[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone made a portal physics thread earlier today so I made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 530
Thread images: 53

File: portal-meme.gif (98KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
portal-meme.gif
98KB, 636x424px
Someone made a portal physics thread earlier today so I made this gif to explain what I thought would happen, but that thread expired.

So what do you think, am I right?
>>
File: portal-meme-loop.gif (98KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
portal-meme-loop.gif
98KB, 636x424px
>>377288531
This one loops.
>>
>>377288531
if it came down with alot of force yeah that's what would happen
>>
>>377288531
No, because the cube would need momentum in order to fly like that.

If you're just pressing a portal against it, no matter what the velocity is, the cube will always have the same velocity in the blue portal every time.
>>
>>377288625
>>377288531
>what is momentum?
>>
>>377288653
>>377288686
It would be the double bounce trampoline effect.
The force of the moving portal platform smashing against the lowers one transfers it's momentum through reverberation.
>>
oh yeah, if the plate with the cube on it smashed into the portal, then it would fly off
>>
>>377288531
What the fuck is shaking in this?
>>
>>377288531
the cube is being pushed out of the portal at the velocity the red portal moves, no matter how you look at it, the cube doesn't materialize outside the other portal.
>>
>>377288761
The force of the platform hitting the other platform.
The force vibrates through the platform.
Put a penny on a desk then slam your hand on the desk, it will jump up a little bit.
>>
>>377288531
i don't understand your gif.
but the cube does fly.
>>
>>377288686
Here's the deal. Both sides are affecting the cube, yes? So the momentum isn't pure.
>>
The cube wouldn't bounce nearly that much. Most of that force is going to continue traveling downwards in the direction of the piston.
>>
All portals do are displace an object in space. They don't produce or enact momentum on objects caught inside them. It's A.
>>
the cube would just go :puff:
>>
>>377289739
just like my erection
>>
portals don't exist
>>
it's B, and let me explain why. Please keep in mind portals violate physics as is, so this is just what is most likely to happen with what we know.

The speed that the cube moves through the stationary portal is solely determined by how fast the piston portal is pushed onto the cube. Thus, if the pistol portal comes down at 50 m/s, then the cube exits the stationary portal at 50 m/s. This would seem to create energy out of nothing, but portals have no problem doing this with potential energy from gravity, so obviously the conservation of energy isn't important. What is important is that the portal does not have an effect on you once you exit it. If you come out of a portal at 50m/s, you don't "reset" momentum.

Thus, how fast you come out of the exit portal is speed that you maintain, and because we established that the speed you exit is determined by how fast you enter, REGARDLESS of if you are providing the momentum, or if the portal itself provides it, we can conclude that B is the most likely scenario.

This argument totally leaves out things like frame of reference, for sake of brevity.

The hula hoop analogy is flawed because both sides are moving at the same speed, the slinky argument is flawed because the speed at which you enter the slinky is not inherently tied to the speed at which you exit, as we can demonstrate from simple testing (also, slinkies don't violate the laws of physics as we know them with regularity, as do portals)
>>
>>377290180
clean and correct answer! ding ding ding we have a winner.
>>
>>377290180

The thing is, that orange portal IS moving. That entire space is moving and being dragged towards the cube by the blue portal. The grid that the world exists on is being warped to fold those portals into the same space.
>>
>>377290796
I don't know of any in-game or canon media that describes the exact functioning of the portals. Do you have hard evidence, or is this just speculation?
>>
Alright so a portal has some magic ability to generate momentum from a stationary object?

The reason I ask is imagine the portal wasn't there, imagine that there was instead a platform with just a hole for the object heading down towards it at the same velocity as the diagram in OPs picture. Should it be true then the box would lift exponentially off it's ground, through the hole in the top platform and into the air before coming back down correct?

I'm sorry but there would need to be a transfer of inertia in some way to which the box is gaining momentum. When the platform collides with the other platform it would lose all movement, the box will not gain it as it does not even come into contact with the platform
>>
>>377288531
this would be like if you catch a bug in a bug-net, you slamming the net down around the bug doesn't suddenly cause the bug to be propelled up into the air,
>>
>>377290976
>this would be like if you catch a bug in a bug-net, you slamming the net down around the bug doesn't suddenly cause the bug to be propelled up into the air,
That's because the earth is large and absorbs the shock.
>>
>>377290909

It's based on the actual theory behind how a wormhole would work. In-game canon is supposed to be that portals can't be on moving objects but they through one into the second game that can magically do it despite the rest of the game making them close if the platform moves.

In-game the portal just hits the cube and stops moving because it can't push the cube out of the other portal.
>>
>>377290923
Portals in game already effect momentum, since momentum is a vector. If your direction changes, your momentum changes too.

And yes, if the two portals are moving at different speeds, then any object that goes through them will have the absolute value of its momentum changed, not just the direction.
>>
>>377290923
Both sides of the hula hoop/toliet paper roll/window/door/whatever are moving together. It's not an equal comparison. On one side you have something being pushed into what seems to be like a hula hoop, but on the other side we have what seems to be a cube exiting at a high speed.

If you were just in the room with the exit portal, from your perspective, wouldn't the cube exit at like 10km/s, then just stop and plop down? Looking through this portal, the cube would be approaching the portal at this speed and be launched.
>>
>>377288531
>>377290180
It's A. The instant an object enters the portal is the moment it materializing on the other side. The portal doesn't convey any energy to an object that enters/exits it. The fact that the portal is moving at speed merely means that a stationary object will leave that much faster on the other side, but the portal itself won't impart any energy on an otherwise stationary object to make bounce, fly or whatever it is b fags would have you believe
>>
>>377290180
I have to disagree with this. The momentum is carried by the object, not the portal. The speed of the portal moving towards the object would have no impact as to its exit velocity.

To visualize, the image above would be as if an elevator was crashing down above your head. As you stare upward, you can see a light in the center. As it rapidly approaches, you stare up and watch the blue sky above grow larger as the hole becomes closer. Eventually, the entire elevator crashes around you, but you do not fly into the air. Instead, you find yourself standing on an angled platform safe from harm.

The rules of a "portal" seem to specify that a portal has no intrinsic momentum, as it is simply a door. An object in motion stays in motion, and vice versa. An object without momentum will not move as it exits a portal, as the portal cannot, and does not affect the matter passing through it. It merely relocates it.
>>
>>377291083
How are they meant to define moving, according to in-world rules? Because the earth is moving
>>
>>377291083
In game tests aren't "canon", oddly enough, because the devs said they had to use a whole bunch of programming hacks to merely approximate the portals.

Secondly, our theoretical physics regarding wormholes has no bearing on how portals in portal work, as this is a series where an advanced AI is powered by a potato, it's science fiction without consistent explanation. All we can do is make assumptions based on the behaviour we know to be intended.
>>
>>377291149
So the cube exits at 10km/s, and then just stops? Why? You agree it exits at that speed, and say the portal doesn't affect it's momentum, but it just stops?
>>
>>377291103

The thing is, you can be the cube, too.

We can tall about perspective all day, but the perspective should be the room as a whole. The piston is the only thing moving from all perspectives. From that we can tell that the space itself is bring brought down on the cube. You just wouldn't feel that movement because it's the space itself moving and not the objects within it.
>>
>>377291184
>Instead, you find yourself standing on an angled platform safe from harm.
you don't, though.
>>
>>377291019
okay so this IS all a joke, got it
>>
>>377291195

Okay, but if we can't use in-game science or real world theory there's nothing to discuss.
>>
>>377291193
Moving with respect to each other, I guess. If you put two portals on the same moving platform, it should work just fine. Afags and Bfags would agree on everything.
>>
>>377291243
The cube isn't "moving" at 10km/s. It enters the portal, and is rematerialized through the other portal at 10km/s stationary. If it entered through a portal moving 10km/s, while being tossed into the portal at 10km/s, it would rematerialize at 20km/s, 10km/s in a vector.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 383x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 383x349px
What if the moving platform stops halfway through the cube? Does it still get ejected?
>>
>>377291372
There's no "rematerialization". The portal is a hole in space, not a teleporter that deconstructs and reconstructs stuff going through it.
>>
>>377291436
It either ejects at half the speed, or if the stress from the sudden stop is too much, breaks in half.
>>
>>377291292
If the cube is exiting the portal at all, it has force behind it, due to the fact that the exit portal isn't moving. This is simply undebatable.

>>377291365
Hence why it's kind of a dumb question. From all we know, it would be B, but a dev could just say it's A and we have to accept that.

>>377291372
Even supposing the portal dematerializes and rematerializes things (which is never, ever stated in game), it would still do so in layers, as stopping the portal halfway down the cube would only give us half the cube on the other side. So why wouldn't the layer above be "pushed up" at that speed?

Either way, it's irrelevant, as you're basically just making something up. This is never even HINTED at in game, iirc
>>
>>377291436
If I only pull on the end of a rope, does the whole rope move?
>>
>>377291306
You do though. See >>377291372 and >>377291436. A new parameter is made which is not momentum, but instead speed of relocation. If a portal could affect momentum, it could suck an object through by moving slightly over 50% the way through. This however is not the case, as it would cause logic loops.
>>
>>377288531
This is totally correct.
Slamming a hula-hoop at high speed at a box will make the box propel out the other side with infinite speed.
Get your facts straight trolls.
>>
>>377288531
Why do you fuckers think it flies in a straight line? You're all retarded. It won't just pop out, but it won't go into orbit, either. Depending on how quickly the portal crashes down on the cube, the cube will have a relative speed to the portal's exit. If the portal's exit is stationary, then the cube will retain its relative velocity and be flung out a short distance
>>
>>377291573
Portals themselves are logic loops. That's not an argument.
>>
>>377291372
>at 10km/s stationary
>>
>>377291576
>Get your facts straight trolls.
Dropping a 6 ton hula hoop will cause it to bounce very far.
>>
>>377291573
>Portals rematerialize and write parameters to objects

This is stated literally nowhere. This is fanfiction tier shit.
>>
>>377291243
The cube isn't affected by the speed of the portal. Think of it like Star Trek's teleportation. Object disappears on one end and reappears on the other. Portal doesn't interact with the object apart from transporting it to the other end. If a portal is moving at speed the transmission/teleportation occurs faster but a stationary object wouldn't get any additional energy to jump out on the other side.

Similarly if you were running towards a stationary portal you'd the speed at which you begin to enter is the speed you begin to exit the portal. If you were running towards a portal that's also moving towards you, you'd enter and exit at the same speed, only the duration of transit would be shorter compared to stationary portal since it would take less time for your body to transit fully through the portal
>>
>>377291573
those are retarded posts from people who fail to understand the problem. there is noo need to see them.
>>
>>377290923
>some magic ability
Treat it like a collision. In reality, I suppose some Lenz's law-like effect would cause the portal to slow down as it engulfs the cube, but more force could be applied to keep the portal's velocity constant, which in turn would equal the force exerted on the cube. As the force accelerates the cube, it will not just pop out
>>
>>377291631
It would break the object in half although it was never moving. Breaking it through *what* though would be the problem. To the outside looking in, it makes no sense, but to the object, it is only the world around it moving. This is more plausible than the portals being able to manipulate the conservation of energy. At worst, the object would get bumped up slightly, as the trampoline effect suggests.

>>377291649
>"I didn't read shit lol"
>>
>>377291721
>this whole post
>>
This is whole thing is basically like asking what would happen if you moved faster than the speed of light
>>
File: r8CRz.png (99KB, 1074x665px) Image search: [Google]
r8CRz.png
99KB, 1074x665px
Explain this A fags.
>>
Something like this would apply to a Stargate, but not to a portal.
>>
>>377291856
they can't, anon. they will just make up some nonsense.
>>
>>377291715
>the teleportation occurs faster

Teleportation in portal is instant, and shown to preserve momentum. It's not like in star trek where you're converted to an energy pattern and re materialized.

