[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone hate this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 17

File: Ff8_logo.png (283KB, 650x529px) Image search: [Google]
Ff8_logo.png
283KB, 650x529px
Why does everyone hate this game?
>>
whatever...
>>
it's not ff7
>>
>>377287312
Because its cool.
>>
>>377287312
Only FF9 hipsters hate it because the general consensus is that FF9 was a step backwards on many aspects compared to FF8
>>
>>377287312
obligatory "that's not my problem" and "whatever"

I liked the worldbuilding, the OST, the spell system, and the charm of some of the characters. Honestly, that's already enough to enjoy any game.
>>
>>377287312
Spoony.
>>
The storyline was shit.
>>
>>377287456

Pretty much. It's not the greatest game in the world but it's not bad by any stretch.
>>
File: 2920311-doomtrain_ffviii_art.png (446KB, 763x450px) Image search: [Google]
2920311-doomtrain_ffviii_art.png
446KB, 763x450px
Story goes downhill after disc 1
Corny plot elements like all party members coming from the same orphanage
Junctions and drawing magic weren't all that great

Still my favorite FF though
>>
>>377287312
>draw system
>junction system
>encouragement to not level
otherwise everything else is good, however the story can only be fully enjoyed when fully engulfed in a gallon of acid.
>>
>>377287312
Drawing magic sucked
Plot went off the rails after the first disc
Not a single character was remotely likable except Selphie
Way too much focus on the awful romance
>>
File: tfw no gf.png (4KB, 175x151px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no gf.png
4KB, 175x151px
>>
>>377287456
this

When I browsed the internet in the 90s the general consensus was that it was a really good game. Then spoony came around 2007 and talked shit about the game and everyone agreed.
>>
>>377287504
>Corny plot elements like all party members coming from the same orphanage
It wasn't a bad plot twist in and of itself, they just didn't make any lead up to it so it was too out of left field. Nobody mentions that they're having a serious case of deja vu when they start joining the party. Nobody really mentions that the GFs eat memories. Vincent never said anything.

FF8 is just a really unpolished gem with some beautiful facets sticking out.
>>
>>377288246
Or any follow up. It was so bizarre--oh hey we're all from the same orphanage and also our memories are slowly being erased, but that's ok, let's just not talk about any of this EVER again. Other stuff in the game felt weird and out of place too, like NORG being in the basement.
>>
it plays bad
laguna is the only good character
the random rule has been spread throughout the region
>>
>>377287312

Did not even know people disliked FF8 until I came to this board full of cynical crybabies.

Still a better game than any modern JRPG if you are not a complete weeb.
>>
>>377287312
FF8 is the only Final Fantasy game I actually like.
>>
>>377288246

They talk about the GFs and memory loss right at the beginning of the game and as people have pointed out there are some hints along the way. They're easy to miss but it's wrong to say they don't mention it at all. Even with the explination though it's a serious asspull that didn't need to be included.
>>
>>377289000
What hints?
>>
>>377289065

Certain people will expect you to know who they are or talk about events you should remember and be disappointed that you've apparently forgot all about them. It's presented as a joke or Squall being an aloof douche but in retrospect alludes to the fact that the GF's are eating your memories.
>>
>>377288884
The game would have been better if it was just about Laguna and his travels to make cash and glory and find Ellone. Then shove a butch dyke into shrink wrap.
>>
>>377288016
Fucking genius
>>
The story is a complete mess full of elements that feel like they were put in because they were cool without a single thought behind them. (Lunar Cry, the Ragnarok saving Squall and Rinoa, pretty much the whole space sequence actually, time compression, the orphanage twist, the gardens being able to float as well as the missile scene leading to that revelation) There are probably more but that's just what came to mind, in any case it all adds up to make the story feel ridiculous.
Outside of that, some people feel that when presented with an option in a game, they absolutely must carry it out to its fullest even if they don't like it. This is how complaints about drawing are born.
>>
>>377287312
I don't HATE it but
>most of the characters are terrible
>battle system is too easy to break (even by FF standards)
>overworld is ugly and monotonous
>plot is retarded
>don't even like the card game

