[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PSA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

PSA: If you prefer old video games over new ones, then you're then cancer killing the industry.

Yes you read that right. Other than books and movies, two mediums which have been set in the fundamental way they are made for quite some time now, videogames are still finding their way and progress further with every generation on how they are made due to fundamental technological advancements. Videogames haven't reached their point of adulthood yet.

Videogames of the 90's and 00 years were basically blueprints for whats to come. They are shitty b-movies from the 80's. Made out of compromises due to the lack of proper technique, tools, and funds that cut imagination and creative vision on all ends. Those movies are only liked by nostalgia and "trash" fans. If you like those games, then you like trash.

This is why the actual creators of videogames never look back and always move forward with new games. You may not "like" the direction, but it is the direction thats needed creatively.
Every new videogame is better than the last one that came out. For the future is for the games.
>>
>>377291001
>>
>>377291001
>250 replies and 90 images omitted
>>
>>377291001
>>
File: 1493093962137.gif (3MB, 250x283px) Image search: [Google]
1493093962137.gif
3MB, 250x283px
>>377291001
>muh graphics
>>
>>377291001
Disregard that, I suck cocks
>>
>>377291001
>t. (((game developer)))
>>
Thanks for the copypasta material if this isn't already.
>>
File: og.jpg (363KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
og.jpg
363KB, 1200x900px
>>377291001
>Orange GameCube
GameCube had a ton of cool colors.
>>
>>377291001
Modern game developers don't have the means to make new creative things. 90s was the last time when higher-ups allowed devs to take risks.
If you only support the modern shit, you support the stagnation of video games.
>>
>>377291001
no
>>
>>377291201
Actually PS4 would have the video perfect, because they just have movies
>>
File: 415W1WM4KCL.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
415W1WM4KCL.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
>>377291412
>orange
>not black
nigga, u gay
>>
>>377291609
But anon, Orange is the New Black!
>>
File: IMG_0619.jpg (139KB, 864x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0619.jpg
139KB, 864x576px
>>377291609
>Black
>Not Purple
I guess I will never know what's like to be a dumb nigger
>>
File: silver master race.jpg (10KB, 280x322px) Image search: [Google]
silver master race.jpg
10KB, 280x322px
I laugh at all the plebs here
>>
>>377291432
>90s was the last time when higher-ups allowed devs to take risks.
Friendly reminder that this is what nostalgia fags actually believe.

Case in point: Red Alert.
When EA took over everyone cried about EA killing Westwood due to EA just wanting to look at the money. Yet the boss of WW came out and said that before EA took over, it was actually all about the money, since they had none.
When EA took over, EA told them to "just do what you want to do".

Open your eyes nostalgiafags.
>>
>>377291728
thats indigo idiot
>>
>>377291001
>muh graphics
>muh tutorials
>muh hand holding
>muh appeal to a wider audience
>muh kickstarter
>muh day 1 patches
>muh DLC
>muh on disk DLC
>muh DRM
>muh internet required for single player
>muh paying to play online
>muh early access
>muh bullshots
>muh $100,000,000 budgets
>muh cinematic experiences
>>
File: 1396373299949.jpg (58KB, 261x287px) Image search: [Google]
1396373299949.jpg
58KB, 261x287px
>>377291815
Didn't the last Command and Conquer game get really bad reviews and sell poorly though? Also had problems with it's online during release
>>
>>377291862
Excuse me, I'm blind
>>
>>377291878
You forgot the most important thing
>muh progress
stay mad
>>
>>377291924
It had. But it certainly had nothing to do with "not being allowed to take creative risks"
>>
File: 789184084_o.jpg (25KB, 576x524px) Image search: [Google]
789184084_o.jpg
25KB, 576x524px
>>377291728
How many face plates did Nintendo release for the GameCube? I've only seen the Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime and Gale of Darkness ones.
>>
>>377292034
The one I have is one-of-a-kind as far as I know. I haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar one even on Assembler Games.