Furthermore, all speed is relative. Me running at 5 m/s is the same as me standing still, on a treadmill moving me forward at 5m/s, or running 10m/s on a treadmill moving me back at 5m/s. If I'm approaching an object at 5m/s and the object is approaching me at 5m/s, We are moving toward eachother at 10m/s.

>>377291797
Portals break the conversation of energy all the time. Put a portal on the floor and on the roof directly above/below you, infinite energy. Conversation of energy is shown to not be a necessary requirement of portals.
>>
>>377291856
What happens if you stop halfways through, will the rest of the cube be sucked in? I don't think so. The cube is probably suspended as long as it is inside the portal.
>>
>>377291993
>I don't think so
This isn't an argument. Show why it would not.
>>
>>377291243
Yeah it's elementary v=s/t since the distance cube travelled in real space is 0 then the speed of the portal is irrelevant since you'll always be dividing zeroes
>>
>>377292046
But the real distance it travels isn't 0, as it travels space outside the portal, not the space inside it. See
>>377291856
>>
File: Screenshot_20170517-133126.png (320KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170517-133126.png
320KB, 720x1280px
OP is obviously a troll what the fuck.
>>
>>377292046
>Yeah it's elementary v=s/t
and you aren't able to understand that
>>
>>377292025
I don't think I can describe a portal using classical physics, sorry. Ask an astrophysicist
>>
>>377291993
Show your work.
>>
>>377292189
>I can't explain
Thank you for admitting you have no argument.
>>
>>377292046
For it to stop, there needs to be a force which slows it down. What force is that?
>>
File: hulahoops come back to them.png (26KB, 797x737px) Image search: [Google]
hulahoops come back to them.png
26KB, 797x737px
>Bfags got so fucking buttblasted at the end of the last thread that they insisted to make another thread for full two hours
>>
>>377292230
Why are you so pissy? Can you instead explain how the portal can do work on the cube?

You can't describe this using classical physics in a sensible way, the fact that energy isn't conserved in a portal is reason enough
>>
>>377292296
>implying there hasn't been multiple threads about this daily for the past week.
Whichever side the OP picks, he's just baiting.
>>
>>377292296
there is no irony, your just really, really dumb for not seeing the differnce between two objects, both moving, and two objects, one moving.
>>
>>377292296
Can you explain the irony to a retard like myself?
1+1=/=3
The blue portal is stationary.
What's the issue?
>>
>>377291856
>>377291436
>>377290923
>>377290180
Although these are some good arguments, one vital thing i think a lot of people are confused about is where the transfer of momentum goes. Of course B is implying that when a moving force hits an object it has to move, and what A does not answer is that somehow momentum is not conserved in this closed system.

I'm siding with A however, as people often forget that momentum can transfer into the earth/ground; eg. a car hitting a bollard, the kinetic energy of the car transfers into friction and into a tiny movement in the bollard and earth.

For this example however, when the moving portal does not actually hit the cube, it his hitting the ground beneath it, and what >>377291856 tries to explain is that the normal force goes into the cube. But forgets that the moving portal has its own weight and instead of the normal force being pushed onto the cube, it pushes onto itself; making it stationary.

Willing to try and clarify some stuff.
>>
>>377291856
The cube didn't move at all, a hole in space moved
>>
>>377292486
But what causes the box to move from the blue portal to 1 foot away from the blue portal?
What causes this movement to stop suddenly?
>>
>>377288531
THIS TROLL IS SO FUCKING OLD PORTAL CAME OUT IN 2007 LITERALLY A DECADE AGO DELETE THIS THREAD REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>377292486
>momentum can transfer into the earth/ground
Momentum doesn't have to be conserved, you know. If the ground doesn't move, it hasn't gained momentum just because there's friction. This tiny movement of the ground beneath the car is rather insignificant in a big collision
>>
>>377291979
The process of teleportation is instant for each particle as soon as ot enters crosses the portal's horizon. The time for an object to fully transit through the horizon, in real space, isn't instant and that's the only variable that is affected by portal's speed.

It would take longer for an object to fully transit through the portal if the portal is moving away from you simply because it would take longer for all the object's particles to reach the horizon in real space and vice versa. That said the speed at which an individual particle and object as a whole touch the horizon is the speed at which they instantly resume their course on the other side, regardless of entry portal's speed or direction of movement
>>
>>377292560
If the hole in space is moving, then why does it suddenly stop moving after the box passes through it?
>>
>>377292573
im assuming with A, it doesnt actually travel any distance, since the stationary portal is a sloped surface, the only distance it travels is the force being applied by gravity.

imagine if the stationary portal was facing vertically, then the cube will just "appear" instead of hopping a distance.
>>
>>377291518
>If the cube is exiting the portal at all, it has force behind it, due to the fact that the exit portal isn't moving. This is simply undebatable.

How is it even possible for the entrance portal to be moving and the exit portal not? I would assume that they're both moving, and it's just not apparent since you're moving aswell. Imagine you look down the exit portal while the piston with the blue portal is moving to look at yourself looking at the exit portal. Now you can see yourself and the portal moving upwards.
>>
>arguing classical physics and conservation of energy
>can easily produce an infinitely large potential well with paired portals, which implies that fields ignore portals

If I hold a magnet behind a wall with a portal on it, would a charged box be attracted to that magnet?
>>
>>377292701
Because the hole in space is attached to the big piston thing which contacts the platform the cube is resting on.
>>
>>377292705
Even so, the box emerges from the blue portal at an upward angle. Gravity can not cause that.
>>
Cube doesn't re-enter the room. The room re-engulfs the cube. The cube has no velocity, part of the room's space curviture does. The cube doesn't gain momentum just because it would be weird to look at if you looked at the orange hole.
>>
>>377292735
I don't think so.
I think you would be instead affecting the wall behind wherever the exit portal is attached, assuming that portals are double sided.
>>
>>377292363
see
>>377291979
>>
>>377292746
But the hole in space is attached to the stationary platform. That platform does not move while the piston moves.
>>
>>377292735
To have an argument about this, we must assume that the piston on which the portal has been placed is doing work on the cube. Either the piston will decelerate as it comes down on the cube, or the portal goes on electricity or something and consumes more energy as it does work on objects. This is a logical premise I think we all can work with
>>
>>377292815
So the room is moving?
>>
>>377292781
I probably misinterpreted your first question but ill try my best, someone said earlier that even if you put a coin on the table, and hit around the coin, it will still jump, probably explaining how it just "hops"
>>
>>377292853
Do you mean the ramp when you say platform? Because theres no portal on the platform the cube sits on
>>
>>377291856
The speed of the portal only affects the time it takes for the cube to fully transit through the portal. The cube's velocity is 0m/s as it is stationary and hasn't moved in real space.
>>
>>377292912
Yes, the ramp. the hole is not moving here.
>>
>>377292897

The room is folding would be the most accurate statement.
>>
>>377292815
Speed and velocity are both relative to an observer. You can't really say the cube is stationary, because it isn't stationary relative to the portal, and that's what matters here.
>>377292852
>teleportation in portal is instant and shown to preserve momentum
Don't give a shit, conservation of momentum isn't very important
>all speed is relative
yes
>portals break the conservation of energy all the time
Exactly, that's why it's hard for me to draw any diagrams and try to explain it rationally, because it isn't very logical. I think this >>377292856 can help, though
>>
>>377292958
So? I don't see your point here?
>>
>>377292903
Imagine the very instant your hand touches the table the penny no longer exists. Did any of the energy from your hand hitting the table have time to reach it?
>>
>>377292973

Just because something appears to be moving upwards because your elevator is coming down doesn't mean it keeps raising when you hit the bottom.

The piston is moving part of the world downward. The entire room isn't raising to hit the piston.
>>
>>377292968
I'm starting to understand.
If you were to stand in the room, why wouldn't you perceive the room folding?
I'm not trying to argue anymore, I just want to learn.
>>
>>377292997
The point is that the hole is not moving.
>>
>>377293050
no?
>>
>>377291856
The cube doesn't travel. Its position in 3D space is remapped - this doesn't use velocity
>>
>>377293120
Yes thats nice dear.
>>
>>377293164
How?
>>
>>377293139
I probably should have actually read the reply chain instead of just replying to you
Then the penny doesn't bounce, so as the piston slams into the platform, the cube is already off the platform meaning it doesn't get affected by the vibrations
>>
>>377293080

This is where it gets weird.

If you imagine space itself as a grid attached to the world, that grid is expandong and condensing at certain points in order to reach the cube. Your perception will always perceive this grid as having perfect squares because light is bending with the grid as well.

I wish I was in a position I could try to animate this, but basically seeing reality as normal is an optical illusion.
>>
>>377293189
Via portal
>>
>ITT A-fags make up bullshit about how portals work, none of which is stated in game, or even implied, in a backwards way to justify their conclusion, rather than looking at the evidence we know and coming to a conclusion based on evidence, like B-fags do.

At least it's difference from "muh hoops"
>>
The problem is that the cube isn't moving through the portal, the space is bending and moving around the cube.
>>
>ITT people use real world physics to explain the mechanics of something that is physically impossible
>>
Someone post the original fucking image
>>
>>377293216
I might need clarification but since the force from the piston does not make it jump, what other force will push it upward?
>>
>>377293243

How else would you connect two points in space?
>>
>>377293064
There is no difference between an object moving upwards and everything else in the universe moving downwards. To be fair, there isn't anything called up or down in the universe, these are just useful concepts
>>
File: f26.png (126KB, 537x483px) Image search: [Google]
f26.png
126KB, 537x483px
>>377293218
>expandong
>>
>>377293307
Why do A fags never put is this way?
This is something I can understand, not some bullshit about hula hoops.
>>
>>377292296
>afags are retarded and assume that everyone is one person and also incapable of understanding context
Go figure.
>>
For all the mentally deficient A fags: imagine that the cube is on a tall platform that also fits through the portal. Does the cube stop moving then?
>>
>>377293064
>>377293363
If there is relative movement between two bodies, work must be done on one of them to make them stationary to one another
>>
>>377293337
Its not being pushed upwards, its position in space has changed so that it is outside/above the other portal, It'll probably immediately fall down and either bounce off the lip and fall to the floor or fall backwards into the portal and stop existing
>>
>>377293414
>i-i-it totally wasn't me!!! i swear!!!
>>
File: listen here you little shit.png (54KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
listen here you little shit.png
54KB, 250x250px
It's A dumb retard.

Velocity does not appear from nothing, cube has 0.
And no, you can just slat the relativity theory and b done, it does not work that way. In fact, it is not even applicable here in a way to support YOUR shitty theory. If anything, it proves A, cube just slides down.

>>377293318
It is not impossible per se, the idea of portals through space/time been discussed since ages ago.
>>
File: AorB.png (28KB, 1352x1044px) Image search: [Google]
AorB.png
28KB, 1352x1044px
>>
>>377292632
>It would take longer for an object to fully transit through the portal if the portal is moving away

> is the speed at which they instantly resume their course on the other side

This is a contradiction. If the particles instantly regain their pre-portal speed, but the transition speed of the object differs from that speed, the object will be stretched or squished by the transition. In the case of a stationary cube, where the particles resume to speed 0 after transition, the whole cube would end up as a 1-particle-think pancake on the surface of the portal.

