanics are non-existant and every playthrough feels the exact fucking same. I killed thousands of enemies, explored most of the places, built a few settlements (which I thought was kinda fun) and quit the game altogether, never touching it again.

Meanwhile I keep coming back to games that allow for in-depth character customization, which make every playthrough feel unique and rewarding.
>>
>>377416734
>Guilds that actually require skill and attribute levels for advancement, conflicting quests, a fail-able Main Quest, chance of casting failure, attributes and fatigue affecting action success, and no level scaling
There's no way Bethesda would go for it. Moreover, I think it would be too difficult to rebalance combat if you removed weapon skill from the equation and make it entirely based on the player's physical action.
>>
>>377415394
I was raised to never attack a retard.
>>
>>377417313
You could have 89 in all relevant skills and not qualify to be the leader of a guild because you weren't skilled enough.

The "You must be this tall" mechanic is better suited to MMOs.
>>
>>377417265
>streamline = bad

I love this meme.
>>377417313
A large amount of their work is already done for them though. They would just need to look at their old game and copy shit over from it. It would be a lot easier than making something from scratch like usual.

I can easily see them doing this actually. Who knows if they will though.
>>
Music is the only good thing about this game.
World feels artificial and unimmersive, animations are off putting.
Graphics are shit because of the view distance and fog, Gothic 1 had much better visuals and effects and it is an older game.
Character conversations are boring and presented with a text dump, no one has any distinctive personality, they are barely "conversations" because there is no dialogue between characters.
Skill system is bad just like any other TES game, advancing your character feels boring because you have to repeat the same task over and over again.

Skyrim is a better TES game and Skyrim is shit.
>>
File: 1443288266965.png (272KB, 1280x731px) Image search: [Google]
1443288266965.png
272KB, 1280x731px
>"open world"
>NPCs stand around doing absolutely nothing
>zero world interaction unless the player is directly involved
>most people are mutes, just stand there mind reading entire conversations
>Clearly hit that guy in the face? LOL no you missed m8
>Enter tavern, can't even sit on a chair
>"Best in the series!" - Morrowfags smashing the keyboard with their landwhale fingers trying to defend this shit
>>
>>377417909
Holy shit those are some bad opinions
>>
File: 1489091719935.jpg (75KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1489091719935.jpg
75KB, 960x640px
>>377418074
>random anon posts 100% facts
>"opinions"

Morrowfags are so utterly deluded.
>>
>>377417619
Yeah, later games' system of being able to complete entire questlines without any skill whatsoever like becoming head of the Mages' guild without casting a single spell is so much better.
Look, I'm not saying you had to do that in Morrowind - you didn't, but that's what the mechanic of minimum skill requirements was representing; some minimum level of ability and investment before you were qualified for advancement. The solution to your problem is just making the cuttoffs less stringent, but honestly, if you have 89 in all the relevant skills how hard it it to increase one a single level? It's pretty reductive criticism honestly, becoming head of every single guild because you're really good at stabbing things and only good at stabbing things is stupid.

>>377417861
I don't mean work required so much as that it's completely antithetical to the direction Bethesda have been trying to push their games, which is to simplify things as much as possible, removing character building complexity in particular, and make it continually easier for every player character to complete every quest.
>>
why is it so boring tho. fuuuuuck i miss oblivion, bros.. so damn comfy...
>>
>>377417909
people always shit about walking text dumps, and yet those text dumps are always filled with cool detail and writing beyond bethesdas latter years, plus with the bonus that you kinda make your own voice for each character yourself

Plus, I'd take reading over oblivions dogshit writing and five voice actors anyday, it's so distracting how shitty the writing and voicing is in that game
>>
>>377414118
This game is fucking terrible. This sums it all up.

http://thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.co.za/2015/02/morrowind-sucks-aka-morrowind-is.html

Keep playing, morrowcucks.
>>
>>377418456
>I don't mean work required so much as that it's completely antithetical to the direction Bethesda have been trying to push their games, which is to simplify things as much as possible, removing character building complexity in particular, and make it continually easier for every player character to complete every quest.

