[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ocarina of Time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

Just beat this for the first time and loved it, but there's something weirdly melancholic about it. Anyone else feel the same way?
>>
File: 1149216571562.jpg (559KB, 1024x1397px) Image search: [Google]
1149216571562.jpg
559KB, 1024x1397px
>>377253130
Glad to hear you liked it. It's always nice to hear that some of these great games are not just "lol nostalgia!", like so many kids want to explain the hype around it.

And no, you're not alone. It's a bitter sweet story, a twisted tale of boy maturing, saving the world, and not getting any kind of real reward. In fact, he loses more than gains in the end.
All that is one reason why I do enjoy some of the pre-7th gen Nintendo stuff: they can be surprisingly deep and dark toned, just hidden behind a seemingly light hearted shell.

I do suggest tackling Majora's Mask ASAP. It's a direct sequel, plays pretty much the same, but it's mood and pacing is quite different. Alongside with OoT, it's easily the other 10/10 game out there in my books, and interestingly compliments Ocarina.
>>
>>377253130
It's the start screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wzMZzdNJA
>>
The final scene of this game rips my heart apart everytime.
>>
>>377253130
When I first beat the game back in early 1999 I felt like my soul was crushed as I watched the ending credits. I loved the experience so much that I was heartbroken to see it end.
>>
it's reddit: the zelda game
>>
>>377253130
I found the atmossphere to be the most melancholy thing about it. The constant dull colors, haze and fog were really interesting components that have always made it pretty spoopy, the horror parts not even included. It's more like the slow burn depression to MM's crazed anxiety attack.
>>
It definitely is. I haven't played all the way through in years- not since the first time I did it when I was little, but I remember a sense of "well, now what?" after I finally beat it. It's a very down beat ending and the music is so low key and sad.
>>
>>377253130
>but there's something weirdly melancholic about it. Anyone else feel the same way?
Yup, the first time I played as a Kid I felt it and I still do. Also the game is comfy as fuck.
Now go play majoras mask :)
>>
>>377254062
Still the best title screen track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enHgdTrKChs
>>377254276
This guy nails it, n regard to OoT's atmosphere.
>>
Are you talking about the game or just the ending in particular?
If the former, Miyamoto once called Hyrule a "foolishly perfect world" It was intentional. Probably like Twin Peaks which he's a huge fan of.
>>
the only peaceful places are non-zombie town, fishing pond and the ranch

even the village has that depressing spider family and the graveyard
>>
>>377254830
>"I noticed that I didn't want to tell a story so much as I wanted to have a lot of people appear around the main character and portray their relationships. Some years back, a television show called 'Twin Peaks' was popular. When I saw that, the most interesting thing wasn't the ins and outs of the story, but what kinds of characters appeared."

holy shit I had no idea
>>
>>377254062

Why don't games have color schemes like this anymore? I mean it just perfectly matches that somber feeling of dawn
>>
>>377255084
>tfw Darunia is Dr Jacoby.
>>
>>377255303
Is Ganondorf Ben Horn?
>>
It was like a perfect world tainted by undue wickedness, death and tragedy. The game opens on that note and in the end there's no resolution. Maybe the most nihilistic game without seeming like it tried.
>>
>>377255546
Yes.
>>
>>377255303
>Ruto is Audrey
>Malon is Shelly
>Carpenters are the Norwegians
>Talon and Ingo are Ben Horne and Catherine Martell
>>
Yes it has that vibe, the 64 one at least. They changed tone in the other releases.

MM too. I loved the mood these games had. I think that Nintendo truly lost that touch and it's trying to really really focus on the "kiddie friendly" too much and it's confusing kid friendly with dumbass kid friendly. We were all kids when OoT came out. I loved how the game looked so vibrant and charming and then takes the turn into dark and gruesome like in The Bottom of the Well and all those Redeads straight out of a nightmarish fever dwelling below Hyrule's ground.

