[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rumor, Magic the Gathering MMO in the works. Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10

File: 648683388657.png (76KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
648683388657.png
76KB, 640x360px
Rumor, Magic the Gathering MMO in the works.

Discuss.
>>
Wizards is incredibly incompitant
>>
>>377408312
So like a regular card game sort which is incredably dumb and redundant or something like D&D online where it's just in name only?
>>
They can't even make an online client for the card game. An MMO would be an incredibly retarded move. It's much more likely that 'Magic Digital Next' is a Hearthstone-like client for the card game that merges MTGO and Magic Duels.
>>
>card game mmo
sounds incredibly retarded
>magic lore mmo
the settings in magic are just getting worse and worse so who cares
>>
>>377408312
It will either be actually good or an incredible fuck up. I'm guaranteed hours of entertainment either way.
>>
Apparently it might have been outsourced to Cryptic Studios.

If it's just running about a 3d work doing Magic Battles with ever encounter I'm in.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/magic-the-gathering-mmo
>>
Will Eldrazi be a playable race?
>>
>>377408381
thread
>>
>>377408312
Micro transactions the Game.
>>
>>377409158
Blind as a Bat.
>>377409036
>>
>>377409218
Not gonna change shit.
Wizards is always afraid of the people losing sight of their main product, paper cards.
They are killing magic duels because they are afraid it could take business away from their cards, they will fuck with their mmo if it ever becomes relevant.
Wizards are truly incompetent
>>
>>377408381
Fpbp
I love magic and have been playing it since m14. But God damn wizard's technical "prowess" is astounding. I haven't seen any other company fuck up as many digital products as wotc
>>
File: 1480708107401.jpg (164KB, 920x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480708107401.jpg
164KB, 920x960px
What plane would be the best setting?
>>
>>377409452
I really want dominaria since I was never around for it. But I know wizards hates premending stuff because they're too lazy to address it interestingly with the characters they have now and instead just like to pretend it doesn't exist
>>
>>377409452
Pre-apocalypse Dominaria, Shandalar, Ravnica, Mirrodin, Phyrexia
>>
WotC absolutely despise computers and anything digital, so you can bet your ass it's going to be trash, no matter what it ends up being.
>>
A magic the gathering mmo has been rumored for at least 2 decades now. Give up cardfags.
>>
>>377410043
I mean, I'd be beyond hyped to explore Dominaria or Ravnica but I just know that if it ever happens Wizards will fuck it up immensely. Shandalar was the last good MtG game.
>>
>>377409452
Lorwyn because an mmo has to be generic fantasy
Serious Answer: Ravnica is the most likely
>>
>>377411397
>lorwyn
>generic fantasy
>>
I started playing Magic Duels just to get a handle on the rules. Thinking about buying a deck building kit after I get used to it. Anything else I should know?
>>
>>377408312
Are you talking about NEXT? That's not going to be an MMO.
>>
I doubt wizards would do a MTG game
>>
>>377411760
Stop playing Magic Duels, don't buy a deckbuilder's toolkit and then you got 3 choices.

If you are willing to invest 300-500$ then you can go to your LGS and get some recommendations on modern/standard decks (I wouldn't recommend standard, its a money pit) and see how shit works
If you got friends then buy some planeswalker decks/duel decks or just build casual jank decks for 20$
Drop the game.
>>
Awesome
Yugioh is shitting itself right now and I need to pick up something else.
>>
>>377411760
Well you could always download cockatrice which is the actual go to mtg online player. It has every card and itsnt automated so you can get the whole experience.
>>377412785
>>
>>377411760
You have a couple of different routes you can go:
Standard (made up of the most recent few sets available). Standard is a good starting point since your required knowledge of cardpool is smaller. It's not terribly expensive but you have to make new decks every year or so as cards will rotate out of standard. The complexity and power-level is also lower than other formats. NEVER BUY BOOSTER PACKS OR SEALED PRODUCT. Buy/trade for singles, it's much smarter in the long run.

Draft. Draft events are you buying 3 packs then drafting cards from them with 7 other players. The advantages here are that you're on an even playing field with the other 7, so there's no dumb pay to win bullshit going on. It's also pretty skill intensive and every game is different since you make a new deck every time. Downside is that it's going to cost you about 10 bucks to draft since you have to pay for the 3 packs. Many stores offer prize support for their drafts so if you're good enough you can 'go infinite' and never pay for a draft again.

