[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why DID they stop production on the Nintendo Classic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

he /v/ After reading some rumors about Nintendo possibly making a SNES classic later down the line.
Why did the stop making the classic or why did they make so little of them?

I remember reading or watching a few months back that the Classic was merely a promotional tool for the Switch and that they were sold at a loss because of it.

I wish I could find that source again that said this so maybe someone here has a source on that
>>
>>377393982
It was a neat little collectors item put up for a short time. That's it, it wasn't supposed to be a permanent thing they'd support for a couple years.
>>
To make way for the SNES classic

SCREENCAP THIS
>>
you mentionned it yourself, it was promotional and wasn't meant to be produced in the long run
>>
>>377393982
>Why did the stop making -insert item here-

Nintendo likes to release things with as little copies as possible to generate maximum interest and fierce buying and it has worked wonders for them. People still go fucking crazy for Amiibos with the latest run always selling out in seconds of going up, same thing happened with the Switch as well.
>>
>>377394086
Wasn't this already rumored/confirmed/whatever?
>>
NES Classic was made to
1. Get rid of some excess stock and cheap parts. That controller cable is blatantly a re-purposed nunchuck cable.
2. Keep the Nintendo brand in people's minds over an otherwise quiet Christmas. If they had known about the massive boost Pokemon Go was going to give the 3DS it might have never been made.

Nip companies do these limited promotional runs all the time. It gets your name out there, and gives you a guaranteed small profit. Only a complete retard would expect Nintendo to make 20 million of them.
>>
>>377394317
Nah, the amiibo situation has calmed down a lot. You can actually get a hold of the damn things now.
>>
This may or may not be the source you're looking for: https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com

It's the first place I read that claim anyway. Dont have the post but you can search the archive there yourself.
>>
>>377394317
Yeah this. It's all about building a huge demand. They want people to have to wait to buy them
>>
>>377394757
You clearly do not follow it at all. MM Link, TP Link, SS Link all sold out seconds after going up. Same with both versions of Cloud.
>>
>>377397349
That's just specific amiibo being popular though.
I remember when if it wasn't Mario, Luigi or Peach, you couldn't fucking find any at all. The whole line was virtually non-existent in stores.
>>
>>377394317
>Switch

16 million / 52 weeks = ~300k units a week. Japanese Switch sales in March = 21% of all Switch sales in March. Japanese average Switch sales in a week = 50k. 50k / 0.21 = 240k units a week.

Not that far a stretch, really.
>>
Because Nintendo is retarded
>>
doesnt this thing have worse imput lag than a retropie?
>>
>>377394317
>has worked wonders for them
No one has really been able to satisfactorily explain how selling less of something, purposefully, is better than selling more of something. At some point, you eventually have to actually fucking meet demand or else all that "maximum interest" doesn't mean squat.
>>
>>377401364
When you meet demand your brand becomes worthless. Amiibo are textbook beanie babies.
>>
>>377395078
Yeah, except they never have any plans to actually follow through on releasing more. Everyone I know wanted one, and no one I know has one yet. Meanwhile the sega genesis equivalent always in stock. People are waking up to this bullshit.
>>
File: smug old hack.png (63KB, 258x223px) Image search: [Google]
smug old hack.png
63KB, 258x223px
>>377393982
Artificial scarcity to create demand for their products. If Nintendo must be credited with anything, it's them being the highest tier professional jews. It's one of the few and smaller reasons, among the large and many that I don't support them anymore. Tired of their shit.
>>
>>377397476
When they come out with new Amiibo they're basically impossible to find for at least 6 months due to limited stock and scalpers. This happens with basically every Nintendo product.
>>
>>377393982
wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an actual NES and a flash cart? it's been a few years but i got a refurbished SNES on ebay for like 50 leaf dollars, and i know flash carts aren't that expensive
>>
Feels good to found a Mini NES in a local Market new for 30 bucks, between modern music and woman stuff
>>
>raspberrypi master race
>>
>>377394086
>screencapping something that's nearly guaranteed/anyone could have guessed
I'd get an N64 classic though. N64 emulation will permanently be shit until the end of time.
>>
>>377401614
I don't see the effectiveness of this strategy. I'm sure it creates hype for a certain period of time, but you also create threshold where frustration overcomes desire because the hype isn't actually capitalized on, i.e. the product waits too long to become available.

Personally I've been ready to put money down for the switch and the NES classic but to this day have neither. That's twice Nintendo could have had my money but doesn't, and I've seen many available switches in store since then but haven't wanted it much now.

I'm sure it works well enough if they allegedly keep doing it, though.
>>
>>377393982
It was a limited run to begin with. It was just a holiday toy.

I still don't understand why people are so assblasted about these things. I had one for a few weeks and sold it and made $200 profit.
>>
>>377393982
My guess: Limited time 3rd-party licenses they didn't want to bother trying to extend.

After all they would have to likely re-do it all anyway for a model 2.
>>
>>377393982
So that Switch Virtual Console is relevant.
>>
>>377402170
Probably because it was never advertised as a limited run and thousands of people never even saw it available in a store to begin with.

It's still advertised on their website.
>>
File: free shrugs.png (159KB, 549x437px) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.png
159KB, 549x437px
>>377402076
>Personally I've been ready to put money down for the switch and the NES classic but to this day have neither.

You said it yourself my dude.
>>
>>377393982
Because they didn't make much money per unit, it's competing with the much more profitable Switch VC, and people figured out how to upload new games to it via USB cable.

>>377394317
Anon the dumbshit artificial scarcity theory only makes sense if they flood the market with product when demand has peaked.

It also doesn't make sense for the Switch, which they're manufacturing a good number of and which they make money off of from games and accessories.
>>
>>377401820
This. The N64 one is the only one I care about
>>
>>377403034
Right, but was it an effective strategy after all if I bought neither?
>>
If they were actually smart they would do a standalone N64 Classic since its the thing that still cant be properly emulated and from what ive read the retron wont get a n64 slot until 2020 due to some copyright thing
>>
File: 1386443765556.jpg (29KB, 374x250px) Image search: [Google]
1386443765556.jpg
29KB, 374x250px
>>377403793
I think anon missed the part where you said you were later able to find one but didn't care by that point any more. They just sort of stopped where you said you did want to buy them, assuming this supported their point about it driving up interest.
>>
>>377402525
>My guess: Limited time 3rd-party licenses they didn't want to bother trying to extend.
That's an interesting theory.
>>
>>377393982
There's no way they were sold at a loss. But the profit margins probably weren't as high as with other products (like the Switch and eShop games) that they'd rather be selling.
>>
>>377394317
>same thing happened with the Switch as well.
>"Hello consumers, only 2 million Nintendo Switch systems exist in za wuordo. Now watch as the two million people who own it get to enjoy the games you can't play anywhere they want"
Baka desu.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.