As for your question, who knows? I haven't found a good list of face plates.
The GoD one is legit, I have it
>>
Who is your favorite comic book writer, /v/?
Mine's Dennis O'Neil.
>>
File: IMG_3572.jpg (446KB, 500x1220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3572.jpg
446KB, 500x1220px
Anybody else here exclusively play older games? There's just so many things I haven't played yet and I like not spending money. Recently been playing ff6 and got a red dead redemption bundle for PS3 for 2 dollars.
>>
>>377291001
Thank you fellow video gamer, the industry is never wrong! It's people who have different opinions!
Go fuck yourself, your the real cancer
>>
>>377292401

>!

Could you be more of a faggot?
>>
>>377291965
>>377292020
I'm sure the 20-something Maddens have really came a long way over the years because of their creative risks
>>
>>377291001
Movies are hardly set in a fundamental way of being made. The hollywood method is only very recent in film's short history and even that has had massive changes as technology progresses. The print epistemology is closer to a "solved" medium, but technological advances have changed the was books can be written. House of Leaves couldn't have existed 50 years ago.
>>
>>377292295
I don't exclusively play older games, but I do more often than not. What new games I do play are mostly doujin games. Recently I've been playing a little Adventure Island II and Digital Devil Saga.
>>
>>377291001
Your statement about preferring old games over new as being the cause of the cancer killing the industry is wildly incorrect on multiple fronts.

>Yes you read that right. Other than books and movies, two mediums which have been set in the fundamental way they are made for quite some time now, videogames are still finding their way and progress further with every generation on how they are made due to fundamental technological advancements. Videogames haven't reached their point of adulthood yet.
This point is correct: games have not reached the "end" of their evolution, but that's bundled into technological advancements and as such isn't likely to occur any time soon.

>Videogames of the 90's and 00 years were basically blueprints for whats to come. They are shitty b-movies from the 80's. Made out of compromises due to the lack of proper technique, tools, and funds that cut imagination and creative vision on all ends. Those movies are only liked by nostalgia and "trash" fans. If you like those games, then you like trash.
You're wrong here. Developers struggled to find ways to tell the stories they wanted to, however most of the time they succeeded despite the technological hurdles they encountered. They may not have had all of the superfluous bells and whistles of modern gaming (cutscenes, voice acting, advanced modelling techniques, and whatever would be relevant after the time that the game was made), but they managed to use the tools they had effectively if they wanted to tell the stories they wanted to. Things like good sound direction and musical compositions to color a situation or making versatile sprites that can be used in a variety of situations were vital to conveying what developers wanted and it led to some unconventional workarounds and managing risk between new ideas and old standbys.

Additionally, the argument you're making hinges on the idea that old works will always be outclassed by modern ones, and this is simply not true. Cont...
>>
File: 1454313395744.jpg (97KB, 878x814px) Image search: [Google]
1454313395744.jpg
97KB, 878x814px
>>377291001
suck my cock
>>
>>377292725
>but that's bundled into technological advancements and as such isn't likely to occur any time soon.
Which is why the games of this decade are also redundant in anothe decade.
>however most of the time they succeeded despite the technological hurdles they encountered.
No they didn't. Every single making of video shows you cut content and "we actually planned to" ideas.
Its all a big pile of "well lets just get it over with and try again in a decade"
>>
File: IMG_1784.jpg (164KB, 640x476px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1784.jpg
164KB, 640x476px
>>377291001

>Troll thread

Here I go.

If you prefer classic television, you are the cancer killing the industry. If you aren't watching Young Sheldon and saying bazinga every twelve seconds and looking at people with a painfully retarded smile, you're cancer. If you aren't watching dancing with the stars AND American idol every chance you get, you are cancer. If you don't believe everything you hear on TV, you are cancer. If you don't love remakes of old shows remade from old shows remade of older shows, you are cancer. If you don't have both a batman and a Spider-Man tattoo, you are cancer. If you don't check this 8, you are cancer.
>>
>>377292457
>?
Could you be more of a faggot
>>
>>377291965
You're right. Day 1 patches that are only a thing because the devs are lazy shits who want to push the game out before it works is the pinnacle of progress.
>>
>>377292725
Additionally, the argument you're making hinges on the idea that old works will always be outclassed by modern ones, and this is simply not true. Consider movies like Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, and many many other classics. They didn't have the luxury of modern effects but still managed to be excellent films because they were strong elsewhere.