Commander. A primarily multiplayer format, these decks involve you picking one creature to be your commander and you build a deck based around that creature. The creature is always available for you to cast and can be recast multiple times if it gets killed/leaves play. Commander has the best support from Wizards of the Coast and the precons are good bang for buck. The cardpool leads to some fun cards being legal, but you have to deal with politics/multiplayer and the top tier decks are frustrating to play with. NEVER BUY BOOSTERS. Precon 'commander' decks are fine.

Modern/Legacy. Like standard but the cards never rotate. Power level is much higher as is the cost. This is an investment to be sure, but you make a deck and you get to play with it forever. You need to be familiar with more cards than standard but it's a satisfying couple of formats. NEVER BUY SEALED PRODUCT/BOOSTERS.

Or just casual.
>>
>>377409452
Zendikar, why is this even a question ? Every other answer is wrong.
>>
>>377409452
Ravnica
>>
what a bad idea
>>
>>377413329
zendikar is a retarded plane when you think about it
sure adventuring is all fine, but there barely seems to be anything OTHER than adventuring on that plane, which makes your adventures not adventures but normal everyday life

and ravnica is more colorful
>>
>>377413610
But if it was Zendikar they could make it a soul's game, make all the enemies Eldrazi :3
>>
Pokemon tcgo is the only good tcgo on the market, also because it's the cheapest (literally no IAP)
>>
>>377413329

>not dominaria

fuck off kiddo
>>
>>377413610
>sure adventuring is all fine, but there barely seems to be anything OTHER than adventuring on that plane,
That sounds like every MMO universe.

Tons of Heroes
Very few farmers.
>>
>>377414489
nah, there's plenty of mankirks wives and shit, just they're background NPCs
>>
>>377414334
>start playing
>all the trainer challenges with shit starter decks
Kill me. This shit is not fun.
>>
>>377414723
>tfw you have to buy the dlc booster pack to get better cards and better spells
>>
I want a game like phantom dust but incorporating creatures and artifacts
>>
>>377414723

Don't do trainer challenges just grind theme ladder with the blue deck untill you can afford the lunala theme deck, then use that to grind ladder and get your currency

>>377414894

The fuck are you talking about
>>
File: 1494678814384-2.jpg (418KB, 1439x1422px) Image search: [Google]
1494678814384-2.jpg
418KB, 1439x1422px
>tfw you'll be an planeswalker materializing his cards
>>
>>377415142
Well I already completed the first batch of trainer challenges and, in the process, bought the Incineroar deck, based off guidance from the /vp/ pastebin.
>>
>>377415142
>The fuck are you talking about
Looks like you don't know about Magic the Gathering, anon.
>>
File: so innocent and pure.png (12KB, 105x225px) Image search: [Google]
so innocent and pure.png
12KB, 105x225px
>>377415348
Not him but why are you discussing MtG to an anon talking about Pokemon TCG?
>>
>>377415179
>mads being too classy to wave his middle finger around
nice
>>
>>377415457
>why are you talking about MtG in a MtG thread?
Maybe because it's a MtG thread?
>>
>>377415745
Europeans are just cucks
>>
Is this that Magic digital next people were talking about or is it another project?
>>
>>377415228

Incineroar is cool but honestly trainer challenges are a waste of time once you got a good theme deck, grinding ladder rewards are extremely good and strongly incentivise you to try to get 10 wins a day
>>
I only play magic duels, I don't want to spend hundreds into paper and I don't want to play some online game with the Ui from windows 95

Fight me
>>
>>377416375
>I don't like the basis and true soul of MtG
Or you're just a braindead NEET?
>>
>>377416219
We don't know
>>
>can't use guns
dropped
>>
>>377408312
Even if they did and it actually works, it will still focus around Jace and those other faggots.
>>
File: 1430781921400.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1430781921400.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>377408312
Yay, I can't wait to pay real money for virtual cards that will disappear once the servers get shut down!
>>
>>377413592
>tfw MtG will never do a Ciri planeswalker
>>
>>377418796
>>
>>377409452
Honestly being able to go back and forth between plains would be best. Have each of them as their own seperate Hubs and maybe live the life of a planeswalker. Maybe your race can dictate where you start.