So what makes you think they couldn't do all of this for a remake? When I said remake I wasn't saying remake it entirely as it was. Don't be silly. You should know better considering Square Enix is remaking FFVII in a completely different direction and tone to the original game.

Remakes don't always have to be the original done in HD or better graphics whether you like it or not. Pretty sure if they wanted to remake it expect a lot of differences.
>>
>>377414118
Morrowfags will never accept that their game is a mediocre DandD sim at best. Skyrim and Oblivion are much better, much more successful games.
>>
>>377414118
>Dated af
>People just stand around silently
>Clunky as all hell
>10/10 best game ever
>>
File: morrowind water.webm (3MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind water.webm
3MB, 1280x960px
>>377414118
No, that would be Daggerfall. It is the least bad of the modern TES games at least.

>>377415768
You're joking, right? Morrowind was THE RPG for graphics whores in 2002. Character animations were shit but you weren't meant to play in third-person anyway. Other aspects like its high polygon count, pixel-shaded water, dynamic sky and weather effects, and stencil shadows cast from every actor by player-moveable light sources were impressive and highly praised. It was the best game to show off your fancy new graphics card with, and was even provided by Nvidia with the purchase of a GeForce 4 for a while. Hell, some of the most critical reviews of Morrowind summarized it as being good for pretty graphics and a big world but not much else. Keep in mind it released early in the year and predates some of the best-looking games like Splinter Cell and Metroid Prime by several months.

>>377417909
And what the fuck? It blew Gothic out of the water in nearly every possible way visually. There are steps and fences that are nothing but flat textures in that game. People don't even have fingers and their shadows are dark circles. And holy shit those awful trees. I played Gothic first, then Morrowind, and it spoiled the hell out of me for replaying Gothic. Fortunately Gothic's far superior gameplay kept me coming back and all the post-Daggerfall Bethesda games continued Morrowind's downward spiral.
>>
>>377418456
In Morrowind you could go from boat to cutscene in 15 min.
In Oblivion you could face nothing more difficult than scamps.

Quit worrying on how other people play the game.If they do stupid things it is their business and has no effect on you or your game.
>>
>>377419445
>good graphics for its time

Vampires of the Masquerade: Bloodlines is a virtually unknown game and had much better graphics than that shitty game for its time. Hell, the graphics might even pass today. Don't try and defend your autistic one-core game.
>>
>>377419835
>Vampires of the Masquerade: Bloodlines is a virtually unknown game
Now pull the other one
>>
>>377415394
I don't think the combat is that bad but the game would definitely look much better without the MISS MISS MISS thing. It was fine in Daggerfall but in Morrowind the graphics are good enough that you can clearly see the sword connecting.
Just call it a glancing blow and make it deal only one damage "Whoops, your sword bounced off the enemy's armor/carapace/hide". If you want to be all fancy make it so that the enemy doesn't grunt or spill blood when hit by a glancing blow.
>>
>>377415394
I think archery is beyond help but normal melee attacks are alright if you've played dice based rpgs before. I know its not about crazy movements and parries and whatnot but it was never meant to be that way, it was meant for you to look at numbers and the best way to spend points/train.
>>
>>377420075
Or you can just accept that this is how the combat is abstracted in this game and move on. It's not that bad of a thing since morrowind has other draws besides the sword swinging unlike Skyrim.
>>
>>377420075
>>377420256
is there a mod that takes the miss mechanic away?
it would take some of the difficulty away but i think it would be way more fun
>>
>>377420541
Yeah it's called player.setav
>>
File: 10frvoo.jpg (31KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
10frvoo.jpg
31KB, 600x450px
Modern /v/ will never understand or appreciate Morrowind because they grew up playing Oblivion or even Skyrim. No amount of shitposting will change what an amazing experience that game was, or what a disappointment Oblivion was after it.
>>
>>377418067
Fampai, I know this is bait, but it's 2017. There are maybe a handful of games that have NPCs not standing around doing nothing, have world interaction without player involvement, have sittable chairs in taverns, or voice acting that goes beyond three lines, much less any game that has those things combined.
>>
>>377420541
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/23746/?
Personally I don't use it. I've seen a video about it as far as I know it doesn't make the game that much easier since humanoid enemies are gonna hit you 100% of the time too.
>>
>>377419835
>VTMB
>unknown
Yeah, it looks fantastic and is also a much better overall game than Morrowind. It also came out 2 1/2 years later so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I never like being in the position of defending Morrowind since it represents the shift of my then-favorite series to a totally different audience, but the fact that it looked good when it released is just that: a fact. Graphics were one of its biggest selling points. Morrowind's claim to fame was having a big beautiful world with lots to do, nevermind the fact that it was much smaller and had less to do than its predecessor.