To get scenario A, the behaviour would need to be:
>While the object is transiting through the portal, its speed with respect to the exit portal is its speed with respect to the entrance portal
>Once the object has done transiting, its speed with respect to the exit portal changes to its pre-portaling speed with respect to the exit portal.
>>
>>377293453
I'm retarded and keep thinking the portals are in some way touching because my brain is off. It would touch the platform it was previously sitting on and slide down the ramp, or maybe the vibrations would then affect it
>>
>>377293363

But we can see that the acting force is the piston. If it turned out that the entire room was being shoved upwards by a piston from below the room then I would agree with B.
>>
Hello, I am an Afag and I love penis. I am objectively wrong at physics and basic logic.
>>
>>377292815
At what point does the cube stop being influenced by the portal? For example, if the orange didn't hit the platform, but could keep moving around, would this cause the cube appear to fly around the room on the other side? This doesn't seem like it would make much sense, but it should be acceptable based on what you are saying.
>>
>>377293625
>being this insecure and pathetic
>not being able to defend his position
>resorting to shitposting

classic B-fag
>>
>>377293610

Yeah it slides down from two acting forces of gravity acting upon it.
>>
>>377293562
B. The hand outside the portal is moving the speed of the train because muh linking of space
>>
>>377293613
The piston is accelerating the cube, but according to A-fags, the cube immediately decelerates upon exiting the portal.
>>
>>377293518
>>377293625
WELP ITS CONFIRMED GUYS AFAGS ARE ALL WRONG
WE CAN ALL GO HOME NOW
>>
>>377293453
i thought portals were basically holes in space which conserve the varibles of light/particles (heat, momentum, angle of velocity, etc.) and instantaneously move them from one x,y,z coordinate to another. I think that people think A and B differently due to their understanding of how portals work, which is of course fine since portals are purely theoretical.
>>
>>377293736
Yes thats what portals are. what about it
I've been up for too long to be talking about portals
>>
>>377293653
>afags incapable of understanding how his arguments are completely and utterly retarded
Go figure.
>>
>>377293683
No it does not.

In your head, what is happening inside orange portal is Cube moving upwards like it is being accelerated by piston, but it ISN'T.

The only acceleration here has the piston with blue portal but it DOES not transfer it to cube in any way.

See what >>377293307 said. It is sure hard to wrap your head around it because you use normal physics understanding.

There is no acceleration happens. If anything, supposedly orange portal and the space it is atatched to SHOULD have acceleration but it is impossible as well.
>>
>>377293627

It should only "travel" so far. Eventually it vecomes connected with a more squarish portion of the grid. To us it would look like it was suddenly slowing down, but reality is that space is just normalizing around it. It should "travel" as far as the portal moves until gravity has brought it to the ground.

Essentially it would be like a water hose. Everything in the hose is moving out at high pressure and then losing momentum as it leaves the hose and reaches a lower pressure environment where it can expand.
>>
>>377293562
This is literally the opposite of the situation we're discussing, it's as if the cube went halfway through the orange portal on the ramp and then the blue portal slammed on the ground. Either the cube would fall off the blue portal because half of it is being pulled that way because gravity, or if you found a way to balance the cube between both portals, the impact of the blue portal and the half a cube with the platform would make the cube jump out the orange portal, obviously. In this case, the arm gets torn off.
>>
>>377293683

The cube stops "moving" when the blue portal stops.
>>
>>377293404

Because it's really freaky to think about and even Einstein talked about it and said it was scary and he wasn't comfortable exploring it.
>>
>>377293550
As I understand it would take an impossibly large amount of energy to keep a portal open for more than an instant.
Take this with a grain of salt because it's just something I saw on youtube a few years ago.
>>
>>377293918
The cube does not move, it has NO velocity.

Space that Portal wraps it around DOES. But there is no acceleration transfer happens to cube.
>>
>>377288531
The cube would just slide down the ramp, not shoot as if it gained momentum from the portal moving.

Imagine somebody punching at the portal, the fist and arm would exit quickly from the other portal and then stop, the person wouldn't be shot out of the other portal because it's not in motion.
>>
>>377293989

That's why I put the word "moving" in quotations.
>>
>>377288531
The cube would most likely just slide off of the platform. Here's my reasoning:-

The orange portal comes down on it but the cube isn't moving. It would be like floating in a pool and somebody passing a hoop over you; you aren't moving so you don't start moving. Thus, the cube comes out of the blue portal but is immediately subject to the change in direction of gravity meaning it could possibly slide down the stop.
>>
>>377294031
No, you're not taking on the force of the platform if you're not touching it.
The rim of the portal hits the platform and the force is transferred through the platform to the cube.
>>
File: Afags_on_their_way_to_work.png (23KB, 1800x420px) Image search: [Google]
Afags_on_their_way_to_work.png
23KB, 1800x420px
>this is what afags believe
>>
>>377294134
You're not thinking with portals faggot
>>
>>377294031
B interpretation: In this case, the person would feel a tug in their hand from the momentum given by the moving portals.
>>
>>377294182
You're certainly thinking with dicks though you flaming homo.
>>
File: AorBWindowEdition.png (32KB, 1352x1192px) Image search: [Google]
AorBWindowEdition.png
32KB, 1352x1192px
>>377293562
>>
>>377293918
>when the blue portal stops.
The blue portal never started.
>>
>>377288531
>2017 and Bfags still exist
>>
>>377294285

The blue portal is the one on the piston. It's moving. Technically the orange is moving with it as the points in space are bound.
>>
>>377294092
Stop with the hoop analogy, it makes you sound retarded.
>>
File: CuX_vEUWcAAEaJb.jpg (101KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CuX_vEUWcAAEaJb.jpg
101KB, 768x1024px
>velocity appears out of nowhere

How to spot bfag and college-dropout - The Guide
>>
Cut a hole in a piece of paper

swipe that hole over some object like that cube

does it shoot away?
>>
>single atom of cube passes through portal
>single atom stops any form of movement as the rest of the cube is compressed into it
>end up with a black hole from the sheer density of the compressed cube
>>
>>377294423
nature is disgusting
>>
>>377294134
no they arent stop shitposting

Theory of relativity has nothing to do with current puzzle
>>
>A moves at 40mph to envelope B and is ejected at C which is moving at 40mph for a net change of 0
This is a door

>A moves at 40mph to envelope B and is ejected at Cwhich is moving at 0mph for a net change of 40
This is a non existent portal anons are sperging about.

The numbers must be equal not counting gravity and wind resistance.
>>
>>377294423
It baffles me how anyone can think it is B, for fucks sake.
>>
>>377294269
Isn't this the same as the hula hoop analogy?
>>377294392
My mistake, I thought it was the other way around.
>>
>>377294431
wtf I just accelerated my stationary pen with 99999999999m/h
>>
Aren't both platforms moving towards each other?
Nothing is perfectly stationary.
When you fall to earth earth falls to you too.
Earth has more mass so it does more pulling but the effect is still there.
>>
>>377294523
Sure, but if the platform with the cube on it is moving then the slant with the orange portal on it is also moving. Afags will say the speed of the cube with respect to the orange portal shouldn't change, while Bfags say it should change, just like before.
>>
>>377291993
An object in motions will stay in motion unless a force acts upon it.
>>
>>377293868
I take it what you are trying to say is that the cube comes out in a bubble in space where everything moves around it rather than the cube moving through space. That bubble eventually pops into the normal space. I still have two problems with this. First, I would expect that bubble to start collapsing the moment any part of it passes through the portal. This means the cube would be entering into the second rooms space on top of itself, which would either cause the game to crash or create a compressive stress on the cube leading to scenario B. The second problem is under the assumption that to bubble does not quickly collapse as the cube enters the portal. Under this assumption, wouldn't the ground not actually be able to stop the cube? The space and matter where the ground is would be able to warp around the cube rather than interacting with it. If the orange portal stops and closes at an inappropriate place you could have the bubble popping and make the matter of the cube overlap with something else, which may also cause the game to crash.
>>
File: portal cube meme.jpg (23KB, 655x369px) Image search: [Google]
portal cube meme.jpg
23KB, 655x369px
>>377294192
No, the portal is merely a connection between two points. You could remove the portals all together and make it a person on a skateboard on top of a platform with a wall hiding the person from view, and the platform would suddenly move quickly to the side. To observers it would appear as if the person on the skateboard is rapidly exiting the platform but in fact has no momentum, it's the platform that has. Back to the portals, it's the platform that's moving, the cube will exit quickly then stop. You could also think of the exit portal as the one moving and not the one on the platform.
>>
>>377293218
If light bends with the spacetime, then the cube should be invisible on the other side, right? All the light on the orange side will just go around the cube, while all light reflected by the cube bends back to the portal.

The whole concept of moving something just by bending spacetime makes little sense, since location itself ist completely based on spacetime. If the cube doesn't move in spacetime, then however you bend ST, it shouldn't have any easily observable effects.
>>
File: explain this a fags.png (90KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
explain this a fags.png
90KB, 1080x1920px
>>
File: 1495099846617.png (19KB, 217x424px) Image search: [Google]
1495099846617.png
19KB, 217x424px
what now?
>>
File: elementary.jpg (17KB, 217x424px) Image search: [Google]
elementary.jpg
17KB, 217x424px
>>377294948
Is this a stationary starting point? Then the cube will probably take the following trajectory after gravity accelerates it.
>>
File: 1495099846617.png (19KB, 217x424px) Image search: [Google]
1495099846617.png
19KB, 217x424px
>>377295172
>>377294948
sorry i meant it as 2 views.
>>
File: Does gravity go through portals.png (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Does gravity go through portals.png
99KB, 1920x1080px
>>377295172
Do you think gravity can go through portals?
What about high and low pressure fronts?
Imagine you open a portal on top of a sky scraper and one at sea level.
Would it cause a high-low air flow?
>>
>>377295246
we know that portals only transfer velocity (at least this is the only known fact from game) so I'm not sure how gravity will affect it in this case.

IF the cube positioned pefectly for Portal to cut it in the middle it either stays like that in the center or slightly bend right on top and down in bottom portal.
>>
>>377295359
it depends if gravity is found out to be a quark or not
>>
>>377294937
Conversation of momentum is violated, I'm guess there needs to be a force on the platform for momentum to stabilise, and thus what should happen is that the platform slows to conserve momentum.

Therefore, Anything going through a portal while the portal is moving and the portal'd object has no momentum undergoes acceleration and thus gives a force to the platform to a degree which would conserve momentum.

ie, platform will slow down and the object inside accelerates?

This also gives a scenario of things being sucked through portals in contact. presuming that there is a vector force field on the portal surface.
>>
>>377295246
Still stationary?

Is that black line a floor? If so, the gravity from the upper half will drag the cube rightwards, until it hits the edge of the portal, at which point I have no idea what the fuck would happen. Seriously, that's more interesting than the whole A vs B stuff.

If it's not a floor, then the cube will drop out of the orange portal on a slightly rightward trajectory and fall on whatever is below the portal.
>>
File: 1495104141501.png (24KB, 217x424px) Image search: [Google]
1495104141501.png
24KB, 217x424px
>>377295246
The box would slowly slide across the platform and then stop when it reaches the edge of the portal.
The forces acting on the box are proportional to how much of the box is in each area. I don't think the gravity in the second area would be able to overcome enough of the gravity in the first area to cause the box to roll over the edge.
>>
>>377295515
>if so, the gravity from the upper half will drag the cube rightwards
It wont though. Or, rather, it depends how much of a cube matter pops out from blue portal. If more then mass will be more and the gravity will have stronger effect on it therefore making it move.

But if mass is equal on boss side OR smaller on blue side it will be stationary
>>
>>377295359
Standing next to a portal on a wall, with the other end facing downwards, does not seem to effect Chell at all in game. It's to be simplest to assume that gravity acts like portals don't exist.

Air pressure is particles, and thus will flow through the portal.
>>
>>377295359
Pressure would definitely go though since it is nothing but particles bouncing around and air or any other mass can go through a portal.
>>
File: 1495099846617.png (25KB, 217x424px) Image search: [Google]
1495099846617.png
25KB, 217x424px
>>377295417
>>377295515
>>377295527
you sure about that?
>>
>>377295706
>Air pressure is particles, and thus will flow through the portal.
Hmm, but what id the difference in pressure from one side of a room to another?
a little? or a lot?
I imagine the farther the distance between the portals the higher the barometric pressure difference potential.
Imagine the Delta P effect but with portals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0
>>
>>377295863
Yes.

