[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Puzzles that should never exists in adventure games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 14

File: broken-sword-goat.jpg (276KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
broken-sword-goat.jpg
276KB, 640x480px
>Musical puzzles. I have no aural skill, I can't tell pitches and tones for shit. Different sounds and noises are fine but everytime there's actual musical notes I have to look up a walkthrough.

>The same puzzle twice. Having to redo the hexipal in Broken Age or the last puzzle in Myst 4 added absolutely nothing of value.

>Puzzles where your character has to die to unlock the solution. Fucking Meljanz man.

>Mazes. They don't take any particular skill , they're just an exercise in patience. If you have to put one at least spice it up or make it pretty to look at, like the glass labyrinth in Sorcerer or the forest in Memoria.

>Texture hunting. Pixel hunting didn't die with 3D, I spent hours in Gabriel Knight 3 looking for Wilke's footprints all over dozens of low-res locales.

>Sudden time puzzles. The ones where you have a limited amount of time before game over or where something has a delayed and not obvious effect, like the pellets in Uru: Path of the Shell.

>Extracurricular knowledge. Basic math and language skills should be a prerequisite to finish an adventure game, musical notation and binary should not. Having to look them up out of game breaks immersion just enough to be annoying, at least put a way to learn about it in-game.

>15-puzzle / Tower of Hanoi. Like the double and maze they add nothing, they're just lazy padding.

>1001 buttons. Look, I get that you don't want players to brute force this, but once you know the solution there should be a minimum amount of actions you need to perform to solve a puzzle. The worst that comes to mind is the tiles one in Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon.

>"How the fuck was I supposed to guess that?". It's okay to have crazy solutions in comical games but there has to be a way for someone who isn't the author to get to the solution. There's hundreds of examples, I vote for the part in Simon The Sorcerer 2 where you have to use the Magic verb on a beagle to turn him into a pair of slippers to sneak past a demon.
>>
>>377299732
Just play Japanese adventure games like Famicom Tantei Club Part II on SNES. They don't have any puzzles.
>>
>>377300882
I didn't say I want a visual novel without puzzles, just that these 10 kinds of puzzle rustle my jimmies.
>>
>>377299732
Sounds like you need to git gud boy.
>>
>>377299732
>Puzzles that require a missable piece
>>
I remember salving all the ayyy doors in dead space 3 only to find the auction on the fucking door itself
>>
cool post, bro, what's your blogspot?
>>
>>377299732
morse code puzzle in Penumbra.
i seriously don't know anyone that learnt that at school or anywhere else.
how people managed to do it aside looking for morse code in internet or some playthrough solution?
>>
adventure games shouldn't exist.
it's a dead genre, time to let go.
>>
>open world action RPG with zero hand holding
>progression only possible via obscure puzzles

One of the puzzles was playing the piano. Not in any childish and easy way, but in a way that is only possible if you are actually proficient with playing the piano. You had to know how to read musical notes too. I spent a whole day researching that shit and trying to do the puzzle and when I finally figured it out my reward was some crappy gear that wasn't as good as what I had equipped. Didn't know if it was mandatory or not for progression due to zero hand holding so doing it was the only way to be sure. Felt like a kick in the nuts.
>>
>know musical notation and proficient in piano
>i get extra perks in some video games that most people don't
get fuckt bitchbois
>>
File: kyrandia3_update4_002.png (91KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
kyrandia3_update4_002.png
91KB, 640x400px
>>377299732
>having to grind for items in a labyrinth so you can trade them for a small chance at getting a key item
>you need to collect 8 of these items to take your chance at solving the puzzle
>fail once and you have start back from square one
>someone at Westwood thought this would be entertaing
>>
File: c.png (351KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
c.png
351KB, 640x560px
>>377299732
>>
>>377303176
No genre ever truly dies, Anon.
>>
>>377303856
>get fuckt bitchbois
Lewd....
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>yfw adventure games are bullshit and esoteric on purpose to make you call their hotline for hints
the 90s were a different time
>>
How do we make Towers of Hanoi more fun and dynamic?

My idea: Bomb discs.
>>
>>377303416
well at least you learned something
>>
>>377305483
true. the first website i EVER went to once i had internet on my computer was cheatzone to get a walkthrough for king's quest 6.
>>
Non-standard knowledge is fine so long as there are in game items that help explain it. Shit like morse code or binary is alright so long as you can hunt around to find a slip of paper or some such shit that has the morse code alphabet.

