[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Was that it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: soul reaver.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
soul reaver.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
I just finished Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Was that it?
>>
>>377401906
Aye. A last minute decision to scrap the conclusion and have a sequel left the story hanging on a cliffhanger. The next game compensates for it by having the greatest ending of any video game ever.
>>
>>377402231

So you're saying I ought to play Soul Reaver 2.
>>
>>377402296
If you managed to play through SR1 despite how dated it feels then I do recommend playing the second. Otherwise watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

It is really cool how some gameplay elements reflect the story, such as the Reaver's behaviour, but now I do not want to talk about it since I would be spoiling it for you.
>>
>>377402472

Soul Reaver felt close to broken.
I almost didn't finish the game. There was a leaver I had to pull in the second last dungeon that just wouldn't activate no matter what. I reloaded the game and it worked perfectly after that.

Is SR2 better or worse when it comes to actual playability?
>>
>>377402632
It is much more playable and there are no block puzzles. You should have no trouble playing through it after trudging through the first game.
>>
>>377402790

I don't even hate the block puzzles, I just hate how slow they were. The actual puzzle design was really good.

I'll get to playing SR2 some time then.
>>
File: Disgusted Kain.webm (2MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusted Kain.webm
2MB, 960x720px
>>377401906
That was it.

The reason why it ended like that is because Crystal Dynamics pulled the plug. Think MGS5 of the 90s.

Even though it's NeoCunts there's an extremely well researched thread there on Soul Reaver and how it was the most ambitious PS1 game and how it got changed completely within the last months of development due to Crystal Dynamics needing it out before Christmas or some shit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488564

I highly recommend giving that a read to see how Soul Reaver was supposed to be. In my opinion, it seems like the ending would make a lot better ending than what we got. I haven't played SR2 because SR1 was block puzzles the game with a betrayal of an ending, but if it came out to be like it was supposed to I'd consider SR to be one of the best games on the PS1.
>>
>>377401906
Pretty much
>>
File: kain is.jpg (116KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kain is.jpg
116KB, 640x480px
>>377402979
>>
File: fuck.jpg (74KB, 736x1102px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
74KB, 736x1102px
>>377402940
SR2 ends up in a cliffhanger too, you'll want to get Defiance if you want to finish it up
>yfw you'll never hear an antagonist voiced by Tony Jay anymore
>>
>played the original via ps3 as a ps1 classic
>loved the writing and plot, can't get past the stiff gameplay and visuals, dropped it

shame, such a good IP and it's been abandoned too
>>
>tfw there was going to be a legacy of kain game made in 2012 but it got canned

>this great series will never see a conclusion
>>
>>377403561
FUCK YOU VAMPIRE
>>
>>377403561
>tfw there was going to be a legacy of kain game made in 2012 but it got canned
Fuck you, vampire.

No thanks. It looked like fucking shit. Dead Sun was a fucking trainwreck and it wouldn't continue the original games either. Probably didn't have Amy either so it looked like and was garbage.
>>
>>377403493

The graphics are much better in the Dreamcast version.
>>
>>377403493
>>377403561
Defiance came out in 2003.
Dark Prophecy was cancelled in 2004.
Dark Sun was cancelled in 2012.
Nosgoth was cancelled in 2016.

It is for the better the last two were cancelled. I would still love a remastered edition of all four games in the franchise (not five).
>>
>>377403747
Dead Sun, my bad.

There is also a fan project to remaster Blood Omen called Blood Omnicide and a fan project to remaster Soul Reaver called Soul Revenant. They are not coming out any time soon, but at least there is a slim chance of playing them one day.
>>
https://youtu.be/Oxiq-pDbmkE?t=2m41s
>>
File: 1403575236220.jpg (181KB, 1322x306px) Image search: [Google]
1403575236220.jpg
181KB, 1322x306px
>>377403493
I didn't have any problems with the aesthetics. It was grey and green for sure, but that was the point since the world was completely fucked. The gameplay on the other hand I agree with. The amount of block puzzles in the game was fucking ridiculous and the rest of the gameplay was so-so.

My main problem was that it was clearly unfinished and had to look it up like OP if it really was over. I wondered if I had missed the other Reaver upgrades since the Fire Reaver was the only one I got. It was the only one remaining in the game. I wondered what happened with Turel who were mentioned throughout the game, he was canned due to time.

For its many flaws it is still decent thanks to the voice acting and writing. But you can't help getting salty at the end on Soul Reaver.
>>
>>377403849
>Fan made remakes
>Completing ever
Come on, how many fan made remakes have been in the works over the years? How many get completed? Fucking near zero percent.

