[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: 38f.png (149KB, 503x530px) Image search: [Google]
38f.png
149KB, 503x530px
>Something you miss about video games that you can't experience anymore (whether due to age or not being present in the industry anymore)
>A game idea you'd like made
>A single addition you'd like to make to /v/
>Most memorable /v/ moment/thread/post
>Something about video games in general you'd like to say.
>>
>>377400043
Well, did he found his video games at the end of the tunnel?
>>
>>377400080
Don't know
>>
I miss being bad at games despite still playing them a shitload.

Me and my brothers and friends got super competitive with Mortal Kombat and a few other games, and we'd all meet up and play each other and have a blast. Now if I try to get any of my irl friends into fightan or competitive games they're going to most likely be shit, and it won't be fun for them to play me.

Playing online vs strangers with no voice isnt the same, and I'm not good enough to climb to top ranks, just good enough to beat normies.
>>
>I miss console rpgs like Digital Devil Saga and >platformers like sly
>Revolver based shooter
>isp bans given to anyone who only shitposts
>Splatoon is new meme
>They aint dead or anywhere near, sjw shit will kill itself soon, pc is still great, emulation is good, piracy is not theft and the paid online for consoles was exclusively the consumers fault.
>>
>Something you miss about video games that you can't experience anymore (whether due to age or not being present in the industry anymore)

Lemme tell you what that is

I have gone through 3 gaming circles. Every night or every weekend wed game. My first circle: TF2 when it was new, l4d, etc. My second circle: i dont remember. My 3rd circle: gtao, killing floor, buncha other games

They all moved on and i dont know why. I go into gtao and other games and i sit there. I just look at my empty accomplishments. I had the best group to play with and none of it matters now because theyre gone.

I miss them. Its just me now.
>>
>>377400080
>>
>>377400043
Can we talk about Ito instead?
>>
>>377400590
This made me sad.
>>
>>377400968
I think he has great art but his stories always shit the bed and become comical in their ridiculousness.
>>
>>377401241
Especially when he's doing super short or super long stories.
Like, Uzumaki had a nice beginning but was spiraling OH SHIET into ridiculous dimensions.
And then he has bullshit things like that story where a guy just suddenly happens to be trapped beneath a principal post under his house and just dies. Like, there's nothing in it. No story, no development, just bullshit.
>>
>>377400043
>Something you miss about video games
The ability to be impressed by graphics. I can still be impressed by good art direction and visuals, but increases of graphical fidelity just do nothing for me.
Also, being first blown off my feet by good videogame narratives. Those first fourth-wall breaking, the first actually psychological tales... it blew my head because it was unexpected from the medium. Can't relive that anymore.

Actually good exploration-focused open world RPG. A spiritual sequel to Morrowind. That is the single most painfully ignored and overlooked concept in the industry.

Actual fucking moderation.

The most memorable positive shit: probably old IPL threads and that VladWorth guy discussion.
The most memorable bad shit: the worst shit I've seen here that just stuck to my head were old-school Halo fanboys back around 2010-ish. I've seen a lot of shit around here, but the memory of a guy calling Homeworlds opening / Fleet departure scene's music "completely generic hollywood pseudo-orchestral garbage" still cracks me up.