Alternatively, bonus puzzles and non-critical paths can be as crazy and obscure as you want. The Regis in Pokemon R/S were perfect.
>>
File: 618-the-dig-dos-front-cover[1].jpg (102KB, 800x1025px) Image search: [Google]
618-the-dig-dos-front-cover[1].jpg
102KB, 800x1025px
Why is this so underrated?
>>
>>377305342
I see nothing wrong here
>>
>>377305996
because it really wasn't that good.
>>
>>377305342
what game is that?
>>
>>377307170
Final Fantasy 7.
>>
>>377305342
>house monster appears
>>
File: FUCK YOU.png (978KB, 756x548px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK YOU.png
978KB, 756x548px
HOW WERE YOU SUPPOSED TO KNOW
>>
>>377305996
Great game, but short.
>>
>>377303416
The Secret World?
>>
>>377305996
Because muh Day of the tentacle
>>
>>377299732
I wasnt a fan of one puzzle in Phantom Hourglass.

You know, that one with the map.
>>
>>377305879
haha bascially this.

As soon as I found out our loibrary got internet it was game sages every other day to find secrets, cheats, and finally not be stuck on whatever game.
>>
Why you dont like puzzles?
Are you a nigger?
>>
I feel like it's really hard to balance out tough adventure game puzzles. The best puzzles require a mental leap of inspiration from the player but there's a thin line between that and compete bullshit that all players will just get stuck on.

Thimbleweed Park managed to pull off the balance pretty well though I found myself wishing for a Hard Mode sometimes.
>>
File: 64f3[1].gif (145KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
64f3[1].gif
145KB, 640x400px
>Pick up item that looks like it might be useful
>Die soon afterwards.
God damn it Sierra. I want to like you so much and yet you treat me so bad.
>>
File: 1422141694097.jpg (51KB, 626x625px) Image search: [Google]
1422141694097.jpg
51KB, 626x625px
As a kid everytime I got stuck on a puzzle I restarted the game because I thought I had done something wrong.
I restarted a LOT of games constantly.
>>
Musical note/tone puzzles
Piano keys and notes

Fucking piano keyboards, shit looks like a KKK meeting with a bunch of white blocks and some black ones hanging off the ground. Musical notes are a nonsensical garbled sequence of letters that repeats over multiple octaves because artfaggots were so retarded even in the past that they don't even know the alphabet past the first seven letters.
>>
>>377310613
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is infuriating in such a way that you go all the way around and actually become impressed by it.
>>
File: Sokoban_ani[1].gif (21KB, 288x320px) Image search: [Google]
Sokoban_ani[1].gif
21KB, 288x320px
Hey guys. Wanna push some blocks?
>>
>>377311158
I use to play this all the time in study hall in middle school.

Teacher let me as well when other kids had to stop playing their games. Something about logic puzzles being learning and jet slalom not
>>
File: 1397631780943.png (2MB, 1007x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1397631780943.png
2MB, 1007x1462px
>>377309794
>>
>>377311158
>going through sokoban every time in nethack for the bag of holding
absolutely awful
>>
File: Grim-fandango-cast.jpg (74KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Grim-fandango-cast.jpg
74KB, 500x375px
Nobody's mentioned Grim Fandango yet? That game had some absolutely brutal puzzles, the writer even agreed on that.
>>
Lol g*t g*d
>>
>>377303416
Past certain point you just start doing quests/missions to get all the achievements/challenges.
Btw. TSW Legends is supposed to start next month or so. I'll be pissed if I won't get my chipmunk suit
>>
>>377305996
Too serious for normies (which was the target audience back then)
>>
>>377311786
I dropped it at the fire beaver, must not even be that far into the game
>>
whats some good horror adventure games
>>
>>377305996
shit myst puzzles, bad acting, good story but told in a boring way.
>>
>>377312195
Yeah, that's still year one if I remember correctly. For the beavers you gotta get a fire extinguisher and get some bones. You throw the bone into the tar, and when a beaver jumps to the bone you blast it with the extinguisher.

And if you think this is obtuse, hoo boy it's gonna get way worse.
>>
File: 5456456.png (1MB, 1523x849px) Image search: [Google]
5456456.png
1MB, 1523x849px
Why can't Schafer remaster his own game without bugs?
>>
>>377313134
To me it wasn't so much the whoel shebang but the fact you had to use the extinguisher in the exact moment it jumped.
Grim Fandango was one of my first adventure games and the thought of a timing based puzzle hadn't even occurred to me.

>>377299732
The absolute worst one I've seen was from some forgettable mid 2000s cold war spy adventure, to distract a crow and check his nest you had to rub a potato on a rock.
>>
>>377309794
Not that guy but TSW had a puzzle that had some keywords in it like 1725 and season. It was the first time I could use knowledge from three semesters of music history. My buddy sat on it for 30 or 40 minutes before asking me. He didn't want to look it up.

Don't be a music major, kids.
>>
i'll never understand how you retards have trouble with music puzzles

music theory is so fucking simple it's not like they're asking about assembling chords you'd only see in coltrane or anything
>>
>>377303035
You look in the note that describes the morse code alphabet of course
>>
>>377299732
What problem did people have with that Broken Sword puzzle? It was super easy, I thought.
>>
File: mi2.png (44KB, 1024x461px) Image search: [Google]
mi2.png
44KB, 1024x461px
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.