VII > IX > VIII
>>
>>377289897

>battle system is too easy to break (even by FF standards)

You don't play a FF for a challenge. You play it to figure out how to break the fuck out of it's system and go around dealing maximum damage from the first town to the end of the game.
>>
>>377289897
I thought I was the only one
>>
>>377287312
Shitty gameplay and battle system

shitty story

shitty character

best blond ship tho
>>
>>377287312
Kids these days can't relate to such stories.
>>
It was the beginning of unrelatable nonsense storytelling in FF8 about characters nobody with half a brain could possibly care about doing inane things against villains with completely bizzare motivations.

Oh and gameplay sucked too.
>>
>>377287312
They fell for the Spoony meme
>>
>>377287312
the magic system was absolute shit
>whatever
beyond those glaring fucking problems, it's a good game
>>
>>377289000
It's even in the "test" stuff you can do, there's a question about this stuff, if you just pay a little attention to the game they will say this.
>>
>>377287346
>>
>>377289897
ZELLETE THIS !
>>
Level scaling. Game was way too easy.
>>
File: 1479149750753.png (291KB, 702x632px)
1479149750753.png
291KB, 702x632px
>>377289897

>he doesn't like triple triad
>>
>>377287312
>I don't know how to Card, therefore drawing is bullshit
>I don't know how to pickup hints, therefore the GFs eating memory thing came out of nowhere and is asinine
>I don't know how to pickup character subtleties, therefore Selphie is a twat
>I don't understand a simple card game's rule rules, therefore spreading random to this region is bullshit

There's probably more, but those are the common ones that come to mind. And it's sad too, because there's plenty of things valid things to complain about (this thread has some nice examples already) but people would rather complain about things that stem from an inability to pay the fuck attention to simple bullshit.
>>
>>377292131
Another anon pointed something out
>I found a way to break the game and will do everything I can to do so
>this game is too easy
I barely see anyone praising this game for the lack of grind it offers you.
>>
>>377292451

>I barely see anyone praising this game for the lack of grind it offers you.

Because to me drawing, refining and playing cards in order to refine (I have never played cards in order to refine, just in order to collect, because it's the only fun activity in the game, which I refuse to taint.) are worse grinds for they take ridiculous amount of unexciting time instead of just moving onward in the game and fighting what you happen to encounter (because they're usually balanced for that anyway).

You do reach a type of zen with drawing by the missile base at which point you won't notice it anymore.
>>
>>377287312
FF6, 7, and 9 all have:
>a fascinating world to explore
>great music
>interesting characters
Take all that away, add convoluted rules with long boring tutorials poorly explaining said rules, and make the combat as slow and as boring as possible with long summon animations, and you have FF8.

Also, I know some nerd will get angry that I said this, just like we already see in this thread, and just like what happens in every FF thread when 8 is brought up, but you're not going to somehow berate me into enjoying this shitty game.
>>
>>377291507

What dumb nigger expects a Final Fantasy to be hard? It's not fucking dark souls. Final Fantasy is popular because it's always been the easiest jrpg around and they pretty much always offer a savvy player a way to dumb it down even further. Realistically if you don't understand the mechanics properly 8 is probably the hardest Final Fantasy game as leveling in and of itself doesn't really do shit to power up your character.
>>
>>377292131
>I don't know how to Card, therefore drawing is bullshit

Drawing is bullshit and tedious either way.

>I don't know how to pickup hints, therefore the GFs eating memory thing came out of nowhere and is asinine

It's asinine either way.

>I don't know how to pickup character subtleties, therefore Selphie is a twat

Selphie is the most likable character in the game, it's Rinoa who's the twat, and fuck right off if you think there's anything subtle about that cunt.
>>
>>377293865
But FF8 has all these things, maybe less good characters, but the other aren't really award-winning either. Even people that hate FF8 agree that its soundtrack is fantastic.
>>
>>377293874

If you play games without ANY guides, then they will present somewhat of a difficult but fair challenge. If you use guide, then your experience will suck and the game will be too easy.
>>
>>377294115

>Even people that hate FF8 agree that its soundtrack is fantastic.