The contrasts in the games are what makes them expansive since they don't just focus on a single aesthethic, theme or landscape. So when you're going against Ganondorf, you truly knew what was a stake, both sides of the spectrum.
>>
I think most early 3D games give off that vibe for some reason.
>>
>>377255668
Everybody throws a big party in Hyrule Field at the end, what are you talking about?
>>
>>377253130
No

The official /v/ approved opinion is that it's shit. Fuck off
>>
fucking shills on my /v/ fuck off OP make your money in a real job
>>
>>377253130
It's the perfect hero's journey. I always thought TP and SS just didn't compare despite being more story heavy. You get to see the world before and after things get heavy in this wonderfully executed escalation of scale where you incrementally help out others and build then rebuild your allies. It's the only game I've ever played where I felt like I was on an adventure tailor made for me. I love Breath of the Wild's technology and scope but Ocarina is the one that feels more like an adventure. I'm not sure if it's nostalgia that make me feel that way, my age tells me Wind Waker would be my most nostalgic Zelda game. While I like that game as well, it's also the start of the shallower dungeons and is overall incomplete.
>>
>>377256192
And then Link goes to tell Zelda the shit that's about to go down.
>>
>>377256151
The PS1's limitations were interesting in the sense that you really couldn't see what was around you. I wish indie titles would go in the direction of that weird shit.
>>
File: is this nigga serious.jpg (222KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
is this nigga serious.jpg
222KB, 1920x1080px
>>377256276
>>
>>377256276
Imagine being so lonely and jaded that you call OoT a piece of shit and not worth playing
>>
>>377255983
The atmosphere of the final Ganon phase is incredible
>>
>>377253130
There's definitely that feeling to it.
I also recommend you playing Majora's Mask next. It's not the same thing, but it's extremely melancholic.
>>
>>377255943
No, Dorf is Ben Horn, get with the program.
>>
>>377255983
Agree with this 100%. I dont have the image on hand but if you look up how hyrule castle town looks in the original, then look at the remake, the difference is pretty huge.

The remake is much more colorful, which sounds nice, but it kind of lacks the feeling of grounded realism that comes with more subdued pallets and textures. That feeling of groundedness went a long way towards building oot's world, since it provided a contrast to hyrule's dream-like quality.
>>
File: Ganon_Artwork_(Ocarina_of_Time).png (4MB, 1900x2471px) Image search: [Google]
Ganon_Artwork_(Ocarina_of_Time).png
4MB, 1900x2471px
>>377256642
Fucking rights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpIn2xMJyv4
>>
>>377256642
Yeah and it was pretty impressive to me when I was a kid. Now that i'm an adult I see what's so good about it, like anon above said, it focuses into what a sword and shield adventure should be. It may be a known trope but it's tackled like few games have done it, and the production values in music, graphics and art direction was and still is very good. Characters are memorable and even though they have few lines their quests and dialogues make you care for them.

Then the enemies come around and they're fucked up looking. The temples are great, the concepts and dungeon crawling is awesome and just spot on.

I think it's about just making a good game and leave prententiousness of something else behind, like gimmicks or new trends.
>>
File: 1482053446844.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
1482053446844.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>377256642
>>377256907
The whole thing gets me hype every time. With the lightning and shit, losing the Master Sword, the one weapon created solely for the purpose of defeating Ganondorf knocked right out of your hands by him.

Really, easily, one of the best final battles in videogames that I know of. The whole thing is done just right, and the fact that soundtrack just takes a whole different tone makes it all the more better, especially considering in Zelda Canon, this is where shit either goes right or goes south depending on the outcome of the battle.
>>
File: 200px-MM3D_Majora's_Mask.png (43KB, 200x173px) Image search: [Google]
200px-MM3D_Majora's_Mask.png
43KB, 200x173px
Majora's Mask was much better
>>
>>377256642
I liked how dark it was and you couldn't see his face just his glowing eyes
>>
>>377256728
Ganon is clearly Bob so then its obvious who Ganondorf is. You must be trying to stay spoiler free and playing along with the show's red herring.
>>
File: fotns cry.jpg (65KB, 597x407px) Image search: [Google]
fotns cry.jpg
65KB, 597x407px
>>377253130
>third world
>never even saw a N64 in my life
>download this shit on emulator
>opening plays
>feel like calling the gf I never had to talk about the relationship we never shared
It's got good direction at least
>>
>>377257442
Ben Horn wasn't the Bob host, and wouldn't Demise be Bob?
>>
>>377253130
As much as people like to meme about it, OoT holds up very well in this day and age. I picked up the 3DS version years ago since I never had an N64 as a kid, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. No bullshit overly long tutorial, no extremely vast open world with nothing to do (hyrule field is more of a hub world than anything, and it's not even that bad to traverse compared to most other games in this day and age), areas are concise and memorable, and dungeons all manage to stay unique and interesting. Only real complaint is that some of the bosses like the sentient water monster and the parasite in Jabu Jabus belly are underwhelming.
>>
>>377257508
That's what I am saying dorf would be a bob host
>>
>>377257609
Fair, I suppose. I was more thinking along the lines of Ben's "redemption" in the second season, compared to Dorf's more fleshed out depiction in WW.
>>
>>377255189

