[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open-World Survival Sandbox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

Anyone got a recomendation for a "walk around and craft stuff so that you can eat and not die" game?

Preferably one where I can build a comfy base?

So far I am looking at

> Stranded Deep
> The Forest
> Subsitance
> Subnautica
> The Long Dark

Any opinions on which are better than which?
>>
Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>377294770
how is that comfy you shit
>>
>>377294724
Rust.
>>
Minecraft.

I've played all those and they all suffer from early access syndrome. Just play Minecraft.
>>
UnReal World
>>
I guess what I am looking for is the base buildong of Fallout 4 without it being Fallout 4.

I might check out Wasteland Defence + Settler Mods for NV.
>>
Don't Starve
Minecraft
every other game (just pretend until it fits)
Outside
>>
>>377294724
>Stranded Deep

No, just no.

The game progresses backwards instead of forward.
In the past 2 years they REMOVED content instead of adding it.
>>
>>377294724
UnReal World or Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
>>
>>377294724
Go to some fuck huge forest/nature area irl and go nuts.
>>
>>377294724
Wurm Online
>>
>>377294724
Rust
>>
>>377294724

That looks like a damp miserable mess.

Holy fuck.
>>
Rust.
>>
Don't Starve for something with actual aesthetic.

And UnReal if you're alright with Dwarf Fortress tie shit.

Long Dark is worth a mention. I'm not sure about Subnautica

What would be great is if subnautica spanned multiple worlds and we could see even more variety.

But they're having a bitch of a time with what they've got now.
>>
>>377295550
>I'm a pvp fagtron in wurm
Bet you play on freedom you little shit. But yeah for comfy homesteading with crafting and basic survival wurm is pretty good. The main game has plenty of servers of untouched land to build a brand new homestead on you'll be fucking lucky to ever see a human at, with thr ability to global chat other players and trade if you live near a road or find your way to a highway or just build your own.

There's also wurm unlimited by those servers are community maintained, but it's a one time fee. Basically WURM
>>
File: lif.jpg (88KB, 620x300px) Image search: [Google]
lif.jpg
88KB, 620x300px
I am averse to multiplayer. But Life is Feudal looks comfy as hell.

How feasible would it be to start a private server and play it solo on my own?
>>
>>377294724
Rust,
Minecraft,
Terraria (Starbound too if into spess).

Subnautica and The Long Dark are incredible but don't match your brief very well. Stranded Deep and The Forest are pretty bad and Subsistance looks and sounds like a Rust ripoff.
>>
>>377295167
Came here to post this.
>>
>>377296535

That's all I do in Life is Feudal, so yeah it's extremely viable and maximum comfy, and because it's your own server you have the added benefit of being able to tweak all the settings, alter things like the mining speeds etc so it doesn't take you a life time to actually dig a mine.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 300x450px
OP play UNREAL WORLD ASAP

>build your own cabin in the deep woods
>hunt and fish for food
>cook your own soups and stews using herbs your foraged
>dry/smoke your food to preserve it for the winter
>tan the hides of the animals you hunted to make your winter gear
>>
Oblivion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOATPpK51sY
>>
I just want a less shitty(optimization wise) game than Wurm Unlimited, is that too much to ask? I haven't played anything that competes with it's depth.
>>
>>377294724
sims 3
>>
>>377296798
>UnReal World

I wish survival had a bigger role in roguelikes.
>>
>>377294724
The Long Dark is probably the most comfy. You can sort of make a base, by dropping stuff off at a certain location. But its not like you have control over building anything.
>>
>>377296798
>>377295342
>>377295225
Ill def check out UnReal World when I get home.

>>377296636
I absolutely love The Long Dark. I just wish I was better at it. I could live for a while as a straight scavenger, but I always seem to run out of resources.

I know the overall point of the sandbox is to die eventually, but would be cool to live in a cabin, build stuff and go out and kill without running out of ammo.
>>
The Forest and Subnautica are both fairly comfy.

There is actually a mode in The Forest that allows you to disable the cannibals so you can just focus on living out a Gilligan's Island fantasy
>>
>>377297968
I wish it was more present in general. People always scoff at it because they see the need to eat, sleep, etc as annoying but it's another layer that can contribute to a well designed game.

>NEO Scavanger
>Dead State
I think both of these RPGs were overlooked because of the inclusion of survival elements. Most players don't like their wish fulfillment encroached upon.
>>
>>377295237
Can confirm solid choice of mods.