I know this is unpopular and certainly a personal, but FFVIII is Uematsu's worst FF OST. Every song has an overbearing, I don't know the correct terms for this, single note chord progression, that overpowers the counter melody and baseline (or they in turn do the same to each other and the main melody) becoming the entire song. Thus every song is like water torture where it beeps at you relentlessly, because every other sound doesn't matter. (Under Her Control also beeps, but I like it for some reason there. Man With the Machine Gun and Maybe I'm a Lion are just plain good.)

It's unbearable to listen to. Some of us truly hate everything about the game.
>>
>>377287312
characters are highschool and have no substance. Story shits the bed, characters are unlikable, and panders to depressed kids because their type in championized in squall.
>>
>>377287312
It's a terrible game even by FF standards.
>>
I don't. it was my first FF game and I love it.
>>
>>377294115
I can't really, but it belongs to the finaleft fantasy repituar
>>
>>377287312
playable Seifer would have saved this game's character cast
>>
>>377287312
I don't, I thought it was great.
>>
>>377287312
bad characters
bad romance
retarded plot twists
drawing
level scaling

all made for the game I thought was the worst FF of all time

and then XV came out
>>
>>377296384
>>377298118
>though not the worst in my book
>>377289897
pretty much all this
>>377287404
this is what a FF8 hipster would say since he doesn't know the meaning of the word hipster.
>>
>>377298118
13 beat 15 to the punch
>>
>>377295960
I think Laguna's Theme is literally the embodiment of the 90s in terms of synth pop. I'm embarrassed that I like that shitty tune so much. But it has so much character.
>>
>>377298878
I played 13 and yet 15 sucked more
>>
>>377298928
Laguna had the most character though
>>
>>377298969
I played both as well and I say 13 sucked more, so we are at an impass.
>>
File: 1471599922626.png (3MB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1471599922626.png
3MB, 1280x1920px
>>
>>377298973
he was very authentic.
>>
File: sad jew.gif (13KB, 505x607px) Image search: [Google]
sad jew.gif
13KB, 505x607px
>>377287346
this
not even crisis core is ff7
>>
>>377299026
In the 7 and 8 gamed it was hard to find authentic characters, every one was a shell the player could just self insert too. That's what it felt like to me.
>>
Disc 1 is 9.5/10
Rest is a 6/10
>>
I actually never finished it back in the day because my game would always lock up during the cutscene on disc 1 where Squall gets impaled and falls off the parade float.
>>
>>377298878

Not the guy, but XIII wasn't as bad as VIII. It may have contested it, which is an achievement. However it fell quite short of the mark. The bottom is XIII > VIII > XV. XV managed the inconceivable.
>>
File: 1488974617378.jpg (17KB, 300x325px) Image search: [Google]
1488974617378.jpg
17KB, 300x325px
Because VII first babbys didn't get another overrated garbage with spiky yellow hair protag
>>
>>377287312
because they have bad taste
>>
The biggest problem was the wonky battle mechanics and the level scaling. Otherwise I'd put it on the same scale as ff9. mediocre
>>
I'm a hardcore fan with FF8, so many times I would even try to escape reality with lucid dreaming, I would be in Balamb Garden where I would often train with Zell in the training center and help Selphie with the Garden Festival, but one day as I was talking to Selphie, we went to my dormitory for a private talk. She immediately said, "You know you could live with us forever.." I gave her a confused look and she continued, "We understand that you live on earth and you REALLY wish to live here". I then said "How..How did you know?" She then giggled and said "Because we've been watching you, silly!"

This was a dream come true and I almost cried right there. She then said, "I talked with Headmaster Cid and he agreed that you would be PERFECT for SeeD, you just have to do...one thing". She then held my hand and looked deep into my eyes and said "...You have to kill yourself for the transfer to work correctly." I then gave her some questions, "How long do I have before the deal expires?" She then said "Cid said 3 months.." I added by saying "What's the most painless way?..." She giggled again, "Suicide will require pain buuut...if you want it quick...Get a gun and a nice shot to the head works.