Gaming industry has been in general greatly improving of the last five or six years on most fronts. Gaming audience, however, is quickly becoming worse. What we once though was an industry nearly killed by greedy and assholish publishers is now being strangled by insecure, hostile and mentally ill audiences instead.
And that is fucking sad.
>>
File: born to feel.jpg (180KB, 1203x1447px)
born to feel.jpg
180KB, 1203x1447px
>Something you miss about video games that you can't experience anymore
Split screen multiplayer with friends. This isn't even due to modern games not having the option, I just don't play multiplayer in general and don't use consoles. Was pretty comfy though desu.
I've got way too many. Most of my dumb game ideas from when I was a teenager evolved into more reasonable projects someone in game dev could actually make. More then anything, I would want to make a game with a vibrant community.
Better posters. Kind of a meme response but it's true, this board could be 10x better with less toxic players.
n/a
I think they're great. I wish people who make dumb pretentious story games would stop acting like they're the pinnacle of gaming and retards on /v/ stop saying "games wer bedder when dey were juz toyz >:/" and other dumb shit like that.
>>
>>377401007
Makes me sad too bro. Not much i can do but wait for the cycle to start again
>>
>>377401432
>Actually good exploration-focused open world RPG. Spiritual sequel to Morrowind.
Was Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 no enough for you? They are all pretty much exactly the same.
>>
>>377401396
I believe the principal post was just meant as a joke about the fate of men who support the family.
Uzumaki vol 3 did go full retard though.
>>
>>377401241
>>377401396
Funny, because I enjoy his works PRECISELY because of that. Ito is one of the very few people who can tap into that original folklore form of fear. A lot of his stories are either directly based on, or at least emulate urban horror stories that circulate among kids and teenagers, or stem from bad dreams. Very few authors can do it, and very few other authors show us a look into a horror folklore and imagination of a very different culture. It's pretty interesting. Though he does make a little too much of them: a lot of them will end up being weak just because it's impossible to maintain certain quality at certain volumes.

If there is ONE thing that Ito did really, really poorly, it's sci-fi. Deathstar Remina is just pure shit. Gyo, Uzumaki and those really short stories about shit like ghosts tickling people to death are where he is at his absolute best.
>>

Dead Space with souls mechanics, tons of bosses.
Replace the bloodstain with a necro of your old body that you have to kill to get your credits back and have bonfires be instant cloning station or something like that.
>>
>>377400043
playing to do something i want to do instead of striving towards an achievement in the game/100%
stop holding my hand, i'll figure the fucking game out or read the help menu. if you have unskippable cutscenes, and each new game locks down my controls until I have 30 seconds of some asshole telling me what to press and then congratulating me between what each button does, you're a shit game and not getting replayed
the FUCK do developers do that for? nobody is NEW to video games, nobody picks up a controller nowadays and doesn't try each button to look for things. "they're trying to appeal to normies!" no I don't think so, they already have your money. and kids? they were smart enough to figure out games as kids, from commodore to now, they have free time to figure this crap out. I hate forced tutorials.
>>
>>377401604
Only one of those games was anywhere near that concept, and that is New Vegas. The rest was absolutely nothing like Morrowind. Also they were just pain out bad games. Also happens to be THE ONLY ONE on that list not done by the exact same fucking studio (and it was still based on their technology and supervision).
So yeah, if anything that just shows how incredibly potential format it is and how utterly ignored it is.
>>
>>377401637
Yeah like, don't get me wrong, I do like the absurdness of his stories. But I feel like one has to be aware that it's shit and not pretend that it's something it's not.

Reminds me of his "I need that shit" story. That was the shit.
>>
>>377401798

What do you mean? All of them have similar gameplay.
>Go around and explore a (mostly empty) world
>Talk to characters, limited chat options
>A couple ways to build characters
>More action oriented and usually pretty bad gameplay then a CRPG

I fail to see how Morrowind is somehow leagues better. They're almost all the same. You've yet to prove otherwise. I assume its just nostalgia goggles.
>>
File: launchpad.jpg (182KB, 700x1063px)
launchpad.jpg
182KB, 700x1063px
Old school MMOs. Not the gameplay, but the atmosphere. Now in MMOs, everyone just looks up everything on the wiki immediately and people are only focused on the grind. Back in the day, people didn't know anything about the game and anything and everything was learned from word of mouth, there were no wikis where you could look stuff up, you either had a friend who knew a lot about the game or you explored and adventured and learned more. Everyone in game also would always talk to each other, nowadays people either don't talk because they're too busy optimally grinding or are just only talk with their friends.That true sense of adventure can never return to the genre with how the internet is now.
An online game with similar gameplay to Melee. There needs to be something that's both quality and similar to melee physics wise on the market.
Mods who will actually delete obvious bait, flame, reddit, tumblr, /pol/, console war, and troll threads instead of letting that shit ruin the board. Right now it feels like there's one autist Nintenbro mod who will just delete any Nintendo hate and leave everything else.
There's so many that it's hard to decide but I'd have to say it's when we rigged the Gamespot character poll so that the grand finals were Launchpad McQuack vs Albert Einstein. I wish I still had all the propaganda images and screencaps of butthurt salt from back then saved but my hard drive crashed, they were incredible.
Video games are great and the "video games are bad" meme is killing /v/
>>
>>377401940
The thing about Ito is that his stories are a lot less absurd than they seem. In fact, many of them are far more grounded in human psychology than what most western horror presents. In west, horror has been largely santized, abstracted. In Ito's works, you can see what you could also see in very old kaidans: horror stemming from insecurities and much more intuitive and imaginative.