I like your tastes OP, I would have recommended all of those games you posted had you not already posted them.
>>
>>377296636
>Subsistance looks and sounds like a Rust ripof
Eh. No.
In what aspect does it look and sound like a RUST ripoff? It does have its own unique thing going.
>>
>>377298602
>Subsistence is a sandbox, first person, open-world survival game. Struggle to build a base and gear-up in the hostile environment. Defend yourself from wildlife and AI hunters (who also build bases in the world). Progress your base technology for advanced item crafting and upgrades. Farm crops, raise small animals and harvest and refine resources to rise in dominance in the world. If you enjoy open-world sandbox survival games, resource gathering and grinding to build a base, you may enjoy playing the early access version of the game.

Sounds like Rust to me, only singleplayer (and they're making it multiplayer). The video on the Steam page looks just like Rust but jankier too. Same building, same item placement, same resource gathering, etc. Perhaps it plays differently but you couldn't tell from the material they've made available.
>>
File: 20170311234731_1.jpg (354KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20170311234731_1.jpg
354KB, 1680x1050px
>>377295161
>>377295854
>>377296002
>>377296636

Rust isn't at all like what OP wants. It's really more an FPS with basebuilding. The "survival" part really falls flat, especially with the more recent updates.
>>
>>377299230
Fair enough. By that logic there are a lot of RUST ripoffs. Mostly everything. Not saying it is a bad thing, but it is kind of like back in the day everything was DOOM clone.
Anyways, correct me if I am wrong, but in RUST there weren't any NPCs other than wildlife, right? There are in Subsistence. They build bases and hunt and gather and can fuck your day up if you come at them.
Subsistence also got a pretty okay nutrition system, in which you need protein and plant fiber to function properly.
Those are the things come from the top of my head.
>>
>>377294724
Subnautica and The Long Dark are pretty great as far as survival games go.
>>
Has The Forest ever gone on sale? Not willing to pay more than 10 bucks for the early access survival meme.
>>
File: 1275073717540.jpg (31KB, 498x323px) Image search: [Google]
1275073717540.jpg
31KB, 498x323px
Ark is the only decent game like that.

And its full of jew shit
>>
>>377299832
You can probably get it from kinguin or g2a or even a steam trade thread. It was in a monthly some time ago, so if someone (like me) don't want it - they might give it away or trade you one.
>>
>>377299928
Ark is the polar opposite of decent. It's fucked mechanically and technically, and the extreme power disparity between small and large clans is fucking ludicrous. Griefers killed the game indirectly because every server I've played on's alpha tribe inevitably razes your shit to the ground offline because someone didn't recognise your name so you could be a griefer and because of the power disparity it takes a total of five minutes to dismantle a hundred hours work.

The wait-to-tame system is fucking awful, too.
>>
Post-apocalyptic survival? CDDA is the best?
>>
File: unreal world,.jpg (412KB, 1199x899px) Image search: [Google]
unreal world,.jpg
412KB, 1199x899px
>>377294724
UNREAL WORLD!
Get good or die in ancient iron-age Finland.
>>
File: NEO Scavenger.jpg (324KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
NEO Scavenger.jpg
324KB, 1360x768px
>>377298381
NEO Scavenger is really an oddball.
>roguelite - as in permadeath
>skills to choose from
>crafting
>dialogue and even bit of story
>hex based map
>turn based, text based combat
>scenarios with options
>>
>>377302521
isn't unfinished as well?
>>
>>377302635
Nope, full game as far as I know.
Got a demo as well, if you want to try it out. Pretty rare nowadays.
>>
>>377302754
I tried out some version a time ago and thought it was early access or something but the developer said it was finished
>>
File: Build-712x462.jpg (122KB, 712x462px) Image search: [Google]
Build-712x462.jpg
122KB, 712x462px
>>377294724
Project Zomboid
>>
>>377296078
> multiple worlds

Lol they can barely populate one with enough creatures to make it not feel completely empty.
>>
>>377302521
I love the attention to detail in NEO Scavenger.
You can't put small things like rocks and pebbles into a shopping cart, because it'll obviously fall through.

>>377302831
Pretty sure it's been out for a while.
>>
There's Stationeers coming later this year.
Who knows if it will deliver, but it looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RtX3cSgs6s
>>
>>377300345
>Playing on pvp servers

Lol
>>
>>377303380
Game is trash, don't bother with this. Combat is utter shit, survival is boring and grindy.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.