I then agreed and she gave me a kiss on the forehead, "I know this will be tough but once it's over and done, you'll get to live here!" I then woke up and this was last week and i purchased a gun. I might actually kill myself because that dream just felt too real to be fake and my life isn't doing so grand.
>>
File: Aku.png (486KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Aku.png
486KB, 1024x768px
>>377287404
Oh boy, it's the "All FF9 fans hate FF8 and are oppressing its fan" meme, again!
>>
Dunno, you can break the battle system just as hard as otehr FF games.
>b-but you have to grind junction!
Is the worst argument ever, if you want to be OP then grind if not just play the game you can even use cards. Imo it also has the best dungeons, optional content, OST, minigame, towns and summons and the times it goes into playable FMVs is still amazing
>>
>>377287312
I don't hate it, I just enjoy it ironically
>>
>>377300298

>and the times it goes into playable FMVs is still amazing

I disagree with all the others (It has the best final dungeon specifically only.), but this was really great. It's a hugely unfortunate it's only in VII and VIII.
>>
>>377290201
This
>>
>>377300150
Sounds like a plot to a movie in the making
>>
>>377299914
Instead they got just plain garbage with le ebin gunsword hot topic leather six belts protag.
>>
File: 1385890849377.jpg (88KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1385890849377.jpg
88KB, 500x333px
>>377300150
Every fucking time.
>>
>>377300150
is this copypasta?

either way, don't fall for the meme.
>>
>>377300150
>literally kills himself
>oops, no final fantasy dream world for you because you have no brain to lucid dream anymore
>>
Final fantasy VIII out of all the main games in the FF series has:

The best art direction
Top tier soundtrack
Top tier protagonist
The best side content
The best minigame
The best girl characters
The best atmosphere
The best customization
The best limit breaks
The best summons
The best side characters (Laguna and its team)
The most cool moments in the entire series
The least annoying enemies (the game even lets you not have any random encounters)
The best optional boss fights

I seriously don't understand how can you like JRPGs and hate Final Fantasy VIII.
>>
File: YESYESYESYESYESYESYES.png (68KB, 629x417px) Image search: [Google]
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES.png
68KB, 629x417px
>>377287312
>3 person party

Play a real JRPG
>>
>>377305362
>I want your patience, please.
Engrish is so cute.
>>
>>377305204
>The best girl characters

More like the worst.
>generic as fuck genki girl
>annoying slut and spoiled brat who forces herself onto you for plot reasons
>clingy doormat destined to die alone

Literally every other Final Fantasy had better girls.

>The best customization

VII did it better.

>The best summons

X did it better.
>>
>>377288016
kek'd
good one
>>
File: 1494041434329.jpg (174KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494041434329.jpg
174KB, 800x600px
>>377300150
>>
>>377288710

The worst thing about the orphanage reveal is that the game tries to play it off like it closes everybody's character arcs. Like Seifer, the rivalry between him and Squall is set up from the opening cutscene but never actually goes anywhere.
>>
>>377287312
But I don't. It's the best FF, retard.
>>
Oh did you, ever know, that I had mine, on you?
>>
>>377288710
>>377308417

but all of that is.. realistic? I mean, Seifer and Squall rivalry is only there because of personality clashes and too much testosterone. Seifer is like a retarded school bully who does harm for no good reason. how is the rivalry supposed to go anywhere in the first place? it's just teenagers being retarded and then just dropping the ball because it's silly and there's bigger and better things to do.

and about the orphanage meme, like, what are they supposed to do with that? they collectively acknowledged that it happened and moved on. what else should they do in your opinion? same thing what would happen in the real world. some trauma happened or some curious incident, "blablabla I lost a leg that day and now I'm a cripple blablabla but that stupid normie started the fight first" and then it's like "oh well, what can you do about it, let's move on.".