In the original pic we still have one gravity point - earth below.
>>
>>377295664
It depends on the surface materials and the angle as well.

The sideways gravity is sinA*massUpper*g.
The friction is (massLower+cosA*massUpper)*g*u where u is the friction coefficient.

If the sideways gravity is larger than the friction, the cube moves. If the friction is larger, the cube doesn't move.
>>
>>377295863
see
>>377295664

Depends if positioned perfectly or the cube part peeking out of blue has more mass/matter transfered on the other side.
>>
>>377295906
the same amount of gravity on each half is taking place
>>377295863
why would the gravity on the blue side overtake the gravity on the orange side?
>>
>>377294886

The thing is that the space of the platform the orange portal is on is veing moved beneath the cube. Essentually picking it up from below.

You can see it because even though the ligh is bent, it moves along the grid as if nothing was bent.

Honestly, there's a reason portals aren't real.
>>
File: A.png (822KB, 1707x1843px) Image search: [Google]
A.png
822KB, 1707x1843px
>>377291856
the momentum completely stops as soon as the piston hits the ground.
i dont know why but putting a drawing on it makes it look really condescending sorry
>>
>>377295895
This happens at the end of Portal 2.
>>
>>377295895
This was pretty explicitly shown in portal 2:

https://youtu.be/usyYqJf0rfk?t=565
>>
File: answer-to-portal.gif (57KB, 800x1080px) Image search: [Google]
answer-to-portal.gif
57KB, 800x1080px
A FAGS BTFO.
>>
>>377295895
>>377296416
So we basically back to "portal == hole or window"

Therefore A is correct answer.
>>
File: a fags btfo.png (77KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
a fags btfo.png
77KB, 636x424px
movement is relative
>>
>>377296639
It's both. Just because it's a window doesn't mean physics doesn't apply to it.
>>
File: obama finds this fag funny.jpg (24KB, 510x383px) Image search: [Google]
obama finds this fag funny.jpg
24KB, 510x383px
>>377296635
kek'd
>>
So what happens if you slam the portal down on the cube but stop the platform once exactly half the cube is in the portal? Will it lift up and be thrown through?
Fucking Bfags
>>
>>377296694
In this case it is clear B
Cube has velocity.
Portals preserve velocity.

I mean, we have the same scenario in Portal games in every puzzle...
>>
>>377296712

It can't be both because SOMETHING is happening to that cube.
>>
>>377296712
No, it isn't.
In the original example in OP - answer will be A

In order or it to be B - see post literally above yours. Cube needs velocity. applying velocity to window will not transfer velocity to cube unless make window frame to transfer it to cube but we know that's not the condition we have
>>
>>377288531
why don't we just wait until we actually made portals possible?
should just take 250 more years
>>
>>377296781

intelligent and handsome B friends understand that that edited image and the original are actually depicting the same scenario
>>
>>377296382
>p = ma in a closed environment momentum is always conserved

But this is not true with portals. Just by having them face the same direction, if an object moves through the portals and changes direction, its momentum vector turns from v*m to -v*m, causing a net change in momentum of -2vm.

Unless you're assuming the surface the portal is on experiences the opposite change of momentum. But you can explain any momentum change away with this principle, so it leads to no new predictions.
>>
>>377296639
>So we basically back to "portal == hole or window"

I don't think anyone is debating this. It is the obvious basic definition of a portal and doesn't do anything to resolve the problem. Stationary objects don't move though stationary windows, so it isn't A. Windows don't apply a force to an object, so it isn't B.
>>
>>377296897

We have wormholes.

Really, portals can't exist outside of space because you can't fold spacetime into a physical object because it de-stabalizes the space curviture and closes the hole.
>>
>>377296034
Cause one is closer to the centre of mass of earth silly.
>>
>its this thread again
portals aren't real *rolls eyes*
>>
>>377296721

>>377291517
>>
>>377296942

Honestly the most logical result is that the portal couldn't let the cube pass while the cube is motionless and should just stop when it hits it.
>>
>>377296968
Wormholes have never been observed. Also, portals are 2d holes, while wormholes would be 3d.
>>
>>377296942
That's not how it works.
You don't need force here, we have gravity

That's why it is A. The cube still falls down because affected by gravity on the other side more than on the starting side due to bigger mass.
>>
>>377291436

>>377291572
Answer this fucking question before this thread continues.
>>
>>377297089

>Wormholes have never been observed

There's some exciting new stuff out there for you to read when you have the time.

They've finally been observed but only for a split microsecond. Black/dark matter has finally been officially seen as well.

Science is getting spooky.
>>
>>377296926
p=mv* that was a typo
yup that is true, but what i was trying to explain there is that the momentum from the moving portal piston does not immediately translate into the cube, rather than into the ground. as the guy i replied to implies that somehow the momentum suddenly gets translated into the cube magically. because the cube is always at 0. even if you flip the cube velocity, -0mv^-1 is still 0mv^1
>>
>>377291572

No one is pulling the cube, though. Things are just moving around the cube.

Also it really depends how heavy that rope is and how much force you put onto the pull.
>>
File: 1467856412713.jpg (15KB, 436x413px) Image search: [Google]
1467856412713.jpg
15KB, 436x413px
Either the box moves through the portal at 0m/s or it's B.
>>
>>377296382
You seriously expect me to read all that?
I don't think it was condescending, at least you can back up your argument.
I was convinced of A before you posted anyway.
>>
>>377297393
wow ur dumb
orange portal going through cube accelerated it at 10000km/h dumb retard!

>not knowing he can go light-speed instantly from stationary posiiton without any external or internal force

learn physics!
>>
>>377297395

The box moves at 0m/s.

Space folds at the speed of the blue portal and moves to the other side of the cube.

Portalsnare representations of a point in space.
>>
>>377297395

The box isn't moving here. It's the portal moving and shapeshifting time and space. It's just SCIENCE.
>>
>>377297523
>>377297549
sounds like horseshit desu
>>
>>377297025
As I've always said, the cube would be crushed.
>>
>>377297301
The standard B interpretation does not say that the momentum of the piston is transferred to the cube. It says that the cube gains momentum just from travelling through portals that move with respect to each other.

The piston could be made of foam or tungsten, and the cube would be launched at the exact same speed of V_blue - V_cube. The momentum in the piston doesn't matter.
>>
>>377297604

Portals are horseshit
>>
>>377297604

You're going to love theoretical science in university. Just wait until you have to learn quantum.
>>
>>377297025
Why?
>>
>>377291372
It has to move in order to come out of the exit side you fucking dolt.
>>
how autistic b fags get is pretty funny, its really a though, because the cube isn't moving
>>
>>377297025
This is the right answer, it also happens ingame. It acts just like it was a normal piston without the portal on it. Portals cannot move through objects because they aren't hula hoops that you can just wave around freely.
>>
>>377291372
> If it entered through a portal moving 10km/s, while being tossed into the portal at 10km/s, it would rematerialize at 20km/s
but this goes against what you just said
>>
>>377297731

Because a moving portal is pulling a section of space behind it. When it hits the cube, part of that cube now exists in that space being pulled by the portal. That part of the cube is now being pushed into thr rest of the cube that hasn't hit the portal causing resistance between those points in space. The cube is technically being pushed into the podium it sits on by it's upper layer.
>>
>>377297643
of course the material of the piston does not matter, but how does the cube generate force to launch itself? Before the portal moves through the cube, it's at 0 velocity and since all variables except direction (which is flipped) why does the cube suddenly burst in speed?
>>
>>377297936
Portal magic, generally speaking. Same BS that makes stationary portals cause net changes in momentum due to direction changes. I don't think there's a satisfactory answer to this.
>>
Why do people keep falling for these repeated troll threads. The OP does the same thing every time.
>>
>>377288749
>>377288625

That's retarded. You're retarded. Physics does not work that way. Stop trying to explain things that you clearly don't understand, you retard.
>>
I've always seen it this way : if the entrance and exit to a set of portals are travelling at different velocities, anything traveling through the portals must experience a change in velocity equal to the difference between the portals.
It's demonstrated very clearly in that one rocket webm, if anyone has that please post it.
>>
>>377297897
It rematerializes at 20 m/s, but slows down to 10 m/s when it's completely through.
>>
My instinct is that the cube will have no speed, leaving the portal, and will just fall on the next side because of gravity.

I'm not a physicist though.
>>
>>377297886
The cube can still pass through the portal because the normal force from the ground/gravity is pushing it. If it was floating in space, then it wouldn't pass.
>>377297025
Thats probably because the devs said fuck it in regard to moving portals because it got complicated, if they probably worked on it more then yes.
>>
>>377298019

Portals just change the face of the transform and keep the vectors in relation to the transforms facing, though.
>>
>>377297929
I see, that does make sense, yes.

I would not say it is correct answer but I see logic
>>
File: Screenshot_6.png (38KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.png
38KB, 299x168px
>>377298053
>Why do people keep falling for these repeated troll threads. The OP does the same thing every time.
>>
>>377297395
This desu

In order for A to happen the box needs to instantaneously transport, there can't be a "midway" or else the box needs to instantaneously decelerate.

But you can clearly pick up a portal and stick if midway through a portal, so B.
>>
>>377298019
oh i can see why people believe in B, that explains alot
>>
>>377298175

The box doesn't have to decelerate, though. It's the room coming towards the box that decelerates.
>>
>>377298157

Yeah it's hard to say how it should react from there. Personally I think the portal should de-stabalize and close but if it HAS to go through then given that the cube is being pushed into the podium the entire time then it would be A.
>>
GUYS

THE CUBE DOESN'T

GUYS

GUYS LISTEN

THE CUBE DOESN'T 'START' MOVING

THE PORTALS CAUSE

GUYS

THE PORTALS CAUSE SPACE TO BE MOVING TOWARDS THE PORTAL QUICKLY

THE CUBE IS SIMPLY SHOVED INTO A SPACE MOVING FAST AROUND IT, NOT IT MOVING

BUT THAT MEANS THAT THE BOX IS MOVING AT SPEED RELATIVE TO THE SPACE'S SPEED AROUND IT

THEREFORE

IT'S

B
>>
>>377298108
> but slows down to 10 m/s
but y tho
>>
>>377298423

Space curviture exists outside the effects of relative velocity. The box doesn't move.

Have none of you ever actually read the theory in full along with the cited research materials?

What has education come to?
>>
>>377291372

Actually the box would travel at a rate of 20m/s but would only have the speed of 10m/s. The other 10m/s is the direction of space going towards it, and the moment the space stops moving the box is going to resume traveling at 10m/s.
>>
>>377298423
How does space start moving?
Does space have momentum?
>>
>>377298560

Because it was never actually moving at 20m/s. It was moving towards something that was moving at it at equal speed so the relative speed was doubled. Once one of the objects in the relationship changes speed the relative speed is modified. That's why in the original scenario the cube loses all momentum when the blue portal stops moving behind it.
>>
>>377298790

Space is flexible. It lacks momentum because it has no physical body, but you could say it has speedd of travel.