Getting bored of the straight corners of Ravnica? Head over to Lorwyn and enjoy the pretty scenery before the Great Aura shows up and makes everything awful.

Done with that? Try Zendikar for some fun romps in gorgeous environments that can come alive and kill you. Ontop of all the other things that are already alive that want to kill you!

That getting to boring? Fuck off to Innistrad and then leave because fucking hell nothing good happens on that plane ever.

Sling over to Kaladesh and enjoy some goddamn car races, or save up some money and buy a floating Aether powered airship.

This could be a really cool thing if at all true and not made by morons.
>>
>>377410043
You can't blame them too much. YuGiOh demonstrated why putting all your cards up on a computer program is a terrible idea for a card game.
>>
>>377418796
I kind of hope it's not card related, honestly.

The thing about MtG is that it has a universe that is only represented by cards, which makes it immediately more appealing for this sort of project than Yugioh.
>>
File: 636275485446111678.jpg (181KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
636275485446111678.jpg
181KB, 1200x900px
>>377408312
It could work, it could work very well but like >>377408381 says it would be a complete shit show. Could another more capable company do it? Sure, wizards is also trying to make a movie right now I'm pretty sure so they are just trying to cash in as opposed to making "labor of love" projects.
>>
>>377420059
>I kind of hope it's not card related, honestly.
WotC has been jewing people with super expensive tradable pieces of cardboard for 24 years, why would they stop now?
>>
>>377408312
It basically just needs to be MTG: Shandalar but multiplayer and 3D.
>>
have not played magic a long time. did they drop jaceleague already?
>>
>>377420492
Because an actual mmo with powers based on the cards would lead to much better design.

Learn new spells as you journey to different plains and gain powers that can only be found there!

I know Wizards isn't the sharpest pencil in the drawer but goddamn I just want them to make the right decision because IT'S RIGHT THERE IN-FRONT OF THEM.
>>
>>377420620
No. God no.

I mean I liked the idea of having main characters that we know since then we don't have to introduce them every fucking time we go to a new plain to tell a story but with maybe two exceptions they are all giant bores.
>>
This last set had zero creativity
>>
>>377413051
Pauper is an option too, if you want to play on MTGO.It's an eternal format, but only commons are allowed, so it's pretty high power level, and super cheap.
>>
>>377421628
They don't need to.
They have no competition
>>
Magic Duels is like crack for me. I know it is not the best implementation of MTG, but that hasn't stopped me from putting an embarrassing number of hours into Duels. I am kind of sad I can't discuss Magic Duels on 4chan (it falls in between /v/, /tg/, and /vg/) more often. It is clear there are at least some MD players on 4chan, but it never gets discussed, so unfortunately I have to go to the Magic Duels subreddit to discuss this game.

I am really hoping Magic Digital next will be an updated implementation of the MTG card game. I am not very interested in an MTG related spin-off game to be honest.
>>
>>377421824
As much as I hate it you're right.
Yugioh used to be a competitive rival until they went pants on head retarded and never came back from it.
Hearthstone and other Online CCGs never last because you don't have a physical collection sitting in your room to pick back up after 2 years.
I hear Pokemon is doing okay right now but it will never be considered a true rival because of the complexity differences.
>>
>>377422097
Yugioh just went full retard and decided the smartphone version of their game is the main game now

I could take a lot of shit. Pendulums, Links. but this is too far.

Smartphone games are cancer and bring in the worst audience.
>>
>>377409370
>They are killing magic duels
Please cite a source, otherwise I will dismiss this as a fear mongering shitpost.
>>
>>377409452
Ravnica

First Expansion - Phyrexian invasion
>>
It'll be pay to win bullshit, just like the cardboard.
>>
>>377408312
Could be interesting but probably won't be
>you start off mono-color
>can choose to go dual color for more options/less power and maybe even three-color
>>
>>377408312
>Discuss
There's nothing to discuss. Nobody wants to spend hundreds (thousands) of dollars on a bunch of paper in today's world, especially when there's way more entertaining games out there that are free to play or a fraction of the price. Furthermore there are already plenty of ways to play MtG for free through online clients like magicworkstation.

Wizards are desperate as fuck, especially because their official online client is complete dogshit.