you're just not suggesting better story arc possibilites because none of you guys are experts in that. it's tough to make a mindblowing narrative for etertainment media.
>>
>>377288016
Criminally underrated
>>
>>377309968
>>377305831
>>377289678
newfags
>>
File: Zell_Dincht.jpg (164KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
Zell_Dincht.jpg
164KB, 640x448px
>single handedly stages a successful prison break.
>Is the only one of the orphans who actually gets adopted.
>Only one known to actively search for food. Rest of the party confirmed for androids.
>Punches shit.
>Only one who is knowledgeable about the affairs of the rest of the world. Political situation in Galbadia? Check. History of the Deep Sea Research Facility? Gotchu senpai.
>Has a shrine to his grandfather. He knows respect.
>As a matter of fact, his grandfather was probabbly doomguy. Ever noticed his shotgun on Zell's room?
>Rides hoverboards.
>Alpha as fuck, is the only one who actually has girls swooning over him.
>Master jeweller. Can make a copy of a ring with just some materials.
>Is the source of Squall's tactical genius. Denying the enemy of resources is a valid strategy, even if said resources are hot dogs.
>Is a master martial artist who can learn and create deadly new techniques just from reading magazines.
>Blows so precise he can even swat flies by punching.
>Can run around the world in mere seconds just to punch the shit out of someone.
>Has the strongest Limit Break in the entire game. Lionheart? Get that weak shit outta here.
>A single punch of him is strong enough for people to think there was an earthquake.
>>
>>377287312
I always thought this was the best jrpg there was until i started using the internet back in 2010 and i was told it's a piece of shit and ff7 is great.
>>
File: 1493932696354.png (200KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
1493932696354.png
200KB, 356x256px
>>377305460
>>clingy doormat destined to die alone
DELET
IT
NOWWWWWWWWWWW
>>
>>377310047
>Alpha as fuck, is the only one who actually has girls swooning over him

wait, what? I thought Zell doesn't even care about girls and is just being a side-kick most of the time.

I think even Irvine has better chances simply because he actually tries.
>>
>>377289065
Also the computer in the garden talks about this with Selphies blog posts.
>>
>>377289230
Like the one guy Squall graduates along side and ends up flying the Garden. Squall forgets Guy 1 all the time.
>>
>>377287312
>single ending
>enemy level scaling
>too serious compared to ff7
>shitty weapon system
>>
I literally unironically non figuratively LOVE LOVE LOVE FF8. It's my favorite game ever and it shaped my life forever.

inb4 gay edgy faggot

There was an exact moment to play FF8, a very specific age. People who didn't like it were either too young or too old when they played it. That's the only reason it failed to become the best game ever.

>absolutely great bosses, characters, music, cool story, romance is good, best airship, best locations
>growing up wanting to be a SeeD/having a cool gf
>nowadays I just want to sleep all day and break my gf because she's a huge pleb

There are so many things I regret from life but FF8 is not one of them. FF8 is probably one of the best things that happened in my life.
>>
>>377310047
chicken wuss
>>
>got the demo as a kid
>it was the ENTIRE dollet mission
>replayed it over and over again before it came out

I've never been so hype for a game like this again, you're lucky if demo's give you 10 minutes of gameplay thesedays
>>
File: 662428-ff9_steiner_1024x768.jpg (375KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
662428-ff9_steiner_1024x768.jpg
375KB, 1024x768px
>>377287312
>mfw i liked 7, 8 and 9
>>
>>377311341
The thing I remember most was that the demo had Leviathan and Bahamut as GFs and then I played the game and thought there was a way of getting them before Dollet. Silly little me. At least you can get Lionheart at disc 1.

>>377311923
Me too brother, me too. But 8 and 9 are my favorites.
>>
>>377311923

Same boat. IX is still the best one for me by far.

IX > VII > VIII
>>
>>377287404
My favorite FF is 9 and I absolutely love 8.
>>
File: based conan.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
based conan.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>377298969
Pretty much how I felt too.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.