There's a reason this shit isn't a popular field.
>>
I love /sci/ /v/.
>>
i was convinced of B when someone posted that variation where the platform is thinner and the orange portal keeps moving down it.
>>
>speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out
>not speedy thing goes in, not speedy thing goes out
its really this simple, its A
>>
Imagine you're on a pillar and the portal descends on you, stopping a bit below the pillar. Will you get thrown in the air?
If not, then imagine the pillar is a mile tall and the portal stops after that mile. Would you still not get thrown in the air on the account of space 'warping' around you even that far from the portal?
>>
>>377299168
>not speedy thing goes in a reverse speedy thing, gains speed equal to the reverse speed of the reverse speedy thing its going thorough, speedy thing goes out
fixed
>>
>>377289106
Yeah a little bit not launch in the air
>>
>>377299168
>not speedy
You are aware of what speed is right? The absolute value of velocity which is the change in distance between two reference points over time.
>>
File: L4sgHJsljk23.jpg (47KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
L4sgHJsljk23.jpg
47KB, 1152x648px
What happens when the portal doesn't stop?
>>
>>377299464
yeah sure because this is a completely sciencey post with science and facts
>>
>>377299512
b
>>
>>377288531
>take cardboard tube
>SLAM it down on top of a small cube
>cube doesn't come flying out the other end, doesn't even move

how the fuck is a portal any different
>>
>>377299631
You heard it here first.
B is the correct answer. The box flies out of the portal.
>>
Alright, imagine this. You stick your head through a portal. Make sure you're not touching the portal, just stick your head through. Now the portal is going to move. What happens?

I bet 99% of you will say your head moves with the portal. Maybe a couple of hardliners will say your head "stays in the same place" because it lacks momentum. But there's a problem with that. See, if your head moves with the portal, that means that it's also staying in one place - relative to the portal, and also relative to your body on the other side of the portal. Conversely, if your head "stays in the same place," then actually, it is moving relative to the portal - and also your body. Meaning you'd get decapitated by the movement of the portal.

This shows two things. 1. Portals exert forces on the things that pass through them even without touching them, any way you slice it. 2. Portals create two frames of reference in which something can be moving and not moving at the same time, any way you slice it.
>>
>>377299709
entrance and exit of the portals are travelling at different speeds
>>
>>377296694
ok wtf i'm legit a bfag now.
>>
>>377299820
doesn't matter

imagine a tube that extends from your hand to the ground, the cube is on the ground, cube does not move despite entrance and exit of the tube are travelling at different speeds
>>
>>377299512
so cube is in -gravity retard?
>>
>>377297260
>Black/dark matter has finally been officially seen as well
how, where
>>
>>377300145
It's in space.
>>
Nothing there moves through space excluding the piston. It's the space itself that bends and moves.
>>
>>377300316
>a simple box moves
>fucking space itself moves

Boxes are easy to move. I don't even know how you expect to move space.
>>
>>377299778
i can 100% prove that the head would move with the portal is we consider the portal games canon.
the portal games take place on earth (and a bit on the moon) both of those are moving, the earth especially rotates fully every day.
meanwhile you can stand half in a portal all day and see no effect of the rotation of earth.
>>
>>377300448
That's what portals do though, they're wormholes.
>>
>>377300245
>>377299512

Then it will be variation of A where cube just floats and/otp reserves its velocity and movement upon leaving orange portal.

If it was in 0-gravity but with air and not vacuum it would be spinning because that properlling blue portal and the mount it is placed upon would move air mass and affect floating cube.

Still no acceleration transfered to cube itself.
>>
>>377300448
>I don't even know how you expect to move space.
With portals obviously.
>>
>>377300203
>paying any attention to michio kaku spouting unsourced nonsense
>>
File: dscf40961.jpg (198KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
dscf40961.jpg
198KB, 1280x853px
>>377300547
And now you're making things up.
Do you even know what a wormhole is?
>>
>>377300695
Do you anon?
>>
>>377300765
Of course I do. I just posted a picture of some wormholes.
>>
>>377300472
Right, yeah, I was also pretty confident the head would move, which is consistent with B. But my real point was that the alternative answer, consistent with A, that has the portal decapitate you, doesn't actually address the common criticisms against B. It still requires the portal to exert force and it still requires something to move even when it's not moving.
>>
>>377300887
O-
oh.
Didn't notice that, I guess I got as they say, rekt.
>>
>>377300117
>cube does not move despite entrance and exit of the tube are travelling at different speeds
But that's not true in your example or any example that doesn't involve portals for that matter.
>>
>>377300915
>which is consistent with B
how?
>>
>>377300887
>>377300937
thats wood. wormholes don't exist, and are comepletely made up
i hate both of you
>>
Portals don't "move" relative to one another, they are literally on the same spot back to back. They just bend space around them to make it look like they do.
>>
File: wood-wormholes-8094742.jpg (285KB, 1300x957px) Image search: [Google]
wood-wormholes-8094742.jpg
285KB, 1300x957px
>>377301125
>wormholes don't exist
That's bullshit and you know it.
>>
>>377301079
Because it means relative speed matters rather than some untenable notion of absolute speed that doesn't exist in a world of double frames of reference.
>>
The only time the cube can have any momentum is when it's no longer on the original side to any measure. At that time, there is no longer any energy from the movement of the portal, and as such, the cube has no momentum related to the movement of the portal. Bfags are forgetting that the original side has an effect on the cube too.
>>
File: version D.png (9KB, 1002x697px) Image search: [Google]
version D.png
9KB, 1002x697px
>>377301461
interesting but i think this is outside the scope of A or B.
>>
>>377301662
>not version /d/
You had one job.
>>
File: portals.jpg (97KB, 921x528px) Image search: [Google]
portals.jpg
97KB, 921x528px
It's close to A.

Just look at it in a continuous way. I don't get where the B idea comes from, there is not one single time when there is any upwards acceleration being applied to the cube.
>>
>>377301889
>cube moves up
>there's no upward acceleration
>>
>>377301889
They basically think that the force of the moving portal transfers to the cube when it passes through it.
>>
>>377301981
Except the cube isn't moving upwards, it's remaining stationary while the portal moves around it simulating motion.
>>
>>377302064
Take any point of the cube and graph its position over time. Yeah, that's called movement.
>>
>>377301889
I agree with A but there is a common misconception. It's not about anything being applied to the cube. It's about the fact that the cube is physically moving upward relative to the blue portal.
>>
>>377302139
You do realise doing that would not show any movement from the cube right.
Once again, the cube is stationary there is no force or momentum being applied to it propelling it upwards
>>
>>377301662
I think it actually applies very well to A or B but I'm afraid it takes a lot of words to explain.

Long story short, I think both frames of reference exist side by side and are true at the same time, but one is a bit more true than the other. It's not like true and false, but more actual and potential, or active and passive. The potential frame of reference is what it looks like looking through the portal from the other side, but it is actualised by coming through the portal.
>>
>>377302267
cube moves up relative to the orange portal desu
>>
>>377302154
>It's about the fact that the cube is physically moving upward relative to the blue portal.
and im physically moving the speed of light relative to light coming at me from my screen as i stare motionless at it.
>>
>>377301981
>cube is stationary
>it doesn't move
>it has no momentum

best way to think of it is like this. just have 2 portals on a wall next to each other. You charge at the portal on the right and leap through it, you come leaping out the second portal.

if you are stationary, you arent moving through the portal, but imagine a similar setup where theres 2 portals on a wall, this time the wall moves forward 1 metre, then backward 1 metre. You're already half way in the portal, so when the wall moves forwards, is half your body going to get shot across the room? no.
>>
>>377302267
Draw a coordinate system such that the cube is not moving.
>>
>>377302369
Light behaves funny anyway in relativistic ways so let's leave that out of it.
>>
>>377302369
No need to try and convince me. I already understand that space is moving around the cube.
>>
Objects maintain their momentum when travelling through portals.

A stationary object has no momentum.

Why the fuck is this STILL an argument?
>>
>>377302431
If the portal moves quick enough, yes, you will be propelled.
>>
pannenkoek could answer this definitively once and for all.
>>
>>377302612
You won't. At most you would feel the vibrations of the two surfaces clashing but that's not enough to propulsion.
Where does this propelling motion come from?
>>
>>377300970
im tallking about a telescopic tube, with an end that stays in your hand and one end that will fall down from your hand to the ground

theres no difference between that and the portal
>>
>>377302659
I don't know if SM64 can simulate this.
>>
>>377302705
Yes there is, because in your example the cube is obviously not coming out the end.
>>
>>377297549
>The box isn't moving
You just sound plain stupid now.
Everything in the universe is moving dimwit.
>>
>>377302704
From part of your body moving through space when the portal moves.
>>
>>377302705
holy shit you're retarded
>>
>>377302886
yes because there is a distance between the end, but the portal is the same only the distance between two ends is zero
>>
>>377302909
>From part of your body moving through space when the portal moves.
You're completely stationary. The portal is moving around you.
>>
File: 1494853326596.jpg (26KB, 315x365px) Image search: [Google]
1494853326596.jpg
26KB, 315x365px
>>377302937
you can't be serious
>>
>>377298325
Where does all the force go though?
>>
>>377302332
Nobody understands what I'm talking about here, do they?
>>
>>377302984
lol so you run out of arguments? guess i win
>>
>>377302978

Same as >>377302437, draw or define a coordinate system such that the person is not moving.
>>
>>377303010
sure thing retardo
>>
>>377303076
yeah you really debunked me there
>>
>>377302989
Outward.
>>
>>377288531
The cube has no momentun of itself and no force is being exerted on the cube except gravity, so when it pops through the portal it just slides down and falls to the ground.
>>
>>377302937
Is distance of zero is no distance.

The only reason your tube example works is because there is a distance and that distance keeps increasing as the tube extends, which is what extending means. The portals, however, maintain their zero distance relative to each other.
>>
>>377288531
>not understanding the portals: the thread
>>
Portals break if the surface they're on moves. This might be a game play specific mechanic or not
>>
How can people think that the block is going to propel itself without anything pushing it towards the portal?
It's not like you'll fly 50 feet into the air if something circular falls around you, there's nothing to transfer that energy and force to you.
>>
Okay Afags, imagine you're standing right outside the blue portal (or whatever portal the cube would be coming out of in any of these diagrams)

So you're saying if you looked in the portal and saw a cube flying at you at x/kmps you'd just stand there, confident it wouldn't fly the fuck out and hit you as soon as the portals met?
>>
>>377303630
Elaborate. Why would it fly at you?
>>
File: thinkingwithportals.jpg (115KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
thinkingwithportals.jpg
115KB, 800x640px
>this thread again
>>
>>377303596
Burger education. This board consists mainly of Americlaps.
>>
>>377303713
The way I see it, if you're watching this event happen, you'd see the cube emerge from the portal at the same speed the platform was moving toward it at.

I'm not going to pretend I understand how theoretical portals in a video games work, but if it does in fact emerge at that speed, and there's nothing to remove the speed the cube obtained, it's obviously more likely to keep traveling.
>>
>>377303596
How difficult is it to understand that the object passing through a moving portal IS moving? asdahfgadsfa

By the very definition of movement in our spacetime the object is effectively moving, and the fact that it is moving at some speed and it has mass is enough to define momentum by the very definition of momentum. You don't need to look for a cause, it is there, by its own definition. Portals break enough rules already.
>>
>>377303630
It wouldn't. The cube is stationary, the only thing that moves is the portal. As the portal moves over the cube the dimension you're in falls over the cube, instead of the cube shooting into your dimension.
>>
>>377303596
Portals themselves transfer energy, it should be obvious if you think about it.
>>
>>377303978
Your dimension isn't moving, though. Being that it's the same dimension as both portals are in.

You're looking at it from the perspective of the entry portal but that perspective is only valid as long as the cube hasn't actually entered the portal yet.
>>
>>377303908
>you'd see the cube emerge from the portal at the same speed
You'd see the cube enter and exit the portal but the cube isn't the object that's moving, the portal is. Unless the energy from the moving portal can be transferred into the cube to create an upward force there's nothing propelling the cube.
>>
>>377304101
Right, and the other dimension isn't moving either, therefore no kinetic energy is exerted onto the cube as it enters the other dimension.
>>
>>377304308
>the other dimension isn't moving either
But it also is seeing how it's being moved towards the cube.

