[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grinding in video games: what's the /v/erdict?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 2 (1).jpg (139KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
2 (1).jpg
139KB, 960x641px
Grinding in video games: what's the /v/erdict?
>>
i like grinding

not sure what's wrong with me
>>
As a game mechanic, it's best paired with some sort of limit or with difficult ways to gain attributes.

As a gimmick or an entire game, it's literally hazardous to your health and needs to stop.
>>
I dislike bland ginding
>>
>>377235749
ITS SHIT
>>
>>377235749
If grinding some items is done by doing diffrent takes it's 100% okay if they are fun to do.
Otherwise it's bad
>>
Absolute shit and only enjoyed by autists.
It's only bearable in games where you can set up automatic triggers to grind for you.
>>
Much needed casual filter
>>
>>377236908
That's even worse, why are you even playing the game if you're not gonna play it
>>
grinding and farming are horrible game mechanics

I never understood the appeal of gambling
>>
>>377235749
>boss has a 2% steal rate to get a missable item that is kind of shit, but you need to make something cool later
>there's a 5 minute unskippable cutscene before the fight
This is the worst kind of grind.

If it's just for levels or skills and you never need to do it to succeed then I don't mind grinding.
It's kind of satisfying to max out everything after playing for a long time even if the game is cake once you get started.
Having a bonus boss that is actually challanging at that point usually makes it worth the wait.
>>
>>377235749
Bad

RPGs are best when either enemies don't respawn or the player is rewarded xp for completing objectives only. that largely removes repetition and at the same time drives the player onwards because they're not going to level up unless they progress.
System Shock 2's collectible xp points is also a good system.
>>
grinding is always bad, there's no excuse for it
the only reason grinding exists is developer laziness to artificially increase the length of the game.
Grinding requires no skill and provides no entertainment.
>>
File: arguingthps3.jpg (50KB, 512x332px) Image search: [Google]
arguingthps3.jpg
50KB, 512x332px
It's okay
>>
grinding in Disgaea is really fun
>>
When I need to relax from life (work, family, wife, whatever), grinding in stuff like Diablo 2 or Phantasy Star Online does better then most anything else.
>>
>>377235749
How do you expect me to extend my combos, ollies?
>>
>>377235749
Sometimes its fun

Sometimes it isnt

Depends on the game and what you're doing
>>
File: smug frog.png (468KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
smug frog.png
468KB, 1024x1024px
Whenever I start a game, the first thing I do is conjure up a gorillion bucks. I don't usually do the same with levels, but when playing without the maxed out skills and shit isn't fun, I do. I like to focus on the story and not on the more tedious clerical aspects of games.

When I was a kid played grindy MMOs, I would set up bots. My favorite was in Ragnarok - OpenKore was one the best botting platforms ever made. You could make a really intelligent bot that could even fool an admin if a lot of time was spent on PM recognition.

Used a color recognizer for Runescape. Found the perfect place for the bot as well - North of Falador there was a house with dwarves in the basement. They died in a few hits and did pretty much no damage, not dying is the most important part of botting. Setting up the bot to recognize their skin tone was a guaranteed way of having steady gains during the night.
>>
I just want more blood echoes
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.