It's ironic that Morrowind fans complain about later games focusing on graphics over gameplay when it did the exact same thing:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3JKAP3W6QBJ8Y
>So, in conclusion, go ahead and be impressed by the graphics and overwhelmed by the size, but it's little more than a very large screen-saver. (I called it a wax apple because it's perfect to look at, but provides no substance)
>>
File: anonNPC.jpg (317KB, 440x618px) Image search: [Google]
anonNPC.jpg
317KB, 440x618px
>>377420670
I'm 29.

Morrowind was ok for it's time but in reality it's overrated shit that only appeals to autistic neckbeards who refuse to see the blatant, mind numbingly bad aspects of the game.
>>
>>377420936
To them every flaw is a feature.
>>
>>377420767
>shit game with nearly 0 interactions and maps the size of my thumb

cool meme but your buffy game is shit and not comparable in any form to morrowind. or any elderscrolls game for that matter.
>>
>>377420541
Yes, but whatever you do do not use >>377420749 which completely breaks the combat system. It makes half of the skills and stats in Morrowind have NO gameplay effect whatsoever. It also makes creatures, which are the majority of enemies you'll encounter, a complete cakewalk since you effectively have maxed combat stats vs. them at all times.

Use something like this instead:
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44007/
Basically makes it like Oblivion by having stats affect damage instead of accuracy, rather than outright removing those stats entirely like Accurate Attacks does.
>>
>>377419835
Bloodlines would be a better argument against Oblivion, since its release date is much closer to that than to Morrowind.
>>
>>377421179
Honestly I agree with you when it comes to "not comparable" because Morrowind and Bethesda games in general might as well be a totally different genre. And that genre bores me compared to CRPGs.
>>
>>377421612
Morrowind, with all the DLC, came out late 2003, while vampires of the masquerade came out in 2004. It's still a major improvement in a game that didn't have as much funding as Morrowind, yet still had decent graphics.
>>
>>377421861
It'd be very surprising if it didn't greatly improve on the visuals of a game nearly three years its senior like Morrowind.
>>
>>377421861
>Morrowind, with all the DLC, came out late 2003
By that logic I guess Baldur's Gate is a 2016 game. VTMB looked and played great despite the bugs, but it's not from the same time at all.
>>
>>377421120
>if I don't like it then it's a flaw
I bet you complain about weapons breaking in BotW too. When do people defend the ACTUAL flaws as features? Nobody thinks Morrowind is better off for not being able to make poisons with alchemy, or how poorly balanced the armor sets were before the expansions, or how stealing an item marks every single item with that ID as stolen, or how without unofficial patches the unarmored skill only protects you if you wear at least one piece of armor.

I do hear people defend the features a lot though, like when you complain about missing, moving too slow, running draining fatigue, written directions and many in-game travel options instead of quest markers and fast travel, etc. which are all things that would make Morrowind a much worse game if removed or replaced with the features found in Oblivion/Skyrim.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.