Similarly the cube is also both moving and not moving.
>>
File: hot and cold.png (81KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
hot and cold.png
81KB, 636x424px
Is this what should happen?
>>
>>377304303
If there was just a portal and no platform propelling it downwards, I might think you're correct.

But if the cube moves through the portal at all, is energy not transferred? I could see some sort of dimensional friction slowing the cube, so the outcome wouldn't be so dramatic as the one presented in B. As far as I know, energy is created when the platforms meet, and since the cube is the only free object, there's no where else for that force to go.
>>
>>377304554
The only thing that's moving is the portal, everything else is at rest.
>>
>>377304739
The portal is also moving and not moving.
>>
>>377304739
The platform holding the portal has a lot of mass.
>>
>>377304706
There would be a slight hop at the most from the resulting impact but not enough to actually propel the cube anywhere.
Unless it was made out of paper in which case both the impact and the air being forced through the portal would carry it like a bird.
>>
>>377304678
The cold air would get sucked down into the blue portal and out the orange, if you wanted the hot air to continually rise up you would have to move the orange portable to the opposite side of the room of the blue portal's current position.
>>
>>377303630
Do you duck when you see train going at you in cinema?

You may.
But you understand there is nothing to be afraid of.
>>
>>377298570
In both cases the box has moved.
The box has gone through the portal in both cases and therefore has move, that's not what we're debating.
What we're debating is how far would the box go through the portal?
>>
File: Portals.png (22KB, 1343x651px) Image search: [Google]
Portals.png
22KB, 1343x651px
/v/, what would happen in this case?
>>
>>377288749
>The force of the moving portal platform smashing against the lowers one transfers it's momentum through reverberation.
That's not how portals work. As in real life portals. As in open shapes.

If you drop a open door frame or an open window or whatever on top of someone. That portal won't simply transfer its momentum through reverberation and send the person flying. That's not even remotely what would happen.

Rather the person would be largely unaffected by the falling portal.
>>
>>377304947
c
>>
>>377304883
I dunno, if the train were to actually come out of the screen because it's not a projection but literally a portal to another place, I think getting out of the way might be advisable.
>>
>>377304947
A or C, depending how portal physic behave in this case.

See >>377297929 for C
>>
>>377291573
>relocation
There is no relocation whatsoever. The portals warp space. It's merely the connection of two different spaces.
>>
>>377304967
>a several pound box wouldn't get affected by a several ton piston
>>
>>377305029
Ok, let me rephrase.
Let's say you bring some cave ape man who never saw cinema. On the big screen he sees a rock rolling towards him.

What would he do and WHY would he do that?
>>
>>377304947
All possible, depends on the speed of the piston, and the mass and material of the cube.
>>
>>377304947
A. Because nothing would happen to the cube whatsoever. The cube was always just standing still.
>>
>>377304947
I think for it to be B the cube would have to go more than halfway through the portal before it stops, otherwise the inertia would keep it where it is. I don't think it'd be C unless it's particularly brittle stuff. In conclusion, could be any of those depending on precise circumstances.
>>
>>377304967
It's really a matter of shock absorption. If not properly absorbed anything not tied down becomes a projectile.
>>
>>377305118
I think we can all answer that question, there's just no point to it because it doesn't apply here. Because something is actually coming out of the portal.
>>
>>377305272
>because it doesn't apply here
But it DOES

You only will be sacared of moving cube in case if you don't understand how physics work.

Lack of your understanding is what would be the reason behind your fear.

A person who had understanding and knowledge on the subject would not be afraid. And he probably would make fun of you being a dumb ameriburger
>>
File: xevNO8W.gif (946KB, 301x308px) Image search: [Google]
xevNO8W.gif
946KB, 301x308px
What's so hard to understand about this?
Even if the other side of the frame was magically on the other side of the globe, the physics wouldn't have been affected by that at all. Because all relevant actors in the scene would still be behaving exactly the same. As would the physics.
>>
>>377304865
I see your point, but consider this alternate scenario. The cube is bolted down. If your face was on the other side of that portal, in range of the cube, your skull would be crushed.

Now think of the same scenario, but the cube is not bolted down, just as before. Again, the cube might slow down enough to drop it's velocity, but it probably still be lethal at a much larger range.
>>
So let me try to get the argument for each side here.
The argument for A is that since the cube isn't moving beforehand that it doesn't start moving as soon as the portal hits it.
The argument for B is that the cube gains velocity when it goes through because since the blue portal is stationary and the cube is emerging at the speed that it is being taken in by the orange portal it preserves that momentum and keeps going.
A would only work if portals had a way of keeping something going through them stationary until it is all the way through them, unless I'm reading this all wrong.
>>
>>377305357
Get reaaaaaaal close to the portal. Within a cube's breadth, say.

How hard will it hit you?
>>
>>377288531
Just think of a door frame (and all the matter behind it, in this case a ramp) being propelled towards you while you are unmoving and against a wall.

you will be left standing there and stumble and fall. Same will happen to that box.

Those portals act basically as movable doorways and just fuck with your mind if you try to apply it to a real life situation.
Only this door has a ramp at the other side
>>
>>377303630
It would be scary, of course. But you're still misunderstanding.
The cube is standing still. Relatively speaking, it's you who are moving closer to the cube not the other way around.

So it's the equivalent of driving at high speeds and then abruptly stopping right in front of the cube. Scary, sure. But nothing dangerous.
>>
>>377305617
>have an understanding
>do a stupid thing

Why would a sane, intelligent person do that?
Stop being retarded and moving goalposts you look pathetic
>>
>>377305385
The thing about that is that "the same" is relative depending on which end of the portal you're looking at the situation from.
>>
>>377305705
It literally doesn't matter what side of the portal you're on.
>>
>>377305687
So you have an understanding that you're going to be hit in the face? Why, how could you get hit by something that's standing still? Monty Python had a gag once about an upper class twit dumb enough to get run over by his own car. That's the level of absurdity A implies. A flying circus.
>>
>>377305770
Well, technically, there's only one side, but what matters is which way you're going through the portal.

From one end the cube is standing still, from the other it's moving. As it goes through the portal it leaves the frame of reference from which it is standing still and enters the one in which it is moving.
>>
>>377305796
>that goalpost moving

>first it was "stay near the portal"
>now, after being proven wrong - "please literally show your face into portal"

Bfags everyone.
Desperate, dumb and pathetic
>>
>>377305403
>The cube is bolted down. If your face was on the other side of that portal, in range of the cube, your skull would be crushed.
That's not because of the "motion" of the cube but rather because of how fast it goes through the portal and appears on the other side.
If it's not bolted down it's just going to hop and flop.
>>
>>377305862
>Well, technically, there's only one side
What? No. Just like a door and a window there are two sides.

>From one end the cube is standing still, from the other it's moving.
And you're wrong. They're both stationary from both sides of the portal. They're all standing still.
The only thing that's moving is the portal itself. Which only effectively means that the space between the two are shrinking.

But the only thing actually carrying momentum, is the portal itself. Like in >>377305385.
>>
>>377305385
It doesn't work this way because both the bottom of the window where he enters and the top of the window that he comes out of are both moving at the same speed. In the portal situation the bottom of the window (orange portal) is moving, but the top of the window (blue portal) is not.
Because the orange portal is moving but the blue one isn't the cube is going to be coming out of the portal at the speed that the orange portal is coming down.
>>
>>377305965
The fact that you think goalposts are being moved at all shows your lack of understanding. I think you're trying to avoid admitting what would happen. You would get hit by the cube. Which entails that it is in fact moving. Which entails that it would also hit you if you're standing in its path further away. You have proven nothing wrong. You just started babbling about cinemas and refused to entertain any examples actually involving portals.
>>
>>377305673
>>377305968

As soon as the cube goes through the portal, the relative speed of the cube to the platform (stationary) becomes irrelevant, and becomes the speed of the portal itself (moving).

If you admit the cube moves through the portal at all, then the question becomes not where the speed comes from, but where it goes. There's nothing keeping the cube from not moving at this point. It is no longer stationary.
>>
>>377306114
>What? No. Just like a door and a window there are two sides.
You can have two ends of a portal on the same wall, though. Both portals end up in the same room. In a broader sense, when trying to determine whether the portal is moving or not, both the moving and non-moving end are in the same frame of reference. There's not another dimension on the other side, it's the same one. This is possible because they are portals.

>And you're wrong.
Except I'm not, and simply looking in the portal confirms this. How else would you call it when you're standing still and something is coming towards you?
>>
>>377306118
In which case the force should be imposed on both sides of the object going through and it would be crushed by the opposing forces pressing down on it from either side.
But that's not the case is it.
>>
>>377306118
>Because the orange portal is moving but the blue one isn't the cube is going to be coming out of the portal at the speed that the orange portal is coming down.
That makes no damn sense whatsoever in any way at all.
To begin with. The portal is literally one and the same. You speak as if you're imagining two portals, but that's incorrect. The distance between the two sides is zero. You don't have two portals, but one portal with two sides. Only that warped space separates the sides while staying connected.

The "orange portal" falling is the same as if the "blue portal" was falling. Because they're literally the same portal. That's warped space.
There is no teleportation. The portal doesn't move anything. It just connects two points in space. One portal, two points in space, connected.
>>
>>377291083
Portals are not wormholes, they're portals.

They are VERY different concepts.
>>
>>377306428
Exactly. same space connected but the cube is not accelerated in the mentioned space.

Therefore it is stationary.
>>
>>377306273
>How else would you call it when you're standing still and something is coming towards you?
It's coming towards you because the space between is shrinking. Because of the portal moving.
>>
Imagine a man holding a cube out at arms length. He is holding the cube out over a rail. On the rail is a windowframe with no glass, that comes fast along the rail and hits the end right before the man.

The cube and his arm go through the middle of the window, but they are not moving. The window is moving. So when the window smashes the bumper at the end of the rail, it suddenly stops.

Now image a go-pro is attached to the windowframe. From the perspective of the go-pro, the cube and arm come flying through the window and suddenly stop without slowing down.

This is what would happen with the portals. The cube would emerge quickly from the portal and then suddenly stop when the falling portal hit the ground. Gravity would then cause the cube to gently slide off the incline.
>>
>>377306527
>Therefore it is stationary.
Yes. Which is what I have been arguing since the beginning. There is no movement anywhere aside from the portal itself.
Like in >>377305385.
>>
>>377306570
Thank you. This is exactly it. I've been trying to say this.
>>
>>377306428
But the blue portal standing still is necessarily also the same as the orange portal standing still.

