[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The flashing reflective glass is 1 inch in front of your retina

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: VR.jpg (192KB, 1108x737px) Image search: [Google]
VR.jpg
192KB, 1108x737px
don't you think this mess up with your nervous system? there are many flashing images that cause convulsions and mental problems
>>
No
If you're prone to seizures then you're fucked no matter what screen to use. but for most people there's no real issue.
>>
>>377387751
regardless if you have seizures, the optic nerve contains 1.1 million fibers
You have a flash lightnings and fast images moving very close to your eyes
>>
File: lenses.png (9KB, 781x235px) Image search: [Google]
lenses.png
9KB, 781x235px
>>377387668
well i mean if anything the curved glass if refracting the light into a less damaging shape.. like a cone going round the eye instead of just bombarding it... its like how glasses dont fry your eyes when you look at the sun
>>
>>377387905
I hope you realize that if you were ever to leave youre mom's basement and go to a nightclub, there are lots of flashing lights and there isn't a huge pile of people on the floor having seizures.
>>
>>377387905
Our eyes don't decide if a level of light is blinding based on distance.
>>
This is ongoing research, whatever people spout in this thread the real answer is no one really knows what effects extensive use of VR could cause in the long term.

Unless anyone here is an expert in the field and is currently working in the research efforts, which I really doubt.
>>
File: black-man-shrugging.jpg (97KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
black-man-shrugging.jpg
97KB, 425x282px
>>377388284
no but I have the vive and use it every day pretty much... like.. for a couple of years now, I also had the oculus dk1 which had even shitter lenses, my eyes feel the same as they did back then but i mean thats just me i suppose.
>>
>>377387905
You are very dumb
>>
>>377387668
It's funny that wearing the headset is the same as having your own eye lens removed during the cataract surgery and replaced with artificial one. People who have undergone such operation completely lose accommodation, same happens while you wear a vr headset.
>>
>>377388005
but I went to nightclubs when I was younger and it really affected my nervous system due to the extreme 110db music and stupid bright lights that gave me headaches for weeks
>>
>>377389180
lol loser
>>
File: swdgf.jpg (29KB, 517x495px) Image search: [Google]
swdgf.jpg
29KB, 517x495px
>>377389028
its funny that you have the same grammar mannerisms as OP... and again your eyes lens is still intact and right where it should be, its not removed, altered or damaged in any way. It's simply a magnifying lens that bends the screens light so that you can view it in a 180 degree dome shape.. why is this hard to understand? you have a phone with the same size screen that you view every day
>>
>>377389306
>why is this hard to understand
I don't know, but it seems there are still people like you who have never heard about vergence-accommodation conflict in VR.
>>
>>377389306
so you have a very bright light and fast objects moving in front of your eyes. Who said the distance of the source does not play an important role in the eyesight deterioration?
>>
>>377389514
>Focus cues and visual fatigue
Prolonged use of conventional 3D displays produces viewer fatigue and discomfort (Emoto, Niida, & Okano, 2005; Takada, 2006; Takaki, 2003; Wann & Mon-Williams, 2002; Yano, Emoto, & Mitsuhashi, 2004). It has often been claimed that the symptoms are caused by the dissociation between vergence and accommodation that is required in such displays (Emoto et al., 2005; Ukai, 2007; Wann & Mon-Williams, 1997; Yano et al., 2004). Emoto et al. (2005) observed symptoms of fatigue when observers viewed stimuli with a larger conflict between the vergence and the focal distances. Wann and Mon-Williams (2002) reported a pre-test versus post-test change in the cross-link functions (AC/A and CA/C ratios) after prolonged viewing of a 3D display; they also observed an increase in fatigue

can we include VR in that category?
>>
>>377389742
Of course, since you are still looking at the flat screen.
>>
>>377389514
>vergence-accommodation
ok so this argument seems to be relying on the fact that a 2d screen will not show the lens blur around the edge of the screen meaning you'll become un-adjusted to real lifes blending around the edge of vision. But as a user of VR I can tell you that most headsets, (vive and oculus) have a curved lens, meaning that the light isnt directly going into your eyes in a straight line, see >>377387967
the first one shows how the lens works, the light is bent meaning your eyes detect it at the side of your vision putting it into the blurred zone, you dont suddenly get 20/20 vision while using the headset, the rules of your eyes still apply.