It seems silly or absurd to use because we had been basically taught to ignore these kinds of horror-related sentiments, and we expect punctuated, schematic dramatic arks and abstracted concepts of fear in our horror fiction: so we are confused by actual kaidans and Ito's work, and we call it "absurd". But it' not absurd.
>>
File: 1474768615668.jpg (44KB, 448x537px)
1474768615668.jpg
44KB, 448x537px
>>377400518

Damn, that's an interesting one. With the coming of online it seems like people aren't as willing to start mini-competitive scenes just among their circle of friends. Not that it doesn't exist anymore but definitely seems rarer.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (123KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
123KB, 1280x720px
>Something you miss about video games that you can't experience anymore (whether due to age or not being present in the industry anymore

I'm gonna miss CPS-2 and 3 fighting games. They had a very special atmosphere I love to go back to. Alpha 2 and SFIII double impact are like my special places I always feel comfortable into.

Actually what I miss the most are games from the 90ties.
I remember in the 90ties you had to look fresh to be cool.
New century was all about edgelords (Shadow The Edgelord anyone?).
>>
>>377400043
> Feeling of understanding and mastering complicated mechanic as a kid. I got pretty shallow.
> Isometric RPG/choice game where you get stuck in city affected by plague. With a timer. You can try to lead people outside of the city. You can succumb to carnal desires. You can try to find a cure. You can try to find who is guilty for that. With similiar kind of character transition Plague by Camus had. Plus make it magical reality setting with you discussing why these people don't deserve to die with a sad devil/notdevil over a cup of tea.
> Consolewars thread to contain all the autist.
> Tile fetishist.
> I like videogames but I don't like the direction that market took. Japan is waifu-pandering. West is liberal-pandering. It's sad to watch.
>>
>>377402587
> I like videogames but I don't like the direction that market took. Japan is waifu-pandering. West is liberal-pandering. It's sad to watch.

THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>377400043
>something you miss about video games
Liking any game, how shit it may be, because video games are still new to you.

Going through games unspoiled. Most of the time I do this to myself, but you can't stay unspoiled for story-based games. Even at sites not directly at games it still becomes spoiled.

>>377400968
I don't know what to think about Ito. If he's going for creepy, he isn't doing a good job. His only works I read that made me feel some tense are the Licking Woman and the one with the balloons.
>>
File: 1473888970304.jpg (277KB, 600x840px)
1473888970304.jpg
277KB, 600x840px
>>377400043
>Something you miss about video games
Unique locations without shittons of copy-pasted assets and items. It doesn't matter if the locations are small, just make them unique. Give us unique items instead of gozillions of same weapons and armor types with same movesets but just slightly different stats.

A game in The Thing universe, session-based like battle royal, snowy locations, say 32 players 3-6 of which start as infected, and some survivors start with weapons, some with flamethrowers (effective against things), some with guns (very ineffective against things).

Survivors need to reach a certain location in order to escape and can't let the things reach it at the same time. In order to move faster, they can repair vehicles. In some cases you have to repair vehicles in order to not get frozen while moving to the objective.

The idea is somewhat similar to Trouble in Terrorist Town from Garry's mod.
>>
>>377402096
I have to say, I'm getting really fucking sick of this "well I don't see it therefor it must not exist!" retards. It's always the same fucking shit. How many millions of words were already wasted by those tens of thousands of people disproving this bullshit? You are blind, you are dumb, you are retarded, you simply aren't able to pay attention to important details of both design and narrative direction if you don't see the major difference between those games. I'm taking a break from trying to explain this shit once again here. Go watch MrBtongues videos on this subject or some shit, and fuck off.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.