Fact is, portals create two frames of reference, not one. Just like the portal is in two places at the same time, so it is both moving and not moving at the same time, and so is the cube.
>>
>>377306280
How is there a force coming down on it? I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure it's as simple as: the cube enters the orange portal, which is moving at X. Because the orange portal is moving at X, the blue portal must also be moving at X for the cube to stay stationary (as in the picture you posted). Because the blue portal isn't moving the cube moving through it will be moving at X.
>>
No you fucking niggers.
There as hole in the press, simple as that, it doesn't matter if the hole is connected to another place in space, the cube would just jump a little (from the press hitting the platform) and then fall over to the side. Stop pretending you know math.

t. Physicist
>>
>>377306531
The portal also isn't moving. It is in fact staying right next to you.
>>
>>377304947
A, if the box is Heavy and Strong
B, if the box is Light and Strong
C, if the box is heavy at the bottom, light at the top, and weak.
>>
>>377306669
The portal warps space. The portal has two sides. One side is moving. That means the portal is moving even if the other side is, relatively speaking, stationary. It's still moving by virtue of how the space is warping.
One moving portal. Everything else standing still.
It's like in >>377306570, and >>377305385.
>>
>>377306682
>the cube would just jump a little
>t. Physicist
>does not know jack shit about kinetic force

it will only jump "a bit" if the "press" moves with enough velocity to cause kinetic response on the platform it hits
The ыйгфкy space that hits the platfrom on which cube stands also matters
>>
So at the end of Portal 2, Chell grabs the edge of the portal to stop herself from being sucked into space via the moon

but wouldn't the edge of a portal be infinitely sharp? As in, sharp enough to cleave through a diamond with literally zero effort? How the fuck is she holding on to it with her fucking bare hand?
>>
>>377304947
That's retarded, A.
>>
>>377306879
It should be, in theory
but you know, videogames
>>
>>377306836
No, you are privileging one frame of reference over the other. There are two, and the cube crosses over.
>>
>>377306981
>>377306981
>No, you are privileging one frame of reference over the other.
I am not. Rather you're separating the entities too much.
>and the cube crosses over
The cube doesn't move. The space around it merely warps.
I repeat. The cube doesn't move.
>>
>>377306428
I never asserted that they're two completely different things, in fact that's the only thing that would make A work.
>>377306586
You're being a fucking retard here, answer me these two questions. As it relates to any one point on that window that he goes through, How fast is the window moving towards him? After he reaches that point in the window, how fast is that same point still moving past him?
>>
File: 1457388964058.gif (115KB, 291x200px) Image search: [Google]
1457388964058.gif
115KB, 291x200px
jesus christ how do you guys manage to argue about this all the fucking time
>>
>>377307162
In that gif is it the guy moving or the stairs?
>>
>>377306752
>The portal also isn't moving.
But it is. As evident by the moving portal. Standing still to one of its side as it happens doesn't change that.

If anything it'd be more accurate to say that you'd be staying next to the portal and not the other way around. Relatively speaking the distance between the two sides would shrink. But that's it.

Like. Take a tissue or a post-it-note or something.
Take a pen and make a dot on opposite corners of the paper. Giving you two dots.

Alright? Now fold the paper so that the two dots meet.
The two dots are now connected. But neither dot never moved on the surface of the paper. That's how warping space work.
>>
>>377305965
I'll admit my example wasn't perfect, but the point still stands nonetheless as the other anon said.

>>377306428
It's not the speed of the portal, it's the speed of the platform the portal is contained on. Your initial claim about the portal having no distance between "itself" so to speak, is correct, but there are other factors that would affect the cube's speed.

>>377306570
Your scenario adds in a separate factor, the rail. If it were synonymous to the cube and the portal example, then the person would be the standing platform, and their arm would be the cube. If the window hit the person's shoulder, it would be crushed at the speed proportional to the arm shooting out the other side. With the cube, the arm/hand/whatever is not attached, and would retain momentum.
>>
>>377306879

She's holding Wheatley tho, she just holds the edge for a second.
>>
File: how to grab.png (16KB, 534x396px) Image search: [Google]
how to grab.png
16KB, 534x396px
>>377306879
Like this.
But she never touched the portal anyway, only held onto Wheatley.
>>
>>377307112
It literally crosses the threshold from one end of the portal to the other. It can't not move relative to the portal. It is a logical impossibility. And the end it comes out of is standing still.
>>
>>377288531
objects in motion stay in motion, objects at rest remain at rest.

the cube is not moving. it's not going to fly anywhere.
>>
>>377306570
>>377307262
I realized you actually had a cube in your example as well, in which case the cube would try to escape the hand at a velocity proportional to the force of impact.
>>
>>377307262
>It's not the speed of the portal, it's the speed of the platform the portal is contained on.
>the platform the portal is contained on
You're aware that makes it part of the portal right? Like a door frame. For all intents and purposes, the portal is moving.
>>
>>377307224
>But it is.
I never said it wasn't. I just said it also isn't.

>The two dots are now connected. But neither dot never moved on the surface of the paper. That's how warping space work.
Now if only we could keep them together while moving one.
>>
The cube isnt moving you retards.
>>
>>377307398
>a change in space over time isn't motion

weakest bait yet
>>
>>377307384
>It can't not move relative to the portal. It is a logical impossibility.
But you're wrong. It remains still. It never moves. It's the space around it that moves. Or rather warps in this instance.

Essentially. Using other words. The cube stands still. And it's the world that moves.
>>
File: Skele.png (225KB, 737x563px) Image search: [Google]
Skele.png
225KB, 737x563px
>/v/ tries to explain video game physics
>>
>>377307291
Hold the ultra-sharp keramic blade/edge for a second with all your mass

I will see how fine you will be
>>
>>377307384
>>377307539
Both are correct because in the end conclusion is that cube does not gain any velocity and it won't be propelled/accelerated

The beforementioned C is also can be valid, depends how portals behave
>>
>>377307446
I realize this, I was basically trying to establish that even if of the portal itself isn't moving (a lot of people on the A side have) the speed relative to the cube would be created in either situation presented.
>>
>>377307612
Actually I rewatched it and she never holds the portal, she just holds Wheatley.
>>
File: 1493213957943.gif (367KB, 383x574px) Image search: [Google]
1493213957943.gif
367KB, 383x574px
>>377288531
>>377288625
>>
>>377307464
>while moving one
What? But neither dot is moving. We're talking about a portal falling onto a stationary cube. The cube is the dot. The cube is stationary. So is the dot.
The paper moved, as we folded it. Not the dots. It's done there. Corner A connected to corner B of the paper. Just like space A connected to space B in our cube scenario.
The dots stay stationary. As would the cube.
>>
>>377307728
Ok, then it solves the question.

But yeah, if you wanna suck your own dick with portals gotta be careful m8
>>
>>377307750
>these mspain spray tier portal graphics
>implying it's source, the Canon version of Portal physics
>>
>>377307750
Took me a second to understand why logo fucked up.
Clever.
>>
>>377307676
It'd just be like >>377306570.
When the portal stops, it's over. Because none of the related actors beyond the portal, were ever moving to begin with.
>>
>>377307750
>portal colors swapped
discarded
B is correct
>>
>>377307539
>But you're wrong.
I am not wrong. Like I said, it is logic. The portal is standing still. The cube comes out of the portal.

If you say the space moves then shouldn't the space feel the momentum? Is the space, in fact, not the entire universe, which includes the cube and the other portal?
>>
>>377308017
>The portal is standing still.
But it literally isn't. The portal is moving towards the cube.
>>
File: 1472741409574.gif (67KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1472741409574.gif
67KB, 500x364px
>>
>>377307669
Right, it does not gain any velocity and will not be accelerated.

It will just keep moving at the speed it was going relative to the portal.
>>
File: you_win.jpg (55KB, 653x519px) Image search: [Google]
you_win.jpg
55KB, 653x519px
>>377308085
Winrar
>>
File: 1478973060251.png (80KB, 984x447px) Image search: [Google]
1478973060251.png
80KB, 984x447px
>>
File: autism.jpg (19KB, 720x316px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
19KB, 720x316px
>>377308091
>cube has zero velocity
>portal surface starts moving
>"Right, it does not gain any velocity and will not be accelerated."
>suddenly 0 velocity isn't 0 despite nothing gained
>>
>>377307761
>We're talking about a portal falling onto a stationary cube.
That's movement, isn't it? Try to make the dot fall while it's touching the other dot and meanwhile the other dot isn't falling.

If we could literally replicate portals with a piece of paper we wouldn't need portals.
>>
File: moiyncraep.png (167KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
moiyncraep.png
167KB, 512x480px
Aren't wormholes actual portals i real life? Why can't we just find a wormhole and test it out?
>>
>>377308082
The cube is moving towards the portal.

Or rather both are true but it depends on which side you're on.
>>
>>377308091
>It will just keep moving at the speed it was going relative to the portal.
And that speed was 0.
If I run towards you at a high speed it won't suddenly make you generate a ton of speed because of how you'd end up relatively closer to me due to me running closer towards you.

Even if the space between us was to close because of me running. Your speed would remain 0 for as long as you'd remain still.
>>
Have the creators of the game ever commented about these threads?
>>
>>377308209
We'd have to be able to move a wormhole and find where it lets out.
>>
Portals are real, there are no physics that would actually apply to them. You are all gay.
>>
>>377308271
>The cube is moving towards the portal.
It isn't. The portal is moving towards the cube. There difference is essential and incredibly important.
>Or rather both are true but it depends on which side you're on.
Which side you're on is completely and wholly irrelevant.

Yes. The cube ends up closer to the portal. True. But that's because of the portal moving, not the cube.
>>
>>377308085
This is the right answer. Anyone who says otherwise is a retard.
>>
>>377308198
>>377308273
It's about frame of reference. If you're on a moving train, it also doesn't feel like you're moving.

The cube's 0 speed was always relative. And relative to where it was, assuming the orange portal keeps moving and ignoring gravity and wind resistance, it would still look like the cube maintains its 0 relative speed to someone looking at it through the orange portal. But in order for that to happen it actually does have to shoot out the blue one.
>>
>>377308085
/thread
>>
>>377308437
>It isn't. The portal is moving towards the cube. There difference is essential and incredibly important.
There is no difference. Both are true at the same time.
>Which side you're on is completely and wholly irrelevant.
No, this difference is essential and incredibly important. Whether the cube passes through the portal or not changes everything, because it moves into another frame of reference.
>>
Imagine the portal is big enough to fit both the cube and the platform through it.
The platform would appear to be moving as it passes through the portal, thus launching the cube away from it.
>>
>>377308505
Yes. And the earth spins around its own axis at ridiculous speeds all at the same time as the earth itself rotates around the sun at ridiculous speeds.
This is all made relatively irrelevant by how the earth's mass absolutely dwarfs anything on it.

You'd still just end up with >>377305385.
>>
>>377308198
>>377308273
>>377308437
You're completely misinterpreting every piece of evidence put clearly in front of you. Look at the picture of >>377291856
If the orange portal is moving at one speed relative to the cube, the blue portal must necessarily be moving at the same speed relative to the cube. Because the blue portal is not being moved whatsoever, the cube instead is moved at that speed away from the portal.
>>
>>377308085
Both scenarios are functionally identical. Just imagine the blue portal doesn't just envelop the cube, but also the platform on which it stands. Now the cube is suddenly being pushed out of the way by a platform coming out from under it.
>>
>>377308696
The key word being "appear".
As in it's not actually moving. The moment the platform has been fully engulfed by the portal the cube will fall.
>>
>>377291856
So you have a cube in mid air? Of course it moves. It's fucking gravity.
>>
>>377308757
Stop referring to that retarded picture as an example you absolute neanderfuck. BOTH SIDES ARE MOVING HERE. How can this be made any clearer? In this scenario the entire window is moving the entire time In the portal scenario only one side is moving, the other isn't.
>>
>>377308505
>If you're on a moving train, it also doesn't feel like you're moving.
So if you are in a car. See pic in >>377294134

No matter how you feel about it you are still moving in a car or train, though.

But when Portal moves towards cube the cube itself absolutely gives 0 fucks about portal and gains no velocity.
>>
>>377308757
>And the earth spins around its own axis at ridiculous speeds all at the same time as the earth itself rotates around the sun at ridiculous speeds.
Exactly. So movement is always relative. You're standing still relative to the Earth but in reality you're hurtling through space, but that's also only true in relation to everything else in space. So you can't objectively say the cube is standing still and the portal moves. Because, relative to the Earth, you have a moving portal and a stationary one. But in order to pass through a portal, you must at least move relative to the portal.