>>377389540

you're brain can handle the amount of information its taking in when using the headset, as long as you're not epileptic or something. they also use a dim screen placed at an adjustable distance so that you can make it right for your own specific eye needs. They even come with lenses designed for people who need glasses for fuck sake, have you even used one?
>>
>>377389975
>have you even used one?
No and I don't plan to. This shit looks like a glorified virtual boy (i'm talking health related because virtual boy caused many serious health issues)
I'm 33 and I never used glasses in my life because I take care of my eyes very well. I don't even play games in any CRT for many years.
Also the lack of studies is a concern. The scientific community make studies about irrelevant stuff every day and not a single study about VR was published
>>
>>377390201
>thinking 'taking care of your eyes' reflects on glasses.

Nigger short sighted/long sighted are both genetic conditions you know
>>
>>377389975
>2d screen will not show the lens blur around the edge
That's not what accommodation is. It's one of the main depth measurement mechanisms that our eyes have along with convergence. But in VR accommodation doesn't work and is uncoupled from convergence, like if you had eye surgery. So not only you can't control your accommodation anymore, it also feeds wrong distance to the brain, confusing it with what convergence shows.
>>
>>377390201
>I'm 33 and I never used glasses in my life because I take care of my eyes very well. I don't even play games in any CRT for many years.
You're a fucking moron
>>
>>377390339
yeah I do know that but most people either use glasses or develop eye problems due to abuse
>>
>>377390412
back to blebbit faggot
>>
>>377387668
>Neuroscientists are required to playtest the hardware in order to avoid major health issues
>But i know better than all of them

You will be fine
>>
File: Jesus, take the wheel.jpg (29KB, 700x757px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus, take the wheel.jpg
29KB, 700x757px
>>377390201
i played outside a lot as a kid, and would spend hours swimming outside in lakes and oceans
thanks to the glare from the sun, i now need glasses
you'd better stay in your fucking basement you dirty neet, otherwise the big bad sun will fuck you up
>>
this thread is fucking ridiculous... you're going to live a life without experiencing the advances in technology. You dont get to go back and try it, you dont get to experience it after death, you will avoid this information in your life out of fear?

you're are a wasted life
>>
>>377390530
>I don't have an argument so /leddit/ meme
Not him but you're a goddamned retard if you think that going to distract anyone from the stupid shit you've been spewing this thread
>>
>>377390728
>Neuroscientists
every single week there is a scientific "company" or a neuroscientist pleading guilty or under investigation for fraudulent study
>>
>>377390834
>you're
>inb4 you fucks
>>
>>377387668
VR displays literally cause autism, it was proven by a study.
>>
>>377390845
>distract anyone from the stupid shit you've been spewing this thread
such as?
>>
>>377390834
>you dont get to experience it after death
It doesn't matter at that point so who cares?
>>
>>377390957
are you not smart enough to understand referencing, he means everything you've fucking said
>>
>>377390934
>get all my vaccines
>play a nice game on my new VR headset
>suddenly I'm diagnosed with autism
This is a cruel world
>>
>>377391030
because existence wont exist
so for that exact point you have to care during this life as this is the only time you can care
otherwise as i said, a wasted life
you dont get to experience this shit again, once its gone its gone
>>
>>377391040
there are 100 threads in the catalog that will fit your elite taste
>>
I use a 'vr' headset for something non vidya and haven't experienced eye fatigue. Granted the colors are more muted and less flashy.
>>
>>377391126
nigga fuck you, i respect people who think rationally and want to accept new information, not dense motherfuckers like yourself that live in your own little bubble.
>>
>>377391108
It's not wasted if I don't care is it?
>>
>>377391287
if you dont care then i believe its wasted
you don't have to agree
>>
>>377387668
>convulsions and mental problems
Only if you're already fucked up.
>>
File: aee.png (97KB, 214x273px) Image search: [Google]
aee.png
97KB, 214x273px
>>377390412
>I don't even play games in any CRT for many years.
Are you seriously implying CRTs somehow damage eyesight? Are you some sort of fucking soccermom?
>>
>>377391227
what information have you presented?
You are saying that the distance of the flat panel/glass source is irrelevant
Can you back it up?
>>
>>377390834
>let's strap a monitor to your eyes!
>advances in technology
>>
>>377391495
they cause headache and my eyes almost bleed after a few seconds
I used to play some pal games in a 50/60hz TV and I could really notice the screen refreshing. It's really bad for the eyes.
>using soccermom meme in this context which soccermoms have no idea what a CRT is
>>
>>377391501
well i cant exactly show you 3 years of usage can i? I can just say to you that from personal experience I, a person who uses the Vive currently and the oculus before dont have issues telling the difference between 3d aspects of life and 2d aspects of life, viewing the 2d screen for prolonged amounts of time haven't led to any issues re-adjusting back to real world conditions. The screen distance and brightness hasn't done any noticeable damage either, So i really dont know what to fucking tell you. If you're scared you'll fall deep into a VR trance where everything looks 5 inches infront of you then i can assure you this doesn't happen.

