[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Improvements in the JRPG genre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1456797665089.png (278KB, 706x412px) Image search: [Google]
1456797665089.png
278KB, 706x412px
Nostalgia aside, as much as I love the SNES/PS1 classics, surely we can all agree that modern JRPGs are vastly superior to their predecessors, right?

Not only do they tend to have features that the classics lacked (Voice acting, innovative combat systems even for turn-based games), but the writing (both in terms of scenario writing and the dialogue quality itself) are significantly improved nowadays.

Back in the old days, the games used to do really shitty, gimmicky things like make characters "swear" a lot or use really stupid accents in order to try to differentiate characters from each other. Nowadays, we have amazing games like Trails in the Sky with written dialogue that is of such high quality that the characters individual personalities are effectively fleshed out simply through the conversations themselves. That's just one example of a series that does it particularly well, but generally we've seen improvements in that area even in games that are weaker such as Persona and the Tales of series.

Keep in mind, when I say this, I mean serious story-driven JRPGs, not stuff like Neptunia/Atelier/Moe shit in general.
>>
Not enough console wars to get /v/'s attention, huh?
>>
>>377374327
No, fuck you.
>>
>>377374327
/v/ sure likes to be contrarian, but they do love their weeabshit. Fuck off.
>>
>>377374327
There are no serious story-driven JRPGs left unless you mean trash like FF15 and Type 0
>>
File: 1493638392783.jpg (112KB, 696x783px) Image search: [Google]
1493638392783.jpg
112KB, 696x783px
>>377378253
>There are no serious story-driven JRPGs left

>he hasn't played Automata
>>
>>377378491
Not really story driven. It's a set of sparsely connected quests with a narrative thread rather than the typical FF moviegame.
>>
Inciting discussion on this in /v/ (nostalgia central) of all places won't do you much good.

But I agree. Older pre-FFVII JRPGs were especially very shallow in every way with just a gimmick or two in both combat and characters to try to make it interesting. For example people pretend to act like Kefka is some amazing villain, but take away the colorful surface gimmicks and what do you get? Generic "he's cuhhraaaaazzzeeee" cartoonish evil villain. Or how broken FFVIII's Junction system was for a combat one.

But ever since, the level of customization and depth available from systems like SMT's Press Turn, Dragon Quest IX's class system, Final Fantasy XIII series' admittedly weak start but mid-endgames that further upped the intensity on the series' unique strategic yet quick thinking gameplay, etc. that make perviously braindead, straightforward grindy JRPG gameplay into something much more engaging.
>>
>voice acting
>good thing
>>
>>377378253
>xv is trash even though I havnt played it@
kys
>>
>>377378817
>but take away the colorful surface gimmicks and what do you get? Generic "he's cuhhraaaaazzzeeee" cartoonish evil villain.

>Kefka: Embrace your destruction... It is the fate of all things.
>Party: To be destroyed? Maybe it is! But people can always rebuild, and new
> lives will always be born!
>Kefka: And time will destroy all of those as well. Why do people insist on
> creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people
> cling to life, knowing that they must someday die? ...Knowing that
> none of it will have meant anything once they do?

u wut
>>
>>377378253
There's someone talking about Trails in the Sky in this very thread. You've also got Xenoblade, Persona and stuff like that. Story-driven RPGs are in a better place than they've ever been. Sounds like you're just stuck in the past and refuse to branch out if you're focused on Final Fantasy like that.
>>
>>377380531
Purse Owner is character focused rather than story focused. Xenoblade was alright until X and they destroyed the story in that. Trails games are from like 2006 unless you're talking the PS3 ones which one should play through the previous titles before jumping into, and they're 100+ hour behemoths if you want to talk to everyone and do everything, so forgive me for not being able to get through them fast enough
>>
>>377380927
Have you played P5? There's a lot of character stuff, yeah, but they made the story much bigger and more exciting this time.

I understand if you didn't like XCX, but what little story there was managed to be pretty enthralling. X2 looks like it'll have a bigger story focus like the first one anyway.

I'll pay the age argument on Trails in the Sky, but that doesn't change the fact that the the rest of the series is planned to continue telling the biggest story video games have ever seen for another seven or so games.
>>
If P5 is anything to go by, kys.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.