Also Hex: Shards of Fate exists, which pretty much blows MtG the fuck out of the water
>>
>>377422186
>>377422097

Pokemon has the best model right now for mixing paper and digital. You buy paper cards, you get codes to get cards online. And you play online for free, they give you enough stuff to effectively play casually without paying out a single cent. I'm actually tempted to buy physical cards to get into it at the LGS scene, and to get more shit in the online version. The theme deck stuff is easy to get into and reasonably fun. Not actually sure what the standard more competitive stuff looks like, though.
>>
this will never happen
>>
>>377415179
>you will never get banged by three smelly survivor cocks
>>
Any chance to realize any MtG world into a wide explorable 3D environment is a chance I'd pay for me, no matter how badly it tanks after release.
>>
>>377422987
apparently it's already in development
>>
A card game MMO where you can actually challenge NPCs and players in a game world would be amazing.
Add in quests for cards/packs and I'd give up regular MMOs
>>
I'd just like to point out that there already WAS a 3D Magic the Gathering game.
>>
File: Magic Digital Next.jpg (63KB, 858x483px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Digital Next.jpg
63KB, 858x483px
>>377416219
This is the only screenshot we got so far, whatever it is. It's from a recent Hasbro report for shareholders.

And it looks like dogshit.
>>
>>377426297
Looks alright to me
>>
>>377426839
> blatantly attempting to copy Hearthstone
> alright
>>
>>377408312
Why would they release some no-life game to cannibalize the fanbase of their other no-life game?
>>
>>377408312
>Magic MMO
That sounds awful
>>
>>377427164
Umm if anything Heathstone copied magic.
>>
>>377409193
Yep. See: Magic Duels, and the last DotP.
>>
>>377427826
umm sweetie no
>>
>>377427164
>1993
>2014
>copying.
>>
>>377427826
Not even close, HS is way simpler to appeal to normies.
>>
>>377428017
Oh love, yes.
>>
>not a Hearthstone MMO
dropped.
>>
>>377428017
Umm deary, >>377428118
>>
>>377428192
But hearthstone is a shallow pile of mediocrity, christ magic duels is bad but at least it's not simple
>>
>>377427164
>copying a top tier UI
>bad
I bet you like the clunkiness of duels. HS may be a shitty RGN-fest of a card game, but it controls perfectly. The only bad thing there is that they're still using that stupid combat animation that only wastes time. In fact, it'd have been better if they had also copied HS's simple animation, only with every creature attacking at the same time.
>>
>>377428760
> I bet you like the clunkiness of duels.

I don't play Duels. Tried it, but uninstalled it after half an hour due being a buggy, massive PoS.

And given MTGO's track record, they WILL find a way to fuck up even the most simple things.
>>
>>377422684

The Pokemon CCG digital client is fucking fantastic. It's too bad that the game is almost hitting immense power creep levels and the game is almost reaching Yugioh levels of power.
>>
So you have like an avatar and beat monters using decks and the monster using themed decks?

For example a wolf pack leader using werewolves
>>
>>377431162
I would have thought it's going to be more like, explore lands battle other planes walkers ect with cards.
I can't see how they would have beat monsters with cards
>>
>>377408517
they literally can't make a good digital version of magic that isn't as jewish as the paper one because it would kill the paper game, and that's their bread and butter
>>
>>377408312
nobody fucking cares, and I'm not saying this to call you faggot. Nobody knows what MTG is, no one will buy this. The MMO players will get it, play it for a month, and then crawl back to their MMO of choice like they always do
>>
File: Wrys-FE1.png (19KB, 130x127px) Image search: [Google]
Wrys-FE1.png
19KB, 130x127px
not interested if its just grinding for cards when I can just copy-paste decks I want to play into Cockatrice or Xmage

if it's just using the planes/lore of MTG it mite be cool but I doubt it
>>
>>377408312
No Phyrexians No buy
>>
>>377428760
>top tier ui

retards please stick to blizzard games.
>>
>>377408312
it better have the best set Fallen Empires
>>
>>377408312
>MTG video game
>good

is MTG even good nowadays?
>>
>>377436872
Not really, they started banning cards in standard, because they fucked it up so badly. The setting is also a mess. Focus tested, market research approved trope planes + superhero team, because capeshit sells.
>>
>>377408312
I'll be rolling Krenko.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.