I wouldn't mind a complete Legacy of Kain remaster like Crash Bandicoot, however I doubt that will happen with how Crystal Dynamics have thrown the series under the bus. They don't think anyone is interested, thus it will stay dead for as long as it needs to.
>>
>>377404705
You are right. For what it is worth, these two fan projects have been going on for close to a decade, so I do not expect them to give up.
>>
File: revenant.jpg (35KB, 746x597px) Image search: [Google]
revenant.jpg
35KB, 746x597px
>>377404871
Well, they made great progress recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kn0f3X7SY8
>>
File: 13124184679.jpg (168KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
13124184679.jpg
168KB, 480x600px
>>377401906
You should play all games including defiance.
The writing is top notch especially compared to today's games.
>>
So I have soul reaver 2 and despite the cutscenes and voice acting being pretty interesting the gameplay is just unbearable, is there anything you can say to persuade me to stick with it? Or something to trivialise the combat so I can rush through it?
>>
File: Cast him in.webm (2MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Cast him in.webm
2MB, 960x720px
>>377405324
>Those extremely unfinished animations
I applaud their commitment, but fuck me does this look amateurish.
>>
>>377405583
said it yourself extremely unfinished, he was showing the model in action more than anything
>>
>>377402296
>>377401906
>Is that it?
>So you're saying I should play Soul Reaver 2?
>Game literally ends with "to be continued"
>>
>>377402979
>I haven't played SR2 because SR1 was block puzzles the game

>Maybe two piss easy block puzzles in the game
>Not playing the sequel that has nothing similar
>Missing one of the best story in vidya
>>
>>377406172

SR1 was full of block puzzles m8.
>>
>>377406172
>Maybe two piss easy block puzzles in the game
Two? Jesus, you need to replay that shit because your memory is clearly not serving you well.

>Missing one of the best story in vidya
The same was said about Soul Reaver and it was a big betrayal.

I'll get around to SR2 some day. However I must say it isn't very well prioritized.
>>
>>377406304
Yeah I just realized people were calling "pulling a block over to make a jump" a "block puzzle". I thought we were only talking about the actual puzzles where you have to recreate a picture with blocks
>>
>>377406451

Pushing blocks in and out of holes, stacking blocks on top of each other etc. is present throughout the game too.
>>
>>377406391
>The same was said about Soul Reaver and it was a big betrayal.
Yeah, Soul Reaver as a series, not just SR1
It's one continous story, this isn't final fantasy
>>
I'm still buttblasted about the steam release that doesn't fucking work with controlers
>>
>>377406705
Bugged sound too. That release is a fucking sham.
>>
>>377406705
>>377406849
It straight up does not run for a lot of users.
>>
>>377406849
The PC version was always the worst. It didn't have the Playstation's dynamic music or the updated textures the Dreamcast version had.
>>
>>377406982
And they wonder why people do emulation. I had to use my PS1 one to replay the game in a satisfactory way.
>>
>>377407274

>Not playing the Dreamcast version, either on real hardware or emulated
>>
>>377406954
>Expecting 1999 game to run on modern computers
Getting Blood Omen to run is a fucking pain in the ass. Soul Reaver is not exception.
>>
>>377407353
It was just for convenience, I already had it running and with all plugins, and I don't really mind the graphics being slightly more dated. I already played it that way more than a decade ago.
Dreamcast's version is superior though, yeah.
>>
Friendly reminder the definitive version will forever be locked to a long dead console.
>>
>>377407382
Gee, in that case they should probably not be selling a product that does not even run, wouldn't you agree? If they are selling it there is the implication they at least made sure it can be played.
>>
>>377407563

how's DC emulation these days?
>>
>no remake adding all those boss fight against the brothers that was cut
>one of the best design characters
>it could be an amazing Zelda/Darksiders game

Seriously just hire people that love making games again instead of cloning more Uncharted shit.
>>
>>377402296
SR2's cutscenes are a peak of the series, you should absolutely play it. It's not as good as SR1 though.
>>
Soul Reaver was good, but it doesn't come close to the masterpiece that is Blood Omen.

This laughter: http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/File:BO1-Sound-klaugh.ogg and the Vae Victis alones makes SR pale in comparison: http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/File:BO1-Sound-VAE.ogg

Just listening to Templeman speak about "The Heart of Darkness" gives shivers down my spine. It is hard to even explain how excellent of a game Blood Omen was.
>>
>>377408457
It is really dated and playing melee is horrible. I mean, the story and voice acting are top notch, but the game itself is very clunky even by the '90s standards
>>
>>377408457
>tfw "What trickery is this?"
>>
>>377408457
Kain's one-liners in Blood Omen are golden, and should be the sole reason why someone would want to replay the entire game.

Not that the game is in any way bad, the only really "dated" thing are the cutscenes and certain parts of the artstyle, the gameplay has been pretty thought out and provides some interesting secrets to uncover.
>>
>>377403747

>The sheer amount of cancelled Legacy of Kain games.

>Dark Prophecy looked great

So did they just liked burning money on this?
>>
>>377409015
dark prophecy was just a tech demo in defiance engine and some halfbaked ideas, it was never gonna go anywhere at the time
>>
>>377403747
>>377409015
There was another game that never got off
an assfaggots
>>
>>377407563
This. I remember playing the PS1 demo and hating it. Then I picked this up and blasted through the game. It was great. Then I got the PC version and it was the PS1 all over again.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.