But again, you're not gonna accept this information are you? you're also never gonna go out of you're way to test your side of thinking, so why fucking bother asking it in the first place? You will never know the god damned answer if you never try.
>>
>>377391654
>use CRTs for years
>never play anything over 60hz
>sit less than a foot away from the monitor
>eyes are still fine
It's almost as if you had some sort of pre-existing condition that worsened because you had no idea how to care for it
>>
>>377391794
>But again, you're not gonna accept this information are you?
I just want to question why people have said the past 20 years that you should not be very close to a monitor and now they are simply saying 1 inch from your eyes is safe.
Too much to ask?
>>
>>377391589
you realise its more than just a screen strapped to your eyes right? it has two camera's measuring distance from the headset, fucking laser based tracking boxes on each end of the room to scan the size and shape, and two motion controllers which are pretty damn accurate.

or i mean, yeah, just a screen strapped to your face
>>
>>377391857
well in 50hz and 60hz I can notice the screen refreshing. I remember when I got a 85hz pc monitor I actually felt some improvement but unfortunately I never had the chance to play PS1/PS2 games in anything other than 50/60hz
>>
>>377391890
>>>>>>>>>>>>>people
Because they're morons that don't understand display technology or optometry. I bet you think microwaves give you cancer and MSG is some sort of deadly chemical weapon too.
>>
>>377391890
because as i said before the light isnt fucking direct into your eyes, its bent around the curve so that you can view it in a 180 degree dome. So your eyes not just being bombarded with light radiation point blank, do you think they just made a headset and then just released it without any development time at all? the people who made these things have been using them for years along with the customers who buy them. If they caused serious damage then at this point they wouldn't be sold.
>>
>>377392029
everyone, from manufacturer manuals to every health organization and doctors (not that I trust them but anyway) claim you shouldn't be too close to your screen
>>
>>377392215
Give me an example then.
>>
File: 1469103197961.jpg (26KB, 441x411px) Image search: [Google]
1469103197961.jpg
26KB, 441x411px
>>377387905
>>
>>377392029

>implying microwaves dont cause cancer
>implying MSG isnt used to enslave kids to junkfood and ruins their dopaminergic systems throughout their childhood