This means one of two things. Either it's B, or the cube implodes on the threshold as it is unable to emerge from the stationary portal. But it will never be A.
>>
>>377309048
> Either it's B, or the cube implodes on the threshold as it is unable to emerge from the stationary portal. But it will never be A.
No, it is either A or C, as explained before and as it happens in game itself
>>
>>377308887
But it will actually be moving because the portal it's coming out of is not, and the portal it's going into is.
Portal moves, platform doesn't, portal doesn't move, platform moves.
>>
>>377308765
No one is misinterpreting it.
It's just that the picture you've presented is entirely irrelevant and shows no knowledge of basic physics.
>>
>>377308338
Yeah. They confirmed A on level 10 of the original game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoWpLuEq0Q&t=37s
>>
File: You're all faggots.png (348KB, 1000x2736px) Image search: [Google]
You're all faggots.png
348KB, 1000x2736px
>>377288531
>>
>>377309027
Note the filename on that pic?

Fact is, the cube absolutely does give a fuck about the portal. Stick a cube half out a portal and move the portal around. The cube would move with it.
>>
>>377309115
There is no C, unless you mean the implosion, and it doesn't happen in the game.
>>
>>377309121
>But it will actually be moving because the portal it's coming out of is not
The pillar and cube is not in a state of motion it remains on that same spot that it was in at a velocity of 0 while space is warped around it.
There is no bridge to transfer the force of the orange portal and it's platform to the cube.
>>
>>377309048
>So you can't objectively say the cube is standing still and the portal moves.
Relatively I can. Because as stated, the Earth dwarfs everything on it. The cube and the portal included.
>But in order to pass through a portal, you must at least move relative to the portal.
No. It's enough for the portal to move relative to you. The difference is what can be seen in >>377308085.
>But it will never be A.
You mean, it can only be A.
>>
Pointless to even argue about this as portals are impossible in real life.

You are instantaneously making a stationary object have a velocity without applying any force, which doesnt make any fucking sense.

But whatever its kind of B. An object (with mass) with a velocity has a momentum so that cube would actually come flying out of the 2nd portal before the moving portal even hit the table. This is because the potion of the cube that had gone through the portal now has a velocity on the other side, and in turn a momentum, meaning it would begin to pull the rest of the cube through, causing it to sort of be sucked in.

The tricky part is the initial lack of acceleration, the change in velocity from rest to the velocity of the moving platform is truly instant and I dont know enough about physics to tell what would happen to matter but I'm pretty sure it is strictly impossible.
>>
>>377309123
I can see from your post that you are indeed not misinterpreting it, because you aren't interpreting it at all. There's just no way to argue with you because you'll immediately say something as intelligent as "no ur rong im rite" and disregard anything you're presenting that clearly proves otherwise.
>>
>>377309307
No, not the implosion. See
>>377297025
>>377297929

Basically, depending on the force press pulling down it either stops or break/implodes cube. Both are C, though.

You need quite amount of force tho
>>
>>377309347
>relative to you
to the cube*
>>
>>377309347
>Relatively I can.
Right, well, relatively, the portal both moves and it doesn't.
>No. It's enough for the portal to move relative to you.
That's literally the same thing. That's what relative means.
>>
>>377308815
>specific conditions of the test clearly shown in the gif
>"IMAGINE something else!"
good science there, fucktard.
>>
>>377309468
>That's literally the same thing. That's what relative means.
No. No it's not. That's really not it. You're misunderstanding relativity.
>>
>>377309416
>because you aren't interpreting it at all
It's more that myself and everyone else has already taken apart your flawed post. Linking to it again isn't going to change what happened previously in the thread. Now read before you shitpost again.
>>
>>377309135
This isnt the same situation. You enter and exit the portal with momentum in the video.

The OP is about a stationary object gaining momentum from a moving portal.
>>
File: portals.jpg (49KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
portals.jpg
49KB, 1080x720px
>>377309345
Then what will happen to the cube after the portal stops moving?
The platform it's on is rising up from our perspective, because the portal it's coming out of is stationary.
>>
File: 1481494633100.png (124KB, 5000x2571px) Image search: [Google]
1481494633100.png
124KB, 5000x2571px
>>377309481
>gif shows what I want to see without any physical or theoretical evidence to back it up, so therefore, the gif is right.
>>
>>377309602
It literally says that portals don't affect momentum.
>>
File: leave.jpg (26KB, 251x297px) Image search: [Google]
leave.jpg
26KB, 251x297px
>>377299464
>not knowing portal quote
>trying to participate in discussion he does not belong to

please leave
>>
>>377309135
Why can't this video be used to end these thread from the get go
>>
>>377309650
>Then what will happen to the cube after the portal stops moving?
In that scenario?
Nothing at all.

In the original scenario?
It just rolls down the side.

All of the force is in the downward portal and that's not being transferred into platform and block.
>>
>>377309692
This.
Simple as that.
Cube has 0 velocity.
Portal flops.
Cube still has 0 velocity.

Wow science is hard!
>>
>>377309481
Yes, changing the parameters of the experiment one at a time to see what changes is in fact good science. Especially since we can't actually perform the experiments and I'm trying to make you realise they're the same thing.
>>
>>377309602
>You appear to understand how a portal affects forward momentum, or to be more precise, how it does not.
Now rethink what you said
>a stationary object
>gaining momentum
>from a moving portal
>from a
>portal
Remember how portals affect momentum? They don't.
>>
>>377309159
>faggot A has 0 speed
>faggot A has 200 speed
nowhere did you explain why. i assume its the portal magically giving the speed of the speed of the portals movement but if that were the case wouldnt it transfer that speed to individual atoms as it made contact chopping the subject into slices with the first piece sent out ahead of the second?
your concept of portal's is a death trap.
>>
>>377288625
there is literally a webm out there that tests this ingame and it's B. I'm surprised that out of almost 500 it hasn't been posted once
>>
>>377309586
I'm sorry, care to explain? Because it looks to me like you're throwing logic and meaning out the window.
>>
File: 517.jpg (9KB, 248x233px) Image search: [Google]
517.jpg
9KB, 248x233px
>speedy thing goes, speedy thing goes out
>not speedy thing goes in, thing comes out speedy but then suddenly stops being speedy as soon as its out
>>
>>377309650
Nothing? The platform with cube isn't moving it is displaced in space

Wormhole connects two dots in space.
>>
>>377309481
Also, I mean, you're imagining the whole thing either way.
>>
>>377309601
Yes, I can see the mountains of evidence for A's side against that post, such as "the cube doesn't move", clearly proving how wrong it is while never even making an attempt to disprove it. the only one that actually uses scientific terms to try and debunk it completely ignores the fact that the cube is exiting the blue portal at a certain velocity before there is even a chance for the momentum to be transferred into the ground.
>>
>>377309803
It's yet to end the thread though, besides >>377307750 is probably the most definite visual we'll get on what happens. unless some one want to fuck with narbacular drop to see how those portals react since it's the game that portal is based on.
>>
>>377310052
Guess what it's called when you're displaced in space?
>>
>>377309839
>>377309692
The cube has velocity coming out of the portal though. The cube cannot come screeching out of the portal into the new system and just stop and flop over.

Both A snd B have fundamental flaws, neither are possible. Threads like these are pointless. Newton is rolling in his grave.
>>
>>377309692
It's relative though.
>>
>>377309159
But both A and B are in the same sphere of space in all of our cases here. So what are you even doing separating them?
That's ridiculous.
>>
>>377309650
Anyone struggling with this, what would happen if the cube is instead suspended right above the orange portal when the platform comes through?

Obviously it's going to carry the cube upwards, but would it stand still afterwards because the pillar isn't "technically" moving? Haven't you already violated that principle at that point?
>>
>>377310113
teleported?
At which speed you are being teleported when you appear 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 kilometers away from earth in less than 1picosecond?

Rhetorical question
>>
>>377310114
>The cube has velocity coming out of the portal though.
No it doesn't. The portal doesn't squeeze the object before passing through leading to a violent ejection. It's just a hole.
>>
>>377310114
>Both A snd B have fundamental flaws, neither are possible. Threads like these are pointless. Newton is rolling in his grave.

Well, we still have C. Which does make sense too
>>
No one has explained how the cube magically gains speed upon exiting the portal.
>>
File: cube fall down, cube go up.jpg (51KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
cube fall down, cube go up.jpg
51KB, 1080x720px
>>377310249
>>
>>377310492
its portal bro XD
>>
Jesus fucking christ /v/ is practically a black hole for thought. This is almost as bad as when someone posts a simple logic puzzle and retards argue they're still right even when they've been proven wrong.
>>
File: 1382135915973.png (287KB, 502x502px) Image search: [Google]
1382135915973.png
287KB, 502x502px
You can't say it's A without establishing an absolute frame of reference, which is believed not to exist.

If you consider inertial reference frames, the only potential answer is B.

Either way, portals violate physics and it's a pointless discussion.
>>
>>377309974
A running towards B at 10 km/h, closes the distance between A and B at 10 km/h.
But this is not the same thing as B running towards A at 10 km/h even if the distance between them would close at the same speeds.

I don't really know what else to say. In both these scenarios both A and B have different properties from each other. A moving at 10 km/h doesn't make B move. Relativity doesn't change that or else you're just throwing linguistics out the window which would make the physics useless too.
The distance between them is closing at the same rate, but only one has any velocity. A physical vector. That's the only one that's moving. Relatively speaking. They're not the same.
A's velocity doesn't give B suddenly give B any velocity since B's vector remained constant. Even with relativity.

I really tried my best to explain this. But I did not throw out any logic out the window. This is just plain physics.
>>
>>377310492
It "gains" speed as soon as any part of it leaves the portal because both of the portals must be moving the same speed relative to the cube.

The blue portal does not move, the orange does, so the cube moves relative to the stationary one as it is stationary relative to the moving one.
>>
>>377310531
>left is subject to gravity until it hits the platform on the other side
>right has no velocity and the force of gravity is stopped by the platform
It's warping space, the block and the platform do not move.
>>
>>377310818
They very clearly do, they're moving out of the stationary portal because the moving portal is pushing the stationary platform into itself.
>>
>>377288531

How do these threads still get so big?
>>
File: 1374951991225.jpg (129KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1374951991225.jpg
129KB, 1280x720px
>portal moves at 2m/s
>cube therefore exits at 2m/s
>when the moving portal stops, the cube also stops
The only way this is possible is if a universal reference frame exists. Unless you can disprove Einstein's research, this isn't possible.
>>
>>377290923
The perspective of the entrance portal isn't as important as the perspective of the exit portal.
From the perspective of the exit portal the cube goes trough at a certain speed.
There is nothing in the way to stop the cube so the cube will keep traveling at that speed.

The cube is at rest before it travels trough the portal, therefor the act of traveling trough the portal has given it kinetic energy.
>>
>>377310976
bullshit is easy to create and hard to debunk.
>>
>>377310887
>They very clearly do
That's what appears to be happening because we can't comprehend more than three dimensions. The reality however is that the platform and cube have absolutely zero forces acting upon it other than the gravity keeping it grounded.
The portal does not transfer anything to the objects it is enveloping it's merely connecting two different parts of space.
>>
>>377311013
>>cube therefore exits at 2m/s
But with 0 velocity and without any momentum.
>>
>>377311125
what about the air?
>>
>>377311232
It exits at 2m/s, but with 0 velocty and momentum? Is this the average intelligence on this board? You don't even have a concept of reference frames and tried to rationalize it as A somehow. Take elementary physics before posting.
>>
>>377311460
It exits at 2m/s but the cause isn't because of the movement of the cube it's down to the movement of the portal.
So it appears out of the blue portal that fast but carries no forward momentum.
>>
>>377311460
Well yeah. Because the cube never really moved.
It's more accurate to say that the exit rushed towards the cube at 2m/s. Claiming that the cube moved at all is thinking of it in reverse and not fully accurate.
>>
>>377311604
>>377311721
What you're attempting to describe is the motion of the cube given an absolute frame of reference, which does not exist. It's obvious you're not very well versed in physics.
Thread posts: 530
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.