It's basically the only game to ever do that properly, which is exactly part of why it's held in such high regard.
>>
>>377257563
Morpha and Barinade were my favorite battles back then when I was a boy.

>those electrical charges
>that cool as fuck spinning murder top of doom
>that animation as Morpha grabs Link and squeezes the life out of him before throwing him across the room

Was always the coolest shit to me, I would recreate with my tub toys whenever I took a bath.
>>
File: OoT - N64 vs 3DS comp chart.png (2MB, 1204x1464px) Image search: [Google]
OoT - N64 vs 3DS comp chart.png
2MB, 1204x1464px
>>377257486
You're a good man.
I got the game almost day-1, by pure accident as well, totally ignorant of the implied hype around it or that it was even related to the "Link games" I'd played on NES way earlier.

After all these years, the opening notes alone make me nostalgic and emotional as hell.

>>377257563
Yeah, it's an amazing game alright. I've seen people play it for the first time 2010s on real deal N64, and all of them had enjoyed it.
I'm not too familiar with the 3DS remake, but I've seen a lot of statements of it being made easier and more pastel-colored in many parts.
Judging from the screenshots alone, they did certainly ruin the misty early morning lighting and some of the darker scenes.
>>
game feels youthful and reminds of ye golden days of being young child when life is full of discovery.
>>
>>377257996
>by pure accident as well, totally ignorant of the implied hype around it

I experienced it the same way. My mum bought it as a gift and I only vaguely knew what it was supposed to be like, having played a store demo of it and having no idea what I was supposed to do. I thought of it as being like some kind of RPG but with platforming elements to it, having no idea just how interactive the world becomes.
>>
>>377255943
>Malon is Shelly

I'm glad that I had crushes on both of them back in the day. Good taste.
>>
>>377258808
Kinda the same.
>Xmas 1998
>parents can't figure out what to buy us as presents, so we go to local, tiny electronics store with a game shelf
>already got Marios, 007, etc, so kinda out of options
>mom picks up Ocarina, says something like "hay, you can ride a horse in this one!", and somehow we pick it up
>totally immersed into the goddamn MANUAL alone while riding back home
Rest is history.
I still replay it annually.
>>
File: 1421676876666.webm (3MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1421676876666.webm
3MB, 1440x1080px
>>377259358
also I guess Saria = Laura makes enough sense
>>
>>377253130
Majoras mask is better. Oot is babbys first zelda. Still better than twilight queer.
>>
File: deku tree.jpg (190KB, 800x440px) Image search: [Google]
deku tree.jpg
190KB, 800x440px
>>377253130
>be me, orphan kid living as an outcast
>get bullied daily by the kids in my village cause tfw no fairy yet
>get one, but also turns out I'm a chosen one or some shit so I guess I gotta go save the world or something
>do it
>fuck yeah, zelda thinks I'm so cool, now I can chill for a bit
>Zelda sends me back to "give me back my childhood" or some bullshit like that
>tfw zelda didn't wanna deal with mentally retarded manchild (literally)
>meet her again, save the world AGAIN, but now no one knows I'm a hero
>also my fairy left me

what the FUCK guys
>>
>>377255983
Yeah I still remember right after you pull the sword and step outside in the future. Holy shit the state of the town was a gut punch.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.