If you don't understand science, don't talk about it.
>>
>>377392263
example of what? is this a myth? I'm honestly asking. If you have information regarding the distance from display I'd appreciate it
>>
>>377392215
yeah a god damn 30 inch screen on full brightness wont be good for your eyes when your eyes are right next to them, but a 18 inch screen with dimmed brightness and a dispersed light being emitted will not do shit to your eyes
>>
>>377392368
>example of what?
Health organizations and doctors supporting your claim.
>>
File: 400px-EM-spectrum.svg.png (20KB, 400x282px) Image search: [Google]
400px-EM-spectrum.svg.png
20KB, 400x282px
>>377392351
>>implying microwaves dont cause cancer
Explain how non-ionizing radiation causes cancer then.
>>
>>377388465
Fucking bullshit, there are no games for that thing.
>>
>>377391983
>it has two camera's measuring distance from the headset
But not position of your pupils, which is super important, yet ignored.
>fucking laser based tracking boxes
Which is mechanical shit locked to 60 rev/s, compared to optical methods, where you can have up to 200 or even more samples. And was designed only for stupid roomscale kinect shit, instead of actual games.
> controllers which are pretty damn accurate
Useless kinect shit. And they have fairly poor precision.

Also the fact that there are still no high resolution displays so they are pretty useless for my flight sims, because you literally can't see shit.
>>
>>377388080
ding ding ding we have a winner.
>>
>>377392408
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-sitting-too-close-to-screen-making-you-blind/
https://web.archive.org/web/20070416054304/https://opto.ca/en/public/04_eye_info/04_02_05_computers.asp
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/electronic-gadgets-making-kids-nearsighted/story?id=13752737

> Although there are many factors pointing to the correlation of increased electronic use and increased population with nearsightedness, there has been no concrete evidence of the relationship being causal. Chuck says, “although there is no direct evidence, there does exist highly suggestive laboratory and clinical data, and it just makes sense.”

I'm aware recently this has been marketed as a "myth" but no explanation given.
>>
>>377393024
>and it just makes sense
This is how you know someone is a failure as a scientist.
>>
>>377393024
>alleviating eye strain and myopia in chinks
Good thing I've never felt any eye strain and also am not a chink.
>>
>>377393204
for some obscure reason there is no tests in the VR and if it's harmless or not. common sense plays a big role when the lack of information exist.
>>
>>377393421
>common sense
For common sense to work you actually need to fucking understand the situation. You have no idea what causes eye damage and what doesn't.
>>
>>377393586
>Just eye fatigue little friend, no permanent damage
yeah right.
>>
>>377393804
Explain how bombarding your eyes with light from a screen is any different than bombarding your eyes with light from the sun then.
>>
>>377387905
YOU KNOW A TV SCREEN IS FLICKERING LIKE 3000 TIMES A SECOND RIGHT?
>>
>>377387905
>flash lightnings and fast images
>flash lightnings
Are you some sort of kraut? Also what the fuck does distance have to do with anything?
>>
>>377392602
what for dk1? nigga there was a full community, you were given a free copy of unity made for dk1 for fuck sake, im not saying it was vr like it is now, but it was still a monitor that close to the eyes with motion control
>>
>new technology comes out
>there's too many people supporting this, I better be a luddite contrarian because it's new and I'm afraid of it and want to feel like a free thinking individual
Enjoy not escaping your flesh prison when we get cybernetics
>>
>>377393865
really?

>>377393421
information does exist, the headset fucking exists so of course information exists, you just gotta go try one and see for youself otherwise you dont really have a valid argument. It's like giving a review for a blender you havent used or been in contact with, instead you've just watched videos and read things on the blender... you see how stupid that is right? you need to fucking try it
>>
>>377390885
That's both a lie and not an argument.
>>
>>377394508
>really
No not really because it's just fucking light and you can't explain the difference because there is none, unless we're counting shit like UV radiation which the headset can not emit.
>>
>>377387668
> nervous system
This is how you spot a retard.
They try have no idea what they're talking about so they use terms that have a broad coverage.

oh my god, this vr device fucked up my spine
help i cant get up
>>
>>377393865
>>377394645
Read up
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3144654/
>>
>>377395919
>medical lasers, eye damage in albino rats, and age related optical degradation
If it had something talking about daily casual interaction with normal artificial light sources you might have almost been on to something.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.