>>377292534 makes an excellent point as well: just about every medium in use is still changing. To say that "this form of media has reached its ultimate form" is folly, due to the ever-changing nature of technology that allows for the production of said medium. For all we know now, movie formats 50 years from now will probably be very different from the formats we have now.

tl;dr: Old good shit is not invalidated by its age because actual quality withstands the test of time, and there are plenty of good old games.
>>
>>377291001
OP please die in a fire.
>>
>>377293035
>If you prefer classic television
Didn't even read the OP eh?
>>
>>377291001

Check my 2
>>
>>377292534
>Movies are hardly set in a fundamental way of being made.
Yes they are. Fundamentally they are set. What changes is culture and how people approach movies, but the filmmaking itself is fundamentally set. Only the types of cameras an dother equipment changes. The fundamental process stays the same.
Also non-HW approaches have existed since forever as well. Also set.
>house of leaves
>muh shitty horror love story baint and switch
No thank you. That has nothing to do with how books are made. CYOA books exists as do tons of other "artsy" books. Fundamentally its still the same process.
>>377293102
>Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, and many many other classics
??? they are made with fundamentals that are still used. Literally read the OP.
>>
>>377291001
Can nobody prove OP wrong then? Huh...
>>
>>377293130

Oh, I read it.

You clearly didn't read mine though. Either that or you're legally retarded and it's dangerous for you to be in public alone.

Whoever you are, fuck you and your shit thread you made. Gaming really was better before it was commercialized and I think you know that.
>>
>>377293340
In regards to house of leaves, it really needed a computer to be able to be made. I'm not arguing for it's quality, but the use of graphic design as a story element is an example of technological progress in pint.

And films change a hell of a lot through things like CG. Heck if CG gets good enough and we can simulate voices studios won't even need to hire actors anymore and we with have our own hatsune miku's.
>>
>>377292810
>cut content
A good game isn't good because of what it could have been, anon. It's good because of what it actually has in it. Movies and books and even music albums have cut content as well. Does that make the authors/writers/directors responsible for those works any less able to tell the stories they want to? Do the ideas cut from their content during production make their works any worse based on what's actually included? Some ideas are cut because they detract or distract from a storytelling focus. Not all cut content is wrongfully cut.
>>
>>377291001

You're right. You're absolutely right. MMO games and Cawadoody have enriched gaming beyond all perceptible measure.

It's too bad more people like you aren't in charge in the gaming world.
>>
>>377291001
But there hasn't been an action game to top God Hand yet.
>>
>>377293340
>Fundamentals
What kind of "fundamentals" are you talking about? Sound direction has changed a fuckload in the past 50 years alone. Printing and distribution have changed a lot in the past 25. The idea of easy self-publication alone has introduced a drastic amount of published work, and the publishing process itself is constantly changing and is seen as a fundamental part of books. Shit, Audiobook distribution platforms have seen a recent boom as well, which calls for more intensive work in quality assurance. What the fuck are you even getting at with this talk of "fundamentals?" Or are you just talking out of your ass for the sake of shit bait?
>>
>>377291001
>PSA: If you prefer old video games over new ones, then you're then cancer killing the industry.
>
>Yes you read that right. Other than books and movies, two mediums which have been set in the fundamental way they are made for quite some time now, videogames are still finding their way and progress further with every generation on how they are made due to fundamental technological advancements. Videogames haven't reached their point of adulthood yet.
>
>Videogames of the 90's and 00 years were basically blueprints for whats to come. They are shitty b-movies from the 80's. Made out of compromises due to the lack of proper technique, tools, and funds that cut imagination and creative vision on all ends. Those movies are only liked by nostalgia and "trash" fans. If you like those games, then you like trash.
>
>This is why the actual creators of videogames never look back and always move forward with new games. You may not "like" the direction, but it is the direction thats needed creatively.
>Every new videogame is better than the last one that came out. For the future is for the games.- 49 posts and 11 image replies shown.
>>
>>377293702
>But there hasn't been an action game to top Streets of Rage 2 yet.
Fixed.
>>
>>377293695
>MMO games and Cawadoody
All 2000.
Read the OP.
>>
OP is right. Games build on one another. Nier is the best example of driving the medium forward, the way